test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

disappointed with tholian recluse carrier

olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
I have to say, for such an expensive and cool looking ship I'm disappointed with the tholian recluse carrier

I bought the elite mesh weavers, the "frigate" ones where you have 4 pets total. They are pretty unimpressive compared to the kar-fi frigate pets and the aquatic pets. When I play those other two the pets really seem to get some work done, not so with the tholian fighters.

And the "special" attack console doesn't seem to do anything at all. When you hit the special on the aquatic you can really do some damage.

The big problem is that the available bridge officer ability slots are confusing. The tactical slot has one! yes one! ability pretty much requiring you to put a tactical officer in the universal spot. But if you do that you aren't left with enough science and engineering spots to for both offense and defense. I've tried adding in a gravity well or directed energy modulation but end up dying under fire because I'm missing extra defensive abilities like an extra science team or engineering team or hazard thingy.

If you put a science officer in the universal slot then you have kind of a lot of interesting defensive and auxiliary abilities but you are totally gimped offensively.

All I can say is that the shield modifier is decent but useless without enough bridge officer abilities to support it. And the number of console spots is decent.

it would be great if ships were modifiable

like, I would want to downrank the universal slot and add one more ability on the science end.
Post edited by olliereport on

Comments

• sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    One of the best ships in game. Among the highest DPSing ships available, probably the best healer in the game, can become a very nasty debuffer...

i don't think the ship is the problem.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Recluse is amazing, probably one of the best ships I own. It supports well, tanks well and can DPS well depending on the setup. I can't think of the last time I saw the respawn button... Drop the console and torp that came with it though.

I used to run mine as a BFAW boat (Cmdr Tac) but I've switched to a sci spam boat. It doesn't win a DPS race but it's a ton of fun and gets through PvE content faster than some of my other ships. Never underestimate the power of crowd control and warp core breaches to clear mobs.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    One of the best ships in game. Among the highest DPSing ships available, probably the best healer in the game, can become a very nasty debuffer...

i don't think the ship is the problem.

^^ All of this.

And don't forget the Universal Commander station.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Elite Mesh weavers... Nuff said. The recluse is so good, I'll never use it in a 1vs1 PVP fight. It would be cheating. Great ship for anything PVE related also. It's the ship people love to see on their team. :)
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't particularly care for it myself, but only because I tend towards Aux2Batt cruisers and avoid science as much as possible. This ship doesn't lend itself well to that sort of setup, both because of the Boff layout and only having two tac consoles. That said, with an appropriate setup I'd think it could become quite interesting. For example, it's one of the only ships I can think of that can be setup with that many science abilities.

This ship just doesn't seem to be designed to be hitting those big numbers through massive weapons fire. It looks to be setup to be an ideal science ship with pets.

As for special consoles.. they all pretty much suck. I've yet to see one worth keeping.. if you lack access to certain rep consoles, then MAYBE.. but even that's a big maybe.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Putting your ship layout into a link at stoacademy and post around here, you can probably get help. The Recluse is generally considered one of the game's top-5 ships, so its probably more that you're trying to use it in a way that doesn't really suit its strengths.
    edited October 2014
    onerats wrote: »
    This ship just doesn't seem to be designed to be hitting those big numbers through massive weapons fire. It looks to be setup to be an ideal science ship with pets.

it's actually one of the easiest ships to get 30k+ DPS in for a non Romulan toon.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I play one on a Tac (which I'm apparently doing wrong, judging by threads saying it's best to play a Recluse, or for that matter, any Carrier, as a Sci), and haven't found any issues with it. I only ever really die to invisitorps. I personally enjoy the Console it comes with; it's like a free FAW; great when used on GWell'd opponents. I also alternate between a Universal Sci or a Universal Tac depending on mission/queue. Borg STFs excluding Cure usually require a Tac for example, as there's not that many things to GWIII with, and a GWI Sci can manage the occasional Sphere buildup.

