test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No R&D crafted equipment except beams and cannons get the new mods

lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
edited September 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Modifiers

Finally, there are some unique item modifiers, or “mods”, that can only be found on items created by the R&D system.
These item modifiers have a chance to appear on any crafted item of Blue quality or higher.
Here are some example mods for various types of item – as with the traits, all of these are subject to change pending testing on Tribble:

Beams:
[Over] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a free Beam Overload for the next beam weapon that fires.
Cannons:
[Rapid] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a 4 second duration Cannon Rapid Fire buff.
Torpedo:
[Pen] – This mod causes all of its weapons attacks to ignore 10 points of Damage Resistance Rating on their target.
Shield:
[Amp] – This mod increases the strength of all heals used on the equipped starship by 10%.
Engines:
[Damp] – This mod increases the owner’s resistance to all crowd control effects.
Deflector:
[CdrS] – This mod grants Cooldown Reduction on all non-damaging Science powers.
Ground Weapons:
[Run] – This mod increases the run speed of the owner by 20%.
So, there you have it!
The Research and Development system is currently available to test on the Tribble test server, and is part of our Season 9.5 Update.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this sneak peak at the details of the system, and I encourage anyone who’s interested to log in to Tribble and post feedback on the system to the forums.

Thanks, and see you around the galaxy!

Jeff “AdjudicatorHawk” Hamilton
System Designer
Star Trek Online

The above was posted on July 1st, and I've complained repeatedly about this one since I started crafting on the science track and checking the Exchange. The ONLY crafted items (non-UR) that are getting the new mods listed above (and there are probably way more, but we never got a full list of mods) are ship weapons (not projectiles).

How am I so sure it's a bug?
You can find mk II Rare Antiproton beams with the [over] mod in the Exchange, but you can't find a single shield, deflector, engines, ground weapon, or torpedoes with any of the mods listed above. Furthermore, I've crafted about 150 VR deflectors overall while slowly speeding the science track each day. At this point, I should have gotten lucky at least once and gotten that [CdrS] mod listed above.

I hope this gets fixed and at the least gets sorted out and patched with the expansion release since I have low hopes of this getting patched before that.
Post edited by lucho80 on

Comments

• Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can confirm this, for Ground weapons, engines and torpedos, after several hundred crafted VR Groundweapons/Engines/Torpedos not a single [Run]/[Damp] or [Pen] (but i found at least [Pen] on crafted cannons, not sure about beams).
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Bumping up. Between this bug and the fact that UR Sci and RCS consoles are being crafted left and right with no mods, is giving R&D a bad rep.

On the other hand, that level 15 sci trait....
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Bumping up. Between this bug and the fact that UR Sci and RCS consoles are being crafted left and right with no mods, is giving R&D a bad rep.

On the other hand, that level 15 sci trait....

It feels like the number increased greatly since the last patch, before that i had 3or 4 in a month (wow, so long and no bugfix?), now i had 4 in the last 4 days (or i am just horrible unlucky).

And that only one (beams) of seven Crafting R&D Trees work as advertised in the blogs leaves a bit of a bad taste...
    I mean they are introduced as a sort of "premium R&D item", and are planned in a way that you need 2x Money/Zen (R&D Doff -> Lockbox; Catalyst -> R&D Pack) to craft at an acceptable success rate. yet.. they don't work!

(and still no information about a "trade in" for the bugged consoles... or can we throw them away as just very expensive junk?)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    R&D system still painfully broken, and nothing being done, even in Tribble to fix it.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    R&D system still painfully broken, and nothing being done, even in Tribble to fix it.
    Just a thought... Since there's no answer within Cryptic's own official forum site (this site), perhaps one of the STO-focused podcasts can raise the topic with the Devs.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So I guess there's not much point in trying to fast-track a characters R&D experience.

