test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DOFF finishing time

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
Whats so wrong with it? Before it was changed to be less well arranged the missions where almost instantly all finished at once after logging in. Now it drags on and on and on... urg.
Post edited by theanothername on

Comments

• Options
    captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Working as intended.

Remember the Cryptic motto : Time Gate EVERYTHING!!!!!

Seriously, it drives me nuts, it's like behind stuck being a geriatric old TRIBBLE on a flight of stairs who has the pace of a snail and keeps stopping to show you pictures of their grandchildren. :mad:

I have to agree with the "working as intended." Look at your duty officer assignments as they're "completing." You can tell which assignments were a success or a failure, the results were already determined by the game when they actually finished. Cryptic put in this INTENTIONAL delay, for what reason I cannot say other than doffing was too beneficial, too rewarding.

It's disgusting how Cryptic went about this too. The duty officer assignments were completing normally prior to a supposed "fix" for some assignments that wouldn't complete. After the "fix," we had to deal with this INTENTIONAL delay. With all the poor design decisions that came prior to and with Delta Rising, I can't even enjoy the last thing I still like in STO.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I have to agree with the "working as intended." Look at your duty officer assignments as they're "completing." You can tell which assignments were a success or a failure, the results were already determined by the game when they actually finished. Cryptic put in this INTENTIONAL delay, for what reason I cannot say other than doffing was too beneficial, too rewarding.

It's disgusting how Cryptic went about this too. The duty officer assignments were completing normally prior to a supposed "fix" for some assignments that wouldn't complete. After the "fix," we had to deal with this INTENTIONAL delay. With all the poor design decisions that came prior to and with Delta Rising, I can't even enjoy the last thing I still like in STO.

I don't understand that completly... :confused:

Before there also always where successes & failures like they are now.
  • Options
    captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't understand that completly... :confused:

Before there also always where successes & failures like they are now.

I meant that the delay we're experiencing now isn't the server calculating the results when we log in with our character. The server calculates the result of the assignment, determining whether it was a success or failure, when the assignment completes as it always did, however, Cryptic added this intentional delay so that we have to wait an additional five to ten seconds before we can click on finished assignment and collect the rewards.

For example:

Queue up a bunch of duty officer assignments. Prior to the "fix," when you log in the next day, the assignments are complete and you can immediately collect the rewards. After the "fix," you cannot immediately collect the rewards. You can go into the "In Progress" tab and see the results of the assignments, but all the assignments are in the process of "Finishing." This "finishing" process takes five to ten seconds per assignment and you cannot collect the rewards until the assignment is finished.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I meant that the delay we're experiencing now isn't the server calculating the results when we log in with our character. The server calculates the result of the assignment, determining whether it was a success or failure, when the assignment completes as it always did, however, Cryptic added this intentional delay so that we have to wait an additional five to ten seconds before we can click on finished assignment and collect the rewards.

For example:

Queue up a bunch of duty officer assignments. Prior to the "fix," when you log in the next day, the assignments are complete and you can immediately collect the rewards. After the "fix," you cannot immediately collect the rewards. You can go into the "In Progress" tab and see the results of the assignments, but all the assignments are in the process of "Finishing." This "finishing" process takes five to ten seconds per assignment and you cannot collect the rewards until the assignment is finished.

About 5 sec per assignment but only one after each other. I would not even have a big problem with 5-10 sec delay for the missions all at once.

I do understand that but to add this delay intentional would be as stupid as it would be vicious. I don't belive it & it does not make sense economically since it reduces the desirability to use that system on multible chars & thus reducing spend dill/other ress on getting better doff for those chars & it does not make sense from a game standpoint because such a delay is just not entertaining (which games are supposed to be).
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    About 5 sec per assignment but only one after each other. I would not even have a big problem with 5-10 sec delay for the missions all at once.

I do understand that but to add this delay intentional would be as stupid as it would be vicious. I don't belive it & it does not make sense economically since it reduces the desirability to use that system on multible chars & thus reducing spend dill/other ress on getting better doff for those chars & it does not make sense from a game standpoint because such a delay is just not entertaining (which games are supposed to be).

While I do not agree this was deliberate till someone gives us a statement from Cryptic about it. There is a reason to do this deliberately. Two that I can think of.

First it slows down farming alts so you can't get an army of alts getting you Dil and mats more swiftly than intended.

Second is that time on the servers is traffic, higher traffic equals greater success. So having you wait for a minute as you login and handle your doff missions before logging out to go do something else, improves the game metrics. It also has a chance of getting you to give more than a few seconds to roll your doffs to the game.
    Think about it. If all you did was rotate your doff and R&D missions then log, you are not really playing and might just do this stuff at lunch break or before work and never interact.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree it's annoying, but there's no need to see timegate conspiracies.

This results from the fix to a bug that caused the new doff UI to show completed assignments as using the wrong doffs. Which was far more annoying, especially with exchange/execution/etc assignments that consumed the doff used.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    While I do not agree this was deliberate till someone gives us a statement from Cryptic about it. There is a reason to do this deliberately. Two that I can think of.

First it slows down farming alts so you can't get an army of alts getting you Dil and mats more swiftly than intended.

Second is that time on the servers is traffic, higher traffic equals greater success. So having you wait for a minute as you login and handle your doff missions before logging out to go do something else, improves the game metrics. It also has a chance of getting you to give more than a few seconds to roll your doffs to the game.
    Think about it. If all you did was rotate your doff and R&D missions then log, you are not really playing and might just do this stuff at lunch break or before work and never interact.

The first one sounds somewhat reasonable; but I'm not talking about a army but 6 chars. There are probably ppl out there who previously did nothing but spending 2h or whatnot on rotating a ton of chars trough doff missions.... but I doubt there where that many that had on massive scale the amount of quality doffs to make it more worth than what can be gained in a few stfs in the same 2 hours.

The second one... thats sounds a bit very theoretical. It sounds more like "what should a dev do to make that happen?" but the practial result, at least with me, is that I just don't really spend some time on some chars currently with which I was more eager before to fill the doff list & (rarely) made a red alert when encountering one while looking for a meaty doff mission on the space map.

If intentional I'm not sure how successfully the, theoretical, target group of mass farmers was annoyed by this to stop it. But I'm sure that it was 100% successful in annoying everybody doing doff missions with more than 1 char.

edit:
    I agree it's annoying, but there's no need to see timegate conspiracies.

This results from the fix to a bug that caused the new doff UI to show completed assignments as using the wrong doffs. Which was far more annoying, especially with exchange/execution/etc assignments that consumed the doff used.

OH. Ok. Yeah....

Then... restore the old UI till its really fixed...? :eek:

Thanks! Makes more sense than "Cryptic hates us" :o
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Meh. What's a few extra seconds ?

Nothing. Its the result of few extra seconds x20(+1-3 Embassy; +1-5 R&D)x[player charactes] that annoys.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh. Well reading the general forum, it seems we players are only using one toon. So ... :P