What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lagging/Freezing in the Foundry Editor

Comments

• Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, here's a couple I've been working on. They haven't been published yet.

The Hive: Resurrection
    ST-HDQ5KG9F9

Dark Star
    ST-HQXX9GJHD
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    admirison wrote: »
    I'd really like this to be resolved soon. One of the newer patches (not sure which one, as I've been away from STO for several months) seems to have screwed up the combat AI for ground mobs on "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line", rendering them much more difficult than they used to be (it's a lot easier to defeat groups of mobs when they don't band together into a massive army and charge you all at once), and with this Foundry lag, it's pretty much impossible to fix the problems in the map editor.
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Frost will probably respond tomorrow with "Can those of you experiencing this please post your mission IDs?"

Why don't we do it preemptively?

If you have a mission where the lag is especially bad, please post the ST- ID and mission name. I already did earlier in the thread.

In my last PM with CF, he told me there is a costume update coming up soon. So hopefully the fix will be soon. That or these costumes will cause further glitches. :P

And someone, do make a note about this bug (since it happened before) and have Cryptic remember it, so the next time it happens they can zero in on a speedy repair. ;)

Anyhow my Missions ID: Klach D'Kel Brakt ST-HBQP3L7PT
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just thought I'd pass along that I alerted Al Rivera about the lagginess on twitter and he said he'd pass the information along.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    maninblack017maninblack017 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Uprising: Act IV - Resolution
    ST-HDDMGVZR3

that is the only one I've tried and to note, it is still unpublished
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The time has come to see the world as it is." - Captain James T. Kirk
    Twitter - @SDVargo
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    This is being investigated. Thanks for posting the Mission IDs.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    From what I'm seeing, the system is searching for costumes quite extensively when I open one of your projects, and any time I select a map. So, it looks like the theory of this being costume related is valid.

There's been a lot of costume update in Season 9.5, from the Starfleet critter groups being changed to use the Odyssey costumes to new stuff added to the Foundry itself. It may just be that these large projects will simply take a good while to update, but that's only my best guess at this time.

I've passed what I've found on to folks more knowledgeable than myself to see what they think.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    midnighttlcmidnighttlc Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here's my recording of using the foundry at 1pm EST today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8GFaUdipo&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I have been having these issues too,

I have problems where the whole foundry UI will flicker on and off, the map and lists will remain but the backgrounds flicker revealing the Holodeck that sits behind the UI that is used for previewing dialogue

It's really weird
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Perfection, Part 1
    ST-HD655WMRJ

Perfection, Part 2
    ST-HTZQEB432

Scars of the Pride, Part 1.
    ST-HTEBGPOR4

Scars of the Pride Pt 2:The Claw
    ST-HNCGXB3N5

Scars of the Pride, Part 3:Toxin
    ST-HHJLOE5AJ

Scars of the Pride, Part 4
    ST-HPRP643YZ
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    jaguaro70jaguaro70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There wasn't a mention of anything in today's patch notes concerning the Foundry Editor. Any word on when that might be?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jaguaro70 wrote: »
    There wasn't a mention of anything in today's patch notes concerning the Foundry Editor. Any word on when that might be?

I have no new information at this time, sorry.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have no new information at this time, sorry.

It'd be nice if an issue this major that is keeping many authors completely unable to edit projects was at least referenced as a "known issue".

Don't ya' think ?
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hippiejon wrote: »
    It'd be nice if an issue this major that is keeping many authors completely unable to edit projects was at least referenced as a "known issue".

Don't ya' think ?

It fits a pattern. I don't think you were here for Season 4, which broke nearly every foundry mission and had the foundry down for... I don't even remember how long. It was never a "known issue" of Season 6.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Despite the fact that the ability to create your own missions and share them is a nearly unique feature and major selling point for STO, it seems like the dev team has never considered the Foundry to be a particularly high priority. It doesn't surprise me that the patch broke the Foundry and the devs are now basically ignoring the problem, but it does remind me why I originally walked away from STO.
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If CrypticFrost took time time to answer the question, that means that they weren't able to come up with a fix right away. Remember that issues take a bit of time to look into. There's always next week.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same issue for me, I was looking forward to getting on with my Foundry mission today, seems there's no patch either so we've gotta hope they find a fix by next week...
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is what I've been trying... I have a mission that got the 9.5 bashing just near completion... it lags so much it's useless to tamper with.

I tried to open a new project in the editor.. and everything behaves well, costume creator module included.

So I copied my near completed mission and... start to erase the "old" costumes, putting "new" ones instead (looking absolutely like those before, BTW...) to see if the lag continues...

However, seems that the ominous lag affects only the projects saved BEFORE 9.5 update.
    This can be a major annoyance though, because I'd want to retouch my mission at any moment, specially in dialogs... and this is an awful drawback...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is what I've been trying... I have a mission that got the 9.5 bashing just near completion... it lags so much it's useless to tamper with.

