test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

request to remoddle DS9 for better immersion

yuki109yuki109 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I didn't know where to write this so I will just write it here.

I have just finished watching DS9 and after the recent (actually not that recent) remaking of ESD this is a request for the devs to remake DS9 .

I am asking this because although the current in game DS9 is a good representation of DS9 there are some areas of DS9 that aren't accurately shown for example the security office and the prison cells, I think it would be more immersive if you could visit parts of the station that were in the show like this.

another thing I would like to see in DS9 is For quarks to be integrated directly onto the promenade and for one of the Holosuites to be running the Vic fontaine program so players can visit it.

it is these small immersive experiences that make players feel that they are on DS9 and not some other station that just looks like it.

I also think there should be a Transwarp to DS9 feature as DS9 is a station that more TREK fans will relate to rather than ESD.

I don't know if the devs will ever see this but I would really like to see DS9 the way it was in the shows and it seemed like a thing the devs could do before they HOPEFULLY before they add a cardassian faction
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    it would be nice for them to redo Terok Nor (DS9). I could see going to the Security office to turn in contraband and or prisoners, the infirmary could also be used for station specific DoFF missions. Quark's Bar needs to be open and part of the actual promenade, the only time you see those doors closed is if he is closed (either it may be closing hours or Liquidator Brunt shuts him down) also with change to the game you can get a more accurate look for the bar as well, get rid of the large ramps. Ops needs to look more active, heck since we beam into the station, we should be starting off in OPS, now if you want us to Dock with the station we should have a new start area in the docking rings. The Bajoran Shirne looks more like a common room than a shrine. Also the Ward Room should be available like it was in the mission. as for the exterior, since we know you had to Enlarge the station, take it back down in size and have the spawn point around the station's outer docking ring, also shouldn't we be able to see Bajor from the station as well? I know the station is still in the Bajoran System, that it may be a far off shot of the planet.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    johnshepard2johnshepard2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If I remember correctly, one of the devs said in one of the interviews that they want to overhaul places like DS9 that could use a facelift.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I started a thread on this a few months ago, and tacofangs provided some support. However, I believe he's said elsewhere that there are no plans to do anything to DS9 right now. They'd likely need a compelling reason to do it (maybe some new story content which takes place there).
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Here are my own suggestions from the previous thread:
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Ops
    Ops actually looks pretty good at this point. I think Kurland could safely be relocated to the Commander's office, and the office could perhaps use some additional decor. The texture on the Ops "pool table" MSD has always been a poor fit for the table.

Promenade
    This is where most of the polishing comes in to play. My wishlist:
    • Build the Infirmary: An important location on the show, and the residence for the Medical Officer contact, currently found in the Multipurpose Room (MPR). Also a potentially useful Foundry hookup.
    • Build the Security Office: Another important location from the show, home to the Federation security officer doff contact. Another useful Foundry hookup, especially with the holding cells attached to the office.
    • Scrap the MPR and build the Assay Office: A smaller space for the Mail, Bank, and Exchange (would obviously need to be bigger than the one seen in the show, but could be much smaller than the current MPR).
    • Shipyard/Docking Ring: This could be pretty much kept as-is, but I think this should be the spawn point for those beaming on to Deep Space Nine - I'd rather appear next to the airlock doors than beam into the middle of the Promenade.
    • More walk-in "shops:" Give the Deferi, KDF, and Romulan Republic (heck, maybe even the Cardassians) diplomatic Consulates on the Promenade. Home to the mission and doff contacts for the non-Federation factions. Also a potentially very useful Foundry hookup.
    • Clickable chairs at the replimat.

Quark's
    There are a couple of ways I think Quark's could be improved as well.
    • Replace the giant ramp with the screen-accurate spiral staircases. They don't have to be functional - just hook them up to interact like a turbolift to go up or down one level.
    • Clickable chairs and barstools throughout.
    • Holosuite doors and control panels on the 3rd floor: At the very least, useful for the Foundry.

