test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I was so excited to play the Mirror Invasion event!

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
...and then I queued up and remembered why I hated playing it when it debuted.

People still think it works like the first Mirror invasion. They charge in, blow up ships, leave rifts open to continue spawning ships, turn on only one defense sattilite, attempt to nuke the mirror flagship only to be "surprised" that it jumps into a rift and then have the Tribbles to complain about the low mark rewards.

:mad:

Seriously, at this point, I'd rather team up with the Talaxian fleet against the Terrans. Because those guys can maneuver a hell of a lot better than a few of you "Fleet Admirals".

WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO FLY? FRAKKING MORN?

*shakes fist to the heavens*
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Instructions? People are supposed to follow instructions?

MOAR PEWPEW!
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ...and then I queued up and remembered why I hated playing it when it debuted.

People still think it works like the first Mirror invasion. They charge in, blow up ships, leave rifts open to continue spawning ships, turn on only one defense sattilite, attempt to nuke the mirror flagship only to be "surprised" that it jumps into a rift and then have the Tribbles to complain about the low mark rewards.

:mad:

Seriously, at this point, I'd rather team up with the Talaxian fleet against the Terrans. Because those guys can maneuver a hell of a lot better than a few of you "Fleet Admirals".

WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO FLY? FRAKKING MORN?

*shakes fist to the heavens*

now, now be nice it's not their fault.. they been engaged in inappropriate mating behaviors with the spacebar for so long I doubt the can actually see whats going on. :P

it's gotten to where I head desk if I see more then 2 fed cruisers or a scimitar and a jem dread. not that this can't be fine ship but many who use em only have one thing in mind.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    From a sci perspective I got a reminder on why I do not ever want to pug this event again, last night. That reason is, if I am going to close rifts efficiently, it is very helpful to have someone to pull aggro off of me, and of course without any communication in a pug (or lousy communication) this does not happen. I cannot close rifts if all I can see is "Clos--WARNING! SHIP IS UNDER ATTACK! Closi--PEW PEW PEW PEW!"

Sorry...but I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with my fleet on this one from now on. :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People are stupid. Whats new?

If you have a sci ship in storage somewhere, even the free Nebula or Varanus they gave away or an old DSD, might be worth pulling it out for the event. Let the aoe spammers pull all the aggro, you slip in untouched and just close rifts. Finish the entire first phase without ever firing a shot.

Or conversely make yourself crazy driving a non-DPS cruiser. I take mine in and use faw and the threat comm setting to just pull as much hate as I can, make it easy for other people to close......and then headdesk when they come in to join in the shooting rather than use me as the distraction I'm built to be. D'oh!
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2014

If you have a sci ship in storage somewhere, even the free Nebula or Varanus they gave away or an old DSD, might be worth pulling it out for the event. Let the aoe spammers pull all the aggro, you slip in untouched and just close rifts. Finish the entire first phase without ever firing a shot.

Or conversely make yourself crazy driving a non-DPS cruiser. I take mine in and use faw and the threat comm setting to just pull as much hate as I can, make it easy for other people to close......and then headdesk when they come in to join in the shooting rather than use me as the distraction I'm built to be. D'oh!
    I wish it were that simple. But these mooks just stay in the same sector of the map, regardless of closed rifts, just waiting for the other 20 rifts spewing enemy ships to begin their assault on the station, then they charge in there and "defend". Problem is, by that point there are over 30 ships in the map, the rifts are still going and whenever they get overwhelmed, they respawn and jump in again.

It's like I'm playing Dota 2 over here. "EVERYONE CALL THE MIIIIIIID!"

/headdesk

And these people have the AUDACITY to call the Pakleds dumb. Pakleds look like Q by comparison.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited November 2014

rom dsd is godly for rift closing. battle cloaking sci with at least one distraction skill. helps when pugs forget what their supposed to be doing.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2014

People still think it works like the first Mirror invasion.

I don't think so. It's been how long since the old mirror invasion existed? I'd bet most people weren't even around back then.

