test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about R&D leveling up

2»

Comments

• jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where do you go to even start the new crafting? I'm relatively new to the game in general and just started figuring out Memory Alpha when everything changed. Do I go back to memory alpha for some tutorial on the new crafting system?

DOFF UI, its a new tab in there, memory alpha is closed
  • rwscissorsrwscissors Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ok so now I'm seeing some say that trading in rare data samples only give you common/uncommon back, and that it is a glitch? So do we hang onto our old rares until its fixed?:(

At this point I would think you might as well just use them if you have them. I didn't have much, what I did have I sold in the exchange last week.
  • bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They dont know what they are talking about, maybe 25% of traces will become rares, its a chance thing, and its not gonna change

That's what was hoping. Thanks.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DOFF UI, its a new tab in there, memory alpha is closed

There, but where to you obtain the actual tutorial? The one that awards the 15 crafting DOffs, I have plenty of space for them.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• r1shathrar1shathra Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ravin wrote: »
    There, but where to you obtain the actual tutorial? The one that awards the 15 crafting DOffs, I have plenty of space for them.

There is no R&D tutorial yet in game. When first logging in after the 9.5 update, you will get the R&D doffs added automatically. It will then run through a small introduction to the new DOFF interface, but nothing specific to the R&D tab. Today Captain Smirk did a livestream of the new R&D system, which I think was meant as a tutorial of sorts. You can play it back on the PWE Twitch channel. I asked him if there was a R&D tutorial in the game yet and he said no, not yet.

I think what a lot of folks are missing out on is the simple fact that the R&D system has been intergated into the DOFF system. So if you have any half decent DOFFs already, you have a half decent R&D team. You don't need any of the free starter DOFFs, you will be deleting them, like I did, to make room for the keepers. A pre-existing blue warp engineer DOFF is going to be pretty good at making warp cores in the new R&D system.

And remember, it is being tweaked. No new set of features like this, added to any MMO are perfect right out of the box. Use it, find out what you don't like and post your feedback. Even the slightest nudge one direction or the other may make it work for you.

John
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    r1shathra wrote: »
    There is no R&D tutorial yet in game. When first logging in after the 9.5 update, you will get the R&D doffs added automatically. It will then run through a small introduction to the new DOFF interface, but nothing specific to the R&D tab. Today Captain Smirk did a livestream of the new R&D system, which I think was meant as a tutorial of sorts. You can play it back on the PWE Twitch channel. I asked him if there was a R&D tutorial in the game yet and he said no, not yet.

I think what a lot of folks are missing out on is the simple fact that the R&D system has been intergated into the DOFF system. So if you have any half decent DOFFs already, you have a half decent R&D team. You don't need any of the free starter DOFFs, you will be deleting them, like I did, to make room for the keepers. A pre-existing blue warp engineer DOFF is going to be pretty good at making warp cores in the new R&D system.

And remember, it is being tweaked. No new set of features like this, added to any MMO are perfect right out of the box. Use it, find out what you don't like and post your feedback. Even the slightest nudge one direction or the other may make it work for you.

John

Ah, cool. Yeah, got a good assortment of DOff's, and looking through the list I have a good number of common's I didn't have before. And I'm sure somewhere in there is the Blue one I got for maxing the old crafting.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I tried it a few times and that's pretty much what I got. a 25% chance of blue, and the rest were whites and greens(although small stacks)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trilljinxtrilljinx Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Considering the average life span of a human being is around 70 years, I'd say yes, spending an entire year of that life waiting to unlock some consoles IS a tad excessive, numpty.

Numpty? Really?

This is an MMO. You know, designed to keep people playing. Besides, even if you think a year is excessive, you didn't respond to the rest of my post.

1 mission, 20 hours, and then you can run two missions simultaneously. That cuts your year down to six months. Another two, maybe three or four days, then you have three missions you can run at the same time. That'll cut another few months off the total time.

4 months? Sounds like a reasonable grind to me. And that is, of course, reduced further when you unlock the fourth and fifth crafting slot.