test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Replacing my Nebula

guard41guard41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Federation Discussion
I do love my fleet nebula, it was always such a tough ship, out of all this ships I have, it is my favorite, over my fleet avenger, the arkif and my karfi. I even managed to squeeze a decent 10k dps out of it! Nothing too fancy, fleet weapons and set combos to boost damage and stuff, Has a Gravity Well that nothing escapes from.

However, Even if I were to upgrade it to T5-U. It simply would not have the damage needed to compete anymore. True it is a science ship, and I like my science toys, but I also like being able to crunch through a ship without falling asleep.

So I am asking about a suitable replacement. The only ship I can think of is the Voth Palisade.
When upgrading it gets a 3rd Tactical console and because of its bridge officer setup, I could run 2 tactical (like I do with my nebula). though I lose a science skill and gain a tactical one, but that's ok I think I would drop tractor beam repulsors.

Is there any other ships out there I may have missed? I prefer them to be tougher though.

Post edited by guard41 on

Comments

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I still love my Wells class and Vesta. Theyre awesome Sci ships, and as you stated the palisade is also a great sci ship (and on par with the wells and vesta)

Vesta for the 5 sci console slots and carrier ability
    Wells for all around performance
    Palisade for the 5 sci console slots and cloaking device

The other ship im considering is the Tholian Recluse which is a carrier, but has a nice uni boff layout for sci minded players.

I havent been overly impressed by the T6 sci ships, so Ill wait till one catches my eye.
    Althought a fleet mate of mine swears the Dauntless is great for sci and dps performance.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do like the look of the Nebula, so if they ever release an upgraded version Ill probably take a good hard look at it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • guard41guard41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hmm. I hadn't thought about the new ships. I see a lot of the eclipse about. (I think that is what it is).

thankyou for the idea :)

Yeah I love the look of my nebula too :)
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The eclipse is an amazing cruiser but has very poor sci capabilities, the scryer and the dauntless are the (only) T6 sci ships.
    As everyone else mentioned the Vesta, Wells and Palisade are still top of the line sci ships and can still compete with T6 ones, which are also pretty good. As fed you have a broad lineup of sci ships to choose from. It only depends on how much you're willing to spend , escpecially for the lockbox ships.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A fleet Nebula, specced for exotic damage with lots of particle generators, gravity well, Tyken rifts and TBR may very well be the ultimate weapon against the vaadwaur because those abilities hit hard.

I like the looks of the Dauntless and are interested in the new intel ships, though they cost a lot, but it seems premature to replace the fleet nebula.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    A fleet Nebula, specced for exotic damage with lots of particle generators, gravity well, Tyken rifts and TBR may very well be the ultimate weapon against the vaadwaur because those abilities hit hard.

I like the looks of the Dauntless and are interested in the new intel ships, though they cost a lot, but it seems premature to replace the fleet nebula.

Does TR do enough damage to use it in a PartiGen build? I've recently been experimenting with the conversion of my Fleet Nebula from a drain build to Particle Generator, and miss my Tyken's Rift.

I guess the question that's the flip side of the coin would be, if you're specced for PG instead of Flow Caps, does Tyken's Rift do enough drain to bother with?

Thanks,
    Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Haven't run the numbers myself, but from what i hear a properly specced TR is close to GW3 in damage and has the energy drain.

Perhaps one of the science wizards can crunch the numbers. All i know is that i found the advanced vaadwaur and Hirogen easiest to take down in my science heavy (lots of particle gens) Adapted BC.

Still doing the mastery for my ships and haven't gotten to the nebula yet.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited October 2014
    Interesting. I had it in my head that TR's base damage wasn't enough to bother with; serves me right for not taking a closer look, eh?

On my Nebula, then, my first thought at working Tyken's Rift back in would be to replace the current setup of GW3/FBP2/TBR1 with GW3/TR2/FBP1. I'll change my boff training tonight and see how it does.

Thanks very much for the food for thought.

Later on,
    Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guard41 wrote: »
    I do love my fleet nebula, it was always such a tough ship, out of all this ships I have, it is my favorite, over my fleet avenger, the arkif and my karfi. I even managed to squeeze a decent 10k dps out of it! Nothing too fancy, fleet weapons and set combos to boost damage and stuff, Has a Gravity Well that nothing escapes from.

However, Even if I were to upgrade it to T5-U. It simply would not have the damage needed to compete anymore. True it is a science ship, and I like my science toys, but I also like being able to crunch through a ship without falling asleep.