The Tetryon setup also makes shield-stripping a breeze, and useful in team-oriented queues/Red Alerts. Of course, one could always swap in their own preferred beam weapons and let the Mesh Weaver pets wear down the shields while you just pile on your preferred beam damage type. I'd hazard that using Nukara Tetryon weapons would make them even more devastating. Still just using Mk XI Polarized Tetryons for the 10% Shield penetration, though I haven't bothered to check if I can upgrade them at all.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I play one on a Tac (which I'm apparently doing wrong, judging by threads saying it's best to play a Recluse, or for that matter, any Carrier, as a Sci), and haven't found any issues with it. I only ever really die to invisitorps. I personally enjoy the Console it comes with; it's like a free FAW; great when used on GWell'd opponents. I also alternate between a Universal Sci or a Universal Tac depending on mission/queue. Borg STFs excluding Cure usually require a Tac for example, as there's not that many things to GWIII with, and a GWI Sci can manage the occasional Sphere buildup.

The Tetryon setup also makes shield-stripping a breeze, and useful in team-oriented queues/Red Alerts. Of course, one could always swap in their own preferred beam weapons and let the Mesh Weaver pets wear down the shields while you just pile on your preferred beam damage type. I'd hazard that using Nukara Tetryon weapons would make them even more devastating. Still just using Mk XI Polarized Tetryons for the 10% Shield penetration, though I haven't bothered to check if I can upgrade them at all.

I've found flying this ship on an engineer has worked very well. I used the commander universal slot for tactical and don't find healing(shields/hull) a problem in the least. IMO you can fly any ship on any class of character if it works for you.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do agree with one thing, the Recluse's console power doesn't seem to do anything at all.
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you don't like it give me it (if you could) I'll take it off your hands =D.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

The Recluse is literally one of the best ships in the game. While only 1 Ensign tac slot, the Universal is a full Commander. And your pets spam APB. Dear God Man - this is a beast. Very few full carriers have a Commander tac seat, let alone a 5th boff.

Fleet Atrox, Karfi, Vo'Quov, Obelisk pale in comparison. Only the Jem Hadar Dreadnaught and the Xinid-Aquatic come close, but at the expense of the Lt.Com Sci seat.

Lt.Com Science? Hello Grav Well. Subsystem Targeting.

The Thermionic Torpedo is a bit of a disposable console, but when it was released, it was 'not bad'.
  • socaltxwa86socaltxwa86 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You need a plasmonic leech console. Fleet Embassy Flow Cap -Th consoles in the Sci console slots. The Embassy consoles make up for a lack of Tac console slots. Engineering slots should be universal consoles if you are trying to maximize dps, so no defensive consoles. Romulan Plasma Beams are the way to go in my opinion.

I have a Recluse and got some pretty good numbers with the gear listed above.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited October 2014
    Fascinating, I would not have expected those replies.

It's interesting to hear that the console & torp perhaps aren't that great, but also that this isn't uncommon

I've played the game for a month and I don't know all the tricks and tips you guys mention, but I'll try to look them up. I don't have any of those special console-attacks for sure.

In general, I've been playing carriers and I've survived withering fire by doubling up on things like tac team, sci team, engin team, and hazard. 2x hazard in particular has been helpful, for borg in particular. I tried playing with less of that stuff to add in some offensive abilites, didn't work out so well.

but

The resounding opinion here is that I'm wrong, I will have to give it more thought.

One thing is true though, it lacks dps, or burst, or w/e, at least compared to the karfi.

I am also noticing that the tholian pets are significantly better in attack mode, vs intercept. Not all pets are like that, the kar-fi frigate pets are really pretty good on intercept, same with aquatic.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Apart from my tac reman flying a scimmy my kdf alien in a recluse is my highest DPS PVE build. And she is a sci.

You are doing it wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The problem with the recluse is that the thing that makes it so good, is something it dose without much fan fair, or indeed, without even the pilot being over aware of.

In a recluse you can be the most valuable player on the team and feel like your bottom of the pack. Why?

The frigate pets.

What makes them so special? Two things, which work in combination.

Attack Pattern Beta 3
    Beam Fire at Will 3

With 4 pets and the recluse itself a single player can apply 5 stacks of the most powerful offensive debuff in the game to everything within a 10km radius.

This is force multiplication at the most extreme end. We are not talking enemies without damage resistance, we are talking enemies with negative damage resistance.

So yes you can feel like bottom of the pack in a recluse, but your the reason the pack is hitting the numbers that they are.

You know those 60k+ DPS scimitars you hear about? Have you ever checked what ships are in the team with them? If they are reporting their DPS as 60K sustained rather then spike, you can bet there is a recluse there with them.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Recluse has the best non-aux2bat-req bridge layouts in the game.
    The toys that come with it suck.
    I would fly it except the frigates with their ridiculous torpedoes are terrible
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

The Recluse is literally one of the best ships in the game. While only 1 Ensign tac slot, the Universal is a full Commander. And your pets spam APB. Dear God Man - this is a beast. Very few full carriers have a Commander tac seat, let alone a 5th boff.

