What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #68 - STO Halloween - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "Remembrance of the Fallen", a collaboration between me and takeshi6 with a crossover between the Masterverse and Bait and Switch.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I must have missed something, but what is the "masterverse"?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I must have missed something, but what is the "masterverse"?

The War of the Masters series, a shared universe between sander, gulberat, takeshi6, ambassadormolari, and a few others. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1180241
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    "Remembrance of the Fallen", a collaboration between me and takeshi6 with a crossover between the Masterverse and Bait and Switch.

Cast:
    • Commander Tiana Lanstar: Maryke Hendrikse
    • Cadet Lieutenant Kanril Eleya: Jennifer Hale
    • Commander Haelivthras th'Shvrashli: Brandon Keener
    • Cadet 4th Class Kojami Sobaru: Brittney Wilson
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Very nice character piece. Writing felt a little...I dunno, odd, at times, probably just the whole collab thing.

Eleya's cool as always, the dialogue was a tiny, tiny bit choppy at times, but again these are just vague feelings.

Overall, solid piece.

Any thoughts on the piece I wrote in the redux thread when I should've been asleep?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Very nice character piece. Writing felt a little...I dunno, odd, at times, probably just the whole collab thing.

Eleya's cool as always, the dialogue was a tiny, tiny bit choppy at times, but again these are just vague feelings.

Overall, solid piece.

Any thoughts on the piece I wrote in the redux thread when I should've been asleep?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think a lot of it is,neither of us were really comfortable writing each other's characters, so we were sorta taking turns and writing around each other. It's not easy, especially since the style I usually use with Eleya is diametrically different from Takeshi's. (We decided fairly early to go with the more traditional literary mode instead of Eleya's present tense first person smartass thing, or jump between depending on whose perspective we're talking from.)

I'd love to see what DEA thinks of it if you get a chance.

And no, I didn't see it yet; I was asleep. :D Had work this morning. I'll take a look, though.

EDIT: Oh, that one! Yeah, Daleks v. SHLIFFG, killed me dead. Reminded me of the series two finale with the Cybermen. And the Elements have it in for D'Trel as usual. Sometimes you can't change things.

Smooth, solid, fun read, worffan.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I think a lot of it is,neither of us were really comfortable writing each other's characters, so we were sorta taking turns and writing around each other. It's not easy, especially since the style I usually use with Eleya is diametrically different from Takeshi's. (We decided fairly early to go with the more traditional literary mode instead of Eleya's present tense first person smartass thing, or jump between depending on whose perspective we're talking from.)

I'd love to see what DEA thinks of it if you get a chance.
    I'll see what I can do, midterms have left my schedule real tight.

When marcusdkane and I wrote "Invasion", we would send the chapter drafts back and forth via email; that was really helpful when it came to the chapters where both authors' characters had major roles.
    And no, I didn't see it yet; I was asleep. :D Had work this morning. I'll take a look, though.

EDIT: Oh, that one! Yeah, Daleks v. SHLIFFG, killed me dead. Reminded me of the series two finale with the Cybermen. And the Elements have it in for D'Trel as usual. Sometimes you can't change things.

Smooth, solid, fun read, worffan.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I am a massive Dalek fanboy, so of COURSE the Daleks are OP compared to everything...and yeah, that was a fairly explicit "Doomsday" reference, that bit where those two Cybermen are arguing with the Dalek is just perfect in so many ways...

D'trel is basically the universe's chew toy, and she hates it. She's already done that whole epic dramatic emotional take-charge-of-her-own-destiny thing, and it hasn't done one iota of good.

This is basically because STO's storyline has the PC doing a LOT of fixed-point things that would greatly change the universe if the PC didn't exist and/or make the decisions xe did. So my justification for why, in a universe already full of time travel and now getting a lift from a freaking Time Lord, D'trel can't save Adani, or fix her miserable life, is that some jerk from the future is maintaining the stability of the timeline by TRIBBLE D'trel over.