Now, doesn't make it any less stupid. People still just skip the intro and go pew and die.
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Now I understand why the mission ended so abruptly and we did not get that daily award, lol... I tried my best to close rifts. To prevent agro, I would not shoot at anything until it was closed. I must admit though that I did not read the instructions. So thanks. Hopefully my second attempt will go much better. I would add however that you try to use your frustration constructively. You called me a moron in your op. That was destructive. And yet, reading it helped me to understand what I did wrong and how to do it right. That part was constructive.
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't think so. It's been how long since the old mirror invasion existed? I'd bet most people weren't even around back then.

Now, doesn't make it any less stupid. People still just skip the intro and go pew and die.

I was around for first mirror, but then again I also do my job in the current mirror.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Eh, just do the thing on 'Normal.' It's pathetically easy on Normal, but too difficult, for you random PUG, to do on Advanced. I just take my transporter thingy and call it the day.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • gavshawgavshaw Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would point out there are some who know how to do this event. Last night I got to be part of such a PUG.

We had the defense levels maxed, rifts closed and all Terran ships gone with 5 minutes left on the clock in the first phase. We actually were asking what to do to pass the time (someone said poker and another said that he could cover you if you needed a bathroom break). A couple more rifts did come, but they were quickly dealt with.

Come to think of it, I do not recall even seeing a Typhoon battleship come through at all. We fly out with max marks.

I guess I got lucky there. Tonight will probably be different...
    SigPic_01_zpspudusvou.png

Yes, I fly a Dreadnought cruiser. Deal with it.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I must admit though that I did not read the instructions. .

A behaviour so very typical of STO players. Really.

You can just about trust an average STO player to shoot at the right object, most of the time. Want them to use strategy? You should just forget it, and run with people who you know, who do know what to do.
    edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    A behaviour so very typical of STO players. Really.

You can just about trust an average STO player to shoot at the right object, most of the time. Want them to use strategy? You should just forget it, and run with people who you know, who do know what to do.

I play a lot of games far more complex than STO, like Eve Online or the Civilization series.

I think it's important to think about why it is so typical of STO players.

And the answer is because every mission we encounter has zero strategy and only expects us to shoot at things.
    edited November 2014
    I play a lot of games far more complex than STO, like Eve Online or the Civilization series.

And the answer is because every mission we encounter has zero strategy and only expects us to shoot at things.

and for the most part it seems thats how they like it, see: the reaction every time an enemy or mission needs the slightest bit of the thought.

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014

And on the rare occasion it does have a strategy?

You could put a tutorial in that takes you step by step how to complete it and the average STO player will just ignore it, or complain it takes to long and still ignore it. That is what average STO players are like.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We *are* talking about Advanced, right? LOL. Otherwise this thread is uebersilly. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited November 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    and for the most part it seems thats how they like it, see: the reaction every time an enemy or mission needs the slightest bit of the thought.

I've been playing through the DR content for the past few days. Today I had to do a significant number of patrols. Some of them were pretty long, and most of them were much different than the ones you find in the Alpha Quadrant. I just finished one where you had to help get ships off a planet not only by providing them cover but also by towing them to safety. It was pretty cool. I was glad to see some variety and a bit more complexity to those largely mind-numbing missions. So maybe we can expect a transition in content as we are seeing a transition with many other systems.

I do recall a time when at least some missions required strategy. There was one mission years ago that required 50 or so people on a planet in the middle of war zone with many different objectives that had to be met. I think that was one of the most fun days I ever had playing STO. I can't remember the name of it or if it even exists anymore, but I imagine it's probably near impossible to get enough people queued for those maps to do them, which is a shame. So I agree with you; many people want easy, but it would be possible to support both types of players.

As for the mirror invasion, I did not read the instructions because I did not want to leave the rest of the group behind while doing so. I feel there is social pressure to immediately jump to the mission and finish it as quickly as possible, with little to no communication between the players...no hellos, no goodbyes, and no good jobs. That's a shame as well. STO is the most anti-social MMO that I have ever played.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sure its great if everyone knows what is wanted of them but to be quite honest this event should have a ten man team not just five.
    you need 1 to close the rifts plus two to take the heat off him = 3
    you need 1 to do the power plus two to take the heat off him = 3
    and two to defend the station = 2
    that's 8 players, as they seem to do teams of 5, 10 or 20 it seems sensible to go with 10.
    even if they stepped up the attack force number slightly to compensate it would still be better.

but if you say 5 is enough 2 for rifts 2 for power that only leaves 1 to defend the station and that's just not enough imo.

having said all that you still need to have 1 player who is designated team leader to tell the others what to do, on a random team you may not have players with ships of all types and you don't have to as anyone can do any job it just might take a second or two longer but if no one has told each player what is expected of them its no wonder everyone rushes in blindly, perhaps it might be a help if the game itself delegated each players task at the beginning then it would be justified to complain if anyone is not doing what they are meant to do.

besides which at the end of the game as long as you get the Multidimensional Transporter what does it matter if you gain or loose a few marks here or there, sure if you have got to have the maximum score then only play with fleet mates so you can sort out before you start who is going to do what, but in a random team all you can hope for is that you get some marks (and I always have) when there is no time before the game starts to deligate duties and no player steps up to take the lead and tell the others what to do.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited November 2014
    I've been playing through the DR content for the past few days. Today I had to do a significant number of patrols. Some of them were pretty long, and most of them were much different than the ones you find in the Alpha Quadrant. I just finished one where you had to help get ships off a planet not only by providing them cover but also by towing them to safety. It was pretty cool. I was glad to see some variety and a bit more complexity to those largely mind-numbing missions. So maybe we can expect a transition in content as we are seeing a transition with many other systems.

I do recall a time when at least some missions required strategy. There was one mission years ago that required 50 or so people on a planet in the middle of war zone with many different objectives that had to be met. I think that was one of the most fun days I ever had playing STO. I can't remember the name of it or if it even exists anymore, but I imagine it's probably near impossible to get enough people queued for those maps to do them, which is a shame. So I agree with you; many people want easy, but it would be possible to support both types of players.

As for the mirror invasion, I did not read the instructions because I did not want to leave the rest of the group behind while doing so. I feel there is social pressure to immediately jump to the mission and finish it as quickly as possible, with little to no communication between the players...no hellos, no goodbyes, and no good jobs. That's a shame as well. STO is the most anti-social MMO that I have ever played.

it is nice doing star fleet ish things.

and good thing there is that 1 minute timer before the mission starts so people can watch the video for mirror.

• realwildblurealwildblu Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There are other people in the Mirror Event PUGs?

I hop in my Vesta and use my Danubes to draw aggro while I close the rifts. The process may be slower, but at least my pets perform as expected...
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I usually feel like I solo it.

Fly around turning on the satellites and closing rifts I encounter in-between.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1st time I played the Revised Mirror Invasion(which I enjoy BTW), I had no idea at all what I was supposed to do. It was a PUG and there was a a guy in a Vesta nearby. I thought to myself it would be a good idea to latch onto him and see what he does.

The first rift he tried to close, I tried to help him. Mistake, which I quickly corrected. He kept closing rifts and turning on satellites while I did my best to keep the goon squads off him. It wasn't pretty. We did not chat. But we did get things done.

Most people playing STO have been conditioned to go to Full Impulse and begin tapping the Spacebar as quickly as possible once they are released. Most people playing STO have been conditioned to think only about DPS when putting ship together. "Hey guys? Check out my epeen! 30K DPS long! Betcha wish your epeen was this long. Now if I could only find a Real Live Gurl who is impressed enough by my neckbeard and epeen to have babies with me! Sex with another person! That would be sweeeet!"

Which is one of the reasons why this event can be very frustrating sometimes.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Speaking of tapping spacebar, do so few people know about auto-fire?

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Even after all this time, people still can't press F to close the rifts.

I can typically solo the area I'm at. Close whatever rifts I see on the way to powering up the satellites. Then I turn and see the rest of my team sitting on top of the station while doing nothing else but shooting at the ships spawning. Even though they get a nice fully voiced cutscene explaining to them what to do. They still can't do it. On normal mode.

The STO playerbase sucks.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Even after all this time, people still can't press F to close the rifts.

