test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BOff Costume Slots

sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Controls and User Interface
Can we please have multiple costume slots for the BOffs?

Just to be able to change their uniforms depending on the type of mission I'm going on. For example, when going on the “Everything Old is New” episode, I'd like all of them to be in the TOS uniforms to blend in and for immersion.

Thx!
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
Post edited by sirokk on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    OMG, that would be awesome!

We could switch into undercover costumes during ground missions, all change into Section 31 uniforms for our secret meetings, etc.

Wow that would be great.

I might even want to BUY more costumes if all my crew could easily switch into them!

Oops, Deja Vu. :P
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I too have been wanting this feature for a very long time!

I'm aware that outfit changes at the tailor are now free, and one can save costumes for later (re)purchase, but I'd very much like to be able to change my BOff's outfits on-the-fly to suit the given situation.

Here are some details on how I'd like this to be implemented:

Purchasing / Monetization
    - To make this easier for everyone, the BOff costume slot unlocks should be automatically included with any purchase of additional Player Captain costume slots (i.e. if a player buys four extra costume slots for his/her Captain, all of his/her BOffs also automatically gain four extra costume slots each)
    - These unlocks should work retroactively for those who have already purchased Captain costume slots
    - These unlocks should also apply to all future BOffs (i.e. if a player adds more BOffs and/or buys more BOff slots, the extra BOff costume slots should also be available to them as well)

Tailor Interface (Concept Art)
    - In the Bridge Officers tab, instead of a grid simply showing each BOff and their single costume, the interface should be revised as follows:
    - Each BOff is assigned to one row of the table
    - On the far right of each row, is the BOff's name and head-only portrait
    - On the left of each row are all the outfits created for that particular BOff, which can spill over into sub-rows if required

Status Window ("U" hotkey) (Concept Art)
    - At the bottom of each Player Captain / BOff's overview screen, there should be an additional button called "Select Outfit" near the existing "Edit Record" and "Career Options", which opens up a drop-down menu listing all the costumes available for that particular BOff (much like the loadouts system for Starships)

Away Team Interface (Concept Art)
    - On the top-left hand of the screen is the UI responsible for showing the current members and status of the Away Team. By right-clicking on the Player Captain's portrait, one can already change the Captain's costume on-the-fly
    - This feature should also be extended for each BOff (i.e. right-click on a BOff portrait, click "Change Outfit", choose from list of options in pop-up)

Further arguments in favour of implementing this feature
    - By opening up additional costume slots for individual BOffs, more players would be inclined to buy more costume sets from the C-store, or participate in Summer / Winter events longer in order to redeem more costume variants.

In other words, instead of a player grinding only just enough Lohlunat Favors to outfit their captain with only one type of swimwear, the same player will now want to play much longer in order to outfit their BOffs with different types of swimwear.

tl;dr - More BOff costume slots = more players wanting to pay ZEN for more C-store outfits / players participating in special events longer to earn costumes

- When this suggestion for additional BOff costume slots was raised in the past, some forum members argued that this would result in "too much data storage overhead for each player"; however, as for S9.5, STO is already adding overhead to support features like Starship Loadouts, Reputation Marks, and most of all, a separate R&D inventory.

There are certainly differences in the data / items being stored (i.e. a simple quantity value for marks or items with stats vs. a complete costume), but my personal belief is that additional unlockable costume slots for each and every BOff per player isn't too much of a stretch.

I'll put up some concept art tomorrow, to see if I can sway some more folks.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    it would be nice to be able to link a couple of Bridge officer costumes to the main character. even if just a main and an alternate, people would enjoy it I think.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've gone ahead and edited my initial response to include some concept artwork for the various UI and systems required to make BOff costume slots viable in-game.

Hopefully one of the devs (thomasthecat, perhaps?) would be interested.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sumghai, that is exactly what we need! Thanks for the work and posting it - if now Cryptic can find this and run with it.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    this is a great idea i only hope ttc is checking this post out.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can also imagine a drop-down menu instead of placeholders. Something based on the loadout function where we can unlock additional drop-down menu points.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This would be so awesome.

