test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tired of waiting for Assignments to 'Finish'

vizhoniavizhonia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
What is up with the waiting for Doff assignments and R&D to finish? Like 5 to 15 seconds per assignment or research project.

This is getting way tedious and I know it's not required because it didn't used to do this. I used to log in and any assignments that would be done are already done, but now, if I bother doing anything Doffy, I have to spend the first 2 to 4 minutes of my play, after logging in, just waiting for everything to finish...

This 'Finishing' is total BS and an unnecessary waste of time in a game that is already enough of a time sink I reguarly have thoughts of quitting.

PLEASE, undo this change and let me log in to find my stuff already done and waiting, otherwise the time to complete on the assignments should all read "Not till after the next time you log in" because they sure as hell aren't finishing when they are supposed to. I don't want to sit there and just wait for my stuff to finish when Doff assignments, R&D and rep projects are always the first three things I want to do.

If it's the only way to get the point across as to how annoying it is and how it feels from where I'm sitting... It's like you all have added a waiting queue minutes long before you will let me into the game.
Post edited by vizhonia on

Comments

• Options
    joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree that it the waiting sucks, but it's not deal breaking for me. I usually have other things to do while waiting for the DOFF missions to complete.

But I second the idea of letting them complete offline again. It sure would be nice to be able to do Doff stuff quicker when first logging in as opposed to having to wait...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've wanted to post about sending a bill to Cryptic for the increased amount of smoking that I've been doing because of this change. 21 assignments, 4 R&D research...on 9 toons...@5s each, that's ~19 minutes that I spend of each game session just waiting for things to finish.
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've wanted to post about sending a bill to Cryptic for the increased amount of smoking that I've been doing because of this change. 21 assignments, 4 R&D research...on 9 toons...@5s each, that's ~19 minutes that I spend of each game session just waiting for things to finish.

Had to smirk at this one :) The cooldown timers in this game aren't helping my lungs out any either. Four minutes wait on a queue, five minutes wait for next DOff slot to clear... might as well light up. There've been plenty of times I've mumbled to myself about how STO is hazardous to my health ;)
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Amen to this thread. Its tedious in the extreme. Are you guys purposely making everything a time sink/time gate? I do seriously wonder about some of the design decisions being made lately :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lblackmoorlblackmoor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Until I read this I thought this issue was a bug. I should read the notes more carefully.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ...why in the bloody hell would they deliberately change it? This is so clunky and inefficient...

I...what's the the gain/point?
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    ...why in the bloody hell would they deliberately change it? This is so clunky and inefficient...

Clunky and inefficient, wasn't that the design intent of the redesigned Doff UI anyway?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

I think they throttled the system to help with an assignment (KDF - Respond to subordinate challenge) that would not complete in a timely manner and prevent all the following assignments from also completing. I gather from other threads that this wasn't very effective - so now players still get stuck assignments and with the fun, fun two minute wait for any assignments to complete after logging on.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    they throttled the system to help with an assignment (KDF - Respond to subordinate challenge) that would not complete in a timely manner
    Still a lame excuse for borking everyone's DOff completions! At best, this would be a temporary work-around, but instead they are content to break other things instead of fixing the actual problem. This does not bode well for Delta, BTW... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    This does not bode well for Delta, BTW... :(

I've come to dread new seasons in STO. Hey look! Great new features! Unfortunately they don't work quite right and for the next few weeks you are going to have to put up with extended downtimes while we partially fix things that will mostly likely never get fixed in their entirety and break other things in the process.

If this game wasn't Star Trek...
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Might surprise you guys, but...

I find it annoying, too. I don't mind them completing as I log in, but if I'm just logging in to alts just long enough to DOFF the wait is... annoying was the right word.

My assumption is that they either added steps to process the assignments and it's just taking longer, or they throttled it for performance reasons.

Either way, I can live with it for now and I don't need a quick fix. But I sure would like to see less delay per assignment.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »

I find it annoying, too. I don't mind them completing as I log in, but if I'm just logging in to alts just long enough to DOFF the wait is... annoying was the right word.

My assumption is that they either added steps to process the assignments and it's just taking longer, or they throttled it for performance reasons.

Either way, I can live with it for now and I don't need a quick fix. But I sure would like to see less delay per assignment.

