test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Urgent Message from 7 of 9 ...

maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
Just got an Email from PWE which starts with "greetings captain siska" ... whos that? i dont have any captain with that name. and i dont have a RRW V´rela in my dock either. has PWE something borked up here, or did i miss a detail?

:rolleyes:
U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
"Where we are is the front."
Post edited by maobe on

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just checked after I saw this and mine is adressed to a "captain Jack" from the "USS xEnterprisex" and his first officer "Sukono". Never heard of any of them. :confused:

Sooo WTF? :confused:
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Make sure it's actually from perfect world and not someone cloning their address or doing sublte changes to it. I get that TRIBBLE from battle.net all the time and I am not a member of it.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Interesting. I didn't even check the name, but yes, it's definitely not any of my characters or BOs.

I strongly recommend not to click any links in the e-mail. It may just be a TRIBBLE-up. (the whole message text would have worked a lot better if it had been released at the start of the XP Event, or if the XP Event had happened immediately after the Risa event). It could be an elaborate phishing attempt. (But I honestly think TRIBBLE-up is more likely here. Or could I be wrong? Reading the poster on WoW/Battle.net's problem....)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It smells like a phishing scam to me. I've seen it way too many times.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah not using one of those links is a no-brainer but the adress says email@email.perfectworld.com so that seems legit. Looks like one giant **** up on their side.:confused:
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nothing has been sent to my email from PWE. I would suggest changing your passwords ASAP.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Got one as well. I guess 7of9 messed up something in the database they used to send out these mails. The mail seems to be aimed at inactive captains to make them aware of the upcoming expansion.

The mail looks official and the links/mail all point to PWE even though i didn't click on anything. If that is a scam, PWE has a big security problem.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I got the email as well, even in a localized (German) version, so I guess it is official, yet of course I was adressed with some random name and ship. I still wouldn't click anything in the email as there is absolutely no need to do that, though.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    100% phishing scam. Just don't click on any link within it!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Any mention of Ambassador Nigerian Prince and his mission for large sums of EC?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Shhh!! That's DR spoilers!
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    if you know where the option is, I would do a 'show original' of the email and look really closely, just because the return address says that its email.perfectworld, I can tell you that field is easy enough to fake. Like everyone else is saying, dont use any of the links in the email, if you feel that you have a need to change anything about your account, go into the web interface itself and do it.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah not using one of those links is a no-brainer but the adress says email@email.perfectworld.com so that seems legit. Looks like one giant **** up on their side.:confused:

If you give me your email, I can send you a email from yourself, confirming that you owe me 1,000,000 USD... I don't even need your login... heck, I don't even need a email account... Just the []name@domain.tld[]

What's important is the header information... not
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    maobe wrote: »
    Just got an Email from PWE which starts with "greetings captain siska" ... whos that? i dont have any captain with that name. and i dont have a RRW V´rela in my dock either. has PWE something borked up here, or did i miss a detail?

:rolleyes:

It's a Trap!

That is all.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No phising. No link at the mail refers to any other server than to perfectworld.com. No hidden images or links.

Somebody simply messed up some data.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    Nothing has been sent to my email from PWE. I would suggest changing your passwords ASAP.

neither of us got one either, I agree change yer passwords
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neither of us got one either, I agree change yer passwords

Sounds like it's a newsletter... I blocked them when PWE took over, and they started spamming, so I havn't seen it myself...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    only time i get an email from the game is a new machine access code to verify and its always donotreply at crypticstudios.com. i would imagine the newsletter is from @crypticstudios.com as well.

i would of reported the email if i had ever gotten one straight away based on that logic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seven of Nine is hanging out with her friend Prince, from the Nigerian colony ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Question to all those that received one of these mails: Did you recently post on any media site connected to PWE/ARC?

It has been known that some 'unscrupulous' individuals look for media triggers (multi posts with common tag.) and attempt to fish the posters.

A long shot, but one that has borne fruit in the past.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Question to all those that received one of these mails: Did you recently post on any media site connected to PWE/ARC?

It has been known that some 'unscrupulous' individuals look for media triggers (multi posts with common tag.) and attempt to fish the posters.

and you wonder why i call em social trollworking sites! i never use em and dont see the point, if its the case these indiviuals go through the trollworking sites exclusively, the rest of us who just use the forum should be safe from it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »

Nope didn't post on any media site. The only time i used that mail with anything PWE related was when i signed up years ago.

I just checked the entire header and the mail is from email@email.perfectworld.com, all pictures of the mail are hosted on perfectworld.com and my mail adress gives no hint that i am German yet i received the mail in German.

Like i said earlier, this seems like the typical reminder MMO's send out to inactive players before they release big updates and whoever was responsible for the mailing simply messed up the list that contained the e-mail and captain names.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2014
    This was no scam, just poorly executed.

It was damn late and not telling news and it obviously messed up database queries.

My first officer was wrong, for a buddy the Captain's name was totally wrong, not even one of his alt chars or officers, it was quite a mess.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Seven of Nine is hanging out with her friend Prince, from the Nigerian colony ;)

Both hanging out at the UK Lottery winnings disbursement center (with $5K USD in hand to cover the UK lottery winnings disbursement requirement.):D;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."