test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change shield visuals to a hull slot

moonmossmoonmoss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I think this would be a good idea. Rather than have shields change the appearance of your ship, why not just make a slot for hull material that only changes the looks? You could then equip any shield you want with any look.

Cryptic could also make money on this. Lots of F2P games make money on aesthetics, but cryptic never had good c-store options for aesthetics.
Post edited by moonmoss on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    They did have that. Ship costumes. Those were turned into Fleet Ship variants.

But I wouldn't mind being able to use different visuals without being locked into a particular set.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They did have that. Ship costumes. Those were turned into Fleet Ship variants.

But I wouldn't mind being able to use different visuals without being locked into a particular set.

It was never like what the OP suggested. These were just additional sets of parts for ship customization you could buy in the C-Store for certain T5 ships.
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    *Edit: misread the description.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yup, they could do what other MMOs do and have the purchase or equip of a gear item unlock the material/appearance.

The argument that this would confuse PvPers is not valid, because we can already disable shield/engine/deflector visuals to not give away our gear.

it is just a vanity issue, so why not?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They did it with Armor, so why not with shield visuals.

Would have a nice sideeffect of cleaning up thoose who dont know how to turn their visuals on or off.

Sorry, but the Reman Set just looks awful on the Ambassador and several other ships :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd welcome something like this, post-apoc RPG Fallen Earth has a system like this in place...

Another option would be a 'uniform unlock' style of system, like the Ground Set Uniform Unlocks perhaps?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You'd think the shield visuals would, you know, affect the visuals of your shields.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As you unlock the items that affect the visuals of your ships, they visuals could be added to the material list in the ship tailor.

Although personally, I like the way it is.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, it is weird that different shields make your hull look different. But I guess Cryptic found it easier to attach the graphic change command there than making it separate.

Same with Impulse engines making your Warp speed faster.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    You'd think the shield visuals would, you know, affect the visuals of your shields.

Funnily enough, this is exactly what happens but, for argument's sake, you want the Romulan Rep Shield look on your ship, in order to have this, you're forced to use the Romulan shields, which are a very poor shield compared to many others that are available...

What the OP is suggesting (or at least how I interpreted it) was that if you had the Romulan Shields, you could place that in a 'uniform/appearance shield slot' so that your ship has that look, but then equip Fleet Shields to actually use as your defensive shields...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    I'd be happy if they'd separate nacelle glow color from the shield/hull type.

Maybe link it to warp/singularity core (which would necessitate adding a few, obviously).

But yes, an unlocking feature for the ship tailor would be good either way.