Tacofangs and others contributed discussion about a transporter room and other locations, as well.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the 'consulate' ideas - especially since, IIRC, Quark's is supposed to be the 'Ferengi Embassy to Bajor' as well. Plus, it would give a place to put Ambassador S'tass that's not in Ops - sorry, but "Surface Tension" or not, he's there for earlier missions and even if the Federation IS for some reason still letting Klingons on DS9 during the Fed/Klingon War, I find it a stretch to believe that they (Kurland especially) would let a high-ranking Empire official into Ops just like that.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree, DS9 needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If I recall correctly, The Devs, Tacofangs I think, but I'm not certain, did respond to a similar thread

The general impression i got from that was that the enviroment guys admitted DS9 could be improved, but that they would be unable to commit to such a project at the time, what with the effort put into ESD and Expansion 2

I'd also guess that the environment team would need somebody up top to okay it for work time projects, and remoddeling an entire map in their free time would be a bit beyond the call of duty
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wish the direction of this game would get away from space dinosaurs and rehashing the Delta quadrant, and get back on focus with the Cardassians and Dominion. IMO, the Dyson Sphere is the worst thing that ever happened to STO.

DS9 needs some love. Both the location and the series IP.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    I've talked about this in the past. Nothing has changed. I still want to rebuild it, but it's not in the plan at this time. That doesn't mean it can't be, just isn't right now.

Quark's should be back in the center of the promenade, that is something we know fits together anyway. However, I'm not really sure how we'd be able to do the holosuites. In the show, the holosuites, and Vic's, were all on separate sound stages, and not directly connected to Quark's (you never saw anyone walk directly from one to the other without a camera cut). So, while Quark's DOES fit inside the Promenade, Vic's wouldn't fit in there too.

At least, not if we want the promenade to be the full 360º that it was supposed to be. However, on the show, all of the Promenade we ever saw, was within about 120º arc of the full circle. So, if we just built that arc, we could make room for holosuites to be directly connected. But we'd also have to cut down on a lof of the potential businesses. (On the show, they just swapped out the same stalls for different things during different episodes).

Also note that the Security Holding Area was never directly attached to Odo's office. We'd have to invent how that worked.

Bajor should not be visible from DS9 (it was never shown on screen with the station, except for the first episode, and in that episode they use the engines to move the station something like 160,000km to the Wormhole.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only way I'd prefer DS9 to be remodeled was mentioned in the FCT list. *shrug*
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think including Vic's is probably not realistic - it would require its own zone (as tacofangs noted, there's no way to fit a space that big into the existing map), and more importantly would require a lot of 1960s assets which would be used in that one location only.

To play devil's advocate though...Quark's holosuites always looked pretty tiny when they weren't running a program. Perhaps the "empty" version could be squeezed in somewhere? My research suggests that they should be on the 2nd level, which is problematic since it's adjacent to the Promenade, but perhaps they could be included on the 3rd level, which has nothing else on it.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with closed "holosuite doors" which could be used for Foundry hookups and the like.

The DS9 Technical Manual floor plan is a pretty good layout guideline. It includes ways the holding cells could be connected to the Security Office, as well as the location and rough shape of the rarely-seen surgical unit of the Infirmary. It also has Quark's taking up a little less than half of the central core, so there could be room for expansion in there (including holosuites?). Of course, I have no idea how well that stuff would work when someone tried to build it to scale.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The only way I'd prefer DS9 to be remodeled was mentioned in the FCT list. *shrug*

Indeed... I've seen this come up countless of times.. ;o
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The DS9 Technical Manual floor plan is a pretty good layout guideline. It includes ways the holding cells could be connected to the Security Office, as well as the location and rough shape of the rarely-seen surgical unit of the Infirmary. It also has Quark's taking up a little less than half of the central core, so there could be room for expansion in there (including holosuites?). Of course, I have no idea how well that stuff would work when someone tried to build it to scale.

I've taken the DS9 Technical Manual image you linked, and applied some suggestions of the part that could be constructed (instead of having full 360-degree circle), as well as possibility for future expansion. Where the Technical Manual had names like Florist and Assayer's Office, I've instead applied names like Commodities Vendor and Bank/Mail Access.

