edited October 2014
    solspot wrote: »
    I dont want STO to recover.

this^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    STO has seen far, FAR more dire days. When was that?

2010. STO's release. Many out there have absolutely no clue how bad STO was at release. And the problem only multiplied if you were playing KDF at the time. It was that bad.

And here's STO still at 2014, almost going into 2015.

Reports of the game's demise were, and still are, greatly exaggerated.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014

These days, I feel more inclined to agree with this statement.

Cryptic has had 4 MMOs launched in the past 10-12 years, and each and every one of them, has been full of bugs and various glitches, for many years. City of Heroes (their first MMO), only became a good game after it was sold to NCSoft. Granted, NCSoft eventually shut the game down, but the quality of the game improved by leaps and bounds.

When Cryptic released their next superhero-MMO (Champions Online), I expected a level of hero customization to equal or exceed that of City of Heroes. To this day, Champions is still lacking in customization. These days, Champions is virtually on "maintenance mode", as it hasn't seen any major updates in well over a year. Similarly, the amount of updates to STO have become less frequent after they launched Neverwinter. Neverwinter had several things that were definitive improvements over STO (most notably, the Neverwinter Foundry). Despite promises to port some of the Neverwinter Foundry back into STO's Foundry, we're still waiting.

I have no doubt STO is headed towards "maintenance mode", and the recent debacle will just expedite this inevitability.

STO needs to die, and a different company/dev team needs to be put in charge of developing a new STO. I will not contribute financially to the continued existence of STO, nor will I recommend to any of my friends to play the game. I will also discourage others on any forum, or any gaming site that mentions the topic of STO, from playing. STO has/had potential, but that potential is squandered, when certain people are put in charge of it's development and decisions.
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    With all of the known bugs that are plaguing STO since the launch of DR, with the Katrina-sized debacle and backlash over the “exploit” issue in Tau Dewa, with the rollbacks, nerfs and whatnot… what chance does STO have of recovering to a pre-DR point? Even if they did, would it be enough?

It seems the real issues are stacking up while, for the most part, communication and dev support is down. Tacofangs was on earlier and shared what info he could. It wasn’t much, but at least it was something. With Smirk on vacation, it seems that the bug-squashing duties have fallen to the waste side; most devs have their own projects to concentrate on and Cryptic as a whole is more interested, it seems, in pushing new content than fixing the existing errors. IN short, this business model is not working. Something has to change, and the sooner the better.

I can not speak for the entirety of the player base, nor do I attempt to do so, but I think many will agree with me when I say: don’t worry about pushing new content. Let us digest this and even feed on the old content while you fix the bugs and issues currently in the game. If that means that new content isn’t released until the next summer event of 2015, so be it. Who can enjoy a winter event with the crash bugs that are sending people randomly to their desktops or the massive lag spikes?

You’ve known about many of these bugs since Tribble. You’ve had time to focus on them prior to launch. If I hired a company to, as an example, create a website for my business and they rushed to put out a glitch, shoddy site, I’d consider suing them to withhold payment if they were unwilling to communicate or resolve the issue quickly. Yes, we know that all bugs can’t just be fixed in a day. We don’t expect them to be. We DO expect a steady stream of communication and assurance these issues are being addressed. We expect that more than one individual is working on these bugs and the rest of the team isn’t locked into side projects. If it’s broken, it’s broken. If things are going to be delayed, they’ll be delayed but FFS tell us about it.

If you can’t manage that then, without laying blame on individual names, consider giving STO to someone who can manage these tasks in a timely manner.

Will the players recover? Probably. After all, we, like PWE, have more than one game to involve ourselves in. Will STO recover? That’s an entirely different question, don’t you think?

I agree. No new content please. Let me catch up. :cool:
  • Options
    paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So much drama :) this is better than the game at times.

I would rather watch this game burn and fail so that eventually a GOOD Star Trek game can emerge not handled by a team that cant even make a title succeed unless it has a famous IP attached to it.

History of terrible programming and failure, lack of communication and condescending attitude towards their cash farm.

So yeah, I HOPE STO fails, so another company can come fill the gap and make something BETTER with all the new technology out there.

This entire post is pure insanity. Why on earth are you sitting here posting here if you feel that way? What a waste of energy.
  • Options
    solspotsolspot Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    STO has seen far, FAR more dire days. When was that?

2010. STO's release. Many out there have absolutely no clue how bad STO was at release. And the problem only multiplied if you were playing KDF at the time. It was that bad.

And here's STO still at 2014, almost going into 2015.

Reports of the game's demise were, and still are, greatly exaggerated.

Thats because the games design left people with hope it could change.

The new design erradicates hope, unless you have a big wallet because hope now has a $.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thats because the games design left people with hope it could change.

The new design erradicates hope, unless you have a big wallet because hope now has a $.

Trust me when I say there wasn't much hope in those early days. And again, most esp so on the KDF side of things. You're seeing things from more recent eyes. You weren't there at the beginning :cool:

Example: For the KDF, to level, you only had 2 viably good ways. PVE missions were almost nonexistent for the KDF.

PVP all the time at every level (because at the time, there was PVP going from T1 to the Level max of 40 at the time).

Run "Empire Defense" missions to infinity.

Care to wager which route the KDF playerbase did? It's the reason why KDF players on average for so long were more savvy in PVP :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    paareth wrote: »

This entire post is pure insanity. Why on earth are you sitting here posting here if you feel that way? What a waste of energy.
    Somehow I can only agree. Debates about what makes a good ST game is one thing, and can even go into the angle of 'gameplay should be fun vs. gameplay should reflect ST' - but by no means is STO's existence a stain on ST, even if you hate it. It's only semi-canon for crying out loud, like the books - it's basically a what-if extension of the prime ST, but separate at the same time.

If you like it, you like it. If you don't, then you don't.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    solspotsolspot Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    paareth wrote: »

Says the guy who feeds off forum drama?

Seriously you need to question your own sanity before calling mine out.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Will we recover?
    There's nothing to recover from. You're not entitled to anything more than what you're provided, sans what you purchase.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    the biggest threat to this game is ED and SC, both are going to soak up a lot of space-shooter players

Problem is: both SC and ED are twitch combat, space dogfight sim for very young people with a hint of ADHD. Us older folks prefer a more relaxed, laid back style combat. This game is Star Trek and even if you just play it casually you can progress your toons. This is not available in neither SC nor ED.

So we stay.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    There's nothing to recover from. You're not entitled to anything more than what you're provided, sans what you purchase.

Who said anything about entitlement?

Look, it's the first thing in the morning here and I am getting ready for work, so forgive me if I don't reiterate the point and ask you read the post again before making wild assumptions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I honestly don't care whether or not "we" recover. It's a freaking video game, people. Have some perspective. I enjoy playing STO but I wouldn't lose any sleep if the game were to close tomorrow. There are plenty of other games to play.
  • Options
    potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If only people responded to sports people the way sto fanbois berate them here the world would instantly be a better place.

"Dude it's just sports, chill."

But for those people it's more than just sports.

Please stop denigrating people for expressing concern. If it's just a game for you then just stfu and let players talk.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If only people responded to sports people the way sto fanbois berate them here the world would instantly be a better place.

"Dude it's just sports, chill."

But for those people it's more than just sports.

Please stop denigrating people for expressing concern. If it's just a game for you then just stfu and let players talk.

But they also have their place to say 'you're taking this too seriously', if they believe it sounds like that for some. Plus it's their right to say so, really.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The thing that gets me is how the expansion causes new bugs and also brings back old bugs that had been previously fixed.

I'm sure they'll recover, but it is insane to think a bug that's been fixed once comes back repeatedly with each new 'update'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The 300 second post timer is a *very* bad sign. That's desperation right there
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The 300 second post timer is a *very* bad sign. That's desperation right there
    Even if intentional, it won't be that big of a deal - plus it might help prevent the infusion of multiple threads for the same issue, and instead concentrate it into one/few.

And yes, I have run into it myself before I said the above.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As of yet the history during f2p has been no matter what their profit has gone up.

Through 2½ years of nerfs of litterly everything in the game - straight up features players were using and enjoying like mirror event, tour the galaxy and exploration, they have continued to profit and the star trek fans and the whales have accepted anything and everything.

I don't see a scenario in which that stops.

Even with half dead queues and 200% reduction in dil it's not really a problem.

Call it player amnesia or whatever but anyone coming into the game now or after a nerf doesn't know any better.

