test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Applause for the DR story.

ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
Finished it today. Best story in the game, and yet, so many more questions unanswered. I cannot wait for future episodes that reveal the secrets behind the endings.

Good work.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
Post edited by ashkrik23 on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There were so many twists, I kept expecting one more. I had guessed the truth about Gaul.

Maje Sesson, the Kobali secret(s), the bugs... So many WONDERFUL twists.

Especially after the end of the Kobali arc, I kept expecting one more twist but that twist was, honestly the biggest (and it had me laughing).

I was half-waiting for a cutscene at the end where it turns out the Voyager crew we've seen are possessed or where we cut back to the Kobali stasis tubes and see a badly injured Khan in there.

Just going off the rhythm of the expansion, it feels almost like one more twist that would fit.

So many well-timed WTF moments, it just felt like this mission chain needed to end on a bigger one.

A small complaint though.

Well done, Cryptic.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Parasites. Elachi. Sela.

The story isn't over yet. :P
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *Spoilers for final misson*

I always thought that the portal in Vaadwaur drop pods looked familiar to the Iconian one, and then fighting Gaul, he did the attack that suspends my boffs into the air like the supposed Iconian did in the end of surface tension and they were coated in this white glow like the klingons were. So apparently the same being or kind of being was shape shifted as Gaul.

And then there was also the blue warp core explosions their ships have, definitely Iconian-lent technology, or by whoever is posing as the Iconians. Lots of interesting stuff!
    edited October 2014
    *Spoilers for final misson*

I always thought that the portal in Vaadwaur drop pods looked familiar to the Iconian one, and then fighting Gaul, he did the attack that suspends my boffs into the air like the supposed Iconian did in the end of surface tension and they were coated in this white glow like the klingons were. So apparently the same being or kind of being was shape shifted as Gaul.

And then there was also the blue warp core explosions their ships have, definitely Iconian-lent technology, or by whoever is posing as the Iconians. Lots of interesting stuff!

There does seem to be a connection. Used subspace corridors. Victims of orbital bombardment by their enemies.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Gotta say I agree, the story if very fun, and I do love how choices change some of the scenes. Also it is nice how patrols are linked to each other and to the main story.

All in all, very happy and looking forward to the future releases.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah oh my god the story was awesome.
    I...wow.
    That is all I have to say. I can't wait to play it again.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I got told off at one point by severn for killing destroying a allys ships to keep the mission secret i was on my Romny n it was just right to do from there perspective :o
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Agreed. This is by far the best story-content Cryptic has made up to this point. If this is the new level of content we can expect in the future, story wise, I'm thrilling with excitement. :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• panz3rupanz3ru Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    +1 for the great storry
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I haven't been this impressed by a game's story for quite some time. Bravo indeed to cryptic for doing much, much better with a mere expansion than most AAA studios do with a full retail game (shudders at the memories of Destiny.)

Characters - well used
    Voice Acting - good (even from the supporting cast)
    Plot - Great (rich, meaningful, best we've seen so far.)
    Side missions - remarkably well put together. (its an example of how other parts of a video game should feed back in to support the main arc, rather than filling it out with more branching/useless tangents which you generally see in every game that uses optional quests/missions.)
    Combat - well put together, really makes the most of STO game mechanics (on normal.)

What I hope crpytic tries to avoid though with the next one season is becoming too melodramatic. The Vaadwuar introduced a certain tone/feel to the DQ that was quite a bit more intense than we've seen fighting cyborg dinosaurs and tripod aliens. That was appropriate (given the backstory and place of the Vaadwuar in the sto universe). However once we start getting into the big fight against the Iconians (which are essentially space wizards to the tragic space TRIBBLE of the Vaaduwar) I hope they have enough self-restraint to avoid full-on adopting the attitude of the last few seasons of DS9 (which played morose so hard it flipped over to maudlin.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Agreed on the story quality. I was actually sitting there at the last patrol intelligence mission where you have to choose if you let the Vaadwaur deserters go in exchange for the maps or send them back into the fray going "... man. This is a tough choice."

It's a neat moral decision knowing that it could blow up in your face either way, and you've got to take a gamble on if it'll work out. On one hand, you really need these maps and you don't exactly trust the Vaadwaur rebels at all, as it's clear that if the upper leadership wasn't infested with neural parasites, Eldax would probably be cheerfully still trying to kill you. Other hand, he is your ally and his fight weakens your current enemy and supporting him may help make him more open to a peace treaty later.

On my first playthrough, I let them go, as my heroic starship captain felt it was the moral thing to do. I'm really curious to see how the consequences of that choice play out. Even if it doesn't really matter or impact the course of the story, it gives us a feeling of agency, that we're The Captain and have to make the tough choices that Star Trek captains do.
  • nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My only disappointment is that we didn't get a Kobali or Vaadu boff. :( Please Cryptic, make it so.
    LEmWhkGA.gif
    edited October 2014
    nyasaya wrote: »
    My only disappointment is that we didn't get a Kobali or Vaadu boff. :( Please Cryptic, make it so.

