test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

enemy HP scaling in pre-delta rising missions too high

gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19925741&postcount=19

So, running a level 52 character in the federation mission shariens swords, resulted in a ddridex sporting 303,000 HP. This is a new character who was created during the double exp event so has no access yet to reputation or fleet gear. The character is not replaying the mission, this is how far they got in the story arc thanks to double exp.

Please tell me this is a bug and not working as intended.

Screenshot includes mission name and status character, account handle, and enemy HP. Should be everything needed to verify/repro.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whats the problem ? A lvl52 capt with mission gear should have no problem with a 300k adversary. You don't need rep gear yet.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Whats the problem ? A lvl52 capt with mission gear should have no problem with a 300k adversary. You don't need rep gear yet.

I'm fairly certain that's sarcasm, but while you and I might win after a long and tedious slogfest, what is a new player who doesn't know there is a transwarp button or that you can skip missions, who probably still has their mark ii blue RCS console equipped and at least one tactical console giving a bonus to weapons they don't have equipped going to do?

He was doing fine at 49 and even 50. Then, magically at 51 enemies jumped from 60k to 190k HP. One mission later they're at 300k. No new player's skill increases that fast, and I have two friends I'm helping learn the game who will hit 51 this weekend.
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well in all fairness, the difficulty isnt set to Normal or Easy in the Photo, I guess its on Advanced. While doable, it does make things stronger. Elite is a MF to play on. Scale wise, yes, Im sure everything has gotten scaled up a bit, at least PvE Que wise. Mission wise: Im not sure; ship & gear really does change each person adventure. But the Difficulty setting will, surely.

-V
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wait, so the HP scaling isn't just in the queues, they went and fubar'd the regular mission content?

Unbelievable.

Cryptic said that PvE would not change, and now it turns out it has.

They also said that Advanced queues would be the same as the old Elite, just with some old optionals becoming mandatory and some new optionals added. It turns out that Advanced is not even close to old Elite when you figure in the HP scaling. (changes to optionals not withstanding)
    He was doing fine at 49 and even 50. Then, magically at 51 enemies jumped from 60k to 190k HP. One mission later they're at 300k. No new player's skill increases that fast, and I have two friends I'm helping learn the game who will hit 51 this weekend.

I do expect the HP's to go up as we level again, but those kinds of leaps... that's insane. One level increase means a more than tripling of HP's? Another level almost doubles THAT? Trying to whittle away 300k HP's at lvl 52? I don't even want to think what HP's will be like at lvl 60.

Can it be done? Sure, patience and knowing what to do will take players a long way. But 300k worth of HP's, and heaven knows how much shields you have to take down in order to actually start making any significant dents *in* those HP's... :eek:

The first time I fight something that takes me more than 2-3 minutes to beat, in a solo PvE story mission is probably my last day playing the game. I don't mind a bit of a challenge from time to time, but if I'm going to have to shoot at something for 5-10 minutes or more just to clear a mission, no thanks. I'll find something fun elsewhere.

Like eating broken glass with a fork made from razor blades while sitting in a fire in front of an oncoming train in the middle of a blizzard.

Edit:
    vnexus wrote: »
    Well in all fairness, the difficulty isnt set to Normal or Easy in the Photo, I guess its on Advanced. While doable, it does make things stronger. Elite is a MF to play on. Scale wise, yes, Im sure everything has gotten scaled up a bit, at least PvE Que wise. Mission wise: Im not sure; ship & gear really does change each person adventure. But the Difficulty setting will, surely.

-V

Take your logic and get out of here. What do you think this is, a game based on Star Trek or som...

Wait... :cool:

A voice of reason.

Actually, that might make sense. Perhaps some folks were used to playing thru story missions on Elite and with the update, that setting could have been tweaked for PvE as well. Will have to look and see later.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Think 300k is bad? In some of the delta quadrant patrols enemies will have up to 800k+ if you play on elite, plus TONS of shield strength and shield equalizing so you're looking at maybe 10-15% bleedthrough for most of the fight. It's insane if you think about how you're only one ship and these enemies have the same amount of health as the enemies in the old 5-person queues. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to get my ship to increase its damage output by a factor of 5.

The boss in the last story mission had 3.3 million hull (fortunately you get a small fleet to help you, but it still takes a long time).

They also have percent-based innate hull repair which means they can recover 4% or so every few seconds, which on 800k hull is 32k every few seconds, so if it takes you a few minutes to kill them, the actual damage you need to do is much higher.

If we could have their shields and repair rate reduced that would be wonderful.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Once again, this is the result of the dps overlords demanding that enemies be made tougher because it was "too easy" before. Try turning down the difficulty. It will decrease enemy HP and damage resistance. Its not like the rewards or experience gained will change.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm fairly certain that's sarcasm, but while you and I might win after a long and tedious slogfest, what is a new player who doesn't know there is a transwarp button or that you can skip missions, who probably still has their mark ii blue RCS console equipped and at least one tactical console giving a bonus to weapons they don't have equipped going to do?

Well not to advertise my lack of compassion for that player, all I can say is learn as you burn. If that level 52 player is still running around with wrong consoles and Mk II (Mk 2) gear, he still has the option to 'die thru' the mission by doing what he can, explode, rinse and repeat.

...Of course a good friend or a fleet trainer would be glad to help explain why lowbie gear and rainbow consoles won't work in high level missions, then again a good friend or fleet could could just fly with him and carry him thru.

:D

^ ^ ^
    Thats what sarcasm looks like
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited October 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Once again, this is the result of the dps overlords demanding that enemies be made tougher because it was "too easy" before. Try turning down the difficulty. It will decrease enemy HP and damage resistance. Its not like the rewards or experience gained will change.

How about stopping powercreep and and throwing more and more dumb stuff into the game instead of just increaseing everyones HP, which make boring mission even more lenghty now.
    Dumb Grind Mission just takes longer.

How about nerfing all the gear around, how about smarter KI, how about better mission designs?
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Well not to advertise my lack of compassion for that player, all I can say is learn as you burn. If that level 52 player is still running around with wrong consoles and Mk II (Mk 2) gear, he still has the option to 'die thru' the mission by doing what he can, explode, rinse and repeat.

...Of course a good friend or a fleet trainer would be glad to help explain why lowbie gear and rainbow consoles won't work in high level missions, then again a good friend or fleet could could just fly with him and carry him thru.

:D

^ ^ ^
    Thats what sarcasm looks like

Doing that for the one I can talk to. We just had a double exp event and new expansion. There's more new players in the game than any time since LoR. Not all of them have someone to ask for help.

Scaling impacts everyone. Not just the one I bump into.