One day new people playing eSTF for 30 dil I see that happening easy

At the end of the day it's a star trek game and it's free.

So as much as the game is at an ultimate low, in neck deep, I am not at all worried about the profit side

Good gameplay and new or amount of content seem to be totally un-related to profit
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, Cryptic did manage a back-door way to reduce lag in the social zones; there were so few players online early this morning in DS9, I had no lag at all. Usually, the place is teeming with all those pesky low-budget computer players, who lag the servers with their dial-up connections... :)

/s
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Says the guy who feeds off forum drama?

Seriously you need to question your own sanity before calling mine out.

Not that easy to bait ;), nice try though. You'll have to explain what you mean in more detail as I haven't a clue. I am feeding off of forum drama how? By asking you to stop? To try something more constructive? Makes sense, no wait, it doesn't.

You hate STO great, wonderful you wish it would end fantastic, and you're here on the forum telling everyone that. Why? Why are you not doing something you'd like doing more. If all you are doing is spreading misery you're beating your head against a wall.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,865 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    I honestly don't care whether or not "we" recover. It's a freaking video game, people. Have some perspective. I enjoy playing STO but I wouldn't lose any sleep if the game were to close tomorrow. There are plenty of other games to play.

Probably will be true..and STO won't recover from this one. Some care more than others but you are right after all is only a game. However, PWE making tons of money out of this game....regardless of what the playerbase thinks
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The game will get new players. Just how much that will take, I'm not sure.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1) The fact that Stephen D'Angelo (current STO EP) made what was only his second post to the forums (the first being his announcement to the playerbase that he was again taking the STO EP position) is probably the ONLY public acknowledgement Cryptic will make on the subject.

2) As for "never doing it again" -- hahahahahaha! The next time they have a major programming screwup (and I will not say IF, as with their history, it's just a matter of time before they do something similar again); they'll do whatever they feel is required, and hope it doesn't cause a mass exodus of players to the point PWE decides to sunset the game.

Personally, I think this is probably the worst overall screwup Cryptic has made (in terms of forward facing PR) with STO - and again, given the development history of STO, that's saying a lot for just how bad this all was handled. That said, overall, the player response on the forums is nowhere near the level it was when the Season 7 Dill reward reductions happened (a reaction so large and widespread amongst STO players that they reversed said changes in about 24 hours.)
    With season 7 we still cared for this game, now we just leave...
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure the game is doing just fine. This will all blow over just like every other brush with the players. Most will adjust their tactics and continue on and new people will of course start playing a F2P game. Old players will come back to see what the expansion is about and many folks that just do the events will start the winter event in another month.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    raz1980raz1980 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I like playing sto on and off but i won't be putting my hand into my wallet again for these people, its an rip off that they increase the zen prices on the new T6 ships and at the same time reducing the dill rewards. Way to go clap clap clap :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    I'm sure the game is doing just fine. This will all blow over just like every other brush with the players. Most will adjust their tactics and continue on and new people will of course start playing a F2P game. Old players will come back to see what the expansion is about and many folks that just do the events will start the winter event in another month.

I am also sure that a lot of dissapointed players like me will continue to play a little (or at least dualbox it with TOR, WOW etc) for free, too outraged to spend one cent, but enjoying the game enough not to quit.

STO still has a pretty unique space combat system that can be fun on normal setting.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is nothing new. The forums are on a six month cycle of these blowups. Its happened a dozen times since Beta. STF-exclusive gear was going to 'kill the game' because it was elitist and most players were casual. The Foundry was going to 'kill the game' because it was going to be exploited by everyone and all the dev effort was going to go into expanding the Foundry rather than new content. Going f2p was going to 'kill the game'....all the devs were going to leave for Neverwinter and 'kill the game'...etc. etc. etc.

You always have a certain percentage of your customers who get disgruntled by any change (or by lack of change) and an even smaller minority of them who are going to be vocal about it. The vast majority of players don't read the forums. Even a smaller minority of those are actually moved to post. Those who post are mostly the ones who have complaints and usually the ones who are most upset, because everyone else would rather play the game than read threads. Its a really horrible way to judge the state of the game.

Because Star Trek fans are particularly passionate, these forums tend to be likewise. I have, during several of the above mentioned 'crises' suggested that Cryptic should just close down the Forums entirely, as they were doing more harm than good.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg