Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But that's going to be the next faction! :P
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    true, sometimes ppl will focus on the one thing u did wrong rather than all the other good things
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Paris & Janeway made spawn together.

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,388 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    He called "These Are the Voyages", the ENT finale that reduced the main characters to holodeck sideshows for Riker, a "love letter to the fans."

I don't feel bad for him at all.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    He called "These Are the Voyages", the ENT finale that reduced the main characters to holodeck sideshows for Riker, a "love letter to the fans."

Agreed. I might argue 'he had no choice' - forced by the network in some fashion, but he could have always said 'no'.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    I don't accept "Threshold" as canon. Every Trek series has its stinker or two, but that one is a garbage scow all its own.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is Threshold? It is not like my brain personally deleted certain information to protect itself from injury.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't accept "Threshold" as canon. Every Trek series has its stinker or two, but that one is a garbage scow all its own.

i dont consider jjcrap as canon either. so good to see some have their iron bars to carry around.
    starkaos wrote: »
    What is Threshold? It is not like my brain personally deleted certain information to protect itself from injury.

warp 10, paris turns into... something, takes janeway with him, she turns into... something, have kids, found, restored. spawn/children left to themselves. :D
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    everyone brings up Threshold....... therefore Threshold is the most popular episode in all of Star Trek
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If I remember correctly, I believe Threshold was the only Star Trek episode to actually be struck from canon by CBS.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I stopped watching Voyager early on so I did not know what this "Threshold" episode was about. I hop on Memory Alpha to read up on it, cringing, smiling, being horrified. It can be summed up with this:

"At the 2009 New Jersey Star Trek convention, Kate Mulgrew remarked to the audience that "Threshold" was the episode of Star Trek: Voyager she was most uncomfortable with, noting that she didn't like the thought of mating with Paris as a lizard"

The **** you gotta do for your job :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    everyone brings up Threshold....... therefore Threshold the most popular episode in all of Star Trek
    ahaahahaahahaaahaha!!!!!!

Ohhh... that's funny. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    true, sometimes ppl will focus on the one thing u did wrong rather than all the other good things

Except with Brannon Braga, it's the opposite. He and Rick Berman are probably the people most responsible for killing Star Trek.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, I believe Threshold was the only Star Trek episode to actually be struck from canon by CBS.

Paris said in a later episode that he had never been at transwarp before.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry but I can't understand why "Threshold" is regarded as such a terrible episode.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jjumetley wrote: »
    Sorry but I can't understand why "Threshold" is regarded as such a terrible episode.

Let's have Chuck explain it to you:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.php
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Except with Brannon Braga, it's the opposite. He and Rick Berman are probably the people most responsible for killing Star Trek.
    Of course, they may also be the ones responsible for it having had so many episodes to that.

Maybe it is the TV politics version of: "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian..."

It's difficult to step down once you realize you're out of steam. They kinda tried that, when they let someone else do more of the last season of Enterprise. It was too late to turn the viewership around, but I think it showed there was still life left in the franchise, but you needed fresh blood that had not done it so intensively for several years.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Umm, "Terra Prime" was an ENT finale, "These are the Voyages..." was a love letter to all ST series fans.

He remains responsible for some of the worst ST episodes in ST. And there have been a lot of bad ST episodes in ST...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    "These are the Voyages..." was a love letter to all ST series fans.

It was more like a hate mail to the fans. :P
  • Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Let's have Chuck explain it to you:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.php
    I guess I've seen it before but I'd prefer to comment on specific issues rather than unfunny jokes of that author.

The only thing I don't like about that episode is the manner (or rather a lack of one) in which Janeway and Paris are brought back to being normal.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "Threshold" is not only an offense to storytelling, but also an offense to anyone who understands the concept of evolution. It's stupid, and tries to be pretentious by throwing in a lot of terminology the scriptwriter clearly didn't understand.

"These Are the Voyages" is the kind of "love letter" that is usually accompanied by dead flowers, and results in a restraining order. It desecrated not only the series it was stuck onto, but also the TNG episode it was supposed to be riffing on (Riker was having a crisis of conscience over the Pegasus affair, not playing Chef on the holodeck, and even if he had been, the conversations had and conclusions reached had nothing to do with Riker's decisions and actions in that episode).

And Berman and Braga's attitude toward Manny Coto continuing the show without them was pretty clearly displayed by the mess they left him with - time-traveling alien TRIBBLE lizard people, indeed!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And Berman and Braga's attitude toward Manny Coto continuing the show without them was pretty clearly displayed by the mess they left him with - time-traveling alien TRIBBLE lizard people, indeed!

And Coto made lemonade out of it. He used it to revert that entire stupid Temporal Cold War arc and get the show back to what it was supposed to be all along.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »

No. Threshold was never struck from canon.
    Paris said in a later episode that he had never been at transwarp before.

He said he'd never travelled in a Transwarp Conduit before, not that he'd never travelled at Transwarp before.

There are far worse episodes than Threshold in ST: Spocks Brain, the one with the space hippies, ST V, STVI, Code of Honour, Shades of Grey, Prophet and Lace, A Night in Sickbay, These are the Voyages.
    I fount Threshold to be mildly watchable, the science was no more laughable than Janeway suggesting you could escape an event horizon by going faster, as though the event horizon was a physical place rather than maths.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Technically, you could escape an event horizon by going faster - faster than light, that is; the event horizon is just the point at which escape velocity exceeds c.

It was the "crack" in the event horizon that got me in that episode.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Technically, you could escape an event horizon by going faster - faster than light, that is; the event horizon is just the point at which escape velocity exceeds c.

It was the "crack" in the event horizon that got me in that episode.

Yeah, that's what I meant :o. A crack in maths.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've always thought of the ending of "Threshold" as being another "NEXUS" type of thing.

Paris and Janeway just hyper-warped into a 'Nexus-Type' of phenomenon, because the Delta-Flyer wasn't able to actually achieve a complete "slip-stream" effect.

Paris and B'elanna were on the right track with their tinkering of the Delta-Flyers engines, they just didn't have the right formula numbers to achieve Slip-Stream.

Since they didn't know what "Slip-Stream" was yet, they called it "...achieving Warp 10..." even though it was really a half-assed Slip-Stream effect.
    (it's kinda-sorta like when the Enterprise got half-caught in that wormhole in The Motion Picture because the Warp Engines weren't balanced)

At the end what was left behind was like the "shadow" of Guinan, but all weirded out because it wasn't the actual Nexus but something similar.

That's just my "head-canon" but it makes the episode a bit easier to digest.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would you guys agree that Braga and Co made a big mistake by making war and religion as main themes in ST?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would you guys agree that Braga and Co made a big mistake by making war and religion as main themes in ST?

Not really. Star Trek was always about social commentary and war and religion are major components of human existence.

I'll grant they perhaps focused on those more heavily than they should have.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Not really. DS9 is my favourite Star Trek series.