Throttled for perfomance??? one of my kdf toons they must have put in park ten of his assignments and his r&d projects will not finish. I thought last week's patch fixed this ??
  • Options
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2014
    The "fix" broke more than it "fixed". The delay is bad enough but some of us haven't been able to doff for over 5 days now.

>_>
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »

The slow doffing is one thing.

Very irritating, an introduced bug, but one I can work around.

The frozen doff missions is another kettle of fish.

Two of my toons now have not been able to progress any R+D at all for nearly a week.

One of those toons does have ten doff slots still open, but the other only one.

That problem is one i feel a tad impatient about.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stevehale wrote: »
    The "fix" broke more than it "fixed". The delay is bad enough but some of us haven't been able to doff for over 5 days now.

>_>

That is how most fixes go with this game. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Alright... This is a game breaker for me.. I have gritted my teeth and put up with lots of TRIBBLE but intentionally putting in minutes worth of wasting time just to get started when I log in is unacceptable.

As far as I am concerned, this is the last straw and I am gone till Doff missions complete when they are supposed to complete instead of not till the next time I log in.

If there is one mission that is bugging out, disable it, but don't break everything for a mission that isn't fixed anyway.

And this time?... Not threatenning up front to not play... No... I already haven't been playing since this change because my mood to play gets ruined the moment I have to wait for Doff assignments to finish.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2014
    I am also tired of this.

Logging in only to wait 1-3 minutes per char to wait for assignments to "finish" one by one, nicely spamming the view screen and preventing you from assigning R&D tasks etc.?

Seriously, this supposed fix for the problems of a few is lacking, it's TRIBBLE up everyone else.

I am pretty sure Cryptic wants to attract new players to STO with the expansion and not to drive most of them away with such annoying issues right after they get to DOFFing.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    Had to smirk at this one :) The cooldown timers in this game aren't helping my lungs out any either. Four minutes wait on a queue, five minutes wait for next DOff slot to clear... might as well light up. There've been plenty of times I've mumbled to myself about how STO is hazardous to my health ;)

Smoking!

Hell what about the radiation poisoning I am getting, from sitting and waiting in front of my computer (wireless), for them to complete?

Oh, and yes, smoking in between waiting too!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is what I would like to see happen:
    1.) Restore the old mechanism for DO assignment and R&D project completion.
    2.) Chain in the new code to check assignments & projects after (1) has completed
    3.) Chain in an escape mechanism to auto complete (success / non-crit) anything that hasn't been processed by (1) or (2).

Note: I contend that giving the user an automatic success (as per #3 above) for the unfortunate few would far outweigh the current hamfisted approach that impacts every person who touches the DO interface.

When 9.5 went live I had no problems whatsoever. I did not know anyone who had any DO or R&D problems. Once the 'fix' went live everyone has to slog through multiple minutes of completions in order to proceed with DOffing and crafting. It is a major downer (negatively impacts my enjoyment of the game) to have to manage my play experience around this 'fix'.

It is not uncommon for me to have 20+ DO assignments waiting in the queue on multiple characters. I am not happy with the current state of the game.
  • Options
    wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    I think they throttled the system to help with an assignment (KDF - Respond to subordinate challenge) that would not complete in a timely manner and prevent all the following assignments from also completing. I gather from other threads that this wasn't very effective - so now players still get stuck assignments and with the fun, fun two minute wait for any assignments to complete after logging on.

Here's an idea they could have tried: just remove that DOFF assignment altogether and restore things.

:mad:
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's an idea they could have tried: just remove that DOFF assignment altogether and restore things.

:mad:

I think they want to avoid the inevitable comments of 'anything that is broken, they just cut out' after the exploration cluster removal.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i think of it as just another timegate :cool:
    less cool is having my research doffs vanishing into the void.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Three weeks... Still not fxed.... I'm done checking back every week... I guess I am on a long hiatus and if in a couple months or so when I give it another shot, if it's still brokn, I guess I'm not playing anymore.

A time gate is exactly what I see this as and exactly why it's unacceptable.. This game has enough time gates already without adding this BS.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I see Cryptic and PWE don't care about lost traffic, players and income. Been 4 weeks now and the Doffs and R&D stuff is still broken - worse than it ever was before.

