test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Since the news of Delta Rising I have logged on only 2 times

spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
And both times was less that 5 minutes. Aside from real life issues I just have had very little incentive to log on. With all the changes coming I just don't feel like investing any time until I know what's what. I really think that their slow release of important info such as the changes to the ship and upgrade process is going to have a huge downdraft on the game until the news is out.

Anyone else feel the same?

I still have high hopes for Expansion 2 - but without info - I just think I will sit out on the sidelines and wait.

My 20+ T5 c store ships I am not overly concerned about - but the 15 lock box ships that I own - if they are not made to the same level as the new lock-box ships - well I may seriously decide to give STO a pass - and that makes me sad.:(
Post edited by spacebaronline on

Comments

• Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Spacebaronline, you are not alone in your apprehension.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think most people get bored from time to time, but I wouldn't worry too much about the changes just yet. We don't properly know what they are, nor how they're truly going to effect us. What were you doing before the mention of Delta Rising? Just continue doing that and worry about Delta Rising problems if/when they occur.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I find that I always cut back my playtime in any game right before a major patch/expansion. Sometimes I'll play to "get ready" for it, but more often than not I just chill out and see what comes down the line.

Right now I just log in and run some doff missions. No point in continuing to outfit my ships with fleet/rep gear at the moment. I'm not really worried though, I'm sure my playtime will pick right back up when the expansion hits. This is pretty much normal procedure for me.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thats funny I've logged in a lot more myself. :) i want to get all my reps done on my toons and make as much ec i can from Mat Farming. :)
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thats funny I've logged in a lot more myself. :) i want to get all my reps done on my toons and make as much ec i can from Mat Farming. :)

Yeah, news of expansions with big changes makes me want to get active to prepare - stockpile Dil & Zen, gather mats, level up alts, etc.
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, you are not alone!
    (Would not mind a CE Event as "occupational therapy", while everything else *may* become useless, Dilithium does not)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've got dil to refine. I could also use some event that will get me a bunch of "choice-of" mark boxes, fortunately it looks like there's a mark bonus in three weeks and a shuttle event in a month. Between the two I should be able to get my farmer alts to T5 everything before the expansion. And... then I'll have more dil to refine.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I often wonder if people put as much intensity into their real lives as they do this imaginary game world. :)

The Expansion Pack is still 2+ months away. People have 2 months to get their emotions together. Try gamers' therapy. It is only $200.00 an hour. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been logging in alot just to get my rep done and catch up on all the latest content as I have yet to even go to the dyson sphere lol. I am concerned about ships and gear though. I have both xindi ships and a cell ship waiting to be unpacked but I'm hesitant as I'm not sure if they will be upgraded before there opened or if I'll have to upgrade them myself at some point regardless.

No point in buying rep or fleet gear until we know more details and my plans to buy a fleet ship are on hold for the next 3 weeks until the dev blogs start rolling out with upgrade info.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You may be bored normally. It happens regardless of upcoming things. I suggest stepping back for a little bit. Find another game to play, then return with a fresh mind set.

I would recommend DCUO and NW as potential side games to play.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've also been trying to complete some content. Got NWS on all my toons (powercreep made it possible to beat NWS with RA mirror ships), now trying to get some DOFFing done on a couple of them, tweak some builds, etc. Only do some PVP at night when the queues are full. Otherwise most of my gametime is being spent in other games.

If I have to start over, I will start over somewhere else that has an end-game worth building for.
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And both times was less that 5 minutes. Aside from real life issues I just have had very little incentive to log on. With all the changes coming I just don't feel like investing any time until I know what's what. I really think that their slow release of important info such as the changes to the ship and upgrade process is going to have a huge downdraft on the game until the news is out.

(

Indeed. In no way do I want to know everything but knowing where we stand is something I and many players need to know. Until I do, my playtime has dwindled slightly out of caution.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I still have high hopes for Expansion 2 - but without info - I just think I will sit out on the sidelines and wait.

My 20+ T5 c store ships I am not overly concerned about - but the 15 lock box ships that I own - if they are not made to the same level as the new lock-box ships - well I may seriously decide to give STO a pass - and that makes me sad.:(

cryptic doesn't seem to want people to play more than a few minutes a day for some reason.
    It seems to be on purpose since they time gate everything.
    Don't expect it to change.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Don't take this a major "doom - I hate the game thread and I give up" - Really when I think about it - if I could never play the game again I would be 1000% happy with my return on investment. I have spent about $400 US on STO and gotten about 4000 hrs of play time. That's only about 10 cents per hour - a real entertainment bargin:D

I only wish that Cryptic was not so inept in their PR. No matter what the changes with Delta Rising - baring any Real life priorities I will always give it a try. How they handle the ship matter will be the thing which will determine if I stay or not.