I can typically solo the area I'm at. Close whatever rifts I see on the way to powering up the satellites. Then I turn and see the rest of my team sitting on top of the station while doing nothing else but shooting at the ships spawning. Even though they get a nice fully voiced cutscene explaining to them what to do. They still can't do it. On normal mode.

The STO playerbase sucks.

lol :D Story of my life in MU. I clear an entire side of rifts and ships while simultaneously activating the 2 satelites on the sides with a sci.ship, then I turn around and the other side if being swarmed with sth. like 30 Typhoons and Kahless knows how many other ships. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014

People are really dense. The MI instructions are pretty damn clear what you need to do. This is the exact same reason why Undine Assault fails so much. Because not a damn soul views the briefing at least once to get even the vaguest of ideas what they're supposed to do. Their failure results in terrible performances on what should be a very straight forward, easy to win instance.

Then again, I see people flying the most expensive ships you can find into Mirror Invasion Normal and have trouble bringing down Mirandas and Tridents. Rodenberry help them if they came across a Typhoon, Noble, or other heavy cruiser. Hell, I see them die to a handful of Mirandas :rolleyes:

And this is on NORMAL difficulty.

The bar for the general STO population is set necessarily low. OMG...

Edit to add: There was a Mirror Inv Normal that I did yesterday that was so embarrassingly bad. Attempts at closing rifts and fixing power relays were going so slow. Whoever was flying the Nebula around the station was doing so bad that the Mirandas and Science Vessels were kicking his TRIBBLE. I'm trying to hurry doing both clearing ships headed to the station as well as close rifts, but it feels like I'm trying to stop the sky from raining. It was hilarious seeing these fools getting TBR'ed by 2 Typhoons, throwing the player ships around like they were getting *****-slapped back and forth between the Typhoons. The performance was so bad that the base technically died 3, possibly 4 times since I was laughing so hard.

Edit to add 2: This thread makes me think about the devs. At least when they make the missions, event instances, etc. Specifically, I wonder how much more can they do with these missions. How much more elaborate. How difficult they need it to be. And the conversations they have about setting that. Whether the average STO player can deal with having to repair themselves after something shoots at them.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Speaking of tapping spacebar, do so few people know about auto-fire?
    I'm pretty sure using autofire would make things worse... Unless it doesn't break interacts as soon as something enters firing range.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Edit to add 2: This thread makes me think about the devs. At least when they make the missions, event instances, etc. Specifically, I wonder how much more can they do with these missions. How much more elaborate. How difficult they need it to be. And the conversations they have about setting that. Whether the average STO player can deal with having to repair themselves after something shoots at them.

Maybe that's why one of the biggest changes to the new Advanced/Elite was adding more hit points, and not trying to do fancier mission scripts or fancier tactics*. "Shoot it until it explodes without exploding yourself" is still a concept everyone can grasp, even if the implementation may still be difficult to some since they are stuck with suboptimal Bridge Officer abilities or gear and have no good information on how to improve that from the game itself.

*) That is not entirely true. The Vaduuvar definitely fight differently than other opponents before them. The enemies actually seem to make attack runs and stuff like that. The hit points and the "undergearedness" of level 60 characters help them to show that off better.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gavshaw wrote: »
    We had the defense levels maxed, rifts closed and all Terran ships gone with 5 minutes left on the clock in the first phase. We actually were asking what to do to pass the time (someone said poker and another said that he could cover you if you needed a bathroom break). A couple more rifts did come, but they were quickly dealt with.
    I've had that happen a couple of times (usually when running with at least one fleetmate); it's very satisfying to clear decks like that.
    Come to think of it, I do not recall even seeing a Typhoon battleship come through at all.
    I can't recall this particular event having any accolades associated with it, but managing to prevent any Typhoons from spawning would be worthy of one... perhaps it would be called 'Storm, Dissipated'?
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The average player in STO (those who can maybe barely handle Normal queues) is amazingly stupid.

"I see ships! FULL SPACEBAR TO PEWPEW!"

That's all they can do even with extremely clear instructions.

So for those queues that you can do that in...you're kinda okay. Anything that is more complicated (like say, MI), you're generally screwed.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!