I'm not playing and as a lifer that has bought into this game quite a bit, I am walking away, with prejudice against Cryptic and PWE and am now to the same position here as I have been with other companies in the past: It gets fixed so that I can play the game I paid to play or neither ever sees a dime of my money again.

It's been a month now that the Doff assignments trickle in over several minutes completely ruining my mood to play the moment I log in. I put up with it for a week. I can't tolerate it anymore so until it's fixed, I am not playing. I am not playing, I am not contributing, I am not generating an income, I am not bringing in new players with my STO twitch stream and I am infact badmouthing your current product and steering potential customers away from it, as currently broken.

I want to be playing, but that means being able to log in and mess with the most important thing to me in the game - The Doffs - without being made to wait for the game to finish what it should (and in the past would have) long since already finished.... I'm not playing this to wait around on the servers, so until this gets fixed, I'm not playing. I'm only showing up once a week to see if it's still broken, which so far it is, and that once a week will eventually become once a month and then not at all.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vizhonia wrote: »
    I see Cryptic and PWE don't care about lost traffic, players and income. Been 4 weeks now and the Doffs and R&D stuff is still broken - worse than it ever was before.

I'm not playing and as a lifer that has bought into this game quite a bit, I am walking away, with prejudice against Cryptic and PWE and am now to the same position here as I have been with other companies in the past: It gets fixed so that I can play the game I paid to play or neither ever sees a dime of my money again.

It's been a month now that the Doff assignments trickle in over several minutes completely ruining my mood to play the moment I log in. I put up with it for a week. I can't tolerate it anymore so until it's fixed, I am not playing. I am not playing, I am not contributing, I am not generating an income, I am not bringing in new players with my STO twitch stream and I am infact badmouthing your current product and steering potential customers away from it, as currently broken.

I want to be playing, but that means being able to log in and mess with the most important thing to me in the game - The Doffs - without being made to wait for the game to finish what it should (and in the past would have) long since already finished.... I'm not playing this to wait around on the servers, so until this gets fixed, I'm not playing. I'm only showing up once a week to see if it's still broken, which so far it is, and that once a week will eventually become once a month and then not at all.
    Give it four years, and then you'll be able to compete with the KDF Diplomacy officer bug...

Their priorities are the game-breaking stuff first, then lesser big stuff, and work their way down all the way to this - no matter how tedious it is, it simply isn't really a big issue per se, technical-wise. Then add in they need to track down the issue exactly/reproduce it (which isn't as easy as it sounds), then come up with a potential fix, test it to see if it works, and repeat if needed. And that's if they're even working on that particular bug - the bigger stuff get the luxury of exclusion-of-all-else, but not necessarily this

Just how things have operated

...and imo, even if it is the most important part of the game to you, getting that upset is a little (lot) overreacting
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That it is still happening is a huge disappointment, that Devs haven't even answered whether or not it's a bug or WAI is just insulting to the playerbase.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This change was deliberate. At least in part a failed attempt to fix the stuck assignements people had (which I believe are by now finally resolved).

I can only hope they see it as a temporary addition (somehow helpful in ultimately squashing the 'stuck assignements' bug) and redo it soon. However it can also be interpreted as a deliberate additional time sink and another recent blow (though small, compared with others) to doffing. In that case, we're screwed as it'll definitely stay.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    That it is still happening is a huge disappointment, that Devs haven't even answered whether or not it's a bug or WAI is just insulting to the playerbase.
    The simple fact remains; many of them are not obligated to answer us at all, but some still do despite the shark-infested forum waters

We simply can't control what they do answer to - so saying the lack of answer is an insult can seem like more self-entitled than anything
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    The simple fact remains; many of them are not obligated to answer us at all, but some still do despite the shark-infested forum waters

We simply can't control what they do answer to - so saying the lack of answer is an insult can seem like more self-entitled than anything

Agreed. Try posting in a Reddit subforum, or in the PvP subforum and you may get an answer.

That said, I don't think its' "Self Entitlement" to ask for clarification of the issue: They put it in out of nowhere, made NO mention of it in patch notes, and we are stuck with it. It is a GENUINE QoL issue that literally, takes away an additional 5 seconds of our lives x20 on average. It may not seem like much, but it adds up quickly. I think it's more than appropriate to ask STRONGLY if this is WAI now, or just an issue they are working on.
    T93uSC8.jpg