Despite STO's bugs and Cryptic's short-comings - this is still a very good game. Most of us would not be here complaining or prasing if we did not in some part love this game.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    Finished my reps casually on the alts for the dilithium and because BZ and sponsorship make it hilariously easy to do so (5 minutes for 65 marks with daily). Apart from that I enjoy the occasional PvP fest ... and that's it.

I am saying NO to all future grinds unless they take the shape of reps. It is shocking really. Back in the bad old days of NO sponsorship and Romulan PvE grind fest missions ... I found rep to be the worst part of STO. Now it is the best.

This is getting scary ...
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, the feeling when you suddenly realize that if you play now, you will only retreat stuff you already did before, but if the expansion is there, there will be a lot of new missions to play...

Terrible problem to have.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    No, you are not alone!
    (Would not mind a CE Event as "occupational therapy", while everything else *may* become useless, Dilithium does not)

I would second that, the problem is of course I asked for that so many times over the last 8 months I`ve given up all hope that we will ever see another CE event, the worst part for me is I have a CE event project on my rom character and only need two shards to finish and cant see myself ever getting them. :(

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm only logging in for 20 minutes each day to do some "maintenance". Slotting of R&D projects, some doff missions, that's it. I don't blame the new expanision for it, at least not directly. I blame the lack of information. I'm just not in the least motivated to grind for anything if I don't know what will happen to it when the new expansion goes live. Lockbox and c-store ships, reputation gear, all this might be obsolete or hardly competitive in 2 months.

In fact what does competitive mean? Our current ships will be competitive to Tier 6 ships but won't have any of the new abilities. To me that results in Tier 5 ships having compearable shield and hull strengh but lack abilities which might (or might not) make a huge difference.

So as long as don't know if my current effort will be worth anything in 2 months I won't invest much time into the game. I know dilithium and zen are always safe investements but I'm just not that motivated to grind for any of them without having a designated target, a specific ship or some gear I want in mind.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At the risk of stepping on a few toes here, it sounds as if the prospect of being downgraded to 'competitive' is the most excitement most of you have had with this game in years. Worrying though it may be for the viability of your prized investments.

I would advise you not to think on it too much at all. When the time comes, either Cryptic's new range of purchasables will compel you to upgrade or they won't, either way the more important question you should be concerned with is whether or not you want to risk investing more time playing a game that doesn't have a space for you to grow in. To develop and apply new strategies to solve new problems in new ways, and not simply by slapping on a sidegrade module on your two year old loadout.

If you are happy with that reality, then there is nothing anyone here can really say to console you. For the sake of your enjoyment, you had better hope there are enough people willing to remain in that stagnant space (and pay for it).

Frankly, I hope this level cap wipes the slate with the current status quo of gear, loadouts and ships, if only because I do see this as a game and not an inconsequential themepark. I'm not trying to shoot down the way any of you want to enjoy STO, but I can't see how it can gel with my own desire, short of the clear olive branch Cryptic have given on how T5+lobi will remain competitive. To me, this means Cryptic is forced to compromise on what makes a game a game, namely by watering down the challenge. But that's okay. I'm willing to take a little growth over any stagnation.

Regards,
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I have to say I too have been grinding more, both in the undine gear on my main and the rep on my klink, I want to get it out of the way as I hate the undine battlezone for a couple of reasons.
    Ive also been slowly hoarding dil-zen, not much at this point but by release should be enough for at least something.
    And grinding away for doffs for my main fleets long doffing grind to tier V.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2014

well, after investing time and money grinding characters and equipment to the "top Level" , suddenly it's necessary to re-invest all over again and spend all the money again, time and work.

so, a player might ask himself if it's worth to have all the work again, and spend all the money again.

if it's to have all the work again, might as well start on a different new game.

a game friend used to tell me that sto game starts at LVL 50 and everything betwin, is only a waste of time.

now, with increasing things to level 60, they want to make me wast more 10 levels time per alt and i might not feel up to have to grind all they're equipment and levels and ships and all of that.

so, if it's just to make us grind more senseless stuff, isn't worth it.

they better come up with stuff that is really worth and give us a good reason to want to level it up.
  • Options
    bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In two months you could stockpile yourself so much its incredible. If you start preparing yourself, when the expansion comes and when you hit lvl 60, you will be so prepared that you wont need any grindig at all.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In two months you could stockpile yourself so much its incredible. If you start preparing yourself, when the expansion comes and when you hit lvl 60, you will be so prepared that you wont need any grindig at all.