Have a look (Tacofangs especially) :)

(Right-click and open in New tab for bigger version)

mIz7SIv.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    I've taken the DS9 Technical Manual image you linked, and applied some suggestions of the part that could be constructed (instead of having full 360-degree circle), as well as possibility for future expansion. Where the Technical Manual had names like Florist and Assayer's Office, I've instead applied names like Commodities Vendor and Bank/Mail Access.

Overall, I like it. I've long supported putting the bank, mail, and exchange into the Assayer's Office (and probably making it a double-sized shop to accommodate the player traffic), but I suspect they'd go the ESD route and scatter mail/bank terminals all over the place in the event of a revamp.

And as I said before, a lot of the "empty" shops could be filled with diplomatic facilities for the Klingons, Romulans, Deferi, and other non-Federation groups.

But why the heck would you want to relocate Captain Kurland to the Promenade? :P
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    But why the heck would you want to relocate Captain Kurland to the Promenade? :P

That's not what it says in the image I linked.

I meant that Kurland should be relocated to being in the Commander's Office on the Ops Level, rather than standing out in the center of the Ops Level (where he currently resides) :P
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've talked about this in the past. Nothing has changed. I still want to rebuild it, but it's not in the plan at this time. That doesn't mean it can't be, just isn't right now.

Quark's should be back in the center of the promenade, that is something we know fits together anyway. However, I'm not really sure how we'd be able to do the holosuites. In the show, the holosuites, and Vic's, were all on separate sound stages, and not directly connected to Quark's (you never saw anyone walk directly from one to the other without a camera cut). So, while Quark's DOES fit inside the Promenade, Vic's wouldn't fit in there too.

At least, not if we want the promenade to be the full 360º that it was supposed to be. However, on the show, all of the Promenade we ever saw, was within about 120º arc of the full circle. So, if we just built that arc, we could make room for holosuites to be directly connected. But we'd also have to cut down on a lof of the potential businesses. (On the show, they just swapped out the same stalls for different things during different episodes).

Also note that the Security Holding Area was never directly attached to Odo's office. We'd have to invent how that worked.

Bajor should not be visible from DS9 (it was never shown on screen with the station, except for the first episode, and in that episode they use the engines to move the station something like 160,000km to the Wormhole.

some one who can recite all this when ever the topic comes up is the first person id want in charge of recreating canon locations
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If they ever make the Gamma Quadrant the focus of a future expansion, then I'm sure that'd be the appropriate time to redesign DS9.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just my opinion but I'd rather see the core federation worlds and the other Klingon Cities on Qo'nos and some of their other Empire worlds than remodeling DS9 which is fine the way it is imo.

With the above I would also like some away team content that npc's are not just waiting around for me to come kill them lol. Only mission comes close to this in the game so far is the Starbase Incursion lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    I meant that Kurland should be relocated to being in the Commander's Office on the Ops Level, rather than standing out in the center of the Ops Level (where he currently resides) :P

Ah, I gotcha. I agree with that, but I do have a theory as to why he's out in Ops rather than in his office: the devs know every player is going to want the chance to sit in The Chair. :D
    some one who can recite all this when ever the topic comes up is the first person id want in charge of recreating canon locations

There's no question that Taco knows his stuff, and is dedicated to getting it right if he gets the opportunity.
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited July 2014

As Earth's moon has an orbital radius of ~400,000 km and is well visible in our sky, it must have been more than that. The wormhole (DS9 being 1,000 km from its event horizon), is in the Denorios Belt, which, in turn is located between the orbits of Bajor IX and Bajor X. The Bajoran homeworld "Bajor" is Bajor XI (established on various okudagrams in the show), so the station was actually moved CLOSER to the Bajoran sun, across the orbit of Bajor X. As Bajor's planets seem to have stable orbits, I would estimate the station must have been moved several million kilometers closer to the Sol-like Bajoran sun.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All I know is it's a 3-7 hour runabout trip from DS9 to Bajor, depending on where the planet is in its orbit. In teh show, the travel time kept changing between these values, so I just figured it was due to its orbit.

So Bajor shouldn't be seen from DS9.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    admiralah1admiralah1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DS9 is such an important location in the canon, having its own show and everything, there really doesn't need to be an excuse to remodel it aside from being faithful to your source material.

