test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Continual Patching (DR preload broken?)

vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This is something that has been happening for maybe a week or so.
On sign in there is a small patch appiled 37xx K or there abouts which runs through smoothly.
On sign out a 3xxx MB patch starts to be applied but flakes out and stops at 1%
It would seem obvious that the big patch has something to do with DR pre-loading but isn't working properly and that's forcing the log in patching.
Post edited by vorga113 on

Comments

• elhajjielhajji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vorga113 wrote: »
    This is something that has been happening for maybe a week or so.
    On sign in there is a small patch appiled 37xx K or there abouts which runs through smoothly.
    On sign out a 3xxx MB patch starts to be applied but flakes out and stops at 1%
    It would seem obvious that the big patch has something to do with DR pre-loading but isn't working properly and that's forcing the log in patching.

I've got the same thing happening to me. When I start up, 3gb patch. When I quit STO it keeps the login console open and restarts downloading the same patch
  • darthhammerdarthhammer Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am having a similar issue.

On launch, I get a 3700sih KB patch, which stops after a few seconds.

After closing STO, the launcher restarts and starts downloading a 3700ish MB patch.

Neither seem to be having any effect in-game however.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dev reply on another thread about the subject
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The "3GB" isn't downloading each time, it's being checked for differences. If it sees a difference, it will download those few MB in changes, and then close again. But it will check every time you leave the game.
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm guessing that that pre-startup and post-finish patches are patching the same thing. So while it should resolve itself next week with the release of DR, there's a week of double patching at every log on, which is just shoddy.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm guessing that that pre-startup and post-finish patches are patching the same thing. So while it should resolve itself next week with the release of DR, there's a week of double patching at every log on, which is just shoddy.

There isn't really anything shoddy about it. They rolled out a 3gb pre patch over a week before the launch... its likely they will be pushing fixes and tweaks to it more then once until DR.

They simply should have communicated it in a much better way... there is no reason the launcher itself can't be letting people know what is happening. The fact that there launcher can't display a simple dev message explaining the nature of the pre patching is the shoddy part. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am having a similar issue.

On launch, I get a 3700sih KB patch, which stops after a few seconds.

After closing STO, the launcher restarts and starts downloading a 3700ish MB patch.

Neither seem to be having any effect in-game however.

Ditto...I would really love a developers thoughts on this.

:eek:
    edited October 2014
    vosoros wrote: »
    Ditto...I would really love a developers thoughts on this.

:eek:

I already posted the "devs thoughts" on this back on post #4
  • bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Erm.. what?? i only patched it once, and the game never asked me to patch it again on log-on or log-out.

The op is having a bug like a temple. Maybe there is something wrong with his hard drive, and the patch is not completing ever because some files cant be patched.

The patch only occurs once. Not every time you log-ing. If the patch occurs more than once, then something wrong is going on..
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Erm.. what?? i only patched it once, and the game never asked me to patch it again on log-on or log-out.

The op is having a bug like a temple. Maybe there is something wrong with his hard drive, and the patch is not completing ever because some files cant be patched.

The patch only occurs once. Not every time you log-ing. If the patch occurs more than once, then something wrong is going on..

No nothing is going on. This happens every time a new Season or Add-On is about to be released. And it's not 3GB. It's 3672KB... 3MB.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    edited October 2014

ermm...yes

There have been lots of people posting about the same issue as the OP, myself included. And a Dev (tacofangs) has already acknowledged that it is working as intended. But because of the way it works there are threads like this popping up because it doesnt seem right.

Should i go back to my first post and enlarge the font size to max?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you signed up for access to Tribble and can patch Tribble (even if you still can't log in) <--- That's the BETTER way to pre-patch for any major STO update; as when the update is released, it will check your Tribble 'Playtest' folder and copy files from there first. I've been doing it that way and have always just quickly terminated/closed the Pre-patcher since they first implemented 'pre-patching' for STO; and have never had an issue on the day a large patch of new content is released to Holodeck.

If you keep Tribble fully patched up whenever they release a new patch to it, pre-patching is a waste of time and your bandwidth.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • adshadowadshadow Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    No nothing is going on. This happens every time a new Season or Add-On is about to be released. And it's not 3GB. It's 3672KB... 3MB.

its updating as i type this and its 3267MB so its definitely not 3MB
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    I already posted the "devs thoughts" on this back on post #4

And yet this thread keeps going on. :P Don't ppl ever read?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg