test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mystery of the Magic Tau Dewa Nerf solved!

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
After following multiple threads on the subject I believe I (amongst others) have arrived at THE conclusion as to the closure of the Tau Dewa block and yes, it has to do with the exp farming. Yes, it has to do with getting to 60 too quickly. Yes, it has to do with the new specialization tree.

When you hit 60 you cease gaining experience and gain specialization xp instead, which then turn into specialization points you can use to fill your tree. However, once the tree is full and you have no more slots to use your spec xp, you get dilithium… free, beautiful dilithium. Currently, as I have read, about 2800 dil per equivalent level.

Why would Cryptic go bananas over this? Because dil can be used to purchase zen WITHOUT giving the company cash. i.e. they created a money sink for their company and are now desperately trying to stop the leak.

It is the ONLY answer that hits all the marks.

The only “fix” that won’t break everything else? Remove the dil rewards from a filled spec tree.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How many Tau Dewa threads are you going to start?
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    How many Tau Dewa threads are you going to start?

All of them >.> Allllllll
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    2800 per equivalent level?
    That's IT? For all the xp it takes to go up a spec point once at 60?

Bloody hell, better not tell them about the hourly rep projects!
  • sotek23sotek23 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't see the problem of gaining dilitihum ore. Refined dilithium is capped at 8000 per day I can "easily" get the 8000/day dil by other free and legal means.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Why would Cryptic go bananas over this? Because dil can be used to purchase zen WITHOUT giving the company cash. i.e. they created a money sink for their company and are now desperately trying to stop the leak.

isnt that the point of the dil refinement cap though?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All of them >.> Allllllll

First you make a thread telling how you can exploit (yet mention it's not, because you know it is), then you start flooding the forums when you get caught red-handed.

You just can't help yourself, can you.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    isnt that the point of the dil refinement cap though?

Yep. Experience to dilithium has nothing to do with this... There are FAR more effective means to earn your 8k dilithium a day... Gaining 2.5 levels each day would take how many hours? Currently it's easy to get 8k in under an hour, I doubt farming tau was that amazing...
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    IMO? He thinks he knows more, and is more important and influential, than is actually so.

Forex, it was totally his thread that got the Tau Dewa patrols shut down. The Devs have no other way of knowing what's going on with their game, and never would have found out about the patrol farming, if not for ... this guy.

Riiiiiight.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    First you make a thread telling how you can exploit (yet mention it's not, because you know it is), then you start flooding the forums when you get caught red-handed.

Perceived Guilt makes people do funny things... even when they are 'not guilty'.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

I see it as "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!!!111oneoneoneeleventeen" :rolleyes:
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    After following multiple threads on the subject I believe I (amongst others) have arrived at THE conclusion as to the closure of the Tau Dewa block and yes, it has to do with the exp farming. Yes, it has to do with getting to 60 too quickly. Yes, it has to do with the new specialization tree.

When you hit 60 you cease gaining experience and gain specialization xp instead, which then turn into specialization points you can use to fill your tree. However, once the tree is full and you have no more slots to use your spec xp, you get dilithium… free, beautiful dilithium. Currently, as I have read, about 2800 dil per equivalent level.

It is the ONLY answer that hits all the marks.

The only “fix” that won’t break everything else? Remove the dil rewards from a filled spec tree.

basic problem...someone bought the zen you're buying with dil in the first place, so cryptic already got paid. there would be a problem if no one could make dil then no one would be buying zen = no reason for the zen to be bought in the first place.

zen<>dil conversion is one of cryptics cash points, it has to keep going as it generates income. zen on the exchange doesn't magically appear, someone bought it and posted it because they wanted refined dilithium. all the zen on the exchange cryptic already got paid for.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Because dil can be used to purchase zen WITHOUT giving the company cash.

No it can't. There's no such thing as free zen. You may not personally pay any money for that Zen you get from the Dil exchange but somebody did. Either someone else bought it with real money, spent their personal time filling out surveys to earn zen (which advertisers pay PW for), or put up their zen stipend from their subscription (either monthly or they put up a large chunk of cash up front for a life time sub). Anyway you slice it PW/Cryptic has already gotten their money for every zen sitting on the exchange.

EDIT: Tal Shiar'd :P
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    No it can't. There's no such thing as free zen. You may not personally pay any money for that Zen you get from the Dil exchange but somebody did. Either someone else bought it with real money, spent their personal time filling out surveys to earn zen (which advertisers pay PW for), or put up their zen stipend from their subscription (either monthly or they put up a large chunk of cash up front for a life time sub). Anyway you slice it PW/Cryptic has already gotten their money for every zen sitting on the exchange.

