test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ships the cost/balance of delta.

dtranquildtranquil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok given certain mods are on a thread locking rampage please avoid the terms they are having fits over.

Could someone from Cryptic OR PWI (not a mod trying to white knight with poor info) Please explain the process behind the cost to upgrade.

T6 ships cost 3k zen and are the current "tier" so the price is rather justified.

However T5U and Fleet T5U prices don't seem to tally.

T5U is "worse" than t6 thats to be expected BUT when T5U effectively costs MORE than a t6 (T% avg price 2500zen , 700zen for the token)

You have to ask wouldnt it have been more apt to make them just upgrade to t6? that way keeping t5 sales valid as the tokens would mean that ships remain valid till around tier 7.

So given the base cost of 2500 (apart from bought in sales which you ran just before delta as well) what is the justification of the high cost to make a ship sub par? as at 500 the token would mean people are still paying the same for a t5u as for a t6 rather than 200(standard)-700(fleet) more, This was pointed out in feedback but seeming ignored why was that as we are seeing anger in chat still esp in some areas.
Post edited by dtranquil on

Comments

• alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Totally agree with what you said. This is a very bad stealth price hike.. Here buy this T5U ship, or fleet variant for 2500...err 3200 zen! More costly than the T6 ships and what's worse? All 3 packs are now 2100 more expensive bringing it to 7100 if you do them one at a time or 7000 if you buy a 4 pack of upgrades.. :confused:
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • irishxpirishxp Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Upgrade token can be purchased in Exchange from other players, or so I've read: that means you can spend EC for the upgrade.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why 700? Bacause it friggin' works.
    Over the last couple days I've seen T5Us all over the place and the T6 are clearly still in the minority. People know that the upgrade tokens are too expenseive and a comparison dosen't add up properly but there are so may people who don't give a damn and buy upgrades for like 20 old ships they never use. As long as there are enough people who buy this stuff without even thinking about it properly (and there are alot of them) cryptic has no reason to do anything about their prices.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dtranquil wrote: »
    Could someone from Cryptic OR PWI (not a mod trying to white knight with poor info) Please explain the process behind the cost to upgrade.
    I can do that for them.

Your wallet
    various upgrades
    >cryptic's wallet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    I've played about 12 hours so far, and I still prefer my T5-U ships over the T6 Intel ships.

The exception is the KDF Raptor.
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've played about 12 hours so far, and I still prefer my T5-U ships over the T6 Intel ships.

The exception is the KDF Raptor.

I'm liking the Guardian. Never had anything other than the freebie ships from leveling and, the T5 Ambassadore. So, I had nothing that was upgradeable.

And, I like the raptor but, could only get one, for now. Maybe in a couple more months. My kdf toons need a new ship, too...though I really want a T6 Bop. :P
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i have been saying all along that this would kill T5 ship sales, there may be some players who have existing T5 ships that will pay to upgrade but who would want to buy a T5 now, not when you can buy T6 ones for about the same price as a T5+upgrade.

the problem is they are stuck now, they cant really lower the price of T5 ships without making the upgrade fee look stupid.

still they have made their T5 bed they will have to sleep on it.

only thing is it highlights what a good deal the DR ship pack is with 9 ships + extras for $125, thats about $10 per ship & $35 for the extras.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    also: upgrade packs, 4 tokens for 2k zen, meaning 500z each. obviously, since they are tradeable on the exchange or via trade windows, its best to go for the 4 packs, use what you want, and sell the rest.

therefore trhe pricing is equal.

T5 to T5U = 2k base with 500 upgrade .... equal in price to a T5 fleet with the purchase of the equivalent retrofit.
    FT5 to FT5u = 2500 zen base + 500zen upgrade = 3k zen, price of a T6 ship.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why 700? Bacause it friggin' works.
    Over the last couple days I've seen T5Us all over the place and the T6 are clearly still in the minority. People know that the upgrade tokens are too expenseive and a comparison dosen't add up properly but there are so may people who don't give a damn and buy upgrades for like 20 old ships they never use. As long as there are enough people who buy this stuff without even thinking about it properly (and there are alot of them) cryptic has no reason to do anything about their prices.

Quoted for Truth! TY Serious Dave.

I myself bought the DR Ops Pack [LINK]

It comes with a few T5U upgrade tokens. I have used one of them for my most favorite ROM Warbird (I think everyone is sick of looking at my ship by now :P) [LINK]

I still have those other two uptokes. Last time I looked they were going for 50M EC on the XCHG.

I have been pondering selling them off and buying one of the new RCS consoles. My point is, why would I upgrade my old ships when I just got a fist full of new ones across all three factions.

