test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DPS Help

sausinatorrsausinatorr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Academy
Heyo guys, in the need of some advice on how to increase my DPS. These days I'm using a Mobius which with I get a DPS of 4372 (according to combatlog- loadout below), and every time I see someone getting 18000-29000 my mouth just begins to water and I just think "HOWW???"

I know there are some guides out there, but I'd rather prefer some newer techniques compared to good ol' 2012. This loadout would be for PVE mostly. Once in a while I while I hear something about the god made A2B but I have no idea whatever that is.

Loadout-

Temporal Destroyer (Fed)

Weapons:

Fore-

3x Fleet Antiproton Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Dmgx3] [CrtD] I hear [Acc] is much better than dmg. Is this true?
1x Fleet Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [Dmgx3] [CrtD]

Aft-

3x Fleet Antiproton Turrets Mk XII [Dmgx3] [CrtD] (Saving up for a kinetic cutting beam to replace one)

Components (Haven't invested in anything major since I never knew what would be the best option for me)

Deflector: Positron Deflector Array Mk XII [InC] [Gra]

Engines: Elite Fleet Effecient Combat Engines Mk XII [Turnx2] [Spd] [Pow]

Shield: Aegis (had this laying around, though I refrained from saving up for the set since I hear there are better options)

Warp Core: Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core

Devices: Subspace Field Modulator (Don't have the red matter capacitor)

Engineering Consoles:

Booster Modulator Mk XII (Rare)

Assimilated Module

Science Consoles:

4x Field Generators Mk XII (Rare, overkill I know lol)

Tactical Consoles:

4x Antiproton mag Regulator (Rare), currently saving up for fleet consoles

Bridge officers:

Lt Commander Universal (Science):Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Gravity Well 1

Lieutenant Universal (Science): Science Team 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2

Commander Tactical: Tac Team 1,Scatter Volley 1,Attack Pattern Beta 2,Cannon: Rapid Fire III

Lieutenant Tactical: Tac Team 1, Torpedo: Spread 2

Duty officers: None cause I have no idea what I'm doing

Please help me!

Thanks! :D
Post edited by sausinatorr on

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Every mod is better than damage. In general, and with a huge grain of salt because builds differ, acc it best then crit hit then crit damage and then damage is better than nothing but not by much.

There are two reasons. Damage as a weapon mod is currently bugged (per arbiter hawk) and it doesn't scale with level properly so at max level you aren't getting as much benefit from it as the devs intend. There is a post where he said they are working to fix this. But no eta.

The second reason is that accuracy becomes critical hit once you have lots of it. Obviously if you have a weapon that deals a million damage but always misses it is worthless. So your total damage over time (DPs = damage divided by number of seconds you spent fighting) can be hurt a lot by misses. Once you have a 100% chance to hit, though, all the extra accuracy isn't wasted instead it becomes chance to crit. Meaning the acc mod does everything the crithit mod does and more. Crit damage only does anything at all if you crit. And damage is bugged.

Therefore acc is the mod highest in demand in general.

There's a lot more complexity, but that's the basics.

One thing I can say, you're running antiproton's but you don't seem to have much chance to crit. You might want to swap for disruptors, plasma or romulan plasma if you aren't running a high chance to crit. The bonus that antiproton's provide is a boost to critical hit damage, so just like the critd mod, if you don't crit you aren't getting anything from it. Alternatively pick up more consoles that boost your crit chance and maybe swap one trans shield str for a tractorbeam (stopped ships have zero defense, thus your acc all become crit hit%).

Going into delta rising, it seems the most impressive builds are all focused on particle damage. So stacking gravity well, tractor beam repulsers, aceton beam, eject warp plasma, etc with bonus particle consoles and attack
    Patterns (beta gives -res to the target and both alpha and omega give +damage to you). Guns are not the primary source of high damage numbers for most sci ships in delta rising from what I've seen on tribble. A big advantage to particle builds is they mostly ignore shields and Borg and vaadwar and voth all have lots of shields on their ships.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Damage specs for space weapons should be viewed in a battle not outside the solar system or sector space. ACC and Critical (anything) is second. But the ACCx2 or even ACCx3 is a must! Oh yeah DoT if you see that get those too. ACC, CS, CC, DoT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Therefore acc is the mod highest in demand in general.

