test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Facepalm is strong with this one.

voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
I just checked on my foundry missions, and Crimes of The Many, the fourth and most recent mission in my main story chain, had the following comment:

"i'm sorry. it is evident a lot of work went into this, but typos, odd wording, and a story i have no clue about just made this a muddy mess."

First off, I don't think they know the first thing about correcting typos. And for the real facepalmer, they blatantly ignored the yellow line of text at the grant dialogue saying "This mission is a sequel to Time's Eye." Of course they left 1 star, I would expect as much from someone who can't even be bothered to read. I was laughing pretty hard at this comment.

Anyone else had any epic fail or otherwise hilarious comments? No names though, that's against the rules.
I ask nothing but that you remember me.
Post edited by voporak on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A guy gave me a one star on Perfection, part 1 because he could not beat a single group of mobs.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So even the best Foundry missions will get one stars and players who "don't get it," (I've certainly had a few head scratchers) but I don't think shaming their comments on the forums is the way to go. It only invites us to descend to their level.
    edited August 2014
    If people said their names it would be shaming.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    edited August 2014
    I often get a lot of reviews that while high in rating, make me scratch my head sometimes.

These reviews are generally, "Very good mission, but a few typos/sentences need work.'"

Okay, that's great. Thanks for telling me. But how can I fix something that I do not even know the location of?

Sometimes, details would really be nice.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I often get a lot of reviews that while high in rating, make me scratch my head sometimes.

These reviews are generally, "Very good mission, but a few typos/sentences need work.'"

Okay, that's great. Thanks for telling me. But how can I fix something that I do not even know the location of?

I liked the "EDWIN" one.
    edited August 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I liked the "EDWIN" one.

Yea..I remember that.

Got 5 stars on a mission and all the guy said was EDWIN.

Nothing else..
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is still one of my favourite reviews http://i.imgur.com/eIoR8.jpg
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You can't hold this against people, the review character limit is too low to really point out any specific issues. I've tried in the past. Not to mention, it's one thing to notice issues, it's entirely another to make note of where they are, how to reproduce them, etc. That takes me from being a player to being your tester/editor, and I didn't load up your mission for that.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It has been an observation of mine, and many others, that there are LOT of players (read: people in general) who lack the attention span to actually read anything. In fact, if whatever is written contains anything more than the pointless acronym 'lol', you've lost them.

Not an STO problem.
    edited August 2014
    You can't hold this against people, the review character limit is too low to really point out any specific issues. I've tried in the past. Not to mention, it's one thing to notice issues, it's entirely another to make note of where they are, how to reproduce them, etc. That takes me from being a player to being your tester/editor, and I didn't load up your mission for that.

An author is never going to be able to find every error. It is up to the players to help as well. There is also a thing called email.

So the review character limit cannot really be used as an appropriate excuse.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The best review I've ever received was something along the lines of "meh it was okay" and a 4 star review.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There was one a while ago. "It has my approval." I thought, "I don't need your approval!" :D
    edited August 2014
    The best review I've ever received was something along the lines of "meh it was okay" and a 4 star review.

4 seems generous for "meh."

You know what;'s even better though?

"This was an amazing mission and the best I had ever played."

One star ^
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "To many spelling mitakes"

1 star
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    4 seems generous for "meh."

You know what;'s even better though?

"This was an amazing mission and the best I had ever played."

One star ^
    Maybe they thought one star was the highest rating :P
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I got some ridiculously bad reviews for a mission of mine specifically made so I could make screenshots for the wiki. It said FOR SCREENSHOOTS in big friendly letters on the description :rolleyes:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    "To many spelling mitakes"

1 star

Not sure what to say to this LOL.
  • mignardemignarde Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I won't complain of my 2 comments...a negative one would be welcome so my project could go out of review...

