test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Archer was the best captain

annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,630 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
1. didn't get lost (janeway)

2. didn't lose his space station (sisko)

3. didn't lose his ship (Sisko, Kirk x2 Picard x2)
We Want Vic Fontaine
Post edited by annemarie30 on

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014

1. Wrong. He got lost plenty of times. Including in time.

2. He never HAD a space station.

3. Technically true. But did he ever negotiate with sentient rocks? Defeat a Klingon assassin AND almost beat the other? Punch out Q? Defeat a Gorn in single combat? Steal a cloaking device from the Romulans?
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the story is more interesting when the loss of your space thingymajiggy whatsit is involved
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014

point 1 and point 3 are linked. azati prime and the aftermath.

as for 2, as i recall there were very few stations in the entire enterprise series the ones that stood out most was the ESY (enteprise was built and launched from above earth), the repair station with torres voice (the one that repaired enterprise after the romulan mine) and the cardassian station (tellarite kidnaps archer in exchange for his freighter). in any event how does 2 even fit into enterprise anyway?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited July 2014
    I appreciate that people will want to defend their favored captains against all comers, but if you think about it, Archer's ship flew about 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise command, and roughly 175 year before the rest of the captains. So that's like comparing a soldier at the time of the Alamo and the fight for Texas independence to a modern-day soldier. They're both men with possibly comparable characters, but their training, equipment, environment, and circumstances are so vastly different it makes a true comparison at least rather difficult, if not impossible.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    4. didn't commit treason (Janeway)

On the other hand, he did commit negligent genocide. So there's that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    4. didn't commit treason (Janeway)

On the other hand, he did commit negligent genocide. So there's that.

Which one was that? I can't quite remember.

Also, Shran was the best Captain. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    "Dear Doctor".
    Hell, any captain played by Jeffrey Combs is the best captain by default. The guy's just made of win. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    "Dear Doctor".

Hell, any captain played by Jeffrey Combs is the best captain by default. The guy's just made of win. :D

--Good catch.

--Well, duh! If they ever come out with a Dominion faction for STO, I'm making a Vorta to look like Weyoun and calling him Weyoun 116. Because win.

And my Ferengi toon is specifically made to look like Brunt. Because Brunt pwns.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We're talking about a dude who brings his dog to negotiations with a very sensitive race, then gets mad at them when his dog gets sick after it p*sses on a sacred tree.

I think that invalidates any and all possibility of him being better than the others.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    We're talking about a dude who brings his dog to negotiations with a very sensitive race, then gets mad at them when his dog gets sick after it p*sses on a sacred tree.

I think that invalidates any and all possibility of him being better than the others.

This. This is truth^^^
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1. Wrong. He got lost plenty of times. Including in time.

2. He never HAD a space station.

3. Technically true. But did he ever negotiate with sentient rocks? Defeat a Klingon assassin AND almost beat the other? Punch out Q? Defeat a Gorn in single combat? Steal a cloaking device from the Romulans?

Well, MIRROR Archer did beat a Gorn in single combat, but then later lost his ship and got stabbed to death, so that comes out as a wash.

And Archer did save Earth from total annihilation (But so did Picard and Data, two or three times...) And he was pivotal in the founding of the Federation.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    And Archer did save Earth from total annihilation (But so did Picard and Data, two or three times...) And he was pivotal in the founding of the Federation.

Don't forget, Kirk and Crew did as well, in ST4
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,175 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Archer didn't have much of a rulebook to work off of like the other Captains. Most of the time he was winging it. I think the closest Archer came to losing his ship was when the Ferengi boarded Enterprise to loot her. But he did outwit them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    teluas wrote: »
    Don't forget, Kirk and Crew did as well, in ST4

And in Star Trek: The Motion(less) Picture...

They also saved multiple worlds in the most densely populated region of space (TOS: "The Doomsday Machine")...

There's probably more times. Kirk and his crew saved a lot planets in their time.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »

Indeed. I could never take him seriously after that.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Shran lost his ship

at least I'm taking it from her post that she means the were destroyed.

personally after losing a ship I would never have given picard or kirk another set of keys
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    Well, MIRROR Archer did beat a Gorn in single combat, but then later lost his ship and got stabbed to death, so that comes out as a wash.

Mirror Archer got poisoned not stabbed by his consort

Archer stands out because he was the first starfleet captain to make friends with the Xindi primates, arboreals and aquatics and without their help Earth would have been destroyed
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Words

I have a better reason: He was reckless and would have made a better first officer than a Captain.

I have come to the conclusion that he's a homicidal sociopath with multiple personalities (one is a spoiled 6 year old girl, one is a kill-happy ex-army ranger with combat PTSD, and the other sexually frustrated wannabe college jock). It's hard to be more complicated or have more depth than that.

He might have also been the first captain to NOT be an automatic sex symbol, either in the media OR on the show. I mean, let's face it -- Hoshi Sato got more TRIBBLE than he did. And he NEVER...jumped...her!!

LOL I love Enterprise, for the record. But I also love poking fun of it.
      My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
    • Options
      deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Well, considering all the unknowns and the TRIBBLE ups he did... (who brings a dog to an alien planet???) he did well... as a captain not so much, but as a diplomat.
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,175 Community Moderator
      edited July 2014
      Archer basically wrote the book on being a frontier Captain, as Enterprise was the first Earth ship to go out and actively explore.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Archer basically wrote the book on being a frontier Captain, as Enterprise was the first Earth ship to go out and actively explore.

Yeah, he wrote the book, all right. Everyone read it, and then hopefully did the exact opposite.
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
      daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      Yeah, he wrote the book, all right. Everyone read it, and then hopefully did the exact opposite.

Say that To Captain Kirk...
      My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
    • Options
      tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
      edited July 2014
      "Why Archer was the best captain"

Duh. . .
      Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
      19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    • Options
      galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      tacofangs wrote: »

Duh. . .

One Internet for YOU, self-deprecating Dev who stole my immediate mental reaction and was willing to go there.

<respectful bow, followed by a Tip of the Hat.>
      Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
      It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
      THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
    • Options
      daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      this is your the opinion and i dont share it :)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      swimwear off risa not fixed
      system Lord Baal is dead
      macronius wrote: »
      This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    • Options
      felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      galadiman wrote: »
      One Internet for YOU, self-deprecating Dev who stole my immediate mental reaction and was willing to go there.

<respectful bow, followed by a Tip of the Hat.>

I also thought of this.

Check out Starcher Trek: http://starchertrek.com/
    • Options
      rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      tacofangs wrote: »

Duh. . .

Do you want ants? BECAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!
      bridges.jpg
      Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade