test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would I lose by dropping my gold sub?

cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
Greetings to all,

I know this must have been asked a million times but I cant seem to find the threads so here I go.

I am looking at dropping my gold sub which I have had since dec 2010 and going f2p I know I should of bought a lts and saved me some money but I felt by paying monthly I was supporting this game more then if I paid one lump sum. No offence to any lifer it was just my thinking. But here latley with all the changes and problems this game has I cant see supporting cryptic anymore to me this game is not worth 14.99 a month.

Dont get me wrong I love this game just dont feel its worth 14.99 anymore I still plan on logging in and playing i'll just grind as i already do for stuff. So if anyone knows what I lose or keep please let me know. Thank you.
Post edited by cincyman39 on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    • You won't get the Stipend.
    • New characters won't get additional slots and Respec tolkens
    • I know some who have lost their EC cap, by going silver... Others however do not experience this it seems
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You will definitely lose EC cap unless you buy it separately
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah you will lose the EC cap, but be aware all the "services" you lose can be bought again just investing a little zen that you can trade for dilithium and thats it. Its not a big deal. The most "important" thing you will lose, i guess it is the monthly stipent, but its not a big deal either. And welcome to the club. I also was a gold subscriber ages ago, but for the same reasons as you (this game doesnt deserve any support) i just droped it. And it was the best decision i did, even if i already wasted a lot of money before that. If one day this game (mostly the company behind it) makes things better and is worried more about fixing things and doing things right instead of adding content (broken content btw) all the time, making non sense changes and avoiding customers concerns, then i will think again on being a subscriber. Until then.. nah. Too bad since the game could be great, but a lot of things need to change, and im afraid its a bit late for that.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Unless bought separately you'll loose your EC cap. So all money above 10M EC will be gone. In doubt transfer it to a friend or fleet for the critical period and then buy the cap increase if needed.

Otherwise everything stays. All you'll "loose" is your monthly stipend and free respec tokens and bank slots for new characters.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Unless bought separately you'll loose your EC cap. So all money above 10M EC will be gone. In doubt transfer it to a friend or fleet for the critical period and then buy the cap increase if needed.

Otherwise everything stays. All you'll "loose" is your monthly stipend and free respec tokens and bank slots for new characters.

Not gone... he just won't be able to make more until his EC count drops below 10 mil.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My advice is drop it and buy the lifetime account next time it's on sale.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong I love this game just dont feel its worth 14.99 anymore I still plan on logging in and playing i'll just grind as i already do for stuff. So if anyone knows what I lose or keep please let me know. Thank you.

You may also lose a empty, (or the first empty) character slot for the 'extra' slot that 'Gold' status provides. If you were 'Gold' status before F2P came into effect, this probably doesn't apply, but if you became 'Gold' during F2P, and lose 'Gold' status, you end up with a 'Gold' slot that you owe to Cryptic. And the first one that appears, (either through character deletion, or a purchase of more Character slots from the Z-Store) may disappear to make up this debt...

Because of this, many a player never received' their new Romulan Character slot when the 'Legacy of Romulas' expansion came out..
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it varies cause I didn't lose anything when I was a f2p player for a while due to lack of funds.

My new alts after I went f2p still received their bonuses (re-train tokens, VA ship, etc., etc.,). I didn't have to buy the account bank or ec cap increase either.

But, that may be due to the fact that I joined the game shortly after 2nd Season came out and the game was still pay2play.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You may also lose a empty, (or the first empty) character slot for the 'extra' slot that 'Gold' status provides. If you were 'Gold' status before F2P came into effect, this probably doesn't apply, but if you became 'Gold' during F2P, and lose 'Gold' status, you end up with a 'Gold' slot that you owe to Cryptic. And the first one that appears, (either through character deletion, or a purchase of more Character slots from the Z-Store) may disappear to make up this debt...

You do not loose the extra slot.

I subbed for 1 month and I also bought 2 additional toon slots before cancelling. I currently have 5 toons and one available slot; that means I can have 6 toons in total. F2P players gets 3 slots, subbing for 1 month gets you another slots and I bought the other 2 slots; that 6 slots in total.

If you purchased the EC Cap Remover prior to subbing (like I did), then all the ECs you have remains yours and each toon can have a total of 1 billion ECs. If you did not purchase the EC Cap Remover, then to still keep all your current ECs, but you will not be able to gain any more ECs until your toon drops below 10 million ECs (10 million ECs is the default max). You can purchase the EC Cap Remover at any time.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm a 1000-Day Veteran Silver who bought the expanded EC cap a long time ago. I'll never be Gold again.

And really, I'm not missing out on that much. More money to spend on Zen, and aside from Veteran rewards and the stipend, there's (almost) nothing that Gold gets you that you can't spend Zen (or Dil) to get.

That sub money will be better off saved up for the next Zen sale.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I went LTS a long time ago. the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you all for the reply's if it is just the ec cap I lose thats fine I can buy the upgrade. the stiphen is nice but I could llive without it Not sure if they will take my open charitor slots or not I have been in this game since atari owned it.

But most of all thank you all for seeing this is not a doom thread or I quit thread. To share a little bit of my story with you back in dec 2010 (season 3) had not yet started my journey in sto began when I was forced to retire from work at a young age I might add due to health issue's my wife found this game at the store and bought it for me thinking it might cheer me up and keep me busy. This was and is the only mmo game I play.

Up until season 8 I have never thought of dropping my sub but here latley I have. I cannot tell you how much I love this game but like I said in my first post with the changes and problems I am getting to the point I cannot see supporting cryptic any longer.

Again thank you all for your advice Im still debating I have till sept 4th before my next payment to decide.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    Tthe stiphen is nice but I could llive without it

I'm curious. How much zen do you get a month for what you pay for the stipend and how does it compare to just spending that monthly amount directly on zen?

I think I've spent maybe $50 on STO since f2p. I don't miss the sub.

Edit: I see. You pay $15/month for a stipend of $5 worth of zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]