test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tailor me Head to Toe!

tragamitestragamites Member Posts: 424 Arc User
I think there needs to be a few tweeks made to the costume/character design.

Currently there are 3 areas to customize a toon, Head, body and Uniform. I think head should be changed to appearance.

The first characteristics you look at are racial features, not simply the head. So with this you could completely design the head to toe appearance of your character. I'd also suggest in this tab and the Body tab that the toon be in skivies to better identify the shapes you are giving your toon.

Appearance would include what is currently offered plus the hand options of claws or long nails and such and minus any artificial parts. (Borg and Android parts are acceptable. This is the baseline appearance of your toon. All options should show even if "none" is the only available selection.

Race Selection
Race Classifications
Racial Class: (Based on alien selection) Humanoid, Feline, Insectiod, Reptilian, etc.
Head: Humanoid, Ridged, Duallobes, Flat, Pointed, etc
Hair: As we have now+
Forehead Detail: As we have now+
Nose: As we have now+
Ears: As we have now+
Eyebrows: As we have now+
Eyes: As we have now+
Mouth: Any feature above the chin, i.e. mustache
Chin: Any fearture below the mouth, i.e. beard
Skin Texture: Scales, Fur, Spots etc.
Neck: Any feature pertaining directly to the neck, i.e. serpentine, Cardassian, etc.
Torso: Any feature pertaining to the torso, i.e. wings, spine plate/spikes, etc.
Arms: Any feature pertaining to the arms, i.e. wings, tenticals, etc.
Hands: Any feature pertaining to the hands, i.e. bony, claws, long nails, tenticals, etc.
Legs: Any feature pertaining to the legs, i.e. insectoid, feline, w-w/o tail
Feet: Any feature pertaining to the feet, i.e. insectoid, clawed, hooved, etc.

Sizing yourself
Body is all the slider bars. Your physik and stature. As opposed to racial characteristics these are your physical features.
Head: cranium, forehead, skull height, etc.
Neck: length, width, etc.
Eyes: height, size, depth, width
Ears: length, height, etc.
Nose: length, height, width, nostril height, width, etc.
Mouth: portrusion, width, cheek, chin, etc.
Upper body: shoulder width, bulk, height, torso(TRIBBLE) width, bulk, height, arms length, bulk, stomach width, bulk, height, etc.
Lower body: hips width, bulk, legs length, bulk, etc.
Feet: length, width, height, etc.
Optionals: tattoos and scars.

Uniforms
Uniform is just that, head to toe, the clothing you are wearing. All options should show even if "none" is the only available selection.
Head: hoods, hair pieces, hats and helmets.
Eyes: Visors, glasses, eye patches and things that cover your eyes.
Ears: earrings, ear pieces
Face: Masks
Neck: scarfs, necklaces, armorings and collars
Shoulder(s): shoulder pieces, including capes
Top: the actual shirt piece.
Jacket: any special overshirt option
Chest: wraps, straps and anything that is worn on top of the "top."
Back: anything specific to the back not related to chest or shoulder items.
Arms: straps and the like
Wrists: straps, bracers, bracelets and the like
Hands: gloves, rings and the like
Waist: belts and waist wraps
Lower: pants and skirts
Legs: straps, garters, stockings
Ankles: straps, anklets and stocking or socks
Feet: footwear if any
Badges, Patches and Accessories all extra touches

All options could be tied to other selections what can be with what.

Additionally, stances should be an option you can select outside the tailor. Put the option on the character sheet or in the selector where you change outfits.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by tragamites on

Comments

• tragamitestragamites Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Anyone else with ideas here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    I think with the sliders on the body they should use an xyz format instead of just an x axis.

So with the head for instance you would have the center point and the 3 sliders would be set at center for a normal head size. Slider x makes the head fatter or thinner. Slider y makes the head longer or shorter. Slider z makes the head taller or smaller. So adjusting all the sliders to max would make a balloon head while setting them all to min would give a shrunken head effect.

This can be put in place for every point on the body. It would be significantly restricted for set races and grant more freedom to customize on an alien.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree with this. The Character creator Cryptic built for their games is phenomenal, yet we're being limited to all the great options. Just giving us the options from champions online would allow us to make much more realistic humans based on having more sliders to fine tune, or being able to mix and match more parts than the alien generator allows us to do currently.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think their character creator is pretty good, and doubt their system could get even more specific. However, that said, I would like a cheek bone modifier so we can make a thinner or fatter face.

Also, would love more alien options like beaks, tails, and claws so we get more alien aliens. I know that it has some what this capability when we had Fed Gorn walking around.
  • teralnteraln Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think, even in the current system, that the racial characteristics stuff would go great for 'Alien' characters. I think it would benefit from having race presets, so its quick and easy for people to say, be a Cardassian or a Ocampan, or even certain hybrids, instead of having to do things manually. The portrait presets have some of that, but it is less efficient to scroll through than a drop down menu + preview.