I'd settle for the Kobali or Vaadwaur outfits.
    edited October 2014
    drreverend wrote: »
    On my first playthrough, I let them go, as my heroic starship captain felt it was the moral thing to do. I'm really curious to see how the consequences of that choice play out.

It might be a little much to expect a Mass Effect style dramatic callback to this mission but it might be possible to see a new dialog option pop up in a future conversation with Eldax. But personally I think this mission is better off if the consequences remain ambiguous (as otherwise you're pretty much given an answer on which choice was "best" and that foresight is going to spoil all future replays of this mission.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited October 2014
    I'd settle for the Kobali or Vaadwaur outfits.

I would too, a shame they could have just been made unlockable for completing the kobali prime and main series respectively but I'd gladly pony up for C-store or *sigh* lobi store releases.
    edited October 2014
    It might be a little much to expect a Mass Effect style dramatic callback to this mission but it might be possible to see a new dialog option pop up in a future conversation with Eldax. But personally I think this mission is better off if the consequences remain ambiguous (as otherwise you're pretty much given an answer on which choice was "best" and that foresight is going to spoil all future replays of this mission.)

Agreed. You don't know if this might come to bite you in the butt now or in twenty years or might turn out to have been, in the long run, the right choice. And Trek has always been about the weight of being Captain and having to make some very difficult choices.

"You bet I'm 'tired'! You bet! I'm tired of being responsible for two hundred and three lives and I'm tired of deciding which mission is too risky and which isn't and who's going on the landing party and who doesn't. And who lives... and who dies." - Christoper Pike, "The Cage"
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Agreed on the story quality. I was actually sitting there at the last patrol intelligence mission where you have to choose if you let the Vaadwaur deserters go in exchange for the maps or send them back into the fray going "... man. This is a tough choice."
    "If they are too weak to fight then they are useless anyway."
    That's what my Klingon said. Letting them go in exchange for an Underspace map was a bargain.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What story?! All I keep playing are stupidly boring Patrols that are in the story arc for the same crappy rewards! :mad:
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What story?! All I keep playing are stupidly boring Patrols that are in the story arc for the same crappy rewards! :mad:
    Are you reading the pop ups on the patrols or are you clicking through them to get them done quickly? Sure some are just boring patrols but some fit in with the story quite nicely i feel.
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
    edited October 2014

Try reading the missions. In the very first patrol when you meet the benthans, at the end they will tell you about the Borg battle zone patrol mission.

Later you get a patrol to rescue kobali ships who were hit by vaadwar and each ship has wa different emergency. The choices you make determines how many you save from each ship.

In yet another you're spying and there's a good bit of dialog about the vaadwar plans.

In at least five your decisions determine who, or if, you fight (let hierarchy ship go, take malon prisoner, which apu, etc).

If you're finding the patrols boring then you're skipping the good bits.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Try reading the missions. In the very first patrol when you meet the benthans, at the end they will tell you about the Borg battle zone patrol mission.

Later you get a patrol to rescue kobali ships who were hit by vaadwar and each ship has wa different emergency. The choices you make determines how many you save from each ship.

In yet another you're spying and there's a good bit of dialog about the vaadwar plans.

In at least five your decisions determine who, or if, you fight (let hierarchy ship go, take malon prisoner, which apu, etc).

Wow, I can choose to fight either the silver robots or the gold robots (literally) ? My, such a plot twist ! You should consider adding a spoiler tag.

And ship getting attacked by the vaadwaur ? I don't know, that's pretty much sum up half the patrols we have. And when it's not this case, we have the hierarchy potato guy leading you into a trap. At least 3 times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014

That kind of ignores that it is possible for different folks to like and dislike different things. Just because somebody likes something or does not like something does not mean diddly squat with regard to another...they're free to like and dislike as they find themselves liking and disliking.

Personally, I didn't like the story...I just...didn't care. Not a Voyager fan, so there wasn't any of that kind of attachment to it that others might have had.

That being said though, I found the technical aspects of how the story was woven through everything in the Delta Quadrant (both in Space and on Ground) to have been superbly done up until the last mission. Everything but that, it really impressed how they had worked it all in together - it really stood out the effort they had made there, even if I didn't care about the story - could still give them mad props for the technical aspects. Which also gives me a reason to stick around, should they bring that caliber of storytelling to a future story that does interest. Yeah, I really was that impressed with how they handled that up until the last mission.

The last mission simply felt unfinished/rushed/whatever one might want to call it - toss in all the bugs people are being hit with in it as well, and yeah - it just reeks of being a casualty of a launch date that it wasn't ready for...which is kind of a shame - cause that's a reason not to stay, because it's what Cryptic constantly finds themselves up against - deadlines they can't meet.

