test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lagging/Freezing in the Foundry Editor

djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
I've been getting some major lagging/freezing issues in the Editor since the 9.5 patch came out. So far it seems to happen mostly when I click on the Maps and Character Tabs. It will take 20 to 30 seconds for everything underneath the tabs will show up. Also, if I move an object or change something on a costume, the whole thing freezes for 20 to 30 seconds. I opened up a few of my missions and the problem seems to happen in every one.
Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    jeremydajaojeremydajao Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm having major foundry lag myself :/ Same issue except it takes about 30 seconds to even move a character
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm observing a 3-4 second delay between select and response. I know we've seen something like this crop up before following an update, but I don't know what fixed it last time.

I should also note, I haven't tried it since last night's emergency patch.
  • Options
    jaguaro70jaguaro70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am having the same issues. Lag with the Maps and Costume tabs. I didn't try the Story or Dialog but I would think they have the same lag. The time caries from 15 to 30 seconds. I also didn't attempt to try and edit the project.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm observing a 3-4 second delay between select and response. I know we've seen something like this crop up before following an update, but I don't know what fixed it last time.

I should also note, I haven't tried it since last night's emergency patch.

I tried it right after the patch was finished. It was still doing it.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am not experiencing any of this in the editor. I tested all kinds of tasks from alt tabbing to recostuming, to putting in markers and editing dialogue.

There were no delays for me on an existing mission created prior to 9.5.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Folks with problems might want to check the PC, Network & Other Technical Issues forum to see if anyone there can help as this doesn't seem to be an issue affecting everyone. That limits what we can do and points to anything from hardware issues on the player's end to connectivity issues with ISPs that might also be involved.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Folks with problems might want to check the PC, Network & Other Technical Issues forum to see if anyone there can help as this doesn't seem to be an issue affecting everyone. That limits what we can do and points to anything from hardware issues on the player's end to connectivity issues with ISPs that might also be involved.

I'm not sure on that. I just upgraded my internet, there's been no issues with anything else and Im getting 30 MB/s. Plus its EXCLUSIVELY affecting the Foundry for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    stcaptainquirkystcaptainquirky Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have the same problem. When I try to work on the foundry project I created prior to the update every click causes a 20 to 30 second delay. Editing dialog is very messy this way and doing anything else like placing moving or rotating objects or NPCs is close to impossible.

I did create a new test project, picked a map and placed some objects and everything worked fine without any delays so it's definitely NOT a hardware or connectivity issue on my part. It seems that only the project I started prior to the update is affected by this lags.

I found some old thread that indicates that something similar happened before.

Would it be any help to post the ID of the affected project ?
    SaSOGlo.png
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2014

As best we can tell, it's extremely widespread and exclusive to the STO Foundry editor.
    I found some old thread that indicates that something similar happened before.

It did, following the launch of Legacy of Romulus if memory serves. This is very similar to that.
  • Options
    councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've been having the issue since 9.5, of course. Same as everyone else.

I have no ISP issues with anything but the Foundry. Hardware is fine. I've made no changes to my system recently and everything else is working as expected.
    AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can confirm that, at least for me, the lag is occurring on projects that existed prior to Season 9.5, and not a project that I just created after. I also attempted to copy a previously existing project, and the lag was still there. Only fresh projects are unaffected for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    OK, I thought I wasn't experiencing this, but I am. It must be because my "pre-9.5" projects that I tested before thursday were created after pre-patching.

But anything made prior to that moves at a snail's pace, with a 20 second delay just for the Foundry to recognize that I clicked something.

I am also experiencing black screens that stay black for 10-20 seconds, as if my drivers are crashing and recovering, but I think it's actually a black screen inside the Foundry.

We ALL may be experiencing this on projects created prior to this week. Please check your older missions.

The mission that I confirmed it was an old project called "Helna of Troy" ST-HUDZ7MXOS

Edit: Also, we may need to test this further. The reason that we don't experience on new projects may be because of a lack of custom costumes. In that old thread, the culprit was changes to costume creator. Nagorak had the slowest mission because he had the most custom characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I made a new project and worked on it for about an hour. After I made about 15 costumes, it started to lag considerably.

I made a map, and before I was able to place objects or move it around, the lag increased with each click.
    AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I made a new project and worked on it for about an hour. After I made about 15 costumes, it started to lag considerably.

I made a map, and before I was able to place objects or move it around, the lag increased with each click.

Thank you for confirming this. It must be related to something with the costume editor, or maybe the lag increases with the complexity of a map in general.

Edit: Anyone else seeing this?

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/foundrybug9.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Thank you for confirming this. It must be related to something with the costume editor, or maybe the lag increases with the complexity of a map in general.

Edit: Anyone else seeing this?

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/foundrybug9.jpg

I do. Seemingly only on contacts for which I used premade costumes but not on those for which I used edited costumes.