I love the idea of the more detailed sliders and I would appreciate more control over certain elements like cheekbones and eyebrow height. I would like to see more options, but especially for hairstyles.
    edited December 2013
    I think their character creator is pretty good, and doubt their system could get even more specific. However, that said, I would like a cheek bone modifier so we can make a thinner or fatter face.

Also, would love more alien options like beaks, tails, and claws so we get more alien aliens. I know that it has some what this capability when we had Fed Gorn walking around.

You should check out Champions Online's character creator. It has a lot more options, and they're better, though the art style is way too cartoony. The best part is, STO is built on the champions engine, meaning that all the options there are already built into STO and NW's systems, including Cheek options.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wish that would happen. But Cryptic won't add it. I don't think wings are such a good idea though.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll add: I'd like to see age components broken down into pieces rather than being a single facial overlay.

Currently, species like Ferengi or Cardassians have the same face because you can't just add cheekbone types or dimples. If you have neckscales like a Cardassian, you cannot have any other distinguishing features aside from tattoos/scars.

I think the artist who did Worf's recent makeover made a strong observation that Dorn has a line under his right eye. Adding that made Worf look more believable.

But as players, we can't add a line under one eye. We can't add lines under both eyes. We're stuck with full faces whose traits can't be mixed and matched. You want a certain style of lines under your eyes? You have to take the cheekbones and mouth lines that go with it.

Likewise that we can't mix and match the two styles of nose and eyes. (This one should be simple. Just two new heads. Type 2 nose with type 1 eyes and type 1 eyes with type 2 nose.)

Also, sliders are too restrictive for non-aliens to make distinctive people.

I realize actual likenesses aren't something we should be doing but in the tailor one day, try to make Robert Picardo or Brent Spiner with a human. You can do it with an alien but not a human. Real humans have distinct faces.

There's also a shortage of conservative haircuts for men. In Trek, almost all the men had a short, parted look or a horseshoe. We have maybe 5 male haircuts like that in the editor... and meanwhile there are probably 7 or 8 haircuts with bangs (something mainly worn by Vulcans) and a bunch of extreme shaved head/ponytail looks. No horseshoe. Not very many catalog haircuts.

Also, in most versions of Trek, men were supposed to have sideburns cut in a diamond shape based on the Starfleet delta. None of the male haircuts in game have this. A simple fix would probably be to have a couple of angled sideburn facial hair add-ons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+trek+sideburns

It's not just a Federation thing.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=3494133

When a male actor who wasn't even playing a Federation person didn't have pointy sideburns, the Trek people would generally glue on pointy sideburns or add it with makeup.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would love to see more female hairdue options. Many of them are to girly.. something a 12 year old would wear. Also some are to strict.

I would love to see curly hair, braids, long hair options,..
    edited December 2013
    I'll add: I'd like to see age components broken down into pieces rather than being a single facial overlay.

Currently, species like Ferengi or Cardassians have the same face because you can't just add cheekbone types or dimples. If you have neckscales like a Cardassian, you cannot have any other distinguishing features aside from tattoos/scars.

I think the artist who did Worf's recent makeover made a strong observation that Dorn has a line under his right eye. Adding that made Worf look more believable.

:Snip:

There's also a shortage of conservative haircuts for men. In Trek, almost all the men had a short, parted look or a horseshoe. We have maybe 5 male haircuts like that in the editor... and meanwhile there are probably 7 or 8 haircuts with bangs (something mainly worn by Vulcans) and a bunch of extreme shaved head/ponytail looks. No horseshoe. Not very many catalog haircuts.

Also, in most versions of Trek, men were supposed to have sideburns cut in a diamond shape based on the Starfleet delta. None of the male haircuts in game have this. A simple fix would probably be to have a couple of angled sideburn facial hair add-ons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+trek+sideburns

It's not just a Federation thing.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=3494133

When a male actor who wasn't even playing a Federation person didn't have pointy sideburns, the Trek people would generally glue on pointy sideburns or add it with makeup.

Everything you say into the snip are definaitely things that need to be addressed. Under the snip, in TOS maybe but not "Trek" These hairstyles are a sign of the time when the shows where made. However, I would argue that the STO "hair stylists" look at past to present hairstyles as with most thing in "Style" they come back around.

Then take a peek at the many "alien" hairstyles and make sure they are a part of STO as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • masternecromanmasternecroman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree but please no wings, tentacles and horns, could you imagine the all around silliness.
    edited December 2013
    I agree but please no wings, tentacles and horns, could you imagine the all around silliness.

Yes but that is why there are some restrictions. Avaian races are out there just not real plentiful. Insect and Reptilian races are out there. I don't want to see a Devil race or anything so you could still have option restrictions based other selections.

But if I'm a bird man why wouldn't I have wings? I'm not suggesting you have the options to make all out monsters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tragamites wrote: »
    Anyone else with ideas here?

To me, more tailor options only become relevant in a setting where I can actually use it. For instance, no point in making me and by boffs looks even better, when they're hovering ca. 20cm above their bridge seats (or are stuck ca. 20cm into the floor).