People, please think it out and take the math as calculated by Dave et. al. Cryptic will let you spend all your rent money and when your wife finds out you spent a hundred bucks on a game for items that can not even be realized in "the real world"...sorry but I really had to grovel for my wife for the mucho denaro I spent on STO of late :P

Yeah, TLDR, save your money buckos! Don't give it away when Christmas is just around the corner and your kid needs shoes cause theirs have holes and they need a new jacket cause theirs is now too small and your wife has lost thirty pounds and her clothes don't fit her anymore but that might be ok...for easy access...if you get my drift :P
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    also: upgrade packs, 4 tokens for 2k zen, meaning 500z each. obviously, since they are tradeable on the exchange or via trade windows, its best to go for the 4 packs, use what you want, and sell the rest.

word to the TRIBBLE!

be open minded but not so open minded your brain falls out!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • kyhas1kyhas1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But with Fleet T6 the cost would work out at 3500 Zen. Just saying.

An issue i have is the Atrox, 2500 zen, plus 500 for fleet, plus 700 to upgrade. 3700. Thats an issue. Mysuggestion is to bring the 2500 Zen ships down to 2000 Zen levels.

P.S feel free to give the atrox console/frigates when you do.............
    edited October 2014
    kyhas1 wrote: »
    But with Fleet T6 the cost would work out at 3500 Zen. Just saying.

An issue i have is the Atrox, 2500 zen, plus 500 for fleet, plus 700 to upgrade. 3700. Thats an issue. Mysuggestion is to bring the 2500 Zen ships down to 2000 Zen levels.

P.S feel free to give the atrox console/frigates when you do.............

as i just said what would be the point in charging an upgrade fee if it means you have to lower the price of the ship to compensate, thats just silly.

• atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    as i just said what would be the point in charging an upgrade fee if it means you have to lower the price of the ship to compensate, thats just silly.

Because T5 and below should have dropped down in price because they are no longer desirable/increasingly undesirable and T6 should have replaced T5's price point as top tier (which was pretty questionable to begin with).
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dtranquil wrote: »
    T5U is "worse" than t6 thats to be expected BUT when T5U effectively costs MORE than a t6 (T% avg price 2500zen , 700zen for the token)
    For many the T5U cost is spread over years. They might have purchased their Excelsior in 2010 and they might have purchased their Fleet Excelsior for $5.00 more in 2012. Adding an additional $5.00-$7.00 on to that 2 years later is not that big of a deal - especially when you can purchase the Upgrade Tokens from the Exchange for EC.

It is also much easier for many to accept a $7.00 Upgrade Token cost then to spend another $30.00 on a new T6 ship. $7.00 is an insignificant amount of money in most people's lives. It is a large latte and a scone at Starbucks - something I have 3+ times a week. It is a bucket of popcorn at a movie - or half the price of a movie ticket. It is 2 gallons of gas. It is about one day's cost of my family's cellphone bill, etc. Most people do not see $7.00 as a hardship and will be willing to spend it for a 5% bonus on their ship compared to a 6-7% bonus for $30.00.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's not about ships already owned. It's about why would anyone buy a ship he/she doesn't own now when you have to pay more to bring it up to par?

New T5 ship sales will probably take a hit now. Those who already have a ship may still do the upgrade token.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
    edited October 2014
    It's not about ships already owned. It's about why would anyone buy a ship he/she doesn't own now when you have to pay more to bring it up to par?
    The simplest answer here is that the canon ships are T5. If you want to fly a Defiant, Sovereign, or any other hero ship, then you need to buy a T5. How you get it to T5U is up to you: Dilthium Exchange, buying Zen, or ECs.

Not everyone only cares about raw power. Many are just looking for a Trek experience, so they jump into their Defiant, put their characters in DS9 uniforms, and just live their Trek fantasy - and since normal Missions are scaled to level 50 the extra power from T5U or T6 is virtually meaningless as you can already vap things on normal in T5 ships.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited October 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The simplest answer here is that the canon ships are T5. If you want to fly a Defiant, Sovereign, or any other hero ship, then you need to buy a T5. How you get it to T5U is up to you: Dilthium Exchange, buying Zen, or ECs.

Not everyone only cares about raw power. Many are just looking for a Trek experience, so they jump into their Defiant, put their characters in DS9 uniforms, and just live their Trek fantasy - and since normal Missions are scaled to level 50 the extra power from T5U or T6 is virtually meaningless as you can already vap things on normal in T5 ships.

Almost all of those people already got those ships though. People like that bought those years ago as the first ships every purchased. But if they want to fly another ship one day, why would they get another T5 that's not canon over the T6?
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
    edited October 2014
    Almost all of those people already got those ships though. People like that bought those years ago as the first ships every purchased. But if they want to fly another ship one day, why would they get another T5 that's not canon over the T6?
    This game is not just for people already here. It is a FTP game. It is expected that people will come and go regularly - turnover is huge in FTP games. So for every person who gets sick of the grind there is someone else stepping into his departing shoes. If they are Trek fans they will gravitate to ships they recognize.

