test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best expansion so far

panz3rupanz3ru Member Posts: 29 Arc User
This is the best expansion so far. They managed to connect to the voyager atmosphere and to feel like a continuation of it. They put a lot of effort and resources in it: original actors fro voyager acting (which i am sure wasn't for free) a story line which is immersive, new mechanics.
There are some problems , mostly related to tuning which are already addressed - they will reduce the hp by 30% .

Another problem seems to be the reduced dilithium reward which seems to enrage especially the freeloaders. Unless you plan to buy a lot of ships converting dil to zen this is a non problem. Just playing game normally there will be enough dil for upgrades and fleet/reputation gear. And there is supposed to be progression not to get all in day 2 . The people that buy dilithium to get all in day 1 are destroying themselves the progression but is their money. Although i buy a lot of ships with zen mostly to support the devs i don't buy dilithium (with small exceptions when i need couple k dil to buy some item that i want badly).
Post edited by panz3ru on

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am loving the expansion and having a great time. The VO quality is top notch and the story is really bringing me in. even though people tend to attack neelix, i though ethan knocked his work out the park. even the patrol missions have some actual flavor to them which is nice. Kobali prime is excellent and all the different ships and new ways to advance your character make it feel like everything matters and i always have something to do. borg disconnected is fun and im looking forward to the others.

there is an issue with rewards at the moment which it sounds like they might address, and the difficulty is being toned down, although i still think its important to see how they play once everyone is at 60 and with better gear and powers but im happy to wait and see how they end up before worrying too much.

they probably should have gone the other way and risked making them too easy and then bring the difficulty up rather than going too hard but what's done is done. I'm sure in a few weeks they will be at both a challenging yet reasonable difficulty and the rewards will be more in line with what they should be.
  • alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    panz3ru wrote: »
    This is the best expansion so far. They managed to connect to the voyager atmosphere and to feel like a continuation of it. They put a lot of effort and resources in it: original actors fro voyager acting (which i am sure wasn't for free) a story line which is immersive, new mechanics.
    There are some problems , mostly related to tuning which are already addressed - they will reduce the hp by 30% .

Another problem seems to be the reduced dilithium reward which seems to enrage especially the freeloaders. Unless you plan to buy a lot of ships converting dil to zen this is a non problem. Just playing game normally there will be enough dil for upgrades and fleet/reputation gear. And there is supposed to be progression not to get all in day 2 . The people that buy dilithium to get all in day 1 are destroying themselves the progression but is their money. Although i buy a lot of ships with zen mostly to support the devs i don't buy dilithium (with small exceptions when i need couple k dil to buy some item that i want badly).

While I agree that despite the bugs and the tedium of grinding Jalpori for enough experience to continue the story that DR is a good expansion, LoR was superior despite it's initial teething issues and bugs.
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While I agree that despite the bugs and the tedium of grinding Jalpori for enough experience to continue the story that DR is a good expansion, LoR was superior despite it's initial teething issues and bugs.

I don't agree with you, legacy was a fine expansion but once you got past the initial story line having a rom was much the same as any other character so it didn't really give me anything different to do for an extended period, within a very short time it was just all the new stuff is done now we have 3 characters instead of two now back to normal gameplay.
    with delta we have ship mastery that must be done on each T5U & T6 ship, weapons upgrading, captain specializations, delta alliance reputation and of course the level cap increase.
    that's besides the story line and adventure zone.
    theres enough stuff to keep me busy for a year at least.
    delta rising is definatly the best thing yet.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    theres enough stuff to keep me busy for a year at least.
    delta rising is definatly the best thing yet.

I'd prefer having fun instead of being busy ...

LoR had at least 25 more Episodes to play
    LoR had about 25 more Ships as well
    LoR had about 10 more Costumes
    LoR had a New Rep as well
    LoR had an Adventure Zone as well
    etc ...

Sure Ship Mastery (which only takes ~1day per Ship btw), Weapons Upgrades & Captain Spec. is one thing LoR didn't have ... but that's the real "keeping you busy" part here .... shootin Enemies till your eyes bleed & farm/spend tons of Dil, is basically what it comes down to ... well if that's your thing, have fun ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    DR would have been a solid Season, but it has so far a major lack of actual story content to play into the same league as LoR.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well I'm having a great time with DR. Then again I'm only level 55, been taking my time playing around with it rather than Japori grinding. Much more entertaining that way IMO. Also changed my mind on the Eclipse. Picked one up and love that thing so much. Once Bort and pals get the difficulty fixes in, I'll jump back into the queues. I don't have many complaints for DR, which kind of surprises me. In a good way though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While I preferred LoR, I feel that was a bigger thing and its like comparing apples and oranges (come on, Romulans!).