But yeah, different folks like different things - so somebody not liking the story isn't doing anything wrong. They just don't like it. Hell, some folks may not even share my appreciation of the technical aspects of the storyweaving that were done...doesn't mean they're doing something wrong either. Different folks and all that...
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Gaul was the first unique and single villain in STO I wanted more of.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    edited October 2014
    That kind of ignores that it is possible for different folks to like and dislike different things. Just because somebody likes something or does not like something does not mean diddly squat with regard to another...they're free to like and dislike as they find themselves liking and disliking.

But yeah, different folks like different things - so somebody not liking the story isn't doing anything wrong. They just don't like it. Hell, some folks may not even share my appreciation of the technical aspects of the storyweaving that were done...doesn't mean they're doing something wrong either. Different folks and all that...

Fair point and I agree. But I wasn't responding to someone saying they didn't like the story. Instead the person above had said then patrols were boring because you just kill everyone, its all pew pew.

Hence my ignoring (not blocking, just not responding to) the peeps so replied saying variations of "i dont like the choices". Whether or not one likes what the devs made is subjective. Objectively, there is more than pew pew in the patrols. 'Sall I was saying'.
  • alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

Agreed. From that moment with Neelix onwards, i wanted more if only to give him a very slow, painful drawn out death for his actions.
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fair point and I agree. But I wasn't responding to someone saying they didn't like the story. Instead the person above had said then patrols were boring because you just kill everyone, its all pew pew.

Could just be that I took what they said differently...

Gaul was definitely a well developed character - consistent but not predictable. Wasn't cliche, campy, melodramatic or any of the things that can ruin a villain. They did an excellent job with a small amount of media...Gaul would have been the kind of villain that could carry a movie.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *Starts petition for Gaul to be a Star Trek Movie villain*
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, I just hit a hard block tonight... and when I was coaxed over it, with an assurance that it wasn't that bad, I found out that (IMO) it was.

The mission in question is "Operation Cooperation Conspiracy", part of the "Better With Friends" patrol set, the one that takes place in the Xiokel system. Right off the bat, Ms. Romulan Spy lays out the deal-breaker (details omitted for spoilers, and arguably irrelevant): she wants you to help her lie to your "allies."

Hell no. I'm Starfleet. We don't do that. ("In the Pale Moonlight" being an obvious exception, but that was such a powerful and memorable episode because it went so completely against everything Starfleet and the Federation stands for, acknowledged that, and made that the central conflict. Here, it's simply brushed aside - see below.)

At exactly one point that follows, you get to say, "I won't lie." A few other times, you get the option of saying you don't like this. But whatever you choose, unless you actively quit and skip that entire patrol bundle, your objections are ultimately ignored and the mission proceeds as if you were a willing participant in this deception. At no point are you allowed to come clean with your allies and tell them the whole truth, or shut the whole thing down.

It's Divide et Impera all over again. The only difference this time is that you have a choice of useless protests as you slide down the rails.
    edited October 2014
    The last mission simply felt unfinished/rushed/whatever one might want to call it - toss in all the bugs people are being hit with in it as well, and yeah - it just reeks of being a casualty of a launch date that it wasn't ready for...which is kind of a shame - cause that's a reason not to stay, because it's what Cryptic constantly finds themselves up against - deadlines they can't meet.

I think the last mission really needed one more good plot twist. I think they overestimated (and underplayed) the surprise about Gaul. I think the mission needed a tag like the Kobali Zone. Or, looking to genre movies, like the Marvel "after the credits" scenes or the Joker card in Batman Begins. Something to really say, "Stick around, there's more down the road" beyond just a weird glowing console.

Also, the rewards felt oddly unthematic for a major arc wrap-up.

In general, I'd say replay rewards need to be looked at. If they had the means, I'd almost like some of the alternate story branches to offer alternate rewards. And along with replay rewards, that last mission just feels like it needs something thematic there. A Vaadwaur shuttle? Vaadwaur bridge officer? Full copy of the EMH program as a bridge officer?

Actually, since it seems like we parted ways with the Voyager crew there, I'd almost like to have seen a choice where each Voyager crew member has their own thematic reward they leave us.

Maybe a choice of Borg BO, EMH BO, Talaxian BO, Kobali BO, or a special Vulcan Psi-Master with telepathy. They could have even used the group "unique" approach to make it so that player can only have one active but it would be a great sign that they trust you, to have each of them offer you a protege of theirs for further training.
    edited October 2014

He really was great, wasn't he?

I like how they swerved on the cliches.

He invites us to dinner. Then his actions from there on, well... They're different from other villains in the game. And then when things go wrong during the infiltration assignment?

I love how he dealt with that. He seemed like a believable leader.

I think the storytelling has graduated to a point where I hope they use Dukat for the next expansion. I'm now convinced that Cryptic has the mastery of the storytelling tools to do him right.

Heck, I think Gaul was good in the episode but his portrayal here may have surpassed his television appearance.