test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, it is 2XXX...

cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Ten Forward
...and humanity has launched six starships to go boldly where no man has gone before.

What would you call them, and why?

(2XXX - fill numbers according to your own interpretation of when we could be out there)
Post edited by cbrjwrr on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Don't know when... but there's gotta be an Enterprise out there. :cool:
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't know when... but there's gotta be an Enterprise out there. :cool:
    In an attempt to drum up support for his continuing experiments to test the modified Alcubierre theory, Dr. Harold White commissioned some really cool artwork depicting what an Alcubierre-White craft might look like.

The name on the prow? IXS Enterprise.

Yeah, that's definitely going to be the name of one of the first starships, if we ever find a way around relativity...

So:
    Enterprise
    Gagarin
    Armstrong
    Young
    Tereshkova

Reserving the sixth name for the first Chinese astronaut (actually launched into space from China, not hitching a ride with someone else).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I created this list decades ago based on the idea that "Enterprise" and "Intrepid" are noble attributes... so:

Enterprise
    Intrepid
    Valiant
    Reliant
    Explorer
    Pioneer

:D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd guess the year 2100-2150. The ships' names:

Enterprise
    Columbia
    Challenger
    Discovery
    Atlantis
    Endeavour

After the six NASA Space Shuttle Orbiters.

Consequently, this was the naming convention for the NX-Class, according to Memory Beta.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    around 2090

Named for the people who went where no man had gone before first :)

Gagarin ( First man in space )

Armstrong (First man on the moon )

Shepard (First american in space)

Aldrin (Second man on the moon)

Tereshkova ( Named for Valentina Tereshkova first woman in space)
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    UNSS Defiant
    UNSS Repulse
    UNSS Stonewall
    UNSS Rampart
    UNSS Defender
    UNSS Avenger

Our last hope at stopping the alien menace.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Wouldn't that be the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn? :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn? :D
    Well, it sure as hell wasn't UNSC Pillar of Autumn...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Or the UNSC Spirit of Fire.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My wild guess is approximately 4000-5000 C.E. or later. I seriously doubt humanity will become a starfaring race within this millennium, but perhaps we'll have Mars colonised or terraformed in the next 1000 years.

I don't know what the ships' names will be because the people responsible for the discovery of the principles, theories and technology behind them aren't born yet. Not to belittle the accomplishments of those people who have already taken the first tiny steps towards space exploration, but their contributions will be dwarfed by what may yet come (if the human race survives). In addition, I don't know what the languages of the world will be like in 2000-3000 years hence.

For fun, I'll just say "Holtzman" and "Cenva" :)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It is amazing how much progress was done in the 20th Century. We went from Horse and Carriage to putting a man on the moon. It just takes a brilliant person with vision to change the world and Star Trek is evidence as proved by Gene Roddenberry and the number of technologies accredited to Star Trek and Cochrane creating Warp Travel. The only thing preventing Interstellar Travel right now is necessity. Humanity was able to put a man on the moon because of the huge national drive of the American to proves themselves against the USSR in the 1960s. Obviously it is a really shallow reason to go to the moon when there are far better reasons, but it is that same drive that will get us to the stars and far sooner than some of us think.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't think you quite fathom just how huge space is nor the enormous requirements or dangers of space travel. All of the advancements made in the entirety of human history are insignificant compared to the knowledge and technology required to travel interstellar.

Unless someone invents a spacefold drive or some other exotic propulsion that sidesteps general relativity, we aren't going anywhere. With current technology, our fastest (unmanned) spacecraft travel at roughly 20km/s. At that speed, sustained, it would take around 64,494 years to reach Proxima Centauri, the next closest star to us. A ship travelling at that rate would need enough fuel, oxygen and supplies to support 2,149 generations of human beings and if anything goes wrong during the long trip, everyone aboard dies.

There is nothing wrong with having hope for the future so long as it's tempered with reality.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Given on how much Star Trek is actually affecting Space Travel right now, and the beginnings of commercialization of space travel, I imagine a lot of people will use space-sounding names to promote their craft or line.

First six ships:
    Enterprise - that's a given
    Constellation
    Stargazer
    Pioneer
    Voyager
    Altair
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014

UNOOSA Columbus
    UNOOSA Armstrong
    UNOOSA Zheng He
    UNOOSA Hillary
    UNOOSA Gagarin
    UNOOSA Battuta
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited September 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    ...and humanity has launched six starships...

Not picking up on something here...why six?

Hmm...

The Liberty
    The Bretonia
    The Reinland
    The Kusari
    The Hispania
    ;)
    and The Enterprise
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Hmm...

The Liberty
    The Bretonia
    The Reinland
    The Kusari
    The Hispania
    ;)
    and The Enterprise

Six?

Simple. Large enough number that you have a variety of choices and so, aren't forced to pick between them, but small enough that each ship retains it's significance.

(But I would keep the Liberty, but on slightly different grounds than it being a ship in Freelancer. :) )
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    U.T.S.: Stands for United Terran Starship.

The year: 2097 (I might live to see that, so yeah)

The names

U.T.S. Aurelius
    U.T.S. Augustus
    U.T.S. Titus
    U.T.S. Traianus
    U.T.S. Claudius
    U.T.S. Constantinus

And why Roman Emperors? Well, they are way enough in the past to not upset anyone that "his country got picked and not mine", they are all in a language that only science and religion uses these days, the emperors I picked have been "good" emperors, investing in infrastructure as well as expanding the Empire (Titus not during his reign, but before) and you gotta admit, these names sound fun (I fly an U.S.S Aurelius in STO, great ship).
  • Options
    apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Hmm...

The Liberty
    The Bretonia
    The Reinland
    The Kusari
    The Hispania
    ;)
    and The Enterprise

Took the words right out of my mouth, if you replace Enterprise with Normandy :D