I have 13 level 50 characters. Only 3 of them are not using canon ships - 4 if you do not consider the Vesta canon. People fly what they want to fly. Trekkers like to fly canon. Power gamers will fly a beach ball if it has the stats they want to fly. It is just the way the world works. And some people will buy what they like to look at while playing, even if it is not the best in the game. :)
    edited October 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Because T5 and below should have dropped down in price because they are no longer desirable/increasingly undesirable and T6 should have replaced T5's price point as top tier (which was pretty questionable to begin with).

if you cant see the ideosy of slapping a $5 upgrade fee on a T5 ship then knocking $5 to make it more desirable then i guess this conversation is over, if you are saying drop the price by $5 and remove the $5 upgrade fee that i would agree with.

• swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While buying everything to get to 5U is more expensive, for many of us, we're already most of the way there. For 3 of my characters, I was able to go to 5u for only $14. That's less than the cost of a single T6 ship, so why not?
    Going forwards, I'd expect to see new players/characters just flying T6 ships, but for the majority of people flying T5s right now, upgrading's cheaper by a lot.
    edited October 2014
    swamarian wrote: »
    While buying everything to get to 5U is more expensive, for many of us, we're already most of the way there. For 3 of my characters, I was able to go to 5u for only $14. That's less than the cost of a single T6 ship, so why not?
    Going forwards, I'd expect to see new players/characters just flying T6 ships, but for the majority of people flying T5s right now, upgrading's cheaper by a lot.

everybody is failing to grasp the point of this thread, nobody is disputing the fact that it is cheaper to upgrade currently owned T5 ships, what we are talking of here is the combined price of buying a new T5 ship together with the T5U upgrade fee being equal to that of a T6 ship.

• karlbarbkarlbarb Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually, careful with the comparison here. For the most part, the 2.5k ships were set ships that could be bought as a three pack for 5k. Which most people did because, let's be honest, the set bonuses and all those consoles were just too sweet to pass up.

And in general, even if someone had all three ships, they only generally flew one of them, depending on their playstyle. So only one of them actually ends up getting upgraded to T5U. The three piece Scimitar set utterly destroys all the T6 ships currently released. Same with the Vesta set. The one added bridge officer ability on T6 doesn't close that gap.

Otherwise, most of the standalone ships (exceptions exist) were the 2k ships which upgraded ended up costing 2.5 or 2.7k which is still good given T5U ships are really quite strong. Not quite on par with T6 in most cases, of course, but then again, you're also paying 300 or 500 less zen for it.

I actually got the Delta pack. Because, you know, money burns in my pocket and I have several toons across different factions to equip. And you know what? My main is flying around with her T5U D'Deridex as no T6 rommie engineering ship has it's HP and I don't need that much turn rate to beam broadside baddies.

I'd say the only real significant complaint would come from those who are upgrading from fleet ships as they already paid an extra 500 zen for those. But given that T5U and T6 fleet upgrades haven't been introduced yet, I'd take a wait and see approach. In my opinion, Cryptic should give fleet upgrades for free for those players who *already* got their fleet upgrades as they already spent the Zen for it.
    edited October 2014
    everybody is failing to grasp the point of this thread, nobody is disputing the fact that it is cheaper to upgrade currently owned T5 ships, what we are talking of here is the combined price of buying a new T5 ship together with the T5U upgrade fee being equal to that of a T6 ship.
    And the point you seem unwilling to accept is that it can be substantially cheaper if you Upgraded without spending any money via Dilithium or EC, before even add time into the equation.

No one cares if $32.00 is more then $30.00 if they did not pay some or all of the $32.00. What many people care about is just flying the ships they want to fly - even if it is $2.00 more.

You can purchase a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi for $1.75 or a 24 oz bottle for $1.50. The price difference does not stop them from selling millions of 24 oz bottles of Pepsi per year. :)
    edited October 2014
    And the point you seem unwilling to accept is that it can be substantially cheaper if you Upgraded without spending any money via Dilithium or EC, before even add time into the equation.

No one cares if $32.00 is more then $30.00 if they did not pay some or all of the $32.00. What many people care about is just flying the ships they want to fly - even if it is $2.00 more.

You can purchase a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi for $1.75 or a 24 oz bottle for $1.50. The price difference does not stop them from selling millions of 24 oz bottles of Pepsi per year. :)

I don't speak for people like saying how they will get it via EC or dilithium. Some want to use those for other things.

And even if we include those, a person wanting to buy a ship they don't already own can use those methods to get the ships too. Why not grind it out to a T6 since it will be the same grind or even less grind depending on the 4 pack vs 1 pack. Which you fail to see. No matter what method, it's still either more cash, or more grind for the person just coming to the game. Which I actually got a friend to do just before this expansion. And now the T5 upgrade vs T6 has made him worried about continuing with any Cryptic game.

