test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I tried installing ARC and they dumped a lot of spyware onto my machine.. ???

kasmar45fkasmar45f Member Posts: 5 Arc User
A few months ago I tried installing ARC and they dumped a lot of spyware onto my machine. This does not seem very professional to me. At the time I had the old Cryptic login app and I was able to login to StarTrek with that, bypassing ARC. I no longer have that optiion, so I guess I am going to have to install ARC, but if I get anything else except ARC loaded on my machine I am going straight to MMORPG and let everyone know what happened.
Post edited by kasmar45f on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,366 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I think Steam is still a viable option as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kasmar45f wrote: »
    A few months ago I tried installing ARC and they dumped a lot of spyware onto my machine. This does not seem very professional to me. At the time I had the old Cryptic login app and I was able to login to StarTrek with that, bypassing ARC. I no longer have that optiion, so I guess I am going to have to install ARC, but if I get anything else except ARC loaded on my machine I am going straight to MMORPG and let everyone know what happened.

LOL, sorry dude but ARC doesnt do sypware, this is a coincedence, if you had pando media booster installed from way back, that could TRIBBLE with things
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think Steam is still a viable option as well.

that it is
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    remember the days when you didnt need to use arc or steam to play STO, only to open up another launcher to donwload and play.

oh and when it ws said we would never need to download arc to play STO.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014

Dude, Arc is clean. I have it on my machine since the promo but I don't use it. It's not more spyware than Steam or Origin...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • rondorarondora Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Arc didn't do that, your surfing habits or those of others who have access to your system did that.

If ARC was responsible the forums would have been alight with some seriously ticked off people(more so than they are now with X2)
    edited August 2014
    rondora wrote: »
    Arc didn't do that, your surfing habits or those of others who have access to your system did that.

If ARC was responsible the forums would have been alight with some seriously ticked off people(more so than they are now with X2)

*cough* dont watch adult videos *cough*
  • kasmar45fkasmar45f Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Okay,, this time it worked okay.. I already have Steam account. I didn't know I could get to STO from Steam.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I still have the old launcher and will continue to use it till they pry it from my cold dead hands! (or just make so I can't use it anymore. Whatev's)

I got myself the arc rewards by logging in on my bf's laptop. :D
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • rondorarondora Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *cough* dont watch adult videos *cough*

What about hamster on hamster action? i hear that might be still safe for now
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,366 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I started with a physical copy of STO. Now I have a Steam copy as well, which still recognizes my Collector's Edition code.

And I got the Khan outfit by logging in on a friend's computer. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A few months ago I tried installing ARC and they dumped a lot of spyware onto my machine.

[Citation Needed]
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    [Citation Needed]

ignore, edited for being rud
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    grtiggy wrote: »
    remember the days when you didnt need to use arc or steam to play STO, only to open up another launcher to donwload and play.

oh and when it ws said we would never need to download arc to play STO.

One reason I'm glad I have a CD of STO from launch. Can just reinstall from that (and then do massive patch) and avoid ARC.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm really glad that I still use the old launcher. :P
    One reason I'm glad I have a CD of STO from launch. Can just reinstall from that (and then do massive patch) and avoid ARC.

I have that too! :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014

If you have a lot of spyware on your machine, it didn't come from installing ARC.

The only thing that installs with ARC, is ARC... when you run ARC the only thing that launches is ARC. It does launch a browser component as a child process, but in my own investigations the only thing this component is is the part which pulls web content for display in ARC (it's basically a "client" for the PWE/ARC games site, and the content it displays is pulled from the PWE/ARC website).
    edited August 2014
    Same here. (not the boyfriend bit)

I don't know why people are pretending they can't still use the old Launcher.

Even with ARC it installs the game and the old launcher... it's possible to even launch teh old launcher without using ARC even if you installed ARC.

And people aren't pretending that they can't still use the old launcher...... pretending assumes that they actually kjnow and comprehend and then just play along with the opposite as an act. 20+ years in IT has taught me the average user is a driveling idiot..... and trust me, this doesn't change when someone becomes some semblance of a "gamer".... They're not pretending.... they just don't grasp the concept.
    edited August 2014
    Hey now. I'm a blithering idiot where computer software/hardware is concerned. I. Do. Not. Drivel.

I humbly and politely worship the gods of IT and follow their words of wisdom to the letter. And afterwards I thank them profusely for assisting me and not using their awesome powers to use my computer to open a wormhole to the center of a black hole and obliterate me for being stupid. :D

I said average.... there is a large disparity. For example I'm fairly certain that if I were to ask you to press your space bar on your keyboard, that the next thing our of your mouth would not be "Where is the space bar?"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Even with ARC it installs the game and the old launcher... it's possible to even launch teh old launcher without using ARC even if you installed ARC.

And people aren't pretending that they can't still use the old launcher...... pretending assumes that they actually kjnow and comprehend and then just play along with the opposite as an act. 20+ years in IT has taught me the average user is a driveling idiot..... and trust me, this doesn't change when someone becomes some semblance of a "gamer".... They're not pretending.... they just don't grasp the concept.
    Yeah, I had to do that when I reloaded my laptop a year ago. the downside to this hybrid setup is that the Arc and non-arc versions of STO(and champs) patch separately. You could probably manually patch it, though I've never tried.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg