test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vesta completely out classes the Orb Weaver

sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Federation Discussion
This is a primarily PvE discussion.

For the sake of this discussion, I comparing the Orb Weaver against the Rademaker due to them both having the same Console layout. Obivously the Aventine is better than both of these guys if you're looking for a more tactical role.

So why do I think the Vesta outclasses the Orb Weaver?

Offense

The Orb Weaver has 3 fore / 3 aft while the Vesta has 3 fore / 3 aft and a hanger bay. Hanger bays in many cases increase damage more than a single weapon slot. Why doesn't the Orb Weaver have a hanger bay? It's a T5.5 lockbox ship.

Even more so, why can't they spawn Terran ships much like the NPC Orb Weavers can? That would be a cool feature as long as it's not "on destruction" like the NPC variant.

The Orb Weaver does contain the Tholian Web Console, howeer The Vesta also has access to the Quantum Field Focus Phaser.

Oh did I mention the Vesta can slot Dual Cannons?

Boff Seating
There doesn't seem to be much difference between Boff Seating on the Vesta and the Orb Weaver besides one critical point - The Vesta has one more potential tac slot than the Orb Weaver. This allows the Vesta to run 2x TT / 2x FAW / 1x APB which is critical for maximizing DPS. At the most the Orb Weaver can only run 2xTT / 2x FAW which isn't a bad trade off for a Lt. Cmdr Eng Slot.

Also, I don't like the fact that the Lt. Cmdr Universal basically forces you to use it for Tac because of the poor Tac choices. Perhaps if that Lt Cmdr Eng was swapped for an Ens Tac we would have a really unique ship being able to have 2x Lt. Cmdr Tac and Cmdr Sci.

The Vesta also has a Ensign Universal, while the Orb Weaver has a Ensign Sci. No bid deal here, but it just prevents build variety (Even Lt Tac / Ens Tac would make the Weaver much better in PVE)

Other thoughts

The Vesta has a higher turn rate sacrificing hull and shield stats. This is pretty unimportant. It also gets access to Aux DHCs (Orb Weaver has Thermonic Torpedos), which are pretty good, but don't make or break anything.
Post edited by sdkraust on

Comments

• dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2014
    The Vesta has long been considered one of the best Sci Vessels in the game. (Some debate on what is the best but it's either this or the Wells)

For $25 or 2500 Zen one gets a Fleet equivalent adaptable little ship, that can do many roles well.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Vesta has long been considered one of the best Sci Vessels in the game. (Some debate on what is the best but it's either this or the Wells)

For $25 or 2500 Zen one gets a Fleet equivalent adaptable little ship, that can do many roles well.

Hell all 3 of the vestas are good at about any role. I have the Actual Sci vesta and it can do the tactical role pretty damn good. Eventhough I have it specced for the sci role, it can still toss out a lot of damage plus team mates love the fact I can sit there and when there is a big group toss out GW2 and trap everybody for CSV, then turn around and hit the big boys with TR2.

All 3 vestas, are damn fine ships. Plus it's lovely when you can slot 2 Aux cannons and a torp up front, be slamming away with sci abilities and full on rapid fire on those aux cannons and watch your aux power never drop under 100.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Hell all 3 of the vestas are good at about any role. I have the Actual Sci vesta and it can do the tactical role pretty damn good. Eventhough I have it specced for the sci role, it can still toss out a lot of damage plus team mates love the fact I can sit there and when there is a big group toss out GW2 and trap everybody for CSV, then turn around and hit the big boys with TR2.

All 3 vestas, are damn fine ships. Plus it's lovely when you can slot 2 Aux cannons and a torp up front, be slamming away with sci abilities and full on rapid fire on those aux cannons and watch your aux power never drop under 100.
    Which is a bit unfair compared to regular weapons which drain weapon power, just saying.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Which is a bit unfair compared to regular weapons which drain weapon power, just saying.

The Vesta cannons do drain aux power in the same amount a standard DHC drains weapon power.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    The Vesta cannons do drain aux power in the same amount a standard DHC drains weapon power.

