What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A true and unbiased look at STOs future and what it means for you

2»

Comments

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    malifae wrote: »
    You seriously think PWE's business expenses are $150k - $200k annually?

https://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=PWRD+Income+Statement&annual

Here are some numbers.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    In response to "Second set of nerfs" thread...

I wonder if the devs have considered a long-term resolution for this.

Phew! Glad I could answer your question w/o having the read the Wall'o'Text... "No."
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • malifaemalifae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cidjack wrote: »

Have you ever looked at a financial report before? Those numbers are in thousands.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You seriously think PWE's business expenses are $150k - $200k annually?

No. I think Cryptic's annual expenses, which are billable to PWE, are in the ballpark of $200K +/-

PWE being the parent company, has a much larger umbrella.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
    edited October 2014
    Have you ever looked at a financial report before? Those numbers are in thousands.

FACEDESK

504,247 times 1,000 = 504,247,000 million dollars. I linked an annual statement.

If you are reviewing other companies' financial statements, you may often come across financial statements in which the numbers are written in the thousands. A company will denote that the numbers are in the thousands on the top of each financial statement. Companies do this to make the statements more readable. It eliminates the zeros at the end of numbers, so the numbers appear smaller. For example, $5,000,000 becomes $5,000 when written in thousands.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/read-financial-statements-thousands-10016.html

YOU MADE ME USE MY BRAIN
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • malifaemalifae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do my best.

$504M - Revenue
    $117M - Tax, Interest

= $387M Gross Income

$146M - R&D costs
    $172M - Admin costs (Payroll, equipment, real estate, etc)
    $ 13M - Other costs

= $331M Operational costs

Which is a yearly profit of about $56M with an additional income of $34M via some other accounting trickery. So on a total revenue of $504M, PWE made about $90M in 2013.

Let that sink in, they made $90M but spent $146M on R&D. They put more money into game development than they bank.
    edited October 2014
    I do my best.

$504M - Revenue
    $117M - Tax, Interest

= $387M Gross Income

$146M - R&D costs
    $ 13M - Other costs

Which is a yearly profit of about $56M with an additional income of $34M via some other accounting trickery. So on a total revenue of $504M, PWE made about $90M in 2013.

Let that sink in, they made $90M but spent $146M on R&D. They put more money into game development than they bank.

You just won this thread, my hat is off to you.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Among all the whine posts and anti-whine posts, someone has finally taken off the rose tinted glasses to see things as they really are.

how can someone have a "true" unbiased view on something when this persons vision on the entire thing has been blocked by pwe? im writing about behind the scenes rather then what they state in public. there are a number of pieces missing from this puzzle and unfortunately the OP is attempting to force pieces together to try make it look right.

while the op may of attempted to do good, the one thing that everyone keeps saying which seems to be the standard morandis for cryptic is that they need money however they can get it, however we dont know if there are other reasons on the line behind the scenes that could be driving that.

and now the issues with what everyone "thinks" are the real numbers may not be accurate at all because there are no multiple sources confirming or denying.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grethoregrethore Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll have to agree with some of you.
    I'm not a very happy camper right now.
    I've was a F2P player for about 2 years before subbing 100 days ago. (just got that "accolade") Had a little extra cash left over and decided to sub on both F2P accounts. I basically have to smoke 2 packs less each week to pay for the sub. Not a bad deal, I'm healthier, I get a little more for subbing...works out great right?

In game, I'm not rich. I don't have a lot of EC, nor a lot of dilithium. I'm not in a fleet for various reasons (don't want drama is one of them). So I've made due with the rear admiral ships for the most part. I've taken them about as far as I can, There's still more I could have done to eek out a bit more, but that would have taken a bit more time. But all in all, I usually do fairly well.

