What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New oddy uniform color layouts

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    Like an "Expeditionary Force." I think in this context it essentially means these are the uniforms worn by officers going into a military situation. Ground troops. These are probably what you'll see the Federation combat mobs in-game wearing.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,460 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Expeditionary ... I don't understand ...
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Like an "Expeditionary Force." I think in this context it essentially means these are the uniforms worn by officers going into a military situation. Ground troops. These are probably what you'll see the Federation combat mobs in-game wearing.

Yes, exactly this. On Twitter, Thomas referred to them as Federation Combat Group NPCs.
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I hope we get guides to Mirror Universe Odyssey uniforms as well.

I asked Thomas specifically about this. He said he hadn't heard anything yet. I'm wondering if that means he's waiting on guidance for the go ahead on uniforms before he starts them.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Those combat uniforms look a little silly.

If I was a Commander, I wouldn't be carrying all that weight when there's a handy Ensign to lug it around for me.

Somebody ask him on Twitter why the higher ranking officers aren't making the lower ranking officers schlep the stuff around, like in real life. :P
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thomas Has Done It Again! :D

Expeditionary Uniforms:

Tactical

Science

Engineering

I Want Some Color Guides!! :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Those combat uniforms look a little silly.

If I was a Commander, I wouldn't be carrying all that weight when there's a handy Ensign to lug it around for me.

Somebody ask him on Twitter why the higher ranking officers aren't making the lower ranking officers schlep the stuff around, like in real life. :P

Well, considering that they're mainly for the NPCs, I'm guessing it's a quick visual clue as to who's the tougher opponent. Higher rank = more gear = tougher fighter.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    i Want Some Color Guides!! :d

They're using the same Expeditionary color guides that have already been put out, just adding the gear on.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    They're using the same Expeditionary color guides that have already been put out, just adding the gear on.

That's what I want the guides for - the gear!!
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    That's what I want the guides for - the gear!!

Heck! Eyeball it. It's not that difficult what with the pics right in front of you.

With some experimenting, it looks like most of the gear is using (P1) for the Tactical gear, (P5) for the Science gear, and (P20) for the Engineering gear. And while the Blue and Yellow lights can be made for SCIs and ENGs, FEDs don't have access to Red lights for the TACs.

TAC
    Lieutenants: Eng Technician 1 Chest, Sci Scientist 1 Right Wrist, Eng Combat 2 Belt
    Commnaders: Security 1 Shoulders, Sci Scientist 1 Chest, Sci Scientist 2 Right Wrist, Security 3 Belt

SCI
    Lieutenants: Eng Technician 1 Chest, Sci Scientist 1 Right Wrist, Sci Scientist 2 Belt
    Commanders: Security 1 Shoulders, Sci Doctor 2 Chest, Sci Scientist 2 Right Wrist, Sci Researcher 3 Belt

ENG
    Lieutenants: Eng Technician 1 Chest, Sci Scientist 1 Right Wrist, Eng Fabrication 3 Belt
    Commanders: Security 1 Left Shoulder, Eng Technician 1 Right Shoulder, Eng Technician 1 Chest, Sci Scientist 2 Right Wrist, Eng Fabrication 5 Belt
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thomas the Cryptic Cat has made a nice PDF file of the Starfleet Uniform Code 2410:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji0l9nt7q43r2bx/Starfleet_Uniform_Code_2410_web.pdf
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thomas the Cryptic Cat has made a nice PDF file...

:eek:

I have no words...

:eek:

(I mean to say that is friggin' totally awesome!)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thomas the Cryptic Cat has made a nice PDF file of the Starfleet Uniform Code 2410:

NICE!!! :D

/download
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    alan1701halan1701h Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thank you Thomas!!! Great, great job!!! :cool:
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The just need to add the missing Odyssey Long Jacket to the list and I'll be set. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    The just need to add the missing Odyssey Long Jacket to the list and I'll be set. Thanks

The Odyssey Long Jacket is used on the Medical Service Uniform, Flag Officer Service Uniform, and Starfleet Enlisted Dress Uniform. I'm not sure what more you're looking for. :confused:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is amazing!

I especially love the descriptions below the color codes about when and why the uniforms are worn. This is awesome!

Side note - I haven't played in a LONG time, but the Star Trek Facebook page mentioned 9.5, so I read the article at StarTrek.com, and was curious about the new uniforms... Fantastic work!
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm still confused as to whether captains should, canonically, wear the color/badge/dress uniform of their specialization or red/command, as in the captains variant. Guessing they should, but the game removing command as a division has kind of muddied things (and honestly, I think I'll continue to use specialization anyway, for a little variety).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm still confused as to whether captains should, canonically, wear the color/badge/dress uniform of their specialization or red/command, as in the captains variant. Guessing they should, but the game removing command as a division has kind of muddied things (and honestly, I think I'll continue to use specialization anyway, for a little variety).

I believe it now goes to division color/badge, hence the white shoulders for command.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Well even in TOS and DS9 didn't seem to stick to high ranked officers wearing the command color sometimes, with flag officers wearing the operations division color.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I thought there was only one flag officer in all of Post-TOS that did not wear Command Red, and that was possibly a costuming oversight.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the white shoulders is the signal for "command". Thus, you would still use the career/badge of the chosen track.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This is a question that Thomas put out on Twitter as he was making the color guides. I think where he landed was if you are the commander in charge of a starship or an admiral in charge of starships, you wear red. If you hold the rank of captain, but don't command a starship, you wear your department color, and if you're an admiral and are not in charge of a fleet (like say if you were in charge of a science division or something like that) you also wear your department color.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the white shoulders is the signal for "command". Thus, you would still use the career/badge of the chosen track.

I think it is supposed to be a nod to the books where Ezri Dax is Captain of the U.S.S. Aventine.
    (sorry i haven't read them)

Personally i don't like the whole color coding of the standard ody uniforms. Way too dark and making the Captain stand out by wearing a bright white shoulder part makes it even worse.
    Flag officer uniform doesn't look bad per se, but a (almost) completely black uniforms doesn't fit to starfleet IMO.

But on the other hand i'm thorn between using a different color coding and the standard Odyssey uniform, i just like it consistent. And to be honest, they are still WAY better than the chaos we had before.
    And THANKS we don't have to wear those HUGE goofy looking shoulder parts like the Romulans and some Klingons, lol.

One more thing i don't understand. I know we can use whatever uniform we want, but i keep seeing people using the correct uniform pattern, but use their department coloring (like blue -> science, gold -> engineering). Didn't the page say that Captain was supposed to wear red, just like in the shows?
    Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining, i'm just curious.

EDIT:
    This is a question that Thomas put out on Twitter as he was making the color guides. I think where he landed was if you are the commander in charge of a starship or an admiral in charge of starships, you wear red. If you hold the rank of captain, but don't command a starship, you wear your department color, and if you're an admiral and are not in charge of a fleet (like say if you were in charge of a science division or something like that) you also wear your department color.
    Thanks!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I ended up asking Mr. Marrone about this on Twitter last night and got an answer:
    Don't have an official answer but I'll tell you how I'm playing it.

My captains are staying with career color and badge until they hit the "captain" rank.

Then I'm going to switch them to red as they are now Captains and officially in the command branch.

https://twitter.com/Cryptic_TtC/status/491026127293386752
    https://twitter.com/Cryptic_TtC/status/491026190912602112
    https://twitter.com/Cryptic_TtC/status/491026287452884993
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Personally i don't like the whole color coding of the standard ody uniforms. Way too dark and making the Captain stand out by wearing a bright white shoulder part makes it even worse.
    Flag officer uniform doesn't look bad per se, but a (almost) completely black uniforms doesn't fit to starfleet IMO.

There were some 500 episodes and four movies where starfleet wore almost completely black uniforms. Just sayin. But the regulation is still in place for ship captains to determine their own uniforms. So you can still wear what you want :)
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There were some 500 episodes and four movies where starfleet wore almost completely black uniforms. Just sayin. But the regulation is still in place for ship captains to determine their own uniforms. So you can still wear what you want :)
    True, but it felt wrong IMO.
    Maybe because i have grown up watching TOS and then TNG, i think black uniforms look like fake "grim", like the makers desperately tried to make starfleet look badass.
    (if you know what i mean. )
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    True, but it felt wrong IMO.
    Maybe because i have grown up watching TOS and then TNG, i think black uniforms look like fake "grim", like the makers desperately tried to make starfleet look badass.
    (if you know what i mean. )

A matter of taste I suppose. I like my Star Trek darker.

Although I do have to admit, my favorite uniforms were always the Wrath of Khan style. In fact I'm thinking about putting one my crews in the Odyssey Dress uniforms, but with Wrath of Khan colors.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm ok with the darkness of the overall uniform because that's the way it was leading towards, from my point of view. I'm very much appreciating the 'order' being presented.

Yet, since we still have personal control over the crew under our command, then I'll keep my white-shouldered, blue-striped Captain's suit :) EDIT - gonna have to change my avatar ...
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    White on top look I still out on that one. I had made a Medical uniform for my Fed Sci and had popped into to see the doctor on my ship. But found out he was wearing standard Odyssey uniform. Where as doctor on ESD is wearing the new Odyssey uniform with the long jacket I don't have that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for posting/publishing these. I have updated all my Fed toons and their BOffs with them.

The only deviation I made was for my female toon's dress uniform. I have her wearing an Academy skirt instead of Academy pants - in part as an homage to the TOS unis, but mainly just because it's easier on the eye. ;) The skirt has the same thin stripe along the sides as the pants, so using the same colors it still maintains the same basic style as the "official" dress uniform.
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited July 2014