test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to upgrade ship/gear to enjoy content

equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
From Cryptics own mouth:

"The Battle of Korfez: The first phase of this mission is hard. It is intended to cause Captains who aren’t good enough or who have weak gear to fail"

So I guess all those people who keep saying we dont need to upgrade anything in order to enjoy delta rising content are wrong?

You will not even be allowed to PROGRESS on this mission if you do not have the 'right' (upgraded} equipment.
Post edited by equinox976 on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Enjoy is such a subjective word...and...not likely what anybody said but you.

Experience on the other hand, which would include both success and failure...fits more what folks have said, no?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    You will not even be allowed to PROGRESS on this mission if you do not have the 'right' (upgraded} equipment.

It's a queue. No, if you do not have the combination of gear and ability to do the rest of the what's coming, then rather than wasting everybody's time - they pull the plug early. More stuff should be like that...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Enjoy is such a subjective word...and...not likely what anybody said but you.

Experience on the other hand, which would include both success and failure...fits more what folks have said, no?

You will not be able to experience this content (progress to next part of it) without 'good' equipment.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7007883-the-battle-of-korfez
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    More stuff should be like that...

Im sure the bean counters would like that. It may be a que, but its still content.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You will not be able to experience this content (progress to next part of it) without 'good' equipment.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7007883-the-battle-of-korfez

Failing is experiencing. Some learn from failure.

Some flood the forums with tears.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Why would you play delta rising and not fit any of the MKXIII and MKXIV drops that are going to happen? Upgrading gear will not be the only way of getting new gear. There will be loot drops and eventually rep gear that is MKXIV.

The upgrade facility is there for the players that have invested a lot of time into gear and want to keep some things (like rep sets). Same for the ships with T5U. You'll still get gear drops and can fit your ship out with MKXIII or XIV by just playing. Granted they're not all going to be purple quality, but give it time. :).

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Failing is experiencing. Some learn from failure.

Some flood the forums with tears.

I don't think this is about failing, its about the fact that those willing to pay for the best equipment will be given preference to progress through this content, those with 'poor'(standard) equipment are not likely to make it to the next 'pool', as they will not have as much dps output, this is less about tactics and more about paying to win.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I will say that i had hoped that there would be an easy and advanced version but this is one PvE queue only out of the whole expansion. You are not restricted from entering, it just probably wont be a good idea to turn up without being well kitted out.

that being said, ultra violet mark 12, skill, experience and a good team backing up up will probably still get you through it. you just should not be going anywhere near this with mk 11's, or blues, or pugging etc

you can also upgrade gear for in game resources. you dont have to spend money if you dont want to. your equipment itself is not obsolete as you can still improve it.

there are also a couple of free ships in the game that are getting the free upgrade like the winter or summer ship.

and to be blunt, i know some people dont want to pay any money, but if they cant spend 10$ or whatever to upgrade a ship, then im not sure i care if they are going to find one single mission out of their reach.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133

"Second, all existing content, all new story content, patrols and most queues will not require a Tier 6 or Upgraded Tier 5 starship."

Is what they said back on August 27th...over a month ago. It's what folks have been talking about for that month.

It's no different than if you want to do Rom content, you need a Rom toon. KDF content? KDF toon. Fed content? Fed toon. Want to do level 50 content? Need a level 50. If you want to do the Elite stuff, then you're going to need to do some stuff to be able to do that.

Me? Lol, even if I had everything - I wouldn't be going anywhere near it, cause I don't play at that level. I fly around going wheeeee...

...but I think it's awesome that Cryptic is providing something for those folks who do play at that level.

I'm not going to whine that I don't get to play it.

edit: Not saying you are whining, just saying that I wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't think this is about failing, its about the fact that those willing to pay for the best equipment will be given preference to progress through this content, those with 'poor'(standard) equipment are not likely to make it to the next 'pool', as they will not have as much dps output, this is less about tactics and more about paying to win.

It's not paying to win...it might be paying to play, if that...you still need to know how to play to get anywhere. Like I said in my last post, I could show up for it in a FT6 with all Gold and I'm still going to be a weak link on any team that should be trying to tackle the content.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Before Fleet Holding ships, we did elites in VA C-Store ships and even crashed through them in RA gimme ships. We ran ground in Jem'Hadar mission drop armor (or worse) and slogged our way to the bosses. We did this praying the RNG gods would grace us with a item token drop. You didn't know if you would have a full set in one weeked or in one month or ever at all. You might still have to slog in underpar gear at first but you pretty much know when you will have your rep tier to get your gear. The only way you won't have it is if you don't invest in the gated grind, not because Lady Luck didn't smile upon you. The resourceful will find a way to slog through these as well.

