test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

any word about the Dauntless class yet?

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
Just wandering if there is any news or info that I have missed about the Dauntless class starship would really love to get this ship and hope that it may be a science vessel ether t5 or t6?
Post edited by jim625 on

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    considering that the team are not focused on canon ships, i doubt the dauntless is coming, thankfully. it was never something i wanted in the game anyways, there is far too much ambiguity on that ship class.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought they already had this in the game? Isn't one of those science ships shaped like that?
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    considering that the team are not focused on canon ships, i doubt the dauntless is coming, thankfully. it was never something i wanted in the game anyways, there is far too much ambiguity on that ship class.

Yup...I personally hope it isn't coming either!
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited September 2014
    lunasto wrote: »
    I thought they already had this in the game? Isn't one of those science ships shaped like that?

no idea what its main purpose is, because what was known is that arturus' ship was in a holographic disguise of this ship class, however there apparently could of been dauntless class federation ships in the 26th, however there was never anything that could solidly prove that point, other then a few flashes of "a" ship and that was it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Dauntless makes as much sense to be in the game as the Galaxy -X. Some Starfleet ship designer could have saw the records of the Dauntless and wanted to create it just like the Galaxy-X.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Last I checked it was still coming Soon(tm).
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2014
    no idea what its main purpose is, because what was known is that arturus' ship was in a holographic disguise of this ship class, however there apparently could of been dauntless class federation ships in the 26th, however there was never anything that could solidly prove that point, other then a few flashes of "a" ship and that was it.

Yup...the Prime argument for it to be in game...because they were lazy or trying to save money and reused old models from Voyager!
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's an alien ship, so it's got no business being in the game.

But then, players are flying Undine bio ships, which make just as little sense, so maybe you'll see it in a scam box.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vawlkus wrote: »
    It's an alien ship, so it's got no business being in the game.

But then, players are flying Undine bio ships, which make just as little sense, so maybe you'll see it in a scam box.
    Heaven forbid a game company should give people the opportunity to buy things they want to buy. How dare they create an Undine ship that some people actually wanted to fly, let alone a possible Dauntless! Cryptic should only make ships I want, and to hell with what everyone else wants. I am the only special snowflake that matters!
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well said, cosmic1. Well said.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Heaven forbid a game company should give people the opportunity to buy things they want to buy. How dare they create an Undine ship that some people actually wanted to fly, let alone a possible Dauntless! Cryptic should only make ships I want, and to hell with what everyone else wants. I am the only special snowflake that matters!

?

Who are you and where is Cosmic1?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    ?

He's been taken over by a Undine Infiltrater :D
    edited September 2014
    ?

jim625 wrote: »
    He's been taken over by a Undine Infiltrater :D
    That is right! From now on it is all me! Me! Me! What the rest of you want is meaningless. Cryptic will do everything I say or I will crush them like the talking apes they are! :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited September 2014
    That is right! From now on it is all me! Me! Me! What the rest of you want is meaningless. Cryptic will do everything I say or I will crush them like the talking apes they are! :D

Better get that hammer out..
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    edited September 2014

all i see from all that nonsense is some got picked and others probably wont be touched, so while the fail-x and the 8472 ships made it that doesnt automatically guarantee the dauntless would come, i mean we got many other alien ships in trek that never made it in game, the t'lani, the sona including their battlecruiser and the other cruiser/frigate, tarellian, karemma and many other alien ships.

as for starfleet; new orleans, yeager and other federation ships that will not be entered since the dev team has focused their ship development attention to fantasy ships.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    jim625 wrote: »
    Just wandering if there is any news or info that I have missed about the Dauntless class starship would really love to get this ship and hope that it may be a science vessel ether t5 or t6?

There's still just over a month left, before X2 drops... and THAT is if you believe it will drop on October 14th.

All I can say is... sit tight. :) I'm hopefully optimistic it WILL (not MIGHT) be in game. :D
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe they are saving it for the new 'Delta themed' lockbox that will be inevitable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
    edited September 2014
    Maybe they are saving it for the new 'Delta themed' lockbox that will be inevitable?

you can be sure the delta themed lb will contain dq ships. i hope there isnt a kazon frigate in that box, i hope it comes in the winter event :P
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    See, I quite like the Dauntless myself but the idea of a Federation ship which looks exactly like it makes little sense from a canon point of view... the ship only looked like it did due to "particle synthesis" (an apparent form of disguise we wouldn't understand but which seems to operate in a similar fashion to a holo-disguise only more solid).

That being said, I could see a lockbox at some point in the future with this ship in it and the console being a "built-in" holo-disguise similar to the one used by the Scimitar's drones. ie, look like a ship from the enemy faction so gain a brief moment of confusion for the enemy during which you cannot be targetted. Firing on the opponent breaks the lockout.

The ship could then have a few skins which you can switch on the fly... "Dauntless" being one of them.

Story-wise we found Arcturis' people's last hideout and it was stocked with these ships but no people so the Alliance helped themselves and left a note promising they were only borrowing them :D
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've never thought it all that improbable that the Dauntless could reappear as a genuine Starfleet vessel. After all, the disguise was good enough to fool Voyager's crew into thinking it was legit; the 'particle synthesis' disguise may have been thorough enough to provide a workable schematic of a Fed version of the ship.
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    I've never thought it all that improbable that the Dauntless could reappear as a genuine Starfleet vessel. After all, the disguise was good enough to fool Voyager's crew into thinking it was legit; the 'particle synthesis' disguise may have been thorough enough to provide a workable schematic of a Fed version of the ship.
    Yeah. We have to assume that Voyager has brought back what scans they took of all the ships they encountered in the Delta Quadrant, and in the prevailing 30+ years Starfleet has used that information within their own ship designs.

Plus it is not as though we really need a canon explanation for liking something and wanting it in the game. We are talking about a game with T'varos, and D'kyrs, and Wells, and so on - all added to the game simply because some segment of the fanbase would enjoy flying them.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yup...the Prime argument for it to be in game...because they were lazy or trying to save money and reused old models from Voyager!

That ship was a prometheus, i still. Do not understand how people got this dauntless myth going.
    edited September 2014
    Yeah. We have to assume that Voyager has brought back what scans they took of all the ships they encountered in the Delta Quadrant, and in the prevailing 30+ years Starfleet has used that information within their own ship designs.

Plus it is not as though we really need a canon explanation for liking something and wanting it in the game. We are talking about a game with T'varos, and D'kyrs, and Wells, and so on - all added to the game simply because some segment of the fanbase would enjoy flying them.

the other side of that argument is that arturis' ship was heading directly for the borg when his trap was sprung, its likely arturis and his ship were assimilated including the design for the dauntless knockoff. unless starfleet have found a different direction in building the dauntless, otherwise the whole design has been completely compromised. doubtless the borg forget to retain such useful information like that even after janeways savage attack.
    edited September 2014
    the other side of that argument is that arturis' ship was heading directly for the borg when his trap was sprung, its likely arturis and his ship were assimilated including the design for the dauntless knockoff. unless starfleet have found a different direction in building the dauntless, otherwise the whole design has been completely compromised. doubtless the borg forget to retain such useful information like that even after janeways savage attack.

But, by that logic, most of the iconic ships would be useless against the Borg... between Wolf 359 and the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact, the Borg have seen almost every Federation design in the game.

And, just because Starfleet decides to use the basic shape of the Dauntless does not mean it's the same ship. If you look at a Romulan D7 and a Klingon D7, for example, I'm sure the tech inside would be quite different outside of the shared design.
    edited September 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    But, by that logic, most of the iconic ships would be useless against the Borg... between Wolf 359 and the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact, the Borg have seen almost every Federation design in the game.

And, just because Starfleet decides to use the basic shape of the Dauntless does not mean it's the same ship. If you look at a Romulan D7 and a Klingon D7, for example, I'm sure the tech inside would be quite different outside of the shared design.

unless every ship in the entire federation ship class has been assimilated once by the borg, that logic you proposing is false. the borg at 359 destroyed the starships, they had no use for them unless you forgot that.

again it depends how starfleet goes around the dauntless design, if it is indeed tainted, using the original design specs from the arturis knockoff is a bad idea or face a situation where the ship is vulnerable to a borg attack everytime.
    edited September 2014
    unless every ship in the entire federation ship class has been assimilated once by the borg, that logic you proposing is false. the borg at 359 destroyed the starships, they had no use for them unless you forgot that.

LOL, of course I didn't forget... just because we didn't see a Borg-ified Saratoga or Melbourne or what not does not mean the Borg didn't assimilate the knowledge of those ships. Clearly, the Borg see other ship designs as "imperfect," anyway, so we wouldn't be seeing Borg-ified ships of any kind.

The Borg were altering or assimilating the Enterprise-E because they were trying to take it over (and THEIR ship was already destroyed). The Borg in the ENT episode "Regeneration" were in a similar situation... they assimilated a ship to take it over, and escape.

If the Borg have encountered and overpowered a ship, they've assimilated it. Assimilation = knowledge.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    That ship was a prometheus, i still. Do not understand how people got this dauntless myth going.

Dauntless Class vessel during the Battle of Procyon V, as seen through the window of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-J.
    edited September 2014
    Dauntless Class vessel during the Battle of Procyon V, as seen through the window of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-J.

People prefer to ignore this fact saying "it's just reused CGI"... Ironically Ignoring that The Excelsior and Miranda classes in TNG are just reused TMP-era ships...
    edited September 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »

Well it was more than the Prometheus...it was also a Nova, Dauntless, Vor'cha, and for the Sphere Builders they reused several Delta Quadrant races ships.

So yes it's so canon, just like the Sphere Builders building ship that look identical to Delta Quadrant species vessels from centuries beforehand! :rolleyes:
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    People prefer to ignore this fact saying "it's just reused CGI"... Ironically Ignoring that The Excelsior and Miranda classes in TNG are just reused TMP-era ships...

Indeed, Starfleet builds their ships to last. As for the Dauntless being alien, it doesn't change the fact it was an efficiently designed ship for Slipstream technology. Since all the alien tech and information from the Delta Quadrant was studied by Starfleet, it would be logical to believe they found the design interesting enough to use for themselves. For all we know, other survivors of Species 116 were discovered and went to work with the Federation to build them.