So I am asking about a suitable replacement. The only ship I can think of is the Voth Palisade.
    When upgrading it gets a 3rd Tactical console and because of its bridge officer setup, I could run 2 tactical (like I do with my nebula). though I lose a science skill and gain a tactical one, but that's ok I think I would drop tractor beam repulsors.

Is there any other ships out there I may have missed? I prefer them to be tougher though.

What's wrong with a T5-U Fleet Nebula for PvE? (Assuming it's PvE.)

You might need to change your build around so it focuses on partigen and plasma torp damage more effectively, but you shouldn't have any problems killing NPCs.

Send us your current build. We'll take a look. (Don't let Cryptic take you away from your favourite ship / pay money.)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014

This. My FT5U-Nebula is now a tractor-towship of doom, tugging enemies around, leaving them in a warp plasma cloud, feeding them with tricobalt mines. It's magnificient :)

Provisional build on STO-Academy (Provisional because the Tricobalt Cluster Torp is missing, that's the torp in the back). Note that this build requires the TBR Voth doff.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • selunite1982selunite1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm just going to throw this out there. It seems to me that in the new Advanced / Elite missions it would be a good idea to have a ship around that maybe can't do a huge amount of damage but can control the movement of enemies on the battlefield. To that end I was considering putting one of my sci captains back into her fleet nebula and running gravity well holds and eject warp plasma holds. Toss some Tractor beam mines on there and things just won't move. The rest of it you can set up to support / heal the rest of the group.
    You won't be a huge damage dealer but I think at least one ship like this in any adv/elite stf would be a valuable asset.
    Don't give up on your nebula just yet :D I can feel the return of the science vesse in my bones!
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree with alot of the previous posters; rather than having to retire your favorite ship, we can help you try to adjust your ship's build. Heck, when I finally get to the DR content I definitely know I'll be asking for build advice (currently just mucking around with DoFFs and preparing for the MI event).
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't plan to give up my tac Vesta anytime soon... so you should just work on your build and synergize it with your captain and roles.

On a Joined Trill Engineer running the tac Vesta: so I know I can throw in 100 power to AUX and keep Weapons at 50, Engines and Shields at 25. Because I can handle power management

So with GW 3, Energy Siphon 2, I trigger both right after hitting Emergency Power to AUX 1.

After hitting that keybind to trigger the GW combo, I hit my space bar keybind to trigger TT1, APO 1, BFAW 2, TS 2 for fun.

Throw in EPtS1, RSF 3 and you become tanky also.

The BOFFs with 2 Rom and 2 Efficient plus 1 human along with my DOFFs for Warp Core Engineer, Damage Control Engineer, Grav Scientist and Deflector Officer all help me keep everything running... it helps since I use AP beams and keep my Crit Chance at 21% and Crit Sev at 110% plus 40% accuracy.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was told Gravity Well and Tyken Rift are getting in each other's way and I should focus only on GW.

So I never paired them.

:confused:
    edited October 2014
    I was told Gravity Well and Tyken Rift are getting in each other's way and I should focus only on GW.

So I never paired them.

They share a cooldown. That's why. You can't trigger GW3 then TR2 right after.

That's why I chose Energy Siphon 2 instead.
    edited October 2014

So I never paired them.

Activating one causes a 15s cooldown of the other. I avoided it for months b/c of that, but once I tried it, I found it to be better than my concerns would have had me believe.

Generator
    =================

edited October 2014
    Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! That's it

Well, after about 1 1/2 years of rather playing Barbie in the game instead of doing some ship building, I lost some knowledge. :D
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    GW and TR share a 15 second cool down... however GW lasts 18 seconds. After 15 seconds you have a 3 second window to pop TR on the mass of targets. Works better than most think.
    edited October 2014
    tgo533 wrote: »
    GW and TR share a 15 second cool down... however GW lasts 18 seconds. After 15 seconds you have a 3 second window to pop TR on the mass of targets. Works better than most think.

I think you can use either a specific few Deflector Officer doffs http://sto.gamepedia.com/Specialization:_Deflector_Officer#Deflector_recharge_variant and Gravimetric Scientists http://sto.gamepedia.com/Specialization:_Gravimetric_Scientist#Cooldown_variant to help
    edited October 2014
    I will post my build later. I think I can write it all out nice and neat. I am not very good at using that academy thing yet.

I am curious. I think I do have good particle generators and flow caps, how does tyken's rift fit in with, and would that be a good replacement for tractor beam repulors. I'm not sure exactly what TR even is.
    edited November 2014
    Fleet Nebula (not upgraded)

4x fleet plasma beam arrays accx2 damx2
    1 kinetic cutting beam
    1 romulan experimental plasma beam array
    MACO Engine and Deflector
    Adapted Maco Shield array

Zero point, leech and assimilated console
    2 fleet neutroniums 1 +turn 1 +hullhp
    2 fleet embassy consoles 1+ shield emitters and one was +particles but now its nothing because I tried to upgrade it and it removed that part.

