test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Picard Maneuver not really possible?...

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
The Picard Maneuver worked because the Ferengi (at the time) didn't have faster than light sensors. The Stargazer was 9 million kms away from the Ferengi ship, meaning that light would take around 32 seconds to travel to the D'Kora. The warp jump took the Stargazer a lot closer to the D'Kora, giving them 32 seconds of seemingly 2 ships instead of one.

The whole maneuver is based on slower than light sensors, which we know (at least) the Federation has and by now everyone else should have. Therefore it really shouldn't work. (Also, a warp ship that doesn't have faster than light sensors? Talk about flying blind!!!)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought that went in to the ship and console, and if it weren't for the vast devaluation of current top level ships that has resulted in me closing my wallet to cryptic I would buy the Constellation in a heartbeat.

Just saying.
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As you stated, it would really be impossible for the D'kora to not have FTL sensors. A ship could not travel at warp speeds if it did not have those sensors. A best it would be like BSG and they could only do warp jumps. Then need to stop and recalculate for the next jump. That is clearly not the case in the IP so we simply have to assume this is nothing more then a standard Star Trek writer TRIBBLE up and leave it at that. The Picard Maneuver works like all the rest of the "magic" works in the Trek universe.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Obviously the technique has since been upgraded to fool subspace sensors too. Sort of like the Warp Shadows singularity power combined with Singularity Jump.

Also, the Ferengi sensors at the battle of Maxia may have just been really crappy subspace sensors that couldn't detect split-second warp bursts very well.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Obviously the technique has since been upgraded to fool subspace sensors too. Sort of like the Warp Shadows singularity power combined with Singularity Jump.

Also, the Ferengi sensors at the battle of Maxia may have just been really crappy subspace sensors that couldn't detect split-second warp bursts very well.

This is why being a cheapskate Ferengi "legitimate businessman" is bad for your health.

Always, always, ALWAYS buy functioning gear. This is important.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I should point out that it's HIGH warp and lasts for a few seconds.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    This is why being a cheapskate Ferengi "legitimate businessman" is bad for your health.

Always, always, ALWAYS buy functioning gear. This is important.

Well the fact that Riker had to create a counter manuver/action to it, rather than just letting the stargazer use it's outdated weapons on the enterprise would suggest that 24'th century Starfleet gear might have been somewhat defective too then?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well the fact that Riker had to create a counter manuver/action to it, rather than just letting the stargazer use it's outdated weapons on the enterprise would suggest that 24'th century Starfleet gear might have been somewhat defective too then?

You got em there.

I have to resist posting... its a TELEVISION show in these threads so hard.

There are over 9000 reasons why this Maneuver would never work if the TV show was real. Of course its not and every week writers would add or remove what ever they needed to to make the show work that week. Sure they may have tried to keep a lore as well as they could. In the end though you have many many writers adding and subtracting.

The Picard was cool enough looking on TV in 1987.

PS... the real issue is Mr. Data devised a hard counter to the Picard years before the games date. Also... we need an EMOTE in game for the real Picard Maneuver.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know it's a TV show and there are a million things that don't correlate with other bits of the show, but it's all a bit of fun. Just like the stabilised bits of the show in this clip. Love how Riker wiggles on the seat. Looks so silly.

Stabilised footage
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know it's a TV show and there are a million things that don't correlate with other bits of the show, but it's all a bit of fun. Just like the stabilised bits of the show in this clip. Love how Riker wiggles on the seat. Looks so silly.

Stabilised footage

:) that is a pretty funny clip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought that went in to the ship and console, and if it weren't for the vast devaluation of current top level ships that has resulted in me closing my wallet to cryptic I would buy the Constellation in a heartbeat.
    This again?

...seriously? :rolleyes:
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    This again?

...seriously? :rolleyes:

You buy things based on your perception of the value you see in it. I expect others to allow me the same. Simple common courtesy. Thank you.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Star Trek is fantasy not SF
    edited August 2014
    Star Trek is fantasy not SF

I've never really thought of it that way but it actually makes a lot of sense.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014

. Also... we need an EMOTE in game for the real Picard Maneuver.

Its called "Tug" in the emote selection drop down.

And the in chat description is " name performs the Picard Maneuver. "
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited August 2014
    You buy things based on your perception of the value you see in it. I expect others to allow me the same. Simple common courtesy. Thank you.
    Fair enough. But still...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fanwanking incoming:

Maybe the Ferengi turned down their subspace sensors when not at warp to avoid wear & tear. By only using subspace sensors at warp, he was able to lower maintenance cost of his ship by 0.95 %!

Even with subspace sensors, a potential use I could see is if you fire phasers and torpedoes at sublight speeds, then warp to overtake them and fire another salvo, overpowering the target's shields because more firepower arrives at the same time as normal.

Of course, that would require the ship to be able to fire another salvo within a very short time frame, and it would require maneuvering around your own phaser and torpedoes to not hit into them.