crth is better for pve. the reason why most high dps ppl use acc, because many wanted to keep the pvp window open for themselves. if you never ever want to pvp, ctrh is better for dps

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @gavinruneblade Thanks for the detailed explanation! Would you recommend any consoles in particular if I were to stick with AP?
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited September 2014

There are no traits or skills in that build. sorry can't help you.
  • Options
    bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Damage specs for space weapons should be viewed in a battle not outside the solar system or sector space. ACC and Critical (anything) is second. But the ACCx2 or even ACCx3 is a must! Oh yeah DoT if you see that get those too. ACC, CS, CC, DoT.

Not "should", it is a must. The only way to see your real stats is in combat.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @sarcasmdetector There aren't? Re-did it, should work now.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    @sarcasmdetector There aren't? Re-did it, should work now.

Since you don't have an account on the STO Academy, you re-saving will create a new link. post that new link please.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just eyeballing without having a full Skillplanner build to go off of, and in addition to the other points mentioned...

The Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Array does more damage than a turret, and if you choose to continue using the Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core will provide a further bonus to Antiproton damage as a 2-piece set bonus.

You could also check out the Fleet Warp Cores; the dual power bonus and [Amp] are rather nice additions to pretty much any build; the Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Array would still likely outperform a turret, even without the set bonus, and you can use a crafted Omni since you won't get the set bonus anyway.

You have a Booster Modulator for Aux power... any Engineering console that provides bonus power will be less effective overall than one of the Universal Rep consoles, such as the Hydrodynamics Compensator, Nukara Particle Converter, Proton Particle Stabilizer, or Zero-Point Energy Conduit. Pick one or more of those that provides the power bonus you want, and gain additional bonuses and a potential set bonus as well.

Oh, never mind, you got sarcasmdetector's attention while I was typing/linking... a good source of build and theory info, that one. I think I'll stop with those general comments and let you get more tailored info from there.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @sarcasmdetector *Sorry for the late reply* Ahhh, I thought it autosaved. Well, here it is http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=sausinatorbuild_0

Also, if either the traits or skill selections are really horrible, I can afford one of those reset options. My character race is vulcan.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @breadandcircuses Wow, you're right there with the consoles. I'll consider the omni for sure, but for now if sarcasm is willing to help me further then I'll be taking his advice. Thanks anyways :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @breadandcircuses Wow, you're right there with the consoles. I'll consider the omni for sure, but for now if sarcasm is willing to help me further then I'll be taking his advice. Thanks anyways :D

Sarcasm's advice is always good.

Also here's a link to some people talking about science ship builds in delta rising
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1229421

The builds and power discussions start on pages 5&6.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=trythisone_0

Take a look at that build.

Try using the 2 piece Borg set, with the Obelisk Core and The MACO shield. Replacing one of the turrets with the Omni-Directional beam will give you +10% boost to Antiproton damage when paired with with Obelisk Core.

Field Generators don't stack well so you get little benefit by equipping more than one, instead fill those slots with Power Generators, you'll get a better return in investment that way.

Replace the Field Emitter with the the Tachyokinetic Converter, it will benefit Gravity Well, increase your turn rate, and increase your crits. It's an ideal console for this build.

Not sure if you have access to the fleet consoles, if not stick to the traditional versions until you can upgrade.

I adjusted your skill tree to take advantage of your skills.

Good luck.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @startrekron Wow! This seems pretty realistic, and I really appreciate you going through the trouble of making that :D I do have access to all fleet items, so that isn't much of an issue. There are a couple of things I'm wondering about though; first of all, isn't 3 particle generators a bit too much? It just seems a little overkill for only 1 ability. Secondly, would having a fleet neutronium be beneficial to me in any way or is it just for pvp? Finally, if I could get my hands on one, would the tippler cylinder be good for survival?
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Going into delta rising, it seems the most impressive builds are all focused on particle damage.

what is the basis on that? I would love to read up on that, but I could not find anything on a quick search :(

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    what is the basis on that? I would love to read up on that, but I could not find anything on a quick search :(

For starters look at the link in post 15 in this very thread. Then track down some of the discussions of science ships tak8ng out cubes in cure without popping the probes first. Then check the current thread about science ships being too weak that got turned on its head.