Install Arc
Options

SUGGESTION: New Ranks, Mix With The New Star Trek

2»

Comments

• Options
    xegiduaxegidua Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To add to the mix, "Commodore" in the Royal Navy sense (where the word really came into its own) originally had three meanings, and a third that didn't really use the word commodore

The "Senior captain" present whenever two or more ships were together had overall command of both (assuming no higher rank was present). Whether they'd both been captains for a week, or one had been a captain for 40 years longer. This was an unofficial commodore. The top 1/4-ish of captains were actually referred to as senior captains for the most part, and would usually have another ship along with theirs.

The most senior captain present, if in command of a convoy of merchant ships, however, WAS referred to as Commodore. Although this reflects the supervision of the convoy, rather than an actual rank.

Then there was the "not really" Commodore rank. An official designation given to a captain when given semi-permanent command of a squadron (ie at least 3-4 ships). Their official rank and pay was still that of a Captain, but they flew a broad pennant to designate the command and were referred to as commodore. This was used when a captain was deliberately given command of several ships for a while, ie the ships didn't just happen to be in the same place at the same time.

And finally was the "proper" Commodore rank, for which the Commodore was paid a higher wage and could wear the uniform of a rear admiral and fly a proper flag. They were basically mini-admirals, commanding larger, permanent squadrons, but not fleets.

This was a clearly defined rank below that of Rear Admiral, although carrying similar duties. Personally, I think that Commodore sounds like a better rank between Captain and Admiral, although it can cause some confusion in non-English-speaking countries, and unlike Captain/Admiral, the rank itself can be confusing. In Ireland, for example, the highest ranked naval officer is the Commodore.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    True.
    If there is one thing Star Trek has teached us, it is that the Captain should avoid being promoted to admiral at any cost. :D
    And lets not forget, felt 80% of all starfleet admirals are either crazy, cowards or one of various forms of idiots.
    +1

My characters are Captain (fed) , commander (rom) and colonel (KDF), let uninformed dumb npcs say what they want.
    Anyways, in Star Trek online is the highest Subcommander Kaol (the biggest SPHERE of influence)
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    considering there is an impending shift to a level 60 cap, they should retconn everyone.

1-10 Ensign

11-20 Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

21-30 Lieutenant

31-40 Lieutenant Commander

41-50 Commander

51-60 Captain

61-70 Fleet capt

71-80 Commodore

81-90 Rear Admiral

91-100 Vice Admiral

101+ Admiral
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    considering there is an impending shift to a level 60 cap, they should retconn everyone.

1-10 Ensign

21-30 Lieutenant

41-50 Commander

51-60 Captain

61-70 Fleet capt

71-80 Commodore

81-90 Rear Admiral

91-100 Vice Admiral

101-110 Admiral

111-120 Fleet Admiral

121 + Commander of Starfleet.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the level cap increase they could just separate the levels and rank but keep the levels at which you unlock a new rank the same for example you unlock Commodore (Rear Admiral Lower Half) at 40 but still get called what ever rank you have set your toon (like that will ever happen :rolleyes:).
  • Options
    edited July 2014

1-10 Ensign

21-30 Lieutenant

41-50 Commander

51-60 Captain

To me it looks like it will be not a level cap increase, so I stayed with 50 = captain (Starfleet) , otherwise I like your proposal.
    And "canon" klingon ranks are typical example, that in ST the canon is not to be taken too seriously. Rank Colonel I like it just because it is different from Starfleet , where a model taking American navy ranks, so the Klingons may have to be Russian , but actually it does not matter that much . According to wiki Klingons have generals , admirals , brigadiers , commanders , captains and colonels. But probably the closest would be the captain as Starfleet , so it may be the same.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As I've said many times, I would prefer that the ranks not be tied so strictly to level progression.

Sure, one can unlock higher ranks at higher levels, but I would like the game to force NPCs to address you by the rank of your choice (e.g. I can be a level 50 Captain, someone else can be a level 50 VA).
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    We simply have whats been said on screen, what been written on the script and what been shown on screen and no matter what, that overrides everything ... Klingons having generals instead of admirals is just a quirk, its still very much a naval service from what we seen, too many direct references have been made to simply swipe it under the rug and do something completely different.

So basically I do not care if it will be called the admiral or general , it's just that my character should have a lower rank than the quest-giver , so the captain or colonel. And as to the exact name know that 70 % of kdf currently (STO) are not Klingons , so the discussion is pointless .
    Moreover, even if STO is licensed , so devs allowed to change the cut up from the base of one whole f(r)action. So what would probably surprise fans of Klingons if they join the Federation, and fought with dinosaurs with lasers on their heads.

Airforce ranks are captain, colonel and general. It is unclear , in which order a rank in kdf are given. There are many generals in KDF but only one admiral and in addition he is from 22. century. Colonel Worf probably was not only lawyer, same as Duras. Btw in comparison i know one duff bad but well known tv show (JAG) where main character is colonel , retired fighter pilot and military lawyer.
    Personally, I would have been like if the ranks were original as the Cardassians and not made ​​by similar to USA, but simply the species invented in TOS are unlucky on it.
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, theres ranks in the game now that are not used, well, sorta, for Starfleet theres rank pips that are accessible from the tailor which goes

Chief
    Ensign
    Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Rear Admiral (Upper Half)
    Rear Admiral (Lower Half)
    Vice Admiral

Maybe they could just use those so they don't have to make new ones and extend the level cap that way. If anything, drop chief and start new players off as ensign then go to lieutenant junior grade. Maybe that way new players would stay new a lil longer in order to learn the game better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    IMHO at the highest rank we should achieve is "Fleet Captain".

Because we've gone above and beyond what a normal captain does but we still command a starship.

Because lets face it, most times Admirals do not sit in the hot seat. They sit on a lavish flag bridge and command squadrons and fleets while captain runs the actual ship the admiral flies his flag on.

I say 50 should of been captain or fleet captain.

In the Star Trek universe Admirals are permitted usage of a ship as their "Personal flagship".