On a side note there should be a spoiler tag for the comments but I realize that's very low priority.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wasn't this a topic on the Foundry Roundtable a while back? I believe the guest on that episode referred to putting such reviews on the "rhymes-with-duck off" pile.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "lousy a****** you are" (translated from german). Why? Well, let's say I tried to build a farm mission. Was kind of ineffective what I've built though :D
    No, it's not published anymore :-P

Ah, and somebody told me that he wasn't able to find the starting location for a mission. Well, I had mentioned Brea-System (or better say Khellian, because Brea doesn't have a starting point) and the system you had to go to was Pico. But, to defend myself, I had big bold letters everywhere saying "Mission published for testing purposes, location is wrong"...
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Wasn't this a topic on the Foundry Roundtable a while back? I believe the guest on that episode referred to putting such reviews on the "rhymes-with-duck off" pile.

I'm sure we've talked about it a couple times by now. Reviews are a big part of a Foundry author's life.

Way back when the Foundry first started I wrote a blog post with some amusing examples, which has remained relevant: http://wp.me/p3Sxid-3le

Maybe a good topic to discuss on the Roundtable would be "Knowing that there is limited space in the review window, what would you like to have reviewers say? What info can they put there that is useful to you?"
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Maybe a good topic to discuss on the Roundtable would be "Knowing that there is limited space in the review window, what would you like to have reviewers say? What info can they put there that is useful to you?"

I think something along the lines of:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to create new content for us to play, I did notice a couple of things which I have put in an email to you.

Would asking for all their Dill be too much? :rolleyes:
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dariuskoronikovdariuskoronikov Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    what really gets me is I state in the text I am dyslexsic so Imay not have seen a typo..as a typo and stuff, still get the spelling TRIBBLE hating on the mission (never mind the work gone into it ) cos of the spelling

I've had someone tell me "would make more sense if they were romulan republic not imperial"..erm..no..it wouldn't and besides whos writing the story?

enemies too easy/hard.. maybe theres a legit reason for the degree of difficulty if you followed the story

or my fav.. YOU get marked down cos of a fault thats on cryptics side..the best being away eam mapping, some places they can get stuck..others they won't follow

mark me down for a fault of mine yes.. not for one inherit in the game/map
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a funny bit of a review I want to share. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact phrasing and I can't access STO at the moment but I will re-create it to my best ability.

The following section was added on to a generally positive review.

"(And anyway, how powerful did you make that substance? I beamed it aboard and it totally crashed my system forcing a reboot. It was eery.)"

As far as unspecific "needs typo fixes" comments. There is nothing that says the author has to be the passive one in it. On various occassions when I've noticed generic "has typos/needs spelling fixes" reviews. I've used the ingame mail system to ask if they remember what needed fixing.

The worst that can happen is that they forget, but they do see that you take typos seriously but they can in better circumstances give you information that if not directs you to where they are. Provides information to help you locate it.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

When I do a detail review, I leave a brief pro/con rundown on the in-game review (as detailed as I can fit) with a note to visit the forums for the full story.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

The **** off box - anything that makes no sense, is one word or you can't do anything about goes into it. On the other side, should always pay attention to anything that can be used for constructive improvement - even if it lacks details like where the typos are. Expecting people to point them all out to you is a bit much, not everyone is willing to do an SPG check on every mission they play. Sometimes they just notice one and continue playing which for me I'd prefer as if you get out a notepad and jot down spelling mistakes, it rather breaks any immersion you may have got going.

I've had people annoyed at too little combat in a noncombat mission, can't seem to navigate and just reply with "meh". Last one is a **** off and you'd think the first two are but you firstly - can you make it any clearer what the mission is? If yes, try that. If not, **** off. If one person gets lost, a second might - try to find a way to signpost it better, even if it breaks immersion a bit. Also- replay it. I found a few people getting lost more on one mission because that is when the map markers for doors stopped showing up, replaying it when I saw two people say they were lost let me see those markers had gone so I had to simplify and alert until the markers come back. Even where it is a foundry limitation, someone don't know the limitations so if you want to watch your star ratings, its good to find some way to let them know before they mark you down on it.