EDIT: Besides, Advanced is the Elite we are used to. Advanced is probably good enough for me unless they have some very good new stuff to pray to the RNG gods to have fall into your hands though I will bet future content will have a gated grind just like we have now.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Pay to win? That statement is only used when you need to pay real money in order to do good in the game. That is not the case, you will need to get better equipment, but you only need to use in game currency. That is not considered pay to win, thats called progression. As the game gets harder you need to equip yourself appropriately. Its like saying that not being able to take on a Borg cube in a T1 Miranda is pay to win.
    edited September 2014
    From Cryptics own mouth:

"The Battle of Korfez: The first phase of this mission is hard. It is intended to cause Captains who aren’t good enough or who have weak gear to fail"

So I guess all those people who keep saying we dont need to upgrade anything in order to enjoy delta rising content are wrong?

Can be interpreted in many ways because "good enough" and "weak gear" is subjective especially without any other information.

I will assume "good enough" refers to one's own ability to pilot one's own ship. Flying a ship into combat is more than just spamming the spacebar.

"Weak Gear" is also pretty subjective. What is "weak gear"? Is everything below very rare Mk XIV? Or could it be everything below rare Mk XI?

Need more info before...
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This mission sounds fun i will be looking forward to trying it out pity it will be a few mths down the line, once ive grinded the right stuff
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Meh, I very much doubt I will ever attempt it, along with all the other Adv and Elite queues.

Not really worried if it takes me a year to upgrade, i'll still enjoy my free T6 ships. :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited September 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Can be interpreted in many ways because "good enough" and "weak gear" is subjective especially without any other information.

I will assume "good enough" refers to one's own ability to pilot one's own ship. Flying a ship into combat is more than just spamming the spacebar.

"Weak Gear" is also pretty subjective. What is "weak gear"? Is everything below very rare Mk XIV? Or could it be everything below rare Mk XI?

Need more info before...

It's likely going to be the standard that we already see, no? A combination of the two - and thus - it's not hard coded.

You could have five folks with "weak" gear that can do better than five folks with "good" gear because of their ability. The starting part of that queue...is where they've given folks of various gearing/ability to see if they can progress rather than just putting in some form of gear score requirement, etc, etc, etc.

Rather than including some form of artificial test, gear score - accolade - etc, etc, etc - that could be gamed, they've included the actual test to progress in the queue in the queue itself.

If you can do this, you might be able to do this.
    If you can't do this, you can't do this.

So you have the opportunity to fail early instead of having the likely guaranteed failure later.

I think it's pretty awesome, and that's why I wish more things were designed like that. Putting the test for the content in the content...early.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133

"Second, all existing content, all new story content, patrols and most queues will not require a Tier 6 or Upgraded Tier 5 starship."

Is what they said back on August 27th...over a month ago. It's what folks have been talking about for that month.

It's no different than if you want to do Rom content, you need a Rom toon. KDF content? KDF toon. Fed content? Fed toon. Want to do level 50 content? Need a level 50. If you want to do the Elite stuff, then you're going to need to do some stuff to be able to do that.

Me? Lol, even if I had everything - I wouldn't be going anywhere near it, cause I don't play at that level. I fly around going wheeeee...

...but I think it's awesome that Cryptic is providing something for those folks who do play at that level.

I'm not going to whine that I don't get to play it.

edit: Not saying you are whining, just saying that I wouldn't.

^^^This^^^^. I too am a casual player. I will probably upgrade the ship my toon uses the most to a T5-U at some point, but have no plans to purchase any T6. I was on tribble last night during the holodeck downtime and was fine playing the regular story content on mk XII gear and a t5 akirac with no problems. You won't need the best of the best to play the regular stuff. First Cryptic wouldn't do that because they want the casual gamer as much as the elite. I too will not even touch elite. I don't have the time or skill to outfit my ship or skills to that level. I will play the advanced ques which are now the current elite or in Delta, the regular que until I know what I'm doing and what is required. I don't live and die by this game or its queues though. I play for fun, not accolades, so if they gate some content so be it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From Cryptics own mouth:

No.

One-hundred per-cent wrong.

I doubt your statement because of one thing - the shear stupidity and ignorance of the players in this game since LoR.

Case in point. The STF's used to be the most challenging content in this game before LoR release when things went to hell with power creep and a huge influx of players who had no idea how to play the game. They were immediatly gifted with a faction with huge power boosts, instant get away scott-free abilities and a play design that encouraged selfish, solo-based thinking.

And in those STF's there used to be a day where *nobody* in ISE would dare drop a Transformer without checking with the others. Everyone knew the "10% rule". After LoR - TRIBBLE it. Just kill everything as fast as possible.

Once upon a time in KSE you had people specifically guarding the Gates. Now after LoR people get as far away from them as possible - on the OPPOSITE side from where the probes are going. It's someone else's problem. Not mine.

Before LoR in Cure Space you actually coordinated your Cube kills. Now nobody ever talks to one another. They just chug on through. Five minutes easy peasy. It's the only remaining STF with an instant fail mechanic so at least people pretend to guard the Kang. But if you haven't dropped your cube before the second BoP spawn, just hang on because the others are finishing their's already.