Fleet Atrox, Karfi, Vo'Quov, Obelisk pale in comparison. Only the Jem Hadar Dreadnaught and the Xinid-Aquatic come close, but at the expense of the Lt.Com Sci seat.

Lt.Com Science? Hello Grav Well. Subsystem Targeting.

The Thermionic Torpedo is a bit of a disposable console, but when it was released, it was 'not bad'.

I hope you kidding. For example the Karfi battlecarrier is one of the bests carriers in the game. Just reading this made me to just stop reading your entire post. Its even better than the jem haddar dreadnought in most situations. Please dude, get a little info first.

To the op, you just need to play around more with the Recluse, as everybody said it is one of the best ships in the game and knowing that there are out there a lot of em, this is something to consider lol.
  • askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't own a Recluse but I've had a lot of respect for that ship ever since I saw one in KASE solo the right side and burn down the gateway while the second transformer was still running.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, considering the many threads about the scimitar being a bad ship, it was bound to happen that another top5-ship gets trolled. Either by the desire to troll, or being a bad captain.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Acquired my recluse relatively recently, so not fully versed in its intricacies, but it's a fine ship.

I started using the commander uni for science, and she was a big bad science boat.

However, once I switched it to tac, she began to really pull her weight, DPS wise.

I imagine if I used it for engineering, she'd be a zombie carrier.

Lets her pets do all the work, without being killable.

And I'm doing this with just the advanced frigate pets, nukara rep gear and boxes.

tl;dr, she's a very good ship, but that commander uni position can cause problems at first, as its almost unique.
  • virtualblackmanvirtualblackman Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Apart from my tac reman flying a scimmy my kdf alien in a recluse is my highest DPS PVE build. And she is a sci.

You are doing it wrong.

Would you mind posting your pve build to use as a guide? Im a sci, too and I'm just plain terrible with it....
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would you mind posting your pve build to use as a guide? Im a sci, too and I'm just plain terrible with it....

Though the question wasnt directed to me, this is a solid 20k pug build, 25k+ in a good group with a Sci char: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dpsrecluse_4677

As a recluse, it is pretty much undestructable, though I change to more defensive layout for Hive.

P.S.: Weapons have CrtDx2 Modifiers, Academy seems to be acting up again.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    scrooge69 wrote: »

That's a scary build there. I wouldn't wanna meet up with that thing. Yikes! :eek:
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    scrooge69 wrote: »

That's Porch's build. I recognize it because him and i discussed it and came up with nearly identical builds.

here's mine: Katen Kykotsu 30k+ DPS monstrosity. you can drop the Nukara console for an Iso, a tachyo, or a BIC.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The trick is the elite mesh pets.

They lay down attack pattern beta III and with that just shred everything.

I only got the 1 hangar of them and as a sci captain too and I feel super overpowered for current content.

I use aux2bat, all torpedos and mines including tractor beam mines.

Defensively that means I have one cycle with tac team + epts and then a cycle with hz + tss + polarize hull.

I dont use the ship console since it has a 3 min cooldown and we actually done with the map before it reloads.

Part of that is also being an aux2bat you become an entitled primadonna dont want to sit there and wait for timers

/edit

I only pve so I don't really consider defense a part of the gameplay but I do care some
  • xxxhellspawnyxxxxxxhellspawnyxxx Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • rahadamanthrahadamanth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's Porch's build. I recognize it because him and i discussed it and came up with nearly identical builds.

here's mine: Katen Kykotsu 30k+ DPS monstrosity. you can drop the Nukara console for an Iso, a tachyo, or a BIC.

I'll probably try a variation of that on a single A2B,
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=straightnukara_0
    The OmniAP is a place holder for an Omni Tetryon Ba
    3x techs
    1x Marion
    1X GW aftershock

I may switch out GW for FBP, there's a tad more survivibility in FBP, or run TBR with the Pull Doff, and snag people into the mines, TBR+Pull, and I'd also use standard BA's instead of dual

If I wanted to be an TRIBBLE, EWP1, Nukara Mines, TBR+Pull.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Quick question on your build: what are the flow capacitors modifying? I usually see them on drain builds.