However, I've been giving the mechanics I don't like (ie. upgrade systems) a wide birth and have been absolutely loving the story, even though I've covered where I'm up to so far already on tribble.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014

But that is only if you played a Romulan. Federation just got the Nimbus missions and Klingons got the Nimbus missions and the tutorial missions.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2014
    I like the episodes but not the patrols. I also like the VO, characters and settings from Voyager That's all the good I can say about.

LoR was a far better expansion with fewer cash grabs and grinds. The 2 expansions are light years apart in quality.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with my DR Pack and most of the content. The episode storyline was okay. Ranging from good (Mindscape and Dragon's Deciet) to horrible (Reunion). The ending wasn't great, but leaves room to expand. Good voice acting, with Gaul being the overall standout and Harry being the best of the Voyager cast.

In terms of grinding dilithum, people really need to learn how to farm smarter. Dyson BZ has already been mentioned, but the simple act of getting more alts and farming contraband is the easiest "grind" in the game.

Having some foresight helps. When I saw they were launching an expansion, I took the time to log in twice a day on my toons.for the past two months. I generated the 2 million dilithium needed to buy the DR Pack totally free (minus the time I'd already be playing). Not paying money for something definitely ups customer satisfaction lol.

The queue reward nerf is fine with me, I just won't play them as they aren't with the effort. If enough of us don't play, they'll up the rewards because the devs need to show certain metrics to their Chineese overlords.

It seems like they really leaned from previous launches and figured out how to keep the severs stable (very little downtime). All I really want now is bug fixes.
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Well I'm having a great time with DR. Then again I'm only level 55, been taking my time playing around with it rather than Japori grinding. Much more entertaining that way IMO.

I'm doing the same. Just setting the grind aside for a while. I have even depleted my Dil Ore reserves and am not really bothered by it. It's been so long since I've played just to play, I am really enjoying taking a relaxed approach to Delta Rising.
    Also changed my mind on the Eclipse. Picked one up and love that thing so much. Once Bort and pals get the difficulty fixes in, I'll jump back into the queues. I don't have many complaints for DR, which kind of surprises me. In a good way though.

You know, after reading the many, many horror stories of how insane the new difficulties are, I was very hesitant to join any Advanced queues, especially with my highest leveled captain being only 53 (Like I said, relaxed pace :)). Some fleeties took me into ISA and CSA anyway, and with a little prematch rundown on strategy, I was shocked at just how non-horrific it was.

I know people want Advanced to be level 50 friendly and so be it. I'll be ready for Elite eventually. But I do think people were jumping the gun a little on the whole NPC buff situation. Even at my level, with very few upgrades so far, things are already getting easier.

Anyway, I agree. The actors, the story, the many little tweaks, the increased fun from ship battles (imo), DR is a great expansion so far.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2014

LOR did have a lot of missions spread across the kdf and romulan sides, however many of those missions were actually very simple. some where just one map, some where two. Some where rehashed fed content or reused maps. There is something like 19 or 20 episodes in DR but the patrol ones are split into 4 or 5 missions each so the amount of actual content there is to play is fairly comparable although I think LOR still had the greater quantity, DR does have more systems being updated.

No, it didn't. the legacy pack had about 8 or 9. you could argue its double as there was a leveling ship with a different variant but they were still the same ship, but the actual unique ships was about the same. The number of enemy ships being added however is huge compared to LOR. I dont know where '25 more' came from.

True and needed because of the new faction, but the costumes now have mainly gone onto the different enemy groups but i understand we dont get to enjoy the costume in the same way.

DR has these too.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014

etc ...

Sure Ship Mastery (which only takes ~1day per Ship btw), Weapons Upgrades & Captain Spec. is one thing LoR didn't have ... but that's the real "keeping you busy" part here .... shootin Enemies till your eyes bleed & farm/spend tons of Dil, is basically what it comes down to ... well if that's your thing, have fun ...

but most of that was for rom only and that is natural as they were the new faction like I said in my last comment once you got passed the new rom faction story line that includes their ships and uniforms there wasn't very much to do not for specially for feds and kdf ok they had the adventure zone and rom rep and I think the kdf had a few extra missions.
    DR though it dosent have as many missions they can be played by all 3 factions so it will take at least 3 times longer depending on how many characters you have it could take a lot longer.
    it also has all of the other stuff that I mentioned before for all factions, just think how long its going to take to get through that lot, I dare say I could remind you of this conversation in a years time and if you are at all like me you have at least got all the free ships on multiple characters to level up and if you have got at least 3 characters to level up and all the other stuff I expect you will still be working on completing it all, I know I will be.