Then Delta Rising comes along and...
    Between 7 characters and about 30 ships, only 2 are even upgradable. But then I'd have to buy zen, but then I'd have to farm dilith to buy the zen, but then I'm basically not gonna be able to do any of the DR content until I get everything else done first. That will take months. And that's just for each character to have 1 ship to play with. I try to have some mirror ships so I can change up when I feel a little burnt out with one play style. So, to get every back to where I was before DR came out, it's another year...basically starting all over again from scratch.

I dunno, I'm just fed up.

I'm not asking for nor do I need to be in the top level ship with top level gear. With the rear admiral ships, it was basically I was in position to be competitive, definitely not in top level stuff and on par with the lock box, lobi or fleet ships...but I could compete. The margin was small enough that how I played, often made the difference. But now, I have no chance at all. Either I sit there and farm for months to get new ships, that I don't like the look of at all or for zen ships that frankly, don't have the Boff setups I prefer and currently have on my RA ships, or I just don't get to do any of the expansion at all.

The sad reality is this, I've come to realize that Cryptic doesn't care at all for us, they only want more $$$. If we don't pay up, and right NOW, then the hell with us. That's the take I get from this entire expansion. And that's NOT how I felt when I decided to sub on 2 accounts in July. Spending a little extra money and getting those 2 Zen ships was because I actually felt like going to the next level in performance. But now, meh. It feels like it's no longer F2P and Pay for Perks, to feeling like Pay to win and Pay to play at all.

Oh well I guess. Time to move on. While this expansion might net you some money Cryptic, I'm sure your decisions have also driven off some people who would have spent some real world money if you had done things differently.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    OP wants balance, doesnt define what they mean by that. nebulous.
    OP links a bunch of financial info non-seqs into advocating subscription model that saw sto fail already.

We really don't know if the sub model failed for STO. Atari sucked up all the profits and left Cryptic with a skeleton crew until the finally sold the company. Perhaps if Atari knew how to run an MMO and reinvested at adequate levels we might not have all these damned Chinese "innovations" gutting this game.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do my best.

$504M - Revenue
    $117M - Tax, Interest

= $387M Gross Income

$146M - R&D costs
    $ 13M - Other costs

Or you can say they invested a lot in R&D and still made a profit. Not that I really care. Their operating expenses rose from 2011 and their income took a big hit. Their SG&A also rose almost 50m in two years. Wow.

My question is that "discontinued operations". Wonder what that is?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Because he showed two sides of a coin in his thread ours and theirs, read carefully.

Showing two sides isn't unbiased. In fact it is a fantastic tool for propaganda. Especially when misrepresenting one side, or innocently misunderstanding them. Or when there are three or four sides and only two are included.

Unbiased means prese nting al i formation as if a neutral witness. It helps younot being invested (financially, emotionally, ideologically, politically, etc) in any side or outcome, but that's not always possible. For example talking about the finances of one's own country or city.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, I know “all in-game content can be achieves through hard work and for free”… as easily I can climb Mt Everest from my couch in Australia with no training and being completely out of shape. After all, nothing is impossible.

Literary Gold
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    how can someone have a "true" unbiased view on something when this persons vision on the entire thing has been blocked by pwe? im writing about behind the scenes rather then what they state in public. there are a number of pieces missing from this puzzle and unfortunately the OP is attempting to force pieces together to try make it look right.

while the op may of attempted to do good, the one thing that everyone keeps saying which seems to be the standard morandis for cryptic is that they need money however they can get it, however we dont know if there are other reasons on the line behind the scenes that could be driving that.

and now the issues with what everyone "thinks" are the real numbers may not be accurate at all because there are no multiple sources confirming or denying.

I'm not saying I agree with everything in the OP, or even a majority of it... just that he actually looked at STO for what it is, a cash grab players keep feeding.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I'm not saying I agree with everything in the OP, or even a majority of it... just that he actually looked at STO for what it is, a cash grab players keep feeding.
    *points at sig*

Not the HAIL HYDRA! part...

Or the Visitor text....

or the link to my explanation of how to make joysticks work....

Um yeah... that part at the bottom. MMOs are a for-profit venture, AKA a business. Acquiring the money of your customers is the core purpose of a business.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll admit my eyes glazed over when I read this:
    make profit over all else. This is the curse of F2P games.