Complexity could be a problem. I use 31 selfmade costumes in my project (well 32 if you count that one space ship) but I actually finished making them and started using the first ones in my project a few days before the update without any noticeable negative effects on the performance of the editor.
    SaSOGlo.png
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Having the same problem even on a newly made project. For every costume I added the lag would increase, deleting costumes would cause the lag to decrease.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am having this problem as well.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    theenigma106theenigma106 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm experiencing the same thing, I restarted my computer, the application itself and same thing. Lags whenever I want to edit something, scrolling through the story tab is relatively painless but editing things on the map like oh say, putting an item in the map then dragging it around to where you want it to be literally takes me 5 minutes to do... It's undoable! Please, this must be fixed fast, I want to update my foundry mission! Editing dialogue is also a pain!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Having the same problem even on a newly made project. For every costume I added the lag would increase, deleting costumes would cause the lag to decrease.
    Yeah, I opened an old project with no costumes, editing was quick and smooth. Opening a project with several costumes made things drag like molasses....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    OK, so it looks like it's time to re-optimize. From jfinder's explanation from S6:
    I thought you might like to know what happened.

The new slowdown is primarily the result of changes to the Costume Editor. This means the more costumes you have, the slower your editing would be. Nagorak, your missions performed the worst out of everyone in this thread because you create so many custom costume. (BTW, Nagorak's missions are awesome because of all the custom costumes he makes. You should play them.)

On my test computer on one of Nagorak's projects, it would take 660 ms to update the UI after each change. On Tribble, it now takes 280 ms to update the UI. Once all the optimizations get in, it will take 180 ms to update the UI after each change. (These numbers are all on my computer. A slower computer will run slower.)

However, I don't remember the black screens of death with "Star Trek Online (Not Responding)." What may or may not be weird is I tried to fraps the black screens, but fraps continued to see the foundry UI although my game was black.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I loves me my costumes (a few of my older missions are maxed out on costumes, actually), and the Foundry is running like tree sap in January for me. Editing maps is essentially impossible on missions I want to tweak, and dialog and story changes take a very long time too. Ironically, the costume editor, while laggy, isn't nearly as unusable as the other tabs.
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can confirm that more costumes = more lag for me.

Is there some way to work around this, other than holding off on making costumes until the rest of the mission is done?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I can confirm that more costumes = more lag for me.

Is there some way to work around this, other than holding off on making costumes until the rest of the mission is done?

That is the only work around I can think of. Do the costumes last. Maybe try to find a cryptic npc that most matches the character and then changing it AFTER everything else is done. Not easy to write dialogue for characters if they don't look like you imagine.

But that's probably the only work around. Don't use custom costumes unless everything else is done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That is the only work around I can think of. Do the costumes last. Maybe try to find a cryptic npc that most matches the character and then changing it AFTER everything else is done. Not easy to write dialogue for characters if they don't look like you imagine.

But that's probably the only work around. Don't use custom costumes unless everything else is done.

Or another work around is to keep talking about the problem until Cryptic decides to deal with it. Bugs that effect a good portion of the playerbase usually gets dealt with quickly these days (look at how quickly the new Risa stuff got added back when they were removed on launch day of Season 9.5).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Please Frost aknowledge that the foundry lag in the Foundry
    editor bug affects EVERYONE and makes impossible to use it... check the forums...
    Do something, please, we authors are spending a great deal of time and efforts into it, we all want simply to have foundry editor back the way it was
  • Options
    maninblack017maninblack017 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am also experiencing severe lag in the costume editor part. I haven't tried any other parts of the Foundry editor yet simply because I was working on changing over all of the costumes in my mission to the Odyssey uniforms to promote better continuity. However, with the lagging it's nearly unbearable to do that.

I acknowledge that I run STO on a 3-year old laptop and I often wonder if that's the root of any performance issues I encounter but this particular problem has only be experienced since the release of 9.5. I was not having this problem prior to that. Hoping that me reporting this helps in some way, shape, or form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The time has come to see the world as it is." - Captain James T. Kirk
    Twitter - @SDVargo
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I am also experiencing severe lag in the costume editor part. I haven't tried any other parts of the Foundry editor yet simply because I was working on changing over all of the costumes in my mission to the Odyssey uniforms to promote better continuity. However, with the lagging it's nearly unbearable to do that.

I acknowledge that I run STO on a 3-year old laptop and I often wonder if that's the root of any performance issues I encounter but this particular problem has only be experienced since the release of 9.5. I was not having this problem prior to that. Hoping that me reporting this helps in some way, shape, or form.

It's not your comp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd really like this to be resolved soon. One of the newer patches (not sure which one, as I've been away from STO for several months) seems to have screwed up the combat AI for ground mobs on "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line", rendering them much more difficult than they used to be (it's a lot easier to defeat groups of mobs when they don't band together into a massive army and charge you all at once), and with this Foundry lag, it's pretty much impossible to fix the problems in the map editor.
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Frost will probably respond tomorrow with "Can those of you experiencing this please post your mission IDs?"

Why don't we do it preemptively?

If you have a mission where the lag is especially bad, please post the ST- ID and mission name. I already did earlier in the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Frost will probably respond tomorrow with "Can those of you experiencing this please post your mission IDs?"

Why don't we do it preemptively?

If you have a mission where the lag is especially bad, please post the ST- ID and mission name. I already did earlier in the thread.

Ok, here is mine (still unpublished and about 70% done but nearly impossible to edit right now)...

Name: Damsel in distress

ID: ST-HBBOWORV5

Hopefully this will get fixed soon.
    SaSOGlo.png
This discussion has been closed.