And even before this - WAY back in year one when the Borg STF's were originally released they were absolute nightmares of one-two hour gameplay where newbies didn't DARE do them without other experienced players because you WERE going to fail if you didn't know what you were doing and were not geared up with some basic freebie stuff.

Now - nobody cares any more. Romulan power creep has destroyed team play. People design selfish starship builds. People don't cross-heal. People don't even *try* to learn to team-play. And I know exactly why - why bother? It's of no benefit to them to learn to work together.

Once upon a time you didn't need elite fleet gear or pay-to-win Scimitards to play the hardest content in the game. You just needed people who understood the game mechanics and were willing to work together. I still can rock the STF's with blue Mk-XI stuff - may not make any land speed records but I know how to defend my ship, my teammates and I know what to focus on first.

Your focus on *gear* is typical of the playstyle that has dominated since LoR. I don't' blame these poor people who've been fooled by Cryptic's bad decisions to jack up power creep to insane levels. But it looks like that day of the Scimitard may be finally coming to an end. I dont' mean this with spite or malice to anyone but it's time to "Learn to Play".

So, if they're bringing back content that requires the same basic knowledge of the game and necessity of basic teamwork, then I say *good* and *bring it on*!

I'll be there with Extend Shields and Hazard Emitters at the ready.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This may sound a little crazy but I WANT Delta to be hard. Right now I could do all 3 borg STFs one handed and without...Gasp.....A2B. The game needs a little challenge. Wait a second didn't I read somewhere that they added 3 difficultys to the game. If you played it on easy and got your TRIBBLE handed to you. Oh...Man ., I can't wait !!!!!!!!! Now, if they would only add more dying animations to your ship being destroyed.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Actually I think Mk XII gear will be more than adequate for all but Elite queues.

A ship upgrade, I would definitely buy. But gear, there's much less need.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    I am working on saving up enough to retrofit at least on ship for each toon. My efforts will result in me having the right ship, but not the right gear.
    I play in an almost elite only environment, so because the new upgrade system is far too overpriced, I think you folks can connect the dots...
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmmm. It's not about "Learn to Play" so much as "Run Through This Maze Until You Can Do it Blindfolded". Even rats and mice can beat an STF if they just do it enough.

Let's face it, these new "Elite Super-Duper, Really Difficult Content" STFs will be rolled once people learn the routine.

If you really want challenging content in STFs, make the events random. For example, suppose the 10th wave in the No Win Scenario showed up first ; all BOPs in Cure Space spawned at one cube? Now THAT would make things a bit more challenging for all STFs, from normal to advanced.

It's probably beyond the capabilities of this program, however.

Carry on, cookie cutting. :)

*Oh, look! 50 posts! Guess I'm not a real Elite Forumite* :)
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh no, higher level content that requires gear upgrades? Is this your first time playing an MMORPG?
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Oh no, higher level content that requires gear upgrades? Is this your first time playing an MMORPG?

Allow me to emphasize: We need gear upgrades, but some of us cannot afford gear upgrades.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Actually I think Mk XII gear will be more than adequate for all but Elite queues.

A ship upgrade, I would definitely buy. But gear, there's much less need.

Certainly. I'm still not convinced that elite will be super tough, I wouldn't be surprised if you can perform reasonably in 'new' elite with MK XII gear too. Cryptic say they'll stick by there guns on this one, but I'll believe it once the tears start flooding in but nothing changes as a result.

You'd probably just get yelled at by the odd nutter because you aren't blasting through the mission within 5 mins or whatever.
  • Options
    bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im lost. So, there will be a "requirement" talking about MKXIII or MKXIV to be able to enter DR content?? because if not, i dont understand the complain of the op. One thing is that cryptic said it will be really hard for players that are not carrying the most expensive and powerful weapon, but i can imagine that with a good team, any mkII gear will sufice. Of course you will not be able to do it alone, so the team play will be the key for those people.

Nobody is forcing you to equip DR equipment, of course, people with a lot of money to waste will do it, because people who can afford everything in STO (because they have a lot of money) cant resist to adquire the best of the best, or they are not going to feel happy with emlselvs.
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    Allow me to emphasize: We need gear upgrades, but some of us cannot afford gear upgrades.

Afford... what exactly? You can refine 8k Dil a day and you can craft several upgrade kits using common materials, and that is all you need to do gear upgrades. Money doesn't really come into it, unless you need to have everything NOW.
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014

About time someone else said it! :(
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From Cryptics own mouth:

we have had an easy time of it with sto to be fair, theres not many of us who cant make it through even the hardest missions relatively unscathed, maybe its about time we got our rear ends kicked once in a while, it might make us buck our ideas up and start trying to work as a team and find out the best strategy to beat the thing.
    sure it helps if you have the best weapons but you will likely find you will pick up much of that as you play the story missions and easyer levels of end game content.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.