test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive PVE?

themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
As the title suggests, would it be possible for a massive PVE in the future? Like 50 to 100 players and would anyone want something like it? Maybe like a big kerrat. Just curious myself :D
"Helm Prepare Maneuver Circle Target Alpha, Tactical Prepare BFAW3 and mash Spacebar"

Post edited by themic609 on

Comments

• lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Better do it soon, at this point there won't be 50-100 players left in a couple months.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    themic609 wrote: »
    As the title suggests, would it be possible for a massive PVE in the future? Like 50 to 100 players and would anyone want something like it? Maybe like a big kerrat. Just curious myself :D

Lol no, the game engine cant even properly render 20 people (see fleet defense). 100 would cause the game to flatline.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    As much as I'd like to see that... I think the closest we're gonna get is the battlezones. We're struggling to fill the current 20 man queues as it is.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Lol no, the game engine cant even properly render 20 people (see fleet defense). 100 would cause the game to flatline.
    This. It would be laggy on every computer, even the best, the game wouldn't render half the effects/sounds, and invisible torpedoes would fly everywhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So I guess from the responses we could expect some alpha tests of this in 25 years? lol
    "Helm Prepare Maneuver Circle Target Alpha, Tactical Prepare BFAW3 and mash Spacebar"

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    themic609 wrote: »
    So I guess from the responses we could expect some alpha tests of this in 25 years? lol
    The problem is that this is a FTP game. That means there are people playing it on $200.00 computers with integrated graphics and people playing it on $10,000.00 computers with the best graphics cards money can buy. Some people in low-end systems get bogged down in 20-man Fleet Actions - you can see them hopscotching around the map. The more players and foes you put into a map the more strain it puts on lower-end systems. There is no advantage to making content which alienates half, or more, of your player-base.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm playing this on a 4 year old laptop lol. I see where you're coming from. Shame nobody does fleet ques anymore.

• banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    There is no advantage to making content which alienates half, or more, of your player-base.

Then how do you explain Delta Rising?

*ba-dum-tish!*
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Crystalline Catastrophe is a good yardstick to measure the capabilities of the game engine.

That mission only has 10 players yet there are instances where your energy beams are not rendered and more recently either the Crystalline Entity has somehow obtained cloaking technology or the game engine is not rendering it from time to time.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Crystalline Catastrophe is a good yardstick to measure the capabilities of the game engine.

That mission only has 10 players yet there are instances where your energy beams are not rendered and more recently either the Crystalline Entity has somehow obtained cloaking technology or the game engine is not rendering it from time to time.
    That was actually a glitch in the software, not a engine limitation - as it was not only happening in the CE event. There is a Dev post about that on the forum somewhere.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to see that... I think the closest we're gonna get is the battlezones. We're struggling to fill the current 20 man queues as it is.

8472 zone with 20 ships plus multiple npcs, planetkiller ship, background and doodads nearby on the map, shield effects, weapons fire, special effects from boff powers, fludic blobs and rift itself with its pull effect. planetkiller firing away, ships exploding..

even on my powerful rig which if this game engine was far more optimized to play on the graphics card could run this 3x over on maximum, but the problem is the game engine itself has always been an issue, even the devs cant get around or dont want to get around some the issues because it would take a long time to get at.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    8472 zone with 20 ships plus multiple npcs, planetkiller ship, background and doodads nearby on the map, shield effects, weapons fire, special effects from boff powers, fludic blobs and rift itself with its pull effect. planetkiller firing away, ships exploding..

even on my powerful rig which if this game engine was far more optimized to play on the graphics card could run this 3x over on maximum, but the problem is the game engine itself has always been an issue, even the devs cant get around or dont want to get around some the issues because it would take a long time to get at.

That's the sad part about this whole issue with STO's performance issues. The Dev's don't want to even attempt to optimize it, cause it would take away there time to release new content. How ever if they were smart they'd overhaul the engine entirely, at the current rate there adding new content with higher system requirements etc *there so called minimum atm is severely out dated* there eventually kill there own engine due to lack of keeping it up to date.

I mean look at EVE for example, they regularly update there engine to keep up to date with the changing times, there is no reason Cryptic can't do the same, its just that they care more about profits then they apparently do there game, which is a pretty crappy way to look at your game, especially when it is one based on a series like Star Trek, where there are Millions of fans.

Lets just hope there pull that proverbial stick out of there TRIBBLE and finally get to work on things that Actually need it, like for starters removing this Exp Grinding BS >.> No-one likes it and STO wasn't Intended to be a Grind Fest in the First Place! It was made to be Fun! o.O.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    That's the sad part about this whole issue with STO's performance issues. The Dev's don't want to even attempt to optimize it, cause it would take away there time to release new content. How ever if they were smart they'd overhaul the engine entirely, at the current rate there adding new content with higher system requirements etc *there so called minimum atm is severely out dated* there eventually kill there own engine due to lack of keeping it up to date.

I mean look at EVE for example, they regularly update there engine to keep up to date with the changing times, there is no reason Cryptic can't do the same, its just that they care more about profits then they apparently do there game, which is a pretty crappy way to look at your game, especially when it is one based on a series like Star Trek, where there are Millions of fans.

Lets just hope there pull that proverbial stick out of there TRIBBLE and finally get to work on things that Actually need it, like for starters removing this Exp Grinding BS >.> No-one likes it and STO wasn't Intended to be a Grind Fest in the First Place! It was made to be Fun! o.O.

Yeah, even if they DID go out of their way to optimize it, then what will happen is everyone will complain that there is no new content at all........It is a no win scenario for the devs.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I've seen like 30 in an undine space zone and for me it goes like a flipbook. A liittle better these days but still very slow frame by frame.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, even if they DID go out of their way to optimize it, then what will happen is everyone will complain that there is no new content at all........It is a no win scenario for the devs.

on top of the money it would cost in the long run and what direction to take the engine.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.