I tried to open a new project in the editor.. and everything behaves well, costume creator module included.

So I copied my near completed mission and... start to erase the "old" costumes, putting "new" ones instead (looking absolutely like those before, BTW...) to see if the lag continues...

However, seems that the ominous lag affects only the projects saved BEFORE 9.5 update.
    This can be a major annoyance though, because I'd want to retouch my mission at any moment, specially in dialogs... and this is an awful drawback...
    Nah, I'm pretty sure mission creation date isn't the issue. From what I've heard it's simply the number of costumes.

I just did a test, I took a brand new mission and added 20 costumes to it. The result was a significant amount of lag being added to the editor. Just changing object to set coordinates took several seconds.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hope this gets fixed soon.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yep... I made my homework and I can confirm... it's the numbers of costumes that slows down the editor... no more than 8, maybe ten... it's no good... le't hope they will fix it for real soon.
    In the meantime... what can I say... will do other games
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If it's the costumes then the slowness starts kicking in at about 2 custom outfits. I was almost done with my first mission but with S9.5 it's too laggy to touch. After starting over I noticed the Foundry was pretty snappy, and reading the posts I stayed away from creating any costumes and just stuck with the built in stuff. But the more I worked the more lagged I noticed, especialy when clicking draggin to select multiple objects. I decided to add 3 costumes and I have noticed a drastic reduction in response time.

So while the costumes seem to be a large part of the problem. There is more going on than just costumes.
  • Options
    councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's obvious that many people are having this issue. If one person complains, you can guarantee that at least 27 other people have the same problem and just haven't said anything.

Perhaps we could get some sort of response from Cryptic reps to acknowledge that they're aware of the issue, our complaints, anything. A message saying "I have no info" is really poor customer service, when a simple response of support would go a long way to appeasing many people's concerns. I'm thinking about dropping $300 on a lifetime sub soon and I'd hate to be convinced out of that because customer support can't be counted on to prove to customers that they care.

People can understand that tech has problems. It's not an issue. The issue is that when there's a problem, the company is silent about it. Customers have no other course than to imagine that no one is paying attention to what they care about.
    AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, at least now we're a "known issue". :rolleyes:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1178471
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, at least now we're a "known issue". :rolleyes:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1178471

Baby steps...
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »
    If it's the costumes then the slowness starts kicking in at about 2 custom outfits. I was almost done with my first mission but with S9.5 it's too laggy to touch. After starting over I noticed the Foundry was pretty snappy, and reading the posts I stayed away from creating any costumes and just stuck with the built in stuff. But the more I worked the more lagged I noticed, especialy when clicking draggin to select multiple objects. I decided to add 3 costumes and I have noticed a drastic reduction in response time.

So while the costumes seem to be a large part of the problem. There is more going on than just costumes.

Hmm... that means working on Valley of the Shadow III is out for now, but at least I can start map building and other prep work on future projects I have planned. Good thing to know.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the lag has kicked in big time working on my 2nd project. I decided to remove all of my (3) custome outfits, no joy. The lag is most notable in the Story Tab where it takes several seconds for images to render and recognize mouse click/drag. The map editor seems OK except for some small lag when click/drag selecting multiple objects.

The only thing I can reason is right before the lag kicked in I reached an object limit on one of my maps. But after splitting the map into 2 seperate the lag didn't change. I then (most begrudgingly) deleted half the map and half the story. Still no joy. This was a mission created after 9.5.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd say... let's abandon all projects at once and just affirm that we DO NO MORE until the situation is handled for good
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd say... let's abandon all projects at once and just affirm that we DO NO MORE until the situation is handled for good
    It took around 6 months last time they went to take a look on it. Nothing will change when we abandon projects.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Stouty... maybe you like to do missions with NPC appearances only, waiting patieintly for the story editor to react etc... fact is was troublesome enough work into the editor buggy the way it was... now it's almost comedic... nothing will stop from new project let swirling my mind... only I will not get them on the Foundry until they fix the lag issue, simple as that
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stouty... maybe you like to do missions with NPC appearances only, waiting patieintly for the story editor to react etc... fact is was troublesome enough work into the editor buggy the way it was... now it's almost comedic... nothing will stop from new project let swirling my mind... only I will not get them on the Foundry until they fix the lag issue, simple as that
    I didn't meant it that way. I haven't been in the foundry myself for a while, but that was due to different reasons. I've (re)created CSG1 when we had the previous lagging problem and built CSG2 (including the temple) while we had the "white" problem.

I meant that the feeling among the community is quite strong that we'll be getting the short straw concerning these bugs. Only Cold (Edit: Frost, lol) used to help us where he can.

Whatever we do, urge or question, we don't know how fast or how slow it'll get debugged.
This discussion has been closed.