Oh well, another part of the game to pretty much ignore. (I'm not in a Fleet and I don't PvP)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Just a thought... Since there's no answer within Cryptic's own official forum site (this site), perhaps one of the STO-focused podcasts can raise the topic with the Devs.

Well, if you can get their attention, be my guest. I'd love for Mr. Jeff Hamilton aka adjudicatorhawk to comment on why this hasn't gotten a fix since he owned the blog post.

The whole premise of the R&D system was that we would be able to craft Rare and VR items with new unique mods. The worst part are those UR consoles getting no mods whatsoever, but that's a whole other ignored bug.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    While we are at "half-baked" stuff, what is a R&D:Shields Doff good for?
    -- SHIELD DISTRIBUTION OFFICER --
    R&D School: Shields

Faction: Fed
    Name: Mokimro
    Species/Gender: Reptilian-Male

Faction: Kdf
    Name: Kimdomma
    Species/Gender: Reptilian-Female

Did i miss something?
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I feel bad for the guys that spent zen on dill to find out its broken but i was not one of them persons new crafting is nothing but a zen rip off. that i was not a fool to waste dill on
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Now I have hope frost will get to this one. The R&D system needs some bug fixing love.

Only items from 2 schools out of 7 working correctly (mostly, that [Arc] mod also fails to sometimes appear on the beams and the missing Eng/Sci UR console mods suck) is a shame.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    So I guess there's not much point in trying to fast-track a characters R&D experience.

Oh well, another part of the game to pretty much ignore. (I'm not in a Fleet and I don't PvP)

The only thing worth fast tracking right now is Science for the trait.
  • Options
    silverserasilversera Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is just depressing I wanted so badly to get a 116B with the run speed mod, I guess that exlain why nobody has one .I guess that mean there is no point to crafting until they fix it, no need to was precious resource on the far chance of getting an ultra rare that won't even have the mod I want.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    silversera wrote: »
    This is just depressing I wanted so badly to get a 116B with the run speed mod, I guess that exlain why nobody has one .I guess that mean there is no point to crafting until they fix it, no need to was precious resource on the far chance of getting an ultra rare that won't even have the mod I want.

this is why i just focused on the xp, not trying to craft or rush it,

just want the bugs to be worked out.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    silversera wrote: »

Yeah, Ultra Rares, at least the sci/eng ones that are supposed to get mods, also don't get mods sometimes. Overall, the R&D system is pretty bug infected.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, Ultra Rares, at least the sci/eng ones that are supposed to get mods, also don't get mods sometimes. Overall, the R&D system is pretty bug infected.

What concerns me a bit is how quickly the "new and shiny things" are abandoned, from the release of 9.5 on (July 17? it's a bit since) we had:
    - component crafting a nightmare -> fixed a few days later
    - catalysts not working correctly - > fixed via stealth patch
    then we had:
    - RCS Consoles getting Sci Mods -> "fixed", but bugged Engineering AND Science MK XII Consoles into getting UR's without Mod, the Bug is known for ~40 Days, since then: no informations about what will happen with the bugged consoles (or when to expect a fix ...).
    - Except for Cannons/Beams (at least partially) no R&D-Tree actually got the promised new Stats for crafted items: known since ~ July 17.
    - Ground Weapons... i miss the Melee part...

And a minor issue:
    - Is there a Reason for the Shield Crafting Xindi Doff and the Shield R&D-Tree? Currently both seem to be pretty useless (It only offers AEGIS shields at Lvl 15 and for that you need a AEGIS DOFF, so Xindi Shield DOFF => "Congratualtions, Captain Dunsel").
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    What concerns me a bit is how quickly the "new and shiny things" are abandoned, from the release of 9.5 on (July 17? it's a bit since) we had:
    - component crafting a nightmare -> fixed a few days later
    - catalysts not working correctly - > fixed via stealth patch
    then we had:
    - RCS Consoles getting Sci Mods -> "fixed", but bugged Engineering AND Science MK XII Consoles into getting UR's without Mod, the Bug is known for ~40 Days, since then: no informations about what will happen with the bugged consoles (or when to expect a fix ...).
    - Except for Cannons/Beams (at least partially) no R&D-Tree actually got the promised new Stats for crafted items: known since ~ July 17.
    - Ground Weapons... i miss the Melee part...

And a minor issue:
    - Is there a Reason for the Shield Crafting Xindi Doff and the Shield R&D-Tree? Currently both seem to be pretty useless (It only offers AEGIS shields at Lvl 15 and for that you need a AEGIS DOFF, so Xindi Shield DOFF => "Congratualtions, Captain Dunsel").

It got abandoned thanks to Cryptic shifting all resources over to the new expansion. They "fixed" frozen doff assignments by adding a horrible delay which no none likes, but the devs don't really care since it seems adding a delay was the quick easy way to fix it. They released this whole R&D system, fixed a couple of bugs and then left it abandoned thanks to DR, and on top of the fact that is bugged, they are adding more potentially bugged stuff into it with DR.

The boatswain whistle seems to be the one and only good thing they added with S9.5.
  • Options
    marthitamarthita Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Taken word for word from http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/15/captains-log-supplemental-a-look-at-star-trek-onlines-histor/
    Corners had to be cut. Rivera looks back at the launch version and notes that it was riddled with flaws -- crafting was so minimal as to barely be worthy of the name, the content was far from perfect, there were gaps in the leveling experience, and there was a lot of trimming up to do. That was the team's first focus once the game went live, polishing up the systems that had been thrown together under an compressed deadline.

So he looks at all the flaws, tries to come up with something better and fails to fix all the bugs (UR consoles w/o mods, VR and Rare items w/o new mods, and horrible 5 sec delay) introduced with it because he has had to cut corners (bug repairs) in order to push out a new version (Delta Rising).

That was the moment I did a double facepalm.

At least the old R&D system didn't have all these bugs with the crafted items and didn't force a 5 second delay on assignment completion that can force up to a 2 minutes and a half wait for assignments to complete once you log on.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The R&D system still being broken diminishes the kinds of mods we could have with the upgrade system. I hope someone notices this bug and fixes it before the expansion hits.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Another Friday and nothing. At least fix all these R&D bugs in Tribble before adding the upgrade stuff in, otherwise it just compounds the problems.

1) All schools apart from beams and cannons missing the new mods promised in the dev blog
    2) UR eng/sci consoles not getting mods
    3) The [Arc] mod is sometimes tied to the UR weapons that should have it and sometimes not
    4) Not related directly to crafting, but that [Stl] mod on deflectors has been pointing to shields systems for 3 years now when it should point to starship stealth.

Those are the more glaring ones I can remember. The "clicking the missing mat/component" thing made my game randomly crash today. Too bad the error box also went down, otherwise I would have reported it.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the lack of fixes and acknowledgment is troubling.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    the lack of fixes and acknowledgment is troubling.

Seems this might have gotten stealth patched. Projectiles seem to be getting new mods. Can someone confirm they can craft the new mods?
  • Options
    toshiro157toshiro157 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Seems this might have gotten stealth patched. Projectiles seem to be getting new mods. Can someone confirm they can craft the new mods?

I can confirm that I have crafted projectiles with the [spr] modifier, it gives a version of torpedo spread, though I have not tested to see if it works.

No luck crafting a [run] mod yet on ground weapons, though my weapon weapon proc "mods" seem to have gone away which is nice.

Not sure about other crafting mods.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    toshiro157 wrote: »
    I can confirm that I have crafted projectiles with the [spr] modifier, it gives a version of torpedo spread, though I have not tested to see if it works.

No luck crafting a [run] mod yet on ground weapons, though my weapon weapon proc "mods" seem to have gone away which is nice.

Not sure about other crafting mods.

I'd love to hear from the science and RCS console crafting folk, see if the missing mod issue got squashed also.