This is the curse of all humans: thinking that not everyone is in it for the money.

I'm a pretty hippy-dippy, my-space-shippy, on a course so true kind of person: I still need to buy food and stuff.

If this game wasn't f2p, it would still exist to make money out of players by the very nature of it being dev'd by a private company. However much I agree with you on your thoughts about private corporate speculation etc etc (whatever they are, and I may not agree), the reality is your using summat someone else made.
    Play or quit.

Never was a truer word said mush.

Keep playing though. It is free, innit. ;-)
    giphy.gif
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I generally agree with the post, at the end of the day f2p is a short term boost for games, but designing around f2p kills gameplay and immersion in the long run.

STO used to be a virtual world, now not so much.

We all have different tolerances for this sort of thing. I haven't yet approached my jump-off point, I still like the game more than I dislike it, on the whole; but the frequency of things I don't like happening is getting higher and higher in relation to the things I do like, and I can see me ditching the game in a year or two (even as a casual month-on, couple-months-off type thing) if things keep going the way they are.

Even wanting an occasional Star Trek jag isn't going to be enough motivation to play a game that's gradually, insensibly becoming a meaningless Asian grinder.

The kicker for me is that the developers seem to be liking it that way.

*shrugs*
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *points at sig*

Or the Visitor text....

Um yeah... that part at the bottom. MMOs are a for-profit venture, AKA a business. Acquiring the money of your customers is the core purpose of a business.

Well yeah, there's making money, and then there's this.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,428 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A true and unbiased look at STO's future -

Precognition doesn't exist, not even as a power in CO. Nobody can see the future; at best we are "looking through a glass, darkly," as the poet put it. And any attempts to analyze the situation to predict the future are inherently biased, as there has not yet been enough time with truly F2P games like this competing with more-classical sub-only and heavily-gimped "F2P" games (think Dark Orbit or SWTOR - technically you can play them for free, but if you want to advance, you'd best open your wallet).

As Spock would say, there is insufficient data for a meaningful conclusion.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *points at sig*

Or the Visitor text....

Great line if you're a PWE/Cryptic employee/executive/stockholder, otherwise, you sound like a total shill arguing for the profitability of others.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And it doesn't even have the benefit of one of the most popular and well supported Intellectual Properties EVER created.

In a way, the IP may actually be a big part of the problem - or at least, a blessing and a curse at the same time. Surely PWE knows as well as any of us that as long as STO has the Star Trek IP, it can count on a big chunk of the fanbase of said IP to keep on playing, and keep on paying, no matter what. Granted, the diehards are probably not enough to keep STO going on their own, but they just might be enough to give PWE a big enough cushion that they can afford considerable churn among the rest of the player base.
    The first problem with STO is that it IS a combat game. Star Trek has never been about combat. It's about PEOPLE. Combat happens, but it's a means to an end. Here, it IS the end (and that's an ironically appropriate phrase).

First of all, Star Trek did become considerably more combat-oriented in the post-TNG years, especially DS9 (with the Dominion War) and Voyager (where hardly an episode went by when they weren't getting into a tussle with someone).

In any case, had Cryptic really set out to develop STO as something other than all combat all the time, a big chunk of its content would be nothing more than glorified clickies and puzzles. Not only would that get old just as fast as the combat content, if not faster (at least combat doesn't always go the same way twice), but it would seriously devalue shipbuilding and skill training. Why waste time, effort and currency (in-game or real-world) building the perfect beast of a starship if you're just going to be flying it around on a bunch of clickie missions?
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If crafting had been what they said it would be and even how they wanted it to be - deep with mods of your choice and items you can break down, you have 1 easy feature to rival combat right there...

They just victims of their poor decisions exactly like we are.

There isn't any external force or magic compounded reason things are where we are at, that removes the responsibility.

It's your job, get it done. If you can't perform you job find a new one and that's all there is to say