Options

Say something positive about: Star Trek: The Original Series

2»

Comments

• Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Echoing others:

"Balance of Terror" and "The Enterprise Incident" aka "the Romulan episodes".

"Day of the Dove"

"Trouble with Tribbles"

"The Doomsday Machine"

One that many folks forget, but was groundbreaking for the time: "The Menagerie", one of the first television two parters, and set the stage for Star Trek to have more serial storytelling, as two parters became a stable of the series. Also a very interesting exploration of Spock.

Shatner, Nimoy, Deforest, hell, the entire core cast were all fun actors who had good chemistry and great timing and were professionals. Shatner and Nimoy may have butted heads and hated each other... but nobody doubted Kirk and Spock were best friends.

They were also versatile, being able to go from a serious drama episode (say, "Balance of Terror") to a straight comedy episode (say, "Trouble With Tribbles") and sold their characters in BOTH roles with gusto, and without them seeming out of character.

Another positive... unlike every other Star Trek series, they did not take THREE SEASONS to get their legs under them. They hit the ground running and made excellent episodes that set the groundwork for everything Trek. Of course, they also had their stinker episodes, but the good generally outweighed the bad.

EDIT: Another thing was that unlike many future series (I'm looking at your TNG and Voy) the Kirk didn't always make the best decisions, he was sometimes outmaneuvered by his enemies (again, see "Balance of Terror") or had his crew question him in legitimate non-dismissive ways (like how the crew reacted in "The Enterprise Incident"). This made them more human and less distant. Kirk, out of all the Captains, always seemed the most human and real to me. Picard was to much of an idealized figure, and Janeway was... Janeway. Sisko was also very human though, and that's why he's my second favorite)... and Archer, well, he wasn't fit to command...
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    "City On The Edge Of Forever"
    "Balance of Terror"
    "The Corbamite Maneuver"
    "Space Seed"
    "Mirror, Mirror"
    "Amok Time"

I could go on... :D
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    "All right. It's instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands. But we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes. Knowing that we're not going to kill - today!"

Would have been nice if the TNG era had remembered that.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Say something positive about TOS? You mean only ONE? :D

So many great episodes, so many great scenes, so many great lines of dialog. Sometimes profound, sometimes poignant, and sometimes light-hearted, always entertaining.

But the best way to sum it up: Kirk-Spock-McCoy.

'Nuff said.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I could say a million things positive about TOS, but unfortunately every one of them becomes moot when yo0u factor in the terrible overacting of shatner.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One positive thing about TOS...? Difficult.

Ok... It's Star Trek. :P
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It would be easier to list the things I don't like. They are:

Spocks Brain,
    Mudds Women,
    Turnabout Intruder,
    and The Paradise Syndrome.

Everything else is gold. Or at least silver.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    McCoy and Spock were always funny together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVqmYzGTuM

some classic McCoy and Spock banter here
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited July 2014

Spocks Brain,
      Mudds Women,
      Turnabout Intruder,

I have to say that I actually liked Spock's Brain. the concept of the Morg and Eymorg was quite good IMO. It certainly had many faults though.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      spocks brain, that was just painful to watch and understand :P.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      spocks brain, that was just painful to watch and understand :P.
      Brain? what is Brain? :P
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Is it really necessary to say something positive about TOS? The show that spawned Star Trek?
      I'll admit the first ST show I've ever watched was TNG, however TOS has and forever will have a special place in my heart.
      HQroeLu.jpg
    • Options
      centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      I have to say that I actually liked Spock's Brain. the concept of the Morg and Eymorg was quite good IMO. It certainly had many faults though.

I will admit that the costume design for that episode was fantastic. The episode itself however was god awful.
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
      edited July 2014

Spocks Brain,
      Mudds Women,
      Turnabout Intruder,

You forgot "The Omega Glory". Which is probably the best thing to do with it anyway.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      I will admit that the costume design for that episode was fantastic. The episode itself however was god awful.
      I like the episode far more in concept than execution to be sure.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      shpoks wrote: »
      Is it really necessary to say something positive about TOS? The show that spawned Star Trek?
      I'll admit the first ST show I've ever watched was TNG, however TOS has and forever will have a special place in my heart.

Not everyone necessarily likes TOS, hence why these threads are all about 'say something postive about...'
      I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
      I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    • Options
      derkojote1derkojote1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      No show in history has had so much of an effect over such a long stretch of time, and the Original series started it. Sure look back on it now, from the prospective of a person who is immersed in better and more realistic effects in commercials you would scoff at the ones back then, and the cheesy dialog needed to sell the stories back then some times where monotonous but I will still watch it, and still dream and hope for a future where Man is out wandering the stars like that. I guess what I’m trying to say is, it’s the story that matters, not the means by which it’s told. Besides, without such a great beginning, it would never have lasted this long so, lift a glass to those who you walk in the shadow of, for without them none of the rest would have followed.
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      mimey2 wrote: »
      Not everyone necessarily likes TOS, hence why these threads are all about 'say something postive about...'
      yeah, it had a surprising amount of random idiocy. :(
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      majorone1 wrote: »
      As a kis I watched TOS first run on TV, my friends and I had half the playground playing Star Trek at recess. Youtune has "Star Trek Continues" now, a fan based professional production deticated to finishing the last 2 years of episodes from the orginal 5 year mission of the orginal series. If anyone hasn't seen it, it well worth a look. The attention to detail from the orginal series will blow your mind. :-) The actor who plays Kirk is spot on Kirk, and he is one of the driving forces behind the new show. Hard not to like the orginal series, after all, without it, we have nothing else that followed would we.

hey did a sequel to Mirror, Mirror that is excellent. they really need a better spock though.
      Grant imihara from Mythbusters plays Sulu
      sig.jpg
    • Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
      edited July 2014

Spocks Brain,
      Mudds Women,
      Turnabout Intruder,

Are you kidding? the subtext of Mudd's Women is amazing.

and six pages in and No one mentioned The Naked time, and the most Lucrative ST episode of all time.. Space Seed
      sig.jpg