Even with "To many spelling mitakes" - yes they've littered it with their own, but does that make the criticism of yours less relevant? If a problem breaks immersion, it is a problem no matter how that is conveyed to you so facepalm to the person, but not the issue. I've taken to doing my next mission in US English to stop people pointing out UK spelling as an error (a massive climb down for me).
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    a few tips if you worry about typos misspellings...and i don't get why you don't do this already.

run all text you're going to use through a spellchecker of some sort, notepad++ is free and has a plugin also free that provides checking.

i mean, don't you people even bother to plan out what you're going to do BEFORE you commit it to the foundry? layout the script, any dialogue, triggers and locations all before getting into creating it in the foundry?

another tip, bashing on players who actually took the time to play your missions...yeah, that really makes me want to play what you create.

and finally, thick skin required. no matter how good you think you are, you won't appeal to everyone, or even a lot of people at times. you perception of what is good or great may not mesh with others. deal with it. putting what you do up to public plaudits or ridicule means you should be ready to accept gracefully whatever comes.

to think that you only deserve rewards means you have a seriously overblown ego. if that's the case, get over yourself.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    edited August 2014
    a few tips if you worry about typos misspellings...and i don't get why you don't do this already.

run all text you're going to use through a spellchecker of some sort, notepad++ is free and has a plugin also free that provides checking.

i mean, don't you people even bother to plan out what you're going to do BEFORE you commit it to the foundry? layout the script, any dialogue, triggers and locations all before getting into creating it in the foundry?

another tip, bashing on players who actually took the time to play your missions...yeah, that really makes me want to play what you create.

and finally, thick skin required. no matter how good you think you are, you won't appeal to everyone, or even a lot of people at times. you perception of what is good or great may not mesh with others. deal with it. putting what you do up to public plaudits or ridicule means you should be ready to accept gracefully whatever comes.

to think that you only deserve rewards means you have a seriously overblown ego. if that's the case, get over yourself.
    Some people's writing process works as they go. Some pre-plan, some can create a masterpiece as they go. Everyone is different.To ignore that is a flaw in your argument.

I fail to see who is bashing anyone. The ones bashing would be the people who leave troll comments on a foundry mission.

There's a difference between criticism and just being stupid.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some people's writing process works as they go. Some pre-plan, some can create a masterpiece as they go. Everyone is different.To ignore that is a flaw in your argument.

I fail to see who is bashing anyone. The ones bashing would be the people who leave troll comments on a foundry mission.

There's a difference between criticism and just being stupid.

and there's that ego...masterpiece? really? in your own mind. i did state that what you think is great or a masterpeice...might not suit everyone, you ignored that bit. and planning is important, on the fly is for amateurs, too lazy to work everything out beforehand so it all meshes with no flaws.

prepare, spellcheck/bugcheck, create the mission, and spellcheck/bugcheck again. that way you know 100% everything will work as you intended.

you also missed the bit about thick skin, which also applies to not everyone likes what you do. it's a fact, what you might consider the greatest thing since the illiad...others might see as utter TRIBBLE. fact. learn to deal with it or continually be angry.

obvious troll reviews are obvious, and should be ignored, no reason to even be bothered by them, unless you're the type that cries over every little thing. reviews that point out spelling mistakes, continuity errors, grammar flaws, should be heeded. as correcting those things make any mission more enjoyable if you don't have to puzzle out wth someones saying or why they're doing what they're doing.

for continuous episodic missions, a refresher or brief dialogue suggesting they play the precursor(s) first, or can choose to read a synopsis of what has gone before, that would prevent some confusion of players running your missions out of order.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    edited August 2014
    And that is what we are discussing here, troll comments.

That's the whole point of this thread is to discuss those wacky troll comments some people post.