You keep speaking from your perspective of being in the game for years and only needing that token now and not from a new player who when he hits level 50 will see T6 as the better option and just do that vs T5 and token.

As for the canon thing, all the shows were Captains so he was like Admirals should have other ships of the "current design" which by the way isn't a 40 year old ship. So that even doesn't always hold water.
    _____

edited October 2014
    You keep speaking from your perspective of being in the game for years and only needing that token now and not from a new player who when he hits level 50 will see T6 as the better option and just do that vs T5 and token.
    No. I am speaking from the perspective of being level 50 and being told I can buy another $30.00 ship or a $7.00 Upgrade Token. If I have already paid $25.00 for a Vesta would I rather spend $30.00 more on a new Scryer or $7.00 more for a Vesta Upgrade? If the Scryer were 50% better then an Upgrade Vesta, maybe. But the difference between T5U Vesta and T6 Scryer is minimal.

And you really cannot discount the fact that people like to fly ships they like. Only a small percentage of players in this game PvP. For most of the casual players the T5U power is just more power creep in a game where they are already over-powered. The Mission Content is locked to level 50 on Normal difficulty. That means T5U is even more powerful then existing Fleet T5s. The extra couple of percent for a T6 is meaningless.

And the age thing is meaningless as well. People want to fly what they want to fly. Should I point you to the hundreds of T5 Connie threads as proof? :)
    edited October 2014

if its a ship you perticulally want that is a differant matter, i dare say if that were the case you would be happy to pay just about any price within reason.
    we are talking here in general terms of players that just want to spend a bit of cash on the c-store and is looking for the best ship they can buy with the money they have to spend, in this case i belive most people will go for the T6 ship over the T5U given that the T6 has a slight edge over a T5U and both cost the same.
    a bit like if you went to buy a car and there was a ford focus in the showroom and a Lamborghini with the same price tag even if the ford focus was upgraded to almost match the Lamborghini.

edited October 2014
    No. I am speaking from the perspective of being level 50 and being told I can buy another $30.00 ship or a $7.00 Upgrade Token. If I have already paid $25.00 for a Vesta would I rather spend $30.00 more on a new Scryer or $7.00 more for a Vesta Upgrade? If the Scryer were 50% better then an Upgrade Vesta, maybe. But the difference between T5U Vesta and T6 Scryer is minimal.

And you really cannot discount the fact that people like to fly ships they like. Only a small percentage of players in this game PvP. For most of the casual players the T5U power is just more power creep in a game where they are already over-powered. The Mission Content is locked to level 50 on Normal difficulty. That means T5U is even more powerful then existing Fleet T5s. The extra couple of percent for a T6 is meaningless.

And the age thing is meaningless as well. People want to fly what they want to fly. Should I point you to the hundreds of T5 Connie threads as proof? :)

Then you are off topic of the thread. It's not about the ships you already own. It's about a ship you don't own and that getting a T5 and upgrading that ship would cost as much or more than a T6. And your example of the Vesta shows that you are speaking about a ship already owned. You still won't even look at it from the perspective of a new person hitting the game and thinking why the F would he spend 30 dollars on a T5U when that same gets a T6? And that's the low cost of buying a 4 pack which a new player may not even need the other 3 in the future. Without a DeLorean built by Doc Brown, those other 3 may or may not be used can not be said with certainty.

And those T5 Connie threads are pointless since CBS said no way back in the first year of the game about the Connie and refuse to budge.
    _____

edited October 2014
    Then you are off topic of the thread.
    The purpose of this thread is to determine if $32.00 spent is as useful to a player as spending $30.00. The answer to that question is that it depends on many factors.

To the tens, if not hundreds of thousands who already own C-Store ships a $7.00 investment can be better then another $30.00 investment.

To people who love canon spending $32.00 on a T5U Defiant can give them more joy then spending $30.00 on a Phantom.

To PvPers buying a T6 will be more important then Upgrading a T5 because they want the extra couple of percent of power.

To people who just buy everything they will buy the Delta Pack for $125.00 even if they already own hundreds of dollars of ships. *raises hand* :)

There is no one answer as each person will do what is right for them. But I do not believe $2.00 difference is much of a mitigating factor for most people - especially since they do not need to pay that $2.00 out of their own pocket if they do not wish to.

Very few things in life are completely balanced against each other.
    edited October 2014
    we can both have our own opinions of how thing will pan out and only time will tell what way punters will go but if in the next year they start giving T5 c-store ships away or having sales and we see a lot more T6 ships then T5u i think we will have our answer.

edited October 2014
    They give away T5 ships every year. It will be interesting to see if they start giving away T6 ships next year. :)