2 fleet spire tactical consoles +Critical chance

also a field generator

elite fleet core [W->S] [amp]+ shield +aux +17.5 engines (I am thinking of changing this for one at the spire)

Everything is Mark XII except for the tactical consoles they are now Mk XIII

Hull 49k shields 20k
    crit chance %19 severity %85.2
    23% bonus accuracy

flow caps 104
    graviton 124
    particles 104

Bridge officers

2xTT BFAW and APB

EP2S1 RSP2 Aux2Sif2

HE1 PHP1 TSS2 TBR2 GW3

I would be willing to switch out TBR for something else. they are very situational.

Also, how would the Gel Pack console work for this ship?

I recently foundout I was put on a list here http://comatoes.github.io/sto-dps-league/

i'm not sure what that means but this ship was tracked at just over 10k , which I like :) But would like to know about some more without changing things too much! :)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,675 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If I may, why not the fleet Nova? LCDR tac to give a bit more tactical flexibility, Cdr, LT and Ens science. a bit weak on eng with only an LT
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You should stay in the Nebula. Its a fine ship.

I pilot it with one of my Engineer Alts. It does make a nice combination of cruisers and science ships.

Fitted right, its the multi-function tool overall :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Deflector abilities like energy siphon and tachyon beam, when used with deflector doffs in the active duty space roster, reduce the cooldowns on grav well and tykens rift. That can make it where a few seconds after you send out grav well, you can follow up with tykens rift. Couple that with a gravimetric scientist in the active duty space roster to spawn more grav wells or tykens rifts is also really nice to use too.
    It works well with drain focused builds with CDR and LCDR science BO seating, but should work OK with CDR and LT sci seating too.
    edited November 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    Deflector abilities like energy siphon and tachyon beam, when used with deflector doffs in the active duty space roster, reduce the cooldowns on grav well and tykens rift. That can make it where a few seconds after you send out grav well, you can follow up with tykens rift. Couple that with a gravimetric scientist in the active duty space roster to spawn more grav wells or tykens rifts is also really nice to use too.
    It works well with drain focused builds with CDR and LCDR science BO seating, but should work OK with CDR and LT sci seating too.

i thought about this Doff combinations too and already bought some VR Little Helpers.

So this cooldown reduction and the TR and GW aftershocks with ES and TB, seems very overkilling.

As if it is the offensive Science equivalent to the Engineers Aux2Bat :D
    edited November 2014
    What exactly, does Tyken's Rift do? I've looked at it in game and I'm not sure I understand correctly.I would replace TBR if I knew I would get more use out of it. Is it useful for control or damage?

I do love the aftershock gravity wells, watching all those borg spheres bobble back and forth is funny :) and I am thinking about that Gel Pack console to boost power, more shields (omg the fleet nebula is already strong) and that recharge reduction to bridge officer abilities :)
    edited November 2014
    Hey,

Tyken's Rift is another AOE power. It does some PartiGen-boosted damage, and also drains power from affected ships. It has a 15s mutual cooldown with Gravity Well, so best practices is to drop a Well, let that draw in ships, then follow up with Tyken's. If you're rocking your PartiGen skill, this can hurt. Of course, it'll also draw aggro to you, which is when Feedback Pulse comes in handy (and oh look, that works on Aux Power and PartiGen skill too...). :)

I hope this helps!

Generator
    =================

• knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Haven't run the numbers myself, but from what i hear a properly specced TR is close to GW3 in damage and has the energy drain.

Perhaps one of the science wizards can crunch the numbers. All i know is that i found the advanced vaadwaur and Hirogen easiest to take down in my science heavy (lots of particle gens) Adapted BC.

Still doing the mastery for my ships and haven't gotten to the nebula yet.

Since when does tractor beam repulsors do energy drain?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • theonlyhamster#0636 theonlyhamster Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Can anyone help me on this matter please?
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1286941
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Since when does tractor beam repulsors do energy drain?

A tractor beam duty officer can add -10 engine power per pulse to TBRs. The downside is that TBRs will push the ships out of reach, so you don't deal constant damage and don't profit from a drain effect over the whole 10s of TBR. The Voth tractor doff that turns TBR into a pull beam will however greatly enhance your damage potential, although you won't be able to slot the drain officer then. Decisions...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou