Options

Please Stop Using the Word "Critter"

2»

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    Don't forget the 'Loot Critter' that was always looking for someone to talk to.

Well, knowing now 'critter' is their internal name given to all thingies 'living' in-game, that certainly explains a few things. 'Loot critter' was likely then just a place-holder name, to be named meaningfully at some later date.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I always assumed that those were called mobs (or rather MOB = MobileOBject). Those are all targetable non-player entities that can move while vendors and quest NPCs will never ever leave the spot they are standing on. Usually refers to hostile NPCs.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Well, knowing now 'critter' is their internal name given to all thingies 'living' in-game, that certainly explains a few things. 'Loot critter' was likely then just a place-holder name, to be named meaningfully at some later date.

I always imagined that this was the loot critter: http://imgur.com/hQEuGuw

Maybe it can be in the next lockbox as the Lockbox Loot Critter Pet.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I always imagined that this was the loot critter: http://imgur.com/hQEuGuw

Maybe it can be in the next lockbox as the Lockbox Loot Critter Pet.

Lol thats now stuck in my mind !! good one.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I admit that I do quite often use the word "Toon" to describe my Star Trek Online, In-Game Avatar's.

But in my defense, they do approximate that cultural reference in that they are all animated drawings presented on a two dimensional monitor, which is my television screen.

If that offends some folks around here I do humbly apologize, as most of the time I take some pride in being as comprehensive with my use of the English language as I possibly can.

As for the regular colloquial use of many words by a plethora of posters in these forums, I can only say that with education comes a generic willingness to try to abbreviate the time it takes to express ones thought's, to communicate as quickly as possible with fellow posters.
    (though with the new 300 second delay, it would behoove many to use that time to actually use a Spell Check program to their advantage)

It is also quite obvious that many folks around here use their limited thinking skills to blurt out what they actually have on their minds and dammed be the apparent intelligence quotient.

Over all, it seems that taking offense at the use of synoptic language in this conclave, would be as meaningful as attempting to drive ones cranium through a segment of a solidified barrier.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    nbsjdnbsjd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm from Alabama and see nothing wrong with critter.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    I suppose a hypothetical one since political discussions are not allowed. So, say the president of the United fed of planets :)

Rescue him from what, anyway, debt collectors?

From ninjas.

It wasn't a political discussion, it was a reference to an old NES game called Bad Dudes (since the guy I was quoting used that phrase). It had an infamous opening scene where you have to be a bad enough dude to rescue the president after he's kidnapped by ninjas. :P

http://i.imgur.com/CdbWRIf.png
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nbsjd wrote: »
    I'm from Alabama and see nothing wrong with critter.

I'm from Yorkshire, and think they should be called beasts.

Huddersfield Beastmarket. If you want the beast 'uns then you don't ask q'uest uns.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lawstanz wrote: »
    "critter" is not an STO specific usage. It's used by game devs all over the place.

really because I have been gaming since the 70s and this is the ONLY game I have ever seen it used in
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    really because I have been gaming since the 70s and this is the ONLY game I have ever seen it used in
    Well you might have been "gaming" since the '70s but you must not have been on MMO gaming forums much of the last 10-15 years because it is an extremely common word. I will be happy to link some uses of the word on other gaming forums, if you would like such as: SWTOR from 2.5 years ago.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Loot loot the magical fruit, the more you eat it the more you toot lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is this the official "gripe about word usage" thread? Cool.

Stop using "architect" as a verb. Just quit it.

For that matter, why is suddenly every job description that has anything to do with computers some kind of "systems architect'? Just because my wife puts band-aids on my kids' scrapes doesn't qualify her as a 'contusion doctor', so why is it every jake-leg with a Microsoft networking certificate from the Vo-Tech gets to usurp a title that I worked *hard* for many years to attain?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I am ruler of the moon, i have a base on the dark side, you never seen it because i told everyone to keep it a secret :D shhhhhhhh!!!
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sicjeb wrote: »
    The word has different connotations for me:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090887/
    And this is why Starfleet phasers now default to "kill". :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The worst thing is, i think that movie is lying around here somewhere ... lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I always assumed that those were called mobs (or rather MOB = MobileOBject). Those are all targetable non-player entities that can move while vendors and quest NPCs will never ever leave the spot they are standing on. Usually refers to hostile NPCs.
    Critter and mob are synonyms and used more or less interchangably. At least they have been in several muds, EQ, WoW, SWTOR, EvE, Lotro, CoH, DCUO, TSW, ESO and probably other games I can't recall having played off the top of my head. Not saying I necessarily like the term or not. Persoanlly I use MOB, but use of the term "critter" is well established.
  • Options
    abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah 'critter' sounds so uh dirty. I say rename it to 'Trendy Loot' :P
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Am I the only one who cringes when I see some text in game referring to critters or some Dev talking about critters? Its like we are on the Beverly Hillbillies or something.

I saw a bumper sticker a while back that said:

I'd rather be an uneducated idiot, than an educated one.

I expect this sort of thing may have been foremost in the author's mind.

Beverly Hillbillies? Seriously?
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gah! I hate it when my toons see the world critter.. it's so NOT l337 yo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014

While the term isn't used in Pong or Tetris a bunch of MMOs do use it.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm more used to seeing "Chara", "PC" (Player Character), or "Alt" over "Toon" when in reference to one's player character or alternate characters. "Hey what race is your PC?" or "My alt is lower leveled than this chara." Frankly, this is the first "modern" MMO I've seen Toon used in with any regularity.

Same for seeing "NPC", "mob", "item", or "creature" over "critter". It still is hilarious seeing the "Interact with Loot Critter" that shows up while the system is registering that you already did take the item. The least they could do is change it's database entry to Loot Crate, Loot Box, Loot Item, or Loot Drop.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've used "toon" for myself, "alt" for my spare toons and "critter" for anything I have to kill since W.o.W.

It is what everyone else in my guild used, so it is what I have become used to. "Critter" "NPC" or a string of expletives was the normal terms we used in EVE Online.

In Planetside ( 1 and 2 ) I just stick with the string of expletives when referring to whom ever killed me and in STO it depends an where I am.
    I've started using "NPCs" more when on ground maps due to using it for space, but out of habit I do still use "critter" from time to time.