I think of this hypothetical person as not unlike temporal Franklin Drake.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'll see what I can do, midterms have left my schedule real tight.

When marcusdkane and I wrote "Invasion", we would send the chapter drafts back and forth via email; that was really helpful when it came to the chapters where both authors' characters had major roles.
    Yeah, we were sharing a Google doc and chatting.
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I am a massive Dalek fanboy, so of COURSE the Daleks are OP compared to everything...and yeah, that was a fairly explicit "Doomsday" reference, that bit where those two Cybermen are arguing with the Dalek is just perfect in so many ways...

D'trel is basically the universe's chew toy, and she hates it. She's already done that whole epic dramatic emotional take-charge-of-her-own-destiny thing, and it hasn't done one iota of good.

This is basically because STO's storyline has the PC doing a LOT of fixed-point things that would greatly change the universe if the PC didn't exist and/or make the decisions xe did. So my justification for why, in a universe already full of time travel and now getting a lift from a freaking Time Lord, D'trel can't save Adani, or fix her miserable life, is that some jerk from the future is maintaining the stability of the timeline by TRIBBLE D'trel over.

I think of this hypothetical person as not unlike temporal Franklin Drake.
    I was thinking it was an aftereffect of the technobabble that caused the Hobus shockwaves to travel through subspace.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, we were sharing a Google doc and chatting.

I was thinking it was an aftereffect of the technobabble that caused the Hobus shockwaves to travel through subspace.

eh, that could work, too. The specifics aren't important, the important part is that D'trel can't just strap a stolen Borg temporal thingamajig to her ship and go back to kill Hakeev.

On the livechat now, but DEA isn't there.
  • Options
    medic9193medic9193 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Only one prompt? :(

Well, let's see what I can come up with. *cracks knuckles*

There once was a tribble....The End.Scariest story of all time.
    y2idwb.png
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, it's going a lot less spooky halloweeny than I wanted, but hey ho.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Okay, tossing this one out to the hive-mind. Does anyone know of an extremely toxic substance, by preference a strong acid, that is solid (crystalline works best) at room temperature, and which can be exposed to normal humidity without dissolving too quickly?

What I have in mind is something that might be a spice to, say, a Horta, or even a Bolian, but quickly lethal to most humanoid species (particularly Bajorans and Ferengi). Any tips?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Okay, tossing this one out to the hive-mind. Does anyone know of an extremely toxic substance, by preference a strong acid, that is solid (crystalline works best) at room temperature, and which can be exposed to normal humidity without dissolving too quickly?

What I have in mind is something that might be a spice to, say, a Horta, or even a Bolian, but quickly lethal to most humanoid species (particularly Bajorans and Ferengi). Any tips?

Sodium hydroxide. Incredibly strong base, highly corrosive and lethal to humans, can take up a lot of water before dissolving.

Or just use sulfuric acid, that's nasty as hell, powerful desiccant. Viciously toxic to humans, it'll burn your insides and then poison you with sulfide derivatives. Bolians could probably eat it. Horta probably could.

It'd kill a Ferengi in...minutes, with the appropriate dosage.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

All the strong acids I know about tend to be impressively hygroscopic to the point where they don't occur naturally in crystalline form. For example, sulfuric acid frequently occurs in strong concentrations in volcanic lakes, but the yellow stuff at the shoreline is mostly pure sulfur. Strong acids will pull water vapor right out of the air if you leave them to sit.

However, you could try using it like vinegar as a liquid seasoning.

Another option (toxic to humans but not an acid) might be powdered galena, which is lead (II) sulfide. Also lead oxide, which occurs as a couple of different crystalline minerals.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do believe sodium hydroxide is the winner. It takes a bit before absorbing the water out of the air; its toxicity is actually magnified when consumed, due to exothermic reactions; and in small doses, it is in fact used in food preparation (well, if you consider lutefisk food, anyway).

Okay, the story's coming together now...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Okay, so I've started my entry for this prompt. I'd like your opinions on what I have so far;

Basically, I'm starting out with an analysis of Halloween's origins and how it shows human traits, as well as touching on what other species might have as an equivalent.

Don't worry, I'm not just writing an essay on the human condition. Here's what I want to know;

Gremlin or Poltergeist?
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Here's what I want to know;

Gremlin or Poltergeist?

Gremlin. It can, as required, be always after midnight in space. Also, how do you know you got them all?

On my own third attempt for this one, and honestly I want to do two eventually if I can get the first one done. It should be a musing on masks, but I'm trying to balance getting the character in question forced on vacation versus too much exposition. The second should be more traditionally festivaly.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Question for y'all:

If the writing bug has left you at some point for whatever reason, was there a catalyst that brought it back?

Did avoidance or immersion improve or worsen your desire to jot stuff down?

Need some type of guidance/advice or I'm afraid the crew of the Bonaventure is lost for good...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    Question for y'all:

If the writing bug has left you at some point for whatever reason, was there a catalyst that brought it back?

Need some type of guidance/advice or I'm afraid the crew of the Bonaventure is lost for good...

I find it helps to take a break and read or watch something else (e.g. I'm working my way through Babylon 5 and a couple Discworld novels right now, and I've got The Dresden Files 4 and 5 and Star Carrier: Dark Matter in my queue).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Question for y'all:

Take a break from writing. Don't give up on it, but don't try to force it either. Go off and do other things you enjoy. I lost the writing bug for a couple months earlier in the year. Eventually, a prompt turned up that inspired me and I dove right back in again. It's like everything. If you do it constantly, it becomes mundane. Taking a break lets you recharge your batteries. If you come up with ideas during that time but dont feel like writing them out, make a note of the stories for a later date when you do feel like coming back. But if you are a writer, the passion will never leave for good. You're just between seasons at the moment.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Read a good book. I binge-read and re-read the latest Brandon Sanderson epic before and during LC 60. That's why I wrote so much for it.

Alternatively, watch a TV show that's got great acting and characters but pants writing. I know that the general incompetence of Once Upon A Time's writers inspires a LOT of fixit fics, from me and my friends.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Question for y'all:

I do note down any flashes of inspiration, or block out scenes, but I don't try and force anything out and simply stop writing :cool:
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just as a head's up, I've been bogged down with midterms this week. I'm hoping to have an entry posted this weekend, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm working a solo piece with Eleya and Gaarra and the Bajor's memorial wall. Hopefully it'll be done this weekend.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    drajoradrajora Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And entry posted. Continuing on from the last story, which was far shorter than I intended it to be.

Captain Persico of the Talon is lying in sickbay, wounded from the attack by the rogue Klingon Admiral.

We also get a bit of a look in at Admiral Venas, who isn't above a little trick-or-treating herself...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Trick-or-treating? You mean piracy. Not to mention sending a distress signal and then attacking the responding vessel. There's a very good reason the Geneva Conventions in real life make it a war crime to send a fake distress signal: it makes people not want to render assistance to genuinely endangered crews.

So congratulations. Your admiral just pulled a Janeway and screwed her own government and the Alpha Quadrant for her own personal convenience.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hawk, that was absolutely hilarious. I'm busting my sides with laughter. Thank you!
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No where near as creepy and haunted as I intended, but that's just the way the story went. Cast list:

Talaina Kazzur: Sharon Stone (Total Recall era)
    Ttorkkinn: Michael Ironside
    Xui Li: Lucy Liu (with a heavy chinese accent)
    Jenna Jones: Sarah Chalke (first season of Scrubs era)
    Claire Dotson: Denise Richards
    T'Fon: Jason Statham
    Karry: Anna Hathaway
    Grimworm: Voiced by Kelsey Grammer.
    Bob Juffra: Viggo Mortensen
    Naahz: Virginia Hey
    Trarsk: Paul Goddard