Tl;dr: PC + NPC looks/movements, etc, need to be more or less on par with their environment.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited January 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    To me, more tailor options only become relevant in a setting where I can actually use it. For instance, no point in making me and by boffs looks even better, when they're hovering ca. 20cm above their bridge seats (or are stuck ca. 20cm into the floor).

Tl;dr: PC + NPC looks/movements, etc, need to be more or less on par with their environment.

I hear that. But that aside I really hope we get better options soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    There's supposed talk of another expansion later this year. I don't know how valid it is, but we can always try to push these topics to get the devs attentions
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes but that is why there are some restrictions. Avaian races are out there just not real plentiful. Insect and Reptilian races are out there. I don't want to see a Devil race or anything so you could still have option restrictions based other selections.

But if I'm a bird man why wouldn't I have wings? I'm not suggesting you have the options to make all out monsters.

Lol, they can't even fix clipping with big TRIBBLE, and you want wings? You'd be subjecting yourself to ALL sorts of clipping issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Collision fixes would always be nice. My Reman's head still pops out the back of his hood even though that was supposedly fixed. Then there's the ever popular and ever persistent issue with rifles that plague games...sticking through the bicep/elbow. If a body's proportion is set to X, whatever lies upon it - should lie upon it.
    edited January 2014
    I've tried to put together as to what the tailor options should look like I will list them here and in the OP.

Race Selection

Sizing yourself

Uniforms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    So I got to thinking about some changes I would like and wondered how many out the feel the same.

So what I want to see from a full range pallet to make us who ye are.

I'll start with asking 5-7 areas of the body customization and you come back with different variants of the subject.

1- (Example) Body Type:
    Reptilian
    Humanoid
    Feliniod
    Rodentarian
    Insectoid
    Amphidian
    Aviary
    Aquatic

2- legs
    3- hands
    4- Busts
    5- shoes/boots.

everyday or so I want to post more on here. the I'll compile the data and go from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1- (Example) Body Type:
    Reptilian
    Humanoid
    Feliniod
    Rodentarian
    Insectoid
    Amphidian
    Aviary
    Aquatic

This alone would make the alien generator SOOOOO much better than it is now.

I mean, seriously, I can make 256 combinations of fish people with blocks of coral growing out of their heads, but I have only ONE option for skin type?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree with this. The Character creator Cryptic built for their games is phenomenal, yet we're being limited to all the great options. Just giving us the options from champions online would allow us to make much more realistic humans based on having more sliders to fine tune, or being able to mix and match more parts than the alien generator allows us to do currently.

realistic? hahaha. CO and realism? thats like stating an ordinary double decker bus can out race a BTCC sports car on a small race track.

on CO it's all strong chins, big hands and feet, oversized torso's. trek is at least based in part of real world body scales however the only things i would like to see is an adjustment to;
    • hips (both genders and they need a substantial improvement).
    • midriff (female, hour glass is fine but most of the time they look like they all wore corsets with the intention of permanently disfiguring themselves).
    • leg bulk (male especially with a muscle character with a bigger torso, looks silly with those scrawny legs even with full bar on leg bulk).
    • face (both genders, only having two faces makes them all look like clones from the same template regardless how you try to adjust them or dress them up. more faces would be welcome).
    • legs (female, especially noticeable in a skirt or tight pants that half the inner thigh looks like it was cut off).

the last customization for the characters was just a UI change. the whole thing needs TLC.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2014
    So I got to thinking about some changes I would like and wondered how many out the feel the same.

So what I want to see from a full range pallet to make us who ye are.

I'll start with asking 5-7 areas of the body customization and you come back with different variants of the subject.

1- (Example) Body Type:
    Reptilian
    Humanoid
    Feliniod
    Rodentarian
    Insectoid
    Amphidian
    Aviary
    Aquatic

2- legs
    3- hands
    4- Busts
    5- shoes/boots.

everyday or so I want to post more on here. the I'll compile the data and go from there.

Day Two.
    1. Head Organic
    2. Eyes
    3. Face Organic
    4. Accessories
    5. Mouth
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Necro Thread! Get The Boomsticks!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBIE!!! Kill it now!!!

*grabs flamethrower*

*FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH*
  • vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

--Heh. I've seen some people make some pretty unrealistic stuff already. The kinda stuff that would die in a lab if someone spliced DNA to make it.

The Wing idea reminds me of those lil Anime MMOs. As for sliders, idk, some might prove better then others. Its a few things that even after you change them, you wouldnt ever notice them. Due to gear, moving to fast, graphical settings and so on.

-V
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,670 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    shame they don't have the ability to do snouts. Mark is thinking about making Groot and I'd like to do the raccoon
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    edited September 2014
    shame they don't have the ability to do snouts. Mark is thinking about making Groot and I'd like to do the raccoon

Maybe with the added sliders you can make something close but i doubt youll get a gorn like snout if they dont add a feature to the racial type identifier
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]