Supposedly, I don't think they do, however I'm only running 2 of those up front so I guess it's not as much of a drain as trying to run 8 cannons.

But it's funny the way I have my vesta setup:

2 aux cannons & borg torp up front

360 AP array, 180 deg qunatum and breen cluster torp, my power almost never fluctuates. Though at some point with that toon I'll get the omega high enough so I pull out the breen launcher for the kinetic cutting beam.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love my vesta pack its my best buy from the c-store ive been useing it since the 2nd day it came out. I think part of the reason they made it so good was because they had to buy the rights to use it unlike the other ships in this game. They wont it to keep selling unlike a lot of ships that sell for a few mths then people point out its floors e,g DSD n move on to a new ship pr older one like kar'fi thats stood the test of time.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2014

As a well's owner I consider the Vesta to be the better ship.
  • arkatdtarkatdt Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

The exact wording is: -12 Auxiliary power when firing other Auxiliary weapons.

So does that mean if you fire no other auxiliary based weapons, there is no power drain? So the first one you get for no drain, but you add another Auxiliary weapon, this one now drains 12?
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have flown every ship in the game and the Vesta class ships take the number two position. First place to the Fleet Excelsior. I like the tactical version of the Vesta class. I wish the hull on these ships was a little higher, but all around its a great design.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's why I'm saying it should be buffed in some way. The Gal-X was one of the best ships of its time and had to be buffed to compete. The Orb Weaver is a T5.5 Lockbox ship and is the weakest of the Lockbox ships - which are generally harder to acquire than Zen ships.

And I had already thought about comparing the JHEC to the Orb Weaver as they're very similar in that their siblings are zen ships.

Your arguments is that "It's old so it sucks" which is a completely valid argument.
    My argument is that "It's old so it should be put in line" which doesn't interfere with your argument.

That and the fact that both the D'Kora and Galor have features that make them desirable (Galor has Spiral Waves which IMO aren't that great anymore but they're still good because they're relatively cheap) and the D'Kora has a bank, exchange, ect. which make it unique.

The Orb Weaver has absolutely nothing except a really cool Bridge and design that I wish I could use more often but I can find no reason to use this ship.

Also the Orb Weaver wishes it could be as awesome as the Wells which has a better Shield, Turn Rate and Boff Seatting.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Another thread about making a ship an OP'd tactical based monstrosity. The Vesta is a very well balanced ship, no matter which one you pick up. There's too many players who aren't willing to put the time and effort in to make a ship work for them, and instead would rather see them all made to suit them. If it doesn't have a ltcomm tac slot at least, and 3 tac consoles, they don't even consider using it. And this one wants to have 2 ltcomm tac stations? Oh, it'll be unique alright, in that it will be the most popular ship around. This game has fallen to far into a dps mindset, and I don't even blame the devs. I blame the players who made it this way.

People claim the game is dying. While this is far from the truth, its true that the PvP area is out of control. Think about it. What do you see when you actually enter a match? All I ever see are ludicrously fast ships with firepower that just shouldn't be possible, and avoidance that makes all but accx3 weapons damn near useless. And again, its the players who have brought this about. There's so much focus on maxing out the raw power of a ship that every other aspect is tossed aside as being useless. Instead of asking for yet another OP'd tactical piece of garbage, we should be asking for more competitive sci and eng based ships and abilities. Increase the effectiveness of eng and sci abilities above Lt grade, and make the so-called useless ships able to keep up with the tac based nightmares, but in their own way.
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Hell all 3 of the vestas are good at about any role. I have the Actual Sci vesta and it can do the tactical role pretty damn good.

When I say Vesta I mean any of the 3, I don't know each ships name. Just to be clear.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
    edited August 2014
    When I say Vesta I mean any of the 3, I don't know each ships name. Just to be clear.

Figured as much, I have the sci Vesta and still I tried it out one time with my Tac officer for craps and grins, did amazingly well with the ship.
    afMSv4g.jpg