on 30 alts ? :D
  • Options
    playingthefoolplayingthefool Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Folks let's get something out in the air very quickly, akin to ripping off a bandaid. ANYONE that complains here has little to no effect on Cryptic or PWE whatsoever, the reason for this is that the people that actually comment or frequent the forums are by far the minority in their games as is true with ANY game. It is a sad fact that there is never a majority of players that give a rat's *ss about what is posted here or about the new items/skills/expansion till it hit's live. In addition another unfortunate truth is that anyone that comes to the forums and raises a stink is most often viewed simply as a petulant child who has not got the specific toy he wants, it was the wrong color etc. The best way for you to get more info or more detailed info is to come to a consensus and have multiple individuals make the EXACT same post politely asking that the community voted questions be answered. Also if you would like to give even more credence to your concerns begin various polls and ask people in game to please go vote via straw poll or some such on the most often sought answers to Delta Rising questions. Quite frankly I'm sure that the Devs are tired of hearing you few individuals(and yes the only ones complaining are by far the lowest minority of STO players who are more concerned with their 1337 status than in actually playing the game) threaten to quit playing. Essentially if you complainers quit it would save the Devs from having to sort through your hateful, whining posts to find posts from actual fans who are helping provide USEFUL feedback and suggestions(useful feedback does not constitute saying I will not pay another dime if this occurs, because that automatically puts you in the "We'd rather this guy leave ASAP" column as you are no longer a bankable source of income at that point. If you want them to pay any attention to you at all be polite, and make sure they know you LIKE paying them. In the end all WE are is a source of income. Remember businesses don't stay profitable just because they make their customers every wish come true. They are profitable when people pay CONTINUOUSLY which means new shinies must come out and must be a cash draw which means there will assuredly be a better ship than you currently have or gear you have right around the corner. AT ALL TIMES, get used to it or move on.
    Let the butthurt commence
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Indeed. In no way do I want to know everything but knowing where we stand is something I and many players need to know. Until I do, my playtime has dwindled slightly out of caution.

It has baffled me as to why they would make such a huge announcement only to utterly fail with details or explanations on the bomb they dropped in Vegas. One would think they haven't forgotten how people left in rather substantial numbers last time this happened, when they raised the level cap and introduced Fleet Ships.

Yes there are far more players now than there were back then, but a lot of the players from that time period left, just as many are threatening to do now.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that they actually didn't have any specific ideas in mind at the time of the announcement and are watching the forums to see what people are fearing and what people are hoping for.

While cruel and bringing to mind the studies of Stanley Milgram from back in the 60's, there *is* a degree of credit to something like this when you think about it.

Making a generalized statement about large scale changes in a core mechanic gets the community active and involved. From watching the forums one can gather a wealth of knowledge and get a good idea of what exactly would and would not fly with the players.

Case and point, how long was it after the announcement that they came out and said the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship was one of the ships that's going to be upgraded to Tier 6?
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    ravancheravanche Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Folks let's get something out in the air very quickly, akin to ripping off a bandaid.

*snip*

Well said, sir. Well said indeed.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With all the changes coming I just don't feel like investing any time until I know what's what.

I've never let not knowing what's what prevent me from making bad investments in STO...
    Hell, I've never let knowing what's what prevent me from making bad investments in STO.
  • Options
    solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nynik wrote: »
    At the risk of stepping on a few toes here, it sounds as if the prospect of being downgraded to 'competitive' is the most excitement most of you have had with this game in years. Worrying though it may be for the viability of your prized investments.

I would advise you not to think on it too much at all. When the time comes, either Cryptic's new range of purchasables will compel you to upgrade or they won't, either way the more important question you should be concerned with is whether or not you want to risk investing more time playing a game that doesn't have a space for you to grow in. To develop and apply new strategies to solve new problems in new ways, and not simply by slapping on a sidegrade module on your two year old loadout.

If you are happy with that reality, then there is nothing anyone here can really say to console you. For the sake of your enjoyment, you had better hope there are enough people willing to remain in that stagnant space (and pay for it).

Frankly, I hope this level cap wipes the slate with the current status quo of gear, loadouts and ships, if only because I do see this as a game and not an inconsequential themepark. I'm not trying to shoot down the way any of you want to enjoy STO, but I can't see how it can gel with my own desire, short of the clear olive branch Cryptic have given on how T5+lobi will remain competitive. To me, this means Cryptic is forced to compromise on what makes a game a game, namely by watering down the challenge. But that's okay. I'm willing to take a little growth over any stagnation.

Regards,

So I take it you won't be asking us to vote STO for the number one MMO of 2014, even if we don't really think it is? ;)
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014