EDIT: Tal Shiar'd :P

No but the Company has nerfed Dilithium in the most popular areas of the game. Its possible theyre worried that this will become overtly popular and Dilithium will flood the market.
    edited October 2014
    Someone buys zen and sells for dilithium... or vice versa... everybody happy and Cryptic essentially gets paid twice. Someone buys zen and sells for dil, players get free dil and buy zen, Cryptic's income just took a hit. A significant hit? I doubt it. Not at first, at least.... but over time, if allowed to continue, that hit would grow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    Someone buys zen and sells for dilithium... or vice versa... everybody happy and Cryptic essentially gets paid twice. Someone buys zen and sells for dil, players get free dil and buy zen, Cryptic's income just took a hit. A significant hit? I doubt it. Not at first, at least.... but over time, if allowed to continue, that hit would grow.

Exactly. When it costs more Dilithium per Zen. Cryptic is in a good spot.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think they are a little annoyed the exchange is still at 157ish. Then with all the people jumping on the 2800 dil per 10 mins train, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or even a mathematician to work it out).

Problem is that everything ingame costs so much to upgrade now (literally 100's of thousands of refined dil) that the hit wouldn't have been too bad for a short while until the upgrade cap for everyone had been hit, then the market gets flooded with excess dil, price hits 50 per zen, cryptic cry.

Not to mention those hateful lifetime memberships, which they already stated cost them money...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    After following multiple threads on the subject I decided to create yet another one because I wouldn't get the attention I deserve by just posting in one of the exisiting threads.

Fixed that for you. Seriously. There are like 3 other threads about the Tau Dewa issue on the first page of STO Discussion. :rolleyes:
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Exactly. When it costs more Dilithium per Zen. Cryptic is in a good spot.

Interesting.

Everything I've seen them do has been putting pressure in the direction of less dil per zen; not more.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
    edited October 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. Seriously. I do this because you're stealing attention that I should be getting. :rolleyes:

Ditto. No thanks necessary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • boosbcboosbc Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Interesting.

Everything I've seen them do has been putting pressure in the direction of less dil per zen; not more.

Let me take one step back on this one.

Who pays cryptic? People who buy zen.
    What do they do with zen? Buy Dilithium to get better equiptment.

OK, considering this, the benefit of the company would be to keep dilitium per zen as low as possible, as people need to buy more zen, to buy their precious materials.

What about the other people, who sell dilithium? They have enough dil. They use the zen to buy new ships, keys or what have you. Those have stable prices anyway, so who cares about that?

Does this make sense?
    edited October 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    I think they are a little annoyed the exchange is still at 157ish. Then with all the people jumping on the 2800 dil per 10 mins train, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or even a mathematician to work it out).

Problem is that everything ingame costs so much to upgrade now (literally 100's of thousands of refined dil) that the hit wouldn't have been too bad for a short while until the upgrade cap for everyone had been hit, then the market gets flooded with excess dil, price hits 50 per zen, cryptic cry.

Not to mention those hateful lifetime memberships, which they already stated cost them money...

Dont forget the fact that with dil flooding the market all of those paygates like Crafting and Upgrading no longer slow players down. And players are less likely to buy Zen and exchange it for Dil since its so readily available with a short time power leveling.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ditto. No thanks necessary.

Neither did I create one nor did I post in any of them. There's no attention to be stolen. Since this thread is likely to be merged with the others anyway you could have just as easily posted in one of the others in the first place.
  • shirnai69shirnai69 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Theres easier ways to make dil.....
  • albinovampire987albinovampire987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So 54000 XP points turns into only 2,800 dilithium? That is disappointing.
    Galactic Horde.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    shirnai69 wrote: »

Why the comment retraction?
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sotek23 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem of gaining dilitihum ore. Refined dilithium is capped at 8000 per day I can "easily" get the 8000/day dil by other free and legal means.

Yeah, the entire game economy should be built around *expecting* players to earn 8,000 per character per day. The cap is in place to make it so that any of these "exploits" have minimal impact.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Over in neverwinter they decided to play silly beggars with zen shop only items and by the time the icewind dale module lagged its way into town the zen exchange blew up and it was capped and stagnating. People were sitting on zen that might otherwise have been sold and no doubt others just werent buying zen to sell at all.

It could be that they decided to ignore the potential consequences of something like this in STO during development and it wasnt until they suddenly realised that people getting decent xp from mobs 10 levels lower (a problem in itself) that they decided to act before things started to wobble too much. Cap the level difference at 5-6 levels lower than the highest player in a group or just remove the dilitium for overlevelling.

Other panic measures in neverwinter have included locking keys to bind on account status so hopefully they don't take things that far.