But yeah... The maneuver was a cool idea but shouldn't really work...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • quaestusquaestus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Might I just remind people we're playing a game with space cats where the best technology for your faction comes from an alien faction you apparently make contact with through a Ferengi lottery and "to boldly go where no man has gone before" means "to repeatedly go where you had just been 45 minutes ago"...

Don't get me wrong, I get why people get hooked up on all the little details but if you're looking for things to make sense, this isn't the game. :P
    edited August 2014
    quaestus wrote: »
    Might I just remind people we're playing a game with space cats where the best technology for your faction comes from an alien faction you apparently make contact with through a Ferengi lottery and "to boldly go where no man has gone before" means "to repeatedly go where you had just been 45 minutes ago"...

Don't get me wrong, I get why people get hooked up on all the little details but if you're looking for things to make sense, this isn't the game. :P
    I would love to see the game that portrays the "to boldly go where no man has gone before" aspect accurately and consistently. ESPECIALLY in a persistent world where the place you're going could have easily been explored by another player 5 minutes ago.
  • quaestusquaestus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I would love to see the game that portrays the "to boldly go where no man has gone before" aspect accurately and consistently. ESPECIALLY in a persistent world where the place you're going could have easily been explored by another player 5 minutes ago.

It was the basic premise behind the exploration sectors, randomly generated instanced zones where you would see something different every time you went in... they just never finished the development on it and all we ever got was the same run along this path and click these 5 items or kill these 5 groups of trash mission grind that nobody ever did, instead of finished exploration sectors we got 10 different "click this button and wait an hour" mini-games.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sluggish beings that say "'HUUUUMAAN" very slowly, probably don't see too fast either. :P And thus the Picard Manoeuvre works on Ferengi only.

Problem solved. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Even with subspace sensors, a potential use I could see is if you fire phasers and torpedoes at sublight speeds, then warp to overtake them and fire another salvo, overpowering the target's shields because more firepower arrives at the same time as normal.
    At which point you discover why the CIA's attempt at making a fighter variant of the SR-71 Blackbird didn't work - as you fire phasers and photon torpedoes, then engage the warp burst, only to find your own weapons hitting your aft shields...

Darra, if you want people to "respect your opinion", perhaps you could express it as opinion rather than fact. You believe there's been this "vast devaluation" of ships - I personally see it as the natural result of raising the level cap (my LtCdr doesn't fly a Miranda, my Captain doesn't fly a Dakota, why should my Fleet Admiral still be stuck in the Oddy Prototype he picked up back when he was just a Rear Admiral Lower Half?).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    At which point you discover why the CIA's attempt at making a fighter variant of the SR-71 Blackbird didn't work - as you fire phasers and photon torpedoes, then engage the warp burst, only to find your own weapons hitting your aft shields...

Apropos of nothing, wasn't there a WW2 era plane on a training flight that shot itself down?

Fired a burst of practise rounds at altitude, dove and met the rounds coming down......
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Unlikely, might shoot its own propeller off since machine guns had to be synchronized with it because were they were mounted.

No way it would outrun a fired projectile, unless the laws of physics had ceased to apply.
    It depends on what it's starting speed was, what the projectile speed itself is, and what the speed it eventually had became. But it seems very unlikely. It could erhaps involve some of the first jet fighters, they were certainly faster than regular planes at the time, but projectiles are usually a lot faster still.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thrown projectile would be faster at the start but would immediately start to slow down due to drag, until terminal velocity. Meanwhile the plane kept flying at speed due to thrust. So its possible that the plane could fly downards and into the bullets that it fired a minute before, but seems kind of unlikely. Seems like something Mythbusters would have done a bit on already.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    It seems you are talking about a F11F-1 Tiger on a incident that happened in 1956 were it fired his cannons at supersonic speed, its just a freak accident ... birds get in engines a lot of times as well.

The reason the SR-71 never got into being a "fighter" was because of costs, we talking about McNamara and the "Swiss army-knife" TFX.

Also as a note, the YF-12 (SR-71 fighter) was intended to replace the F-106 as a interceptor, you know the F-106 as armed with a AIM-26 Falcon that had a nuclear warhead?
    There were in fact a handful of YF-12s built armed as fighters (thus the "F" in the designation), at the behest of the CIA - the Air Force didn't want anything to do with it. The problem they had was that the weapons they fired moved more slowly than the craft itself - at least one YF-12 shot itself down with its own heat-seeking missiles during flight testing.

The YF-12 could not have been used in the same role as an F-104 Starfighter with a Genie nuclear warhead - the intent was for the F-104 to fly into an enemy formation, release its Genie, and skedaddle before all Hades broke loose, but both the SR-71 and the YF-12 were far too fast for that. By the time they found the enemy squadron, they would have overshot said squadron. (Same reason F-16s are mediocre tankbusters when compared to A-10 Warthogs - they fly too fast, and thus have less time to acquire targets.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A ship's sensors probably aren't just a singular thing; there would likely be many different sensors for many different purposes.

Sensors used for precision weapon targeting may not track warp manoeuvres very well (it would explain why photon torpedoes don't just get shot down). The Ferengi ship may have had sensors that could follow the move, but they weren't necessarily the sensors their weapons officer was looking at when it happened.