Install Arc
Options

Say something positive about: The Next Generation

mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
Alright, so next one up is TNG.

I'll just stick to saying this about it:

"There are four lights!"
I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
Post edited by mimey2 on

Comments

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    1 thing...

The Crew of the Enterprise...

From the ensigns to Cap Picard, Data, Riker, Worf... etc etc... you get the point...

That's what positive :D
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    It gave me hope that we will learn from our mistakes.
    COLOR="Cyan"]Picard, to Dr. Crusher[/COLOR

...the Prime Directive is not just a set of rules. It is a philosophy, and a very correct one. History has proved again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well-intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »

"There are four lights!"

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken... *zzaaap*

All of Season Six was brilliant, but "Chain of Command, Pt. II" was really TNG's peak, in my opinion.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Picard and Vash...
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,....
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Some of the quotes from Next gen where superb:

Worf: "Good tea, nice house."

or

Data:"If your timing is off, even by a millisecond it will be....unfortunate"
    Worf:"Very unfortunate. We will be dead"

or

From the one line master:

Q: "Worf, Eaten any good books lately?"

or

Q:"Aww Riker! You wernt this stuffy before the beard!"

:)
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    dougglendowerdougglendower Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The cast was the most experienced at launch of all the series. Only DS9 really comes close. And as for episodes, Measure of a Man was the one that made me know the show was gonna have legs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Beverly Crusher... The scene in engineering where she was bent over the center console while talking to Geordi... :o:o:o:o<3<3<3

Also a positive female role-model... Compassionate, professional, determined, as well as a working single-mother... Big Thumbs Up ^_^
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Everything...

Oh, but this in particular;

"'With the first link the chain is forged, the first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie; his wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged."
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    It was almost as good as DS9.
    Really it's the only series I would sit down and watch a random episode from (DS9 has too many story arcs for that).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can be so mistaken... *zzaaap*

All of Season Six was brilliant, but "Chain of Command, Pt. II" was really TNG's peak, in my opinion.
    No, Best of Both Worlds part 1 was the best. I have NEVER been so scared as when Picard appeared on the viewscreen and called himself Locutus of Borg...

"I, Borg" was an excellent episode, too, as was Measure of A Man.
    Beverly Crusher... The scene in engineering where she was bent over the center console while talking to Geordi... :o:o:o:o<3<3<3

Also a positive female role-model... Compassionate, professional, determined, as well as a working single-mother... Big Thumbs Up ^_^
    Yeah, she was great both as eye candy (why can't ALL doctors look like that?????) and because she not only had McCoy's skill, she had MUCH better bedside manner AND managed to do her job while raising a kid who was eternally TRIBBLE around with the ship's systems...

ONe of my favorite characters.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Everything...

Oh, but this in particular;

"'With the first link the chain is forged, the first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie; his wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged."

"The Drumhead". Another great episode.

And of course the entire show was awesome, although Season 1 was rocky, and Jonathan Frakes himself said that the J'naii episode was mishandled (Frakes said that at least the J'naii who he had a relationship with should've been portrayed by a male actor instead of a female actor; the casting department just used women for the J'naii roles and tried to make them look androgynous). And don't remind me of "Rascals", please; that one was Plot over actual sense.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I must admit that there are multiple things not to like, but they're small specific annoyances related to certain characters and episodes. Overall it was quite good.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TNG gave us the Cardassians, one of the better-developed antagonist cultures in modern Trek. And I admire Picard's willingness to stand by his principles no matter what. (I don't always agree with his principles or every application of them, but I respect them.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Data, I guess. And of course Q. Basically, the characters were passable, and some of them were good.

Oh and "Conspiracy". Creepy, compelling, and visceral.

...that's about it. Granted, I've seen mostly the early seasons, but TNG doesn't impress me, mainly because of the philosophies behind it. And also because of the lack of serialization. The quality of the show doesn't make up for that like it did with TOS.

Although honestly, the reason I rate it so low is because people worship it. If it wasn't so overrated, I probably wouldn't be so hard on it.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Judging TNG by the early seasons is horribly unfair. Its issue was that Roddenberry conceived it as an ensemble show, which is fair enough - but then he tried to introduce all the troupe at once, which meant they had to be reduced to caricatures in order to fit.

Later seasons saw vastly-improved writing, and much more nuance in most of the characters. Although I was sad that they never did what made TOS great, IMO - they never solicited scripts from actual established genre writers. (Seriously, would TOS have been what it was without Theodore Sturgeon's "Amok Time", or Harlan Ellison's "The City On the Edge of Forever", or even Richard Matheson's "The Enemy Within"?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Gates McFadden in her prime
  • Options
    blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Shaka, when the walls fell....love that one.
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For me, the Galaxy Class is still one of the most beautiful ships in all of Sci-Fi.

The Inner Light, where Picard lives an entire lifetime in his mind.

Boothby.

(edit: and when Data chose to shoot Fajo in The Most Toys. Almost forgot that one.)
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Capt. Picard: Oh... Oh, it's me... Isn't it? I'm the someone. I'm the one it finds. That's what this launching is. A probe that finds me, in the future.

My favorite moment in just about any show. Yes the makeup was cheesy but he played it so well. Made a very angry 23 year old cry..

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It may have already been said but ... TNG restarted it all :)
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »

"There are four lights!"

Marc Alaimo as a human, a Romulan, and a Cardassian.

The Well Manicured Man from The X Files played poker with Data. (I remember Deep Throat being in there, too, but I forget the episode).

I also liked the darkness of Frame of Mind. Let's not forget the infamous line at the end of "Best of Both Worlds, Part 1" spoken by Commander Riker...

"Mr. Worf...
    FIRE."
    *roll credits*

Still gives me chills to this day.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wesley!

That is all
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    TNG was pretty good overall. S1 and 2 were kinda... meh.

Also...

Worf: What is this?
    Guinen: Prune Juice.
    Worf: *Tries it* A warrior's drink.

Also the interaction between the crew was great.
    Dr. Crusher was a great CMO.

<.<
    >.>

Can I have Dr. Crusher's lab coat in STO now?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I loved the one liners from Worf or Data, they were just priceless
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Best thing about TNG...

After a 20 year lapse, it brought Star Trek back to TV.