Install Arc
Options

Lagging/Freezing in the Foundry Editor

13»

Comments

• Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    I've done what I can. The bug is in the database and the powers that be are aware of it.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've done what I can. The bug is in the database and the powers that be are aware of it.

We appreciate everything you've done for us. Hopefully the powers that be will have it fixed soon.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    jaguaro70jaguaro70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Your efforts are very much appreciated, crypticfrost.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just wanted to let you guys know that there has been a fix checked in by a programmer. It hasn't made it to me yet, so I don't have an ETA for when it will be live.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    jauhn82jauhn82 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just wanted to let you guys know that there has been a fix checked in by a programmer. It hasn't made it to me yet, so I don't have an ETA for when it will be live.

are you saying : ?
    • A) A programmer has gone in a checked to see if there is a fix that could be in the works
    • B) A programmer has gone and fixed the problem, but there is no information when they fix will hit holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Rellimtime82 - Foundry Author
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    He means B, a programmer has submitted (checked in) a fix, but that fix hasn't reached QA for testing yet.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank you, Frost, for the feedback.
    jauhn82 wrote: »
    are you saying : ?
    • A) A programmer has gone in a checked to see if there is a fix that could be in the works
    • B) A programmer has gone and fixed the problem, but there is no information when they fix will hit holodeck

They probably work with a SVN (sourcecode repository).

If so, then it works kind of this way; dozen programmers program their piece of codes, fixes, etc and put them in the SVN. Every upload is a different "branch" which have to be "combined" and tested (internally) to see if the branches won't interrupt with eachother.

Then it'll has to be build in an installable package, published and tested on tribble/redshirt. When everything is a-ok, it'll be published on HD.

Let's say an iteration as mentioned above could take three to four weeks, depending what management wants and/or other fixes are deemed more important (financial and/or gameplay bugs).

But that's only how I like to see it.
  • Options
    midnighttlcmidnighttlc Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And I just tested the fix and it looks good. It should be on Tribble later today and on Holodeck Thursday.

Since there's been questions, basically, the way things work here are as follows:

Programmers and designers work on a copy of the game that runs just on their personal computer. When they've finished any work they've done, they check in that work and it then becomes a part of the code branch they are working on. For those changes to make it into the game, one of two things has to happen. Either a baseline build is made where everything checked in before a specified date and time is compiled into the build, or the changes are specifically added to the current build in what we call an incremental build. In the later case, a producer selects what recent checkins are wanted to be added and only those checkins get added to the build.

So, in this case, the programmer checked in a fix yesterday, a producer saw that it was in and added it to today's incremental build, which got to QA a couple of hours ago after the build finished compiling, and I just finished checking that one fix.

As always, this is my understanding of things and any errors are mine alone.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    midnighttlcmidnighttlc Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And I just tested the fix and it looks good. It should be on Tribble later today and on Holodeck Thursday.

Since there's been questions, basically, the way things work here are as follows:

Programmers and designers work on a copy of the game that runs just on their personal computer. When they've finished any work they've done, they check in that work and it then becomes a part of the code branch they are working on. For those changes to make it into the game, one of two things has to happen. Either a baseline build is made where everything checked in before a specified date and time is compiled into the build, or the changes are specifically added to the current build in what we call an incremental build. In the later case, a producer selects what recent checkins are wanted to be added and only those checkins get added to the build.

So, in this case, the programmer checked in a fix yesterday, a producer saw that it was in and added it to today's incremental build, which got to QA a couple of hours ago after the build finished compiling, and I just finished checking that one fix.

As always, this is my understanding of things and any errors are mine alone.

AWESOME woohoo!!!
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That's awesome to hear, Frost. Please pass along our thanks and appreciating to the team for getting this sorted out. :)
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Proper explanation there Frost :), so apparently I wasn't far from the thruth :D.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you! Glad things are moving along. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Very awesome. And since you were the one that submitted the defect we owe a lot of appreciation.

Power to QA.
  • Options
    jauhn82jauhn82 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Give everyone who worked on the fix my thanks. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Rellimtime82 - Foundry Author
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Guys. This is hitting holodeck tomorrow.

I only hope it's been properly tested and confirmed to work.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Guys. This is hitting holodeck tomorrow.

I only hope it's been properly tested and confirmed to work.

Here's to hoping!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good job on Frost and any programmer who patched the editor !
    Thanx guys...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Much better! Now I can get back to work. :D Thanks, devs!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    stcaptainquirkystcaptainquirky Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The fix seems to work. It's still somewhat slow here and there but no worse than before the bug and at least it's usable again.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this. :)
    SaSOGlo.png
  • Options
    helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Finally the lag issue seems resolved... but I am afraid another hindrance made its debut... I can'tdo copy and paste single or multiple objects within a map... do you experience the same ?
    I never had problems with that before the 9.5 and the recent patch... either with the "copy" icon or with ctrl+c - crtl+v method
This discussion has been closed.