I find I don't buy many new outfits for my boffs because they can only wear one at a time and that save mechanic is iffy, so when I tend to find something I like, I keep it for years.

I would definitely invest in boff outfit slots, if not just so I could swap between everyone being in uniform when on my bridge and in Omega/maco combat gear when on away missions.
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is actually a good idea, so I doubt Cryptic will implement it. They are probably thinking of new ways to gouge player base with more lame rep grinds instead of actual content and nice features. Can't give the player base logical and useful features, that would make too much sense...
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To be perfectly honest, it'd be just as well to do away with BOFF costume altogether, and make it easier for us.

Just use the basic version of whatever the captain wears. So you wear Ody, so does the crew... If it's a single speciality uniform, then BOFFs wear the officer version of whatever your ship standard is... and yes, I support a ship standard. Ody uniform is nice but people have paid for others so...

My vision is you get 2 options...
    Captain (whatever slots you want)
    Bridge (follow captain if available, else ship standard)
    Ship Standard (else fleet standard)
    Fleet standard (else Star Fleet Default)

And let them swap to match you. If captain is wearing ship uni, then accompanying BOFFs should also... If EV SUit (and if they have one) then that... use the on/off toggle for EV if necessary, if dress uni, then that, if tac/away-team uni... you get the picture.

I'd also be a proponent of making uniform choice available at the beam-down screen... you'd have a chance to change your jacket on the ship, no?

I know this may not work as well for KDF toons... but it's a start...
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    siotaylor wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, it'd be just as well to do away with BOFF costume altogether, and make it easier for us.

Just use the basic version of whatever the captain wears. So you wear Ody, so does the crew... If it's a single speciality uniform, then BOFFs wear the officer version of whatever your ship standard is... and yes, I support a ship standard. Ody uniform is nice but people have paid for others so...

My vision is you get 2 options...
    Captain (whatever slots you want)
    Bridge (follow captain if available, else ship standard)
    Ship Standard (else fleet standard)
    Fleet standard (else Star Fleet Default)

And let them swap to match you. If captain is wearing ship uni, then accompanying BOFFs should also... If EV SUit (and if they have one) then that... use the on/off toggle for EV if necessary, if dress uni, then that, if tac/away-team uni... you get the picture.

I'd also be a proponent of making uniform choice available at the beam-down screen... you'd have a chance to change your jacket on the ship, no?

I know this may not work as well for KDF toons... but it's a start...

This part I am not in favour of. I like building a semi unique costume for each of my bridge officers. Maybe my science officer likes skirts over long pants. Or my bajoran is part of the militia and only on assignment to Star Fleet, etc. Forcing them to all conform and they might as well just all be the exact same human/Vulcan/ etc.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    siotaylor wrote: »

Just use the basic version of whatever the captain wears. So you wear Ody, so does the crew... If it's a single speciality uniform, then BOFFs wear the officer version of whatever your ship standard is...

-snip-

feiqa wrote: »
    This part I am not in favour of. I like building a semi unique costume for each of my bridge officers. Maybe my science officer likes skirts over long pants. Or my bajoran is part of the militia and only on assignment to Star Fleet, etc. Forcing them to all conform and they might as well just all be the exact same human/Vulcan/ etc.

I'm in agreement with feiqa here - individual, tailored customisation is what makes BOffs more than just a set of ground and space skills.

EDIT: I've had more time to think about this, and would like to point out the cases where siotaylor's "simplification" idea would fail:

1) How would this "simplification" system handle non-standard departmental color schemes, that are often dependent on personal preference and/or time period? For instance:
    - ENT had blue jumpsuits with Command Gold, Operations Red and Sciences Blue
    - TOS had Command Gold, Security/Operations/Engineering Red and Science/Medical Blue
    - TMP had Command White, Science Orange, Medical Green, Engineering Red, Gold Communication/Helm/Nav and Security Grey
    - TWoK had monster maroons with plus a wide range of division color on the turtlenecks
    - TNG had Command Red, Security/Operations/Engineering Gold and Science/Medical Blue
    - DS9/VOY had Command Red, Security/Operations/Engineering Gold and Science/Medical Aqua
    - STO 2409 had Command/Tactical/Security Red, Engineering/Operations Gold and Science/Medical Blue
    - STO 2410 Tactical/Security Red, Engineering/Operations Gold and Science/Medical Blue plus the Red/White CO's variant
    - 29th Century Starfleet had Command Blue, Operations Burnt Orange and Science Grey

And that's not to mention personal non-canon departmental color schemes, or even variations in the position of departmental colors (e.g. inverted color schemes).

