test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

disappointed with tholian recluse carrier

2»

Comments

• rahadamanthrahadamanth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Quick question on your build: what are the flow capacitors modifying? I usually see them on drain builds.

Power for Plasmonic Leech console probably
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't despair, you are flying one of the best ships in the game.

STO just takes some time to pick up.

Oh, yeah, and I'm back by the way. I had the sudden urge to pull up stakes and move across the country. Finally got internet (if you can call DSL that... After my fiber optic cable it seems like I'm using tin cans and string...) and as soon as I actually get a desk I'll be playing again too hehe.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    Don't despair, you are flying one of the best ships in the game.

STO just takes some time to pick up.

Oh, yeah, and I'm back by the way. I had the sudden urge to pull up stakes and move across the country. Finally got internet (if you can call DSL that... After my fiber optic cable it seems like I'm using tin cans and string...) and as soon as I actually get a desk I'll be playing again too hehe.

Welcome back!
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited October 2014
    If that pet attack pattern debuff is a stacking effect like someone mentioned, it might be that the pets are designed for single target play and the weapon strength of the pet reflects that. (meaning it's weak)

That would be counter to the style of play I've been using, with pets mainly in intercept mode using a lot of aoe attacks, not single target.

I'm not sure how many people come back to read these threads, there's a lot of distracting traffic (on the thread) but ... yeah, I've done some more testing and playing around with stuff. The new experiences seem to reflect that. I think that's definitely part of why I haven't warmed up to this one initially.

I hear you guys though, I won't just "troll the ship" as you say, it's cool.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In PvE, pets should pretty much always be set to attack.
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well as a sci captain you all have convinced me to get one. One question. ..am i correct that the general concensus is that the orb weaver/recluse consoles are a waste?
    5rFUCPd.png

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well as a sci captain you all have convinced me to get one. One question. ..am i correct that the general concensus is that the orb weaver/recluse consoles are a waste?

I have neither, but from what I gather the Recluse console is rubbish, but the orb weaver's tholian web console might have some specific uses.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The onboard console can probably help you do some peak damage for 10 seconds every 3 minutes.

But then you gotta compare that to say putting a plasmonic leech or some other damned item in there instead that is constant.

I always laugh at anything with high timers, like when reputation abilities had a 10 min cooldown, I'd laugh and not even put them on my board.

3-5 min auto excludes mostly everything in my opinion when you can have stuff in there with a 100% pure uptime.

Guess you'd have to put a stealth console in there to be worse off than the recluse onbard grid
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

In fights with many enemies where your frigates are taking enemy fire, the recluse console allows them to apply stacks of attack pattern beta on more enemies. Given their use of fire at will this is not really a big improvement and you can almost certainly find a more powerful console.

It is not, however, as bad as the temporal destroyer's "suicide console". And it is one of the few ways to improve pet damage, even if it's not a big improvement.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited October 2014

it's cool, and nothing looks like the tholian, it's really cool. and I'm going to keep working with it.

but I'll have to say, I think the kar-fi is much more straightforward and flexible you have both the science and the tactical ability slots, no tradeoffs at all, it's all right there. and a 4th weapon slot up front.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    I hope you kidding. For example the Karfi battlecarrier is one of the bests carriers in the game. Just reading this made me to just stop reading your entire post. Its even better than the jem haddar dreadnought in most situations. Please dude, get a little info first.

To the op, you just need to play around more with the Recluse, as everybody said it is one of the best ships in the game and knowing that there are out there a lot of em, this is something to consider lol.

Nope. Not kidding. Yes the Karfi is good. Personal expereince puts the Recluse above the Karfi - it's open to any faction (Karfi is not), and has a better boff layout and IMO better pets.

Your personal choices may differ, and we can agree to disagree.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    The onboard console can probably help you do some peak damage for 10 seconds every 3 minutes.

But then you gotta compare that to say putting a plasmonic leech or some other damned item in there instead that is constant.

I always laugh at anything with high timers, like when reputation abilities had a 10 min cooldown, I'd laugh and not even put them on my board.

3-5 min auto excludes mostly everything in my opinion when you can have stuff in there with a 100% pure uptime.

Guess you'd have to put a stealth console in there to be worse off than the recluse onbard grid

Worth noting that DR will bring with a general reduction of clickable timers from 3 minutes to 2.

A lot of consoles may be worth a second look with a 2 minute CD.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Good ship, good Boff layout, good frigate pets, but stupid and pointless special console. My Sci toon uses this as primary and Vesta as backup.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.