That said, it does seem like the Gamma Quadrant is a likely destination for future content. My guess is that in the next few years, as that area is fleshed out, they will probably also redo DS9 in the same way ESD was redone for S9.

My guess is that the Gamma Quadrant material will hook into two places--the Iconian Gateway discovered by Sisko in DS9 (destroyed, but proof of concept), and the Dominion case file on record in the Iconian observation area in the featured episode in S8.5. I can't imagine them inserting that if there weren't some plans for a fleshing out of the story involving the Dominion and Iconians, and probably also the Cardassians, which are perhaps the focus on the next expansion.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    As Earth's moon has an orbital radius of ~400,000 km and is well visible in our sky, it must have been more than that. The wormhole (DS9 being 1,000 km from its event horizon), is in the Denorios Belt, which, in turn is located between the orbits of Bajor IX and Bajor X. The Bajoran homeworld "Bajor" is Bajor XI (established on various okudagrams in the show), so the station was actually moved CLOSER to the Bajoran sun, across the orbit of Bajor X. As Bajor's planets seem to have stable orbits, I would estimate the station must have been moved several million kilometers closer to the Sol-like Bajoran sun.

Derp. 160,000,000km. (57 mins into Emissary)

Though, as you mention, Bajor orbits its sun. We don't know if the wormhole orbits, or if it's stationary, or what. But presumably, Bajor grows nearer/farther from the wormhole as time goes on. We also don't know at what point in their respective orbits they were when the station was moved. That said, 160,000,000km means that Bajor may be visible from the station, but it would be a tiny dot, just like Venus or Jupiter are when viewed from Earth.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    champion1701champion1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DS9's is scaled right in Sector Space but it is way too big in the regular space map, this needs to be addressed if there is a revamp of the map.

specialwp2a.jpg
    =/\= Commodore Champion1701 =/\=

=/\=USS Lindsey Stirling =/\= NCC-116747 =/\=

=/\= Liberty Task Force =/\= Diplomatic Advisor =/\=
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DS9's is scaled right in Sector Space but it is way too big in the regular space map, this needs to be addressed if there is a revamp of the map.

They've said repeatedly that they will not be addressing that, as they feel that having the station scaled properly causes it to be completely lost/invisible in the massive cluster of player ships, and that it "feels" wrong to the average player.

I know a lot of people have a lot of feelings about that particular issue (myself included), but I think it's safe to say the final decision has been made.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    They've said repeatedly that they will not be addressing that, as they feel that having the station scaled properly causes it to be completely lost/invisible in the massive cluster of player ships, and that it "feels" wrong to the average player.

I know a lot of people have a lot of feelings about that particular issue (myself included), but I think it's safe to say the final decision has been made.

A cop out as usual thou. Since the "sea of ships" could be reduced, by limiting the maximum number of players per map to a lower number than current. Only on extremely rare occasions did we ever see DS9 surrounded by dozens of ships (Way of the Warrior comes to mind). But generally, at most 5-10 ships around the station.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "cop out" is a matter of perspective. To be sure, you're asking to reduce the number of players per map, thus increasing the number of instances? What if there are a maximum number of instances that can be allowed?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "cop out" is a matter of perspective. To be sure, you're asking to reduce the number of players per map, thus increasing the number of instances? What if there are a maximum number of instances that can be allowed?

Alternative, what if the devs want us to see many other players in a social zone?

Not to disrespect your opinion, druhin, but your description of the decision as a "cop out" is just that - an opinion.

My own opinion is that there might be an acceptable middle ground - to have the station continue to be "too big," but perhaps a bit closer to its proper size than it currently is.
    DS9 is big because when tested at it's 'actual' size, people thought it was too small, and not fun to fly around.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You're right. Perhaps "cop out" was a bit harsh. But the point is, they could reduce the number of ships seen on screen around DS9 (in the System Map), by reducing the number of players on that map at any given time.

And as for Social Zone? Please. DS9 (interior, station map) is the Social Zone. Not a whole lot of socializing going on outside the station. If you consider the "RP" in MMORPG, our ships are NOT sentient. Our ships do not speak with each other. Our Captains do :P