If siotaylor's simplication was implemented, players would be forced to choose from a very limited set of canon departmental colors.

2) How would this "simplification" system handle cultural/personal adornments by specific BOffs?
    - Maybe someone's Vulcan BOff isn't affiliated with Starfleet, and so wears traditional robes
    - Maybe someone has two Bajoran BOffs, one who is highly religious and wears an earing, while the other one doesn't
    - Maybe someone's alien can't wear any of the standard uniform styles because their anatomy is not compatible with it

If siotaylor's simplication was implemented, players would be forced to make all the Bajorans a certain style, all the Andorians a certain style, etc.

In summary:
    - Adding extra BOff costume slots would be relatively easier to implement, permit as much customisation as any player wants (a hallmark of most MMOs) and result in more revenue for Cryptic from players wanting to outfit their BOffs with just about every single costume combination and choices possible.

- siotaylor's simplification would not be easier to implement, remove virtually most of the customization afforded to players, and Cryptic would loose future revenue from players who could have bought additional off-duty outfits just for their BOffs.
  • Options
    joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree that it would be cool to see. I saved a few costumes for my BOFFs.
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can see where sumghai is coming from too. My option would be simpler, but would reduce options. Of course, if it's an option rather than just forced, then it would be better.

Better still to give BOFFs extra uniform slots...

It was just an idea.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd use them

So far I've gathered enough BOFFs to have completely seperate Bridge crew and away team, and they are dressed acordingly , But it would be great if they could alternate between two sets, I might have the second slot be the Dress Uniforms for formal occasions maybe
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    comdrivercomdriver Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sumghai wrote: »
    Here are some details

these are great ideas! I would love them to be implemented and use for my boffs
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I support having at least two Boff costume slots available, with more purchasable separately or included as part of the current costume slot item in the store.

I'd love to be able to do something like switch my away team to from their standard duty uniform to saved TOS, tactical gear, formal attire, etc. outfits depending on the situation.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    focslainfocslain Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just want the option to dress my boffs as I see fit (this includes off-duty types I paid to use). I'm fine with each boff only having one uniform slot. I know that saves on the server space.
  • Options
    gilrandir00gilrandir00 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Old thread, but I would like to support this request.

If Boff outfit slots can't come with captain outfit slots, I would like to see packs like for the starship loadouts, i.e. bundles of x slots that can be individually assigned to a boff.
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would also love this idea and waiting for a long time.

It makes no sense, that i wear on a diplomacy mission my dress uniform and my crew does not. Or wearing off duty uniform and my crew not.

Yes i support this idea and i would pay for BOff Costume slot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Jesus, I bought 8 additional outfit slots for my Captain, I really love the Tailor.

Personally, I would die to get Boff outfit slots. But maybe this is a serverspace related issue?

"I" believe that when you add Costume slots, you also create full flesh copies of your character, and not just a costume overlay.

Means, when I switch to a new outfit on my Captain, I also switch to a complete copy of my Captain.

And when you add additional Boff Outfit slots for, lets say every Boff, the serverspace would be full in no time. It would bring stress to the database and infrastructure.

And we all know that this is already a big problem here.

MAYBE it would be possible to reduce the serverspace by having 4 dedicated away team outfit slots.
    I apply a Uniform to an away team slot and then I select a boff to that slot.

Problem is, that you need to often change the outfits per slot to fit your current needs.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Old thread, but I would like to support this request.

If Boff outfit slots can't come with captain outfit slots, I would like to see packs like for the starship loadouts, i.e. bundles of x slots that can be individually assigned to a boff.

This an old thread? Ha! This one I made about this topic is an old thread :Dhttp://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=221041
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would love to have the ability to turn my goody-two-shoes TOS crew into their evil counterparts at the touch of a button!

Supporting this!