I dare say there were some players who never played roms so just think, if with legacy you took the roms out of the mix you will see you don't even have enough left over to call it an expansion at all, with DR you could take any one of the factions out or even two of them and it would still be massive.

you must play a heck of a lot if it only takes you one day to get to level 4 for T5U or 5 for T6 mastery on one ship, I have just hit lv1 on my first ship last night, but then im not shootin Enemies till my eyes bleed.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree, this is the best. The story alone is top-notch. Everything is consistent. Even the patrols contribute to the plots unfolding!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • panz3rupanz3ru Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The romulan expansion was also great, maybe greater than this one if you are in romulans. However I like fed. I bought both expansion packages as a sign that I appreciate their work.

From what I can see in general only people that needs to learn adapt are complaining .
    They will patch soon to take down 30% hp on advanced. People will get 60 and better gear and all will be cool. Doing STE in 2-3 minutes in past was a bit stupid. If the new advanced will be doable in 15-20 min wit success rate of ~60% in PUG i guess everybody is happy. As somebody said before adapt and learn to make dill , doffs, pvp etc.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I agree, this is the best. The story alone is top-notch. Everything is consistent. Even the patrols contribute to the plots unfolding!
    Oh yeah, like all the story arc about Qwel (or whatever he is called, the ferengi), which is not resolved at all, and quite badly done, since you can do the patrol in any order. Sometimes it doesn't makes a lot of sense.

And most of the patrol are basically Benthan/Talaxian/Kobali being attacked by Vadwaur, or the hierarchy trying to trap you. For the 3rd time.

LoR had a LOT more story, but it was wasted if you never played anything else than fed. For a fed player, it was quite empty, I suppose. I made a Romulan, as I wanted to do for a very long time, so it was fine, and enjoyed the "beginning" with my KDF.
    But at least, there was no patrol missions disguised as story mission.

And many missions were quite impressive. With unique stuff going around Like the elachi walkers destroying stuff around, the eleach drones taking people and flying away, atmospheric assault, the ice KDF prison (forget the name).... What do we have in DR ? A SWTOR's Balmorra planet (including the trooper armor) which is technically a cheap battlezone (as in, a lot smaller with less objectives), and what else ? I remember a very annoying super cannon on a patrol mission, which was quite unique, other than that, it was pretty much always the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    LoR had me rolling additional toons.
    DR had me delete all but one toon.

Guess it depends on how you want to look at that, whether DR is better than LoR. If you're trying to break a STO addiction, then hands down - DR is far better than LoR was. If you actually enjoy playing STO and are not an addict, well...that's more complicated.

As for the story, they did an awesome job of making it feel like Voyager...whether or not that's actually a good thing...that's more complicated too.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am having a fun time in DR with FED Level 55, ROM/FED Level 54 and KDF Level 54. Just getting them to level 55 for now. Take my time leveling all 3 up to level 60. No rush, because I would like to enjoy the battles both ground and space.

DR missions has been the most challenging so for and the Borg Disconnect is a lot of fun also. Both DR and BD have some nice mood music that makes you want to play the game all day long! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All the VO work has been great in DR the new story missions are top notch when they dont crash my comp.
    But to call this the best expansion ever is going way over the top op your ignoring all the new bugs and the old ones that are back AGAIN. Ive posted about them in lots of other threads so im not repeating my self yet again.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, LoR had more total episodes, but LoR was also trying to get Feds, KDF and Rom to equal playing field.

I mean, nothing in LoR has done to me what the DR content has done. When I saw the plot twist in "Dragon's Deceit", I was amazed. I felt it was so good, that I kept my mouth shut about it for almost a month (I first saw it on Tribble). When I saw plot twist #2 last night, after finishing the Kobali Prime storyline, I nearly fell out of my chair.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh, I've been enjoying this a lot. Taking the slow path, not trying to rush, hell, I don't mind not actively doing my Reps because the story is enticing. Having my jaw drop at "All That Glitters" and what happens there...

Not many missions have made me done that back in LoR
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seriously?

Half the 'missions' are filler episodes of system patrols and another quarter are little more than Voyager fanwank. The new leveling system has wrecked any sense of pacing, since any story we do get is interrupted by XP grind. Combat is general is now a dull slog. (Remember when leveling up before, how the enemies were matched to the ship you had and whatever gear you scrounged rather than trying to sell you on upgrades?) The few genuine story missions we do get are decently written and some of the voice-acting is good, but even then I don't find them as compelling as even the old FEs. LoR was lightyears beyond this.

Honestly I'm bummed just writing this. Even though most season releases that have done things I didn't like, I could at least point to that one change that rocked or that one mission that was awesome, a bright spot amongst the clouds. I still haven't found that spot here, just a few bits of 'decent' at best. For something thats supposed to be a full-on expansion, thats especially disappointing.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Edit: Redacted, cuz uh... I kinda failed in rephrasing.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    17 one-off story missions does not an expansion make

That's the thing, though...it's not 17 one-off story missions. That's just somebody counting what's listed in the Episodes and kind of comes off pretty lazy.

Friends in Unlikely Places
    Enemies in All the Usual Places
    With Friends Like These...
    Know Your Enemies
    Better with Friends
    Taking Care of Enemies

Those are all wrappers, that include multiple story involved patrol missions as well an ongoing side story tied into the story.

Then there are the Kobali Prime missions that you have which are not listed in the Episodes list.

There's all sorts of stuff going on there...it's not just 17 missions.

That being said, I uh - didn't have the oooh ahhh from it that some of the posters in this thread are experiencing. So my comments in this reply aren't about the quality of everything that's involved, rather just how silly one comes off by lazily pointing to the quantity as you did.

If one is going to bash them, at least do it with a clue...cause some of all that fangushing nonsense that's being spewed needs to be countered with some harsh reality - not some imaginary complaint.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's the thing, though...it's not 17 one-off story missions. That's just somebody counting what's listed in the Episodes and kind of comes off pretty lazy.

Friends in Unlikely Places
    Enemies in All the Usual Places
    With Friends Like These...
    Know Your Enemies
    Better with Friends
    Taking Care of Enemies

Those are all wrappers, that include multiple story involved patrol missions as well an ongoing side story tied into the story.

Then there are the Kobali Prime missions that you have which are not listed in the Episodes list.

There's all sorts of stuff going on there...it's not just 17 missions.

That being said, I uh - didn't have the oooh ahhh from it that some of the posters in this thread are experiencing. So my comments in this reply aren't about the quality of everything that's involved, rather just how silly one comes off by lazily pointing to the quantity as you did.

If one is going to bash them, at least do it with a clue...cause some of all that fangushing nonsense that's being spewed needs to be countered with some harsh reality - not some imaginary complaint.

Uh... I feel honored that you wrote a post just for me Virus, but uh I believe I mixed up my sayings and left something out (that's what I get for repeating it in my head until the words lose their meaning and I take a shot in the dark, hoping I get it right). The message I was trying to make was how there's more than just a few missions.

Sorry. :o
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Uh... I feel honored that you wrote a post just for me Virus, but uh I believe I mixed up my sayings and left something out (that's what I get for repeating it in my head until the words lose their meaning and I take a shot in the dark, hoping I get it right). The message I was trying to make was how there's more than just a few missions.

Sorry. :o

Nah, it's my bad...I'm on edge...meh. I took what you said along the lines of what others said and threw it together and went off...bah. It came off too much of a reply to you rather than a general reply which looks like it would not have included you.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Neither of which moves the story along or provides any great storytelling. Move to point A, shoot 5 ships, move to point B, shoot 5 ships, done. Anyone who knows how to work the foundry, can recreate those patrols (albeit with different enemies) within half an hour and without having to use any sort of imagination.

You could replace the enemies with Orions, Nausicaans or Fed ships. place them in the old sectors and no one would notice a difference.

The patrols are just lazy-TRIBBLE fillers, the extent of Kobali ground isn't much more than what we got on any of the other adventure zones.
    edited October 2014
    Neither of which moves the story along or provides any great storytelling. Move to point A, shoot 5 ships, move to point B, shoot 5 ships, done. Anyone who knows how to work the foundry, can recreate those patrols (albeit with different enemies) within half an hour and without having to use any sort of imagination.

You could replace the enemies with Orions, Nausicaans or Fed ships. place them in the old sectors and no one would notice a difference.

The patrols are just lazy-TRIBBLE fillers, the extent of Kobali ground isn't much more than what we got on any of the other adventure zones.

Um...yeah, see this is the person that I should have written that reply to...it's the very depth of clueless.

I couldn't give a rat's TRIBBLE about the actual story - I'm not a Voyager fan in the least, but that's not going to stop me from seeing how everything works together - that it's not simply filler. And the Kobali storyline is nothing like any of the zones we've had before...it blows away the New Rom stuff from a technical and story standpoint, even if it is the story it is.

It's one thing to hate the story, c'mon over - there's a bunch of us, lol...but it's another just to make TRIBBLE up.

There's tons of reasons to hate the expansion without having to fabricate nonsense.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Having never watched Voyager, I'm meeting all of these species and characters for the first time, so that's nice... but it's when an old enemy from The Next Generation popped up in a mission, somewhere at or around level 56, that I really got hooked. I'm looking forward to seeing where this expansion goes.
  • gagocashgagocash Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    panz3ru wrote: »

Maybe you are just a shill or you have actually never really played delta rising? because my own experience and the steady increasing numbers of new threads in the bug subforums, tell me another story.
    M.A.C.O. ELITE COMMANDER & KIRK'S PROTEGE