test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about R&D leveling up

jaxinajaxina Member Posts: 69 Arc User
dont know if this is intended or a bug,

as i level up R&D school engineering the needed exp from level 2 to 3 suddenly jumped from 1000 to 10000 and doesnt revert back even after log out or restart
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Intended, welcome to the grind.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    seannewboy wrote: »
    Intended, welcome to the grind.

Yep, just wait until you get further on.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I believe the total xp for each school is 2,000,000 and the 20hr projects give you 6,000 xp. Eventually, you should be able to slot 5 of those projects at one time though. But yeah it will take you a few months to level all without Dilithium.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The main problem for me isn't the grind but... you can only make useless items :(
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you're a level 50, or anywhere near it, I'd advise that you don't start trying to craft anything.

Do the 20 hr assignment for 6000 xp until you get your skill up in that school. Unlock more crafting slots. It won't consume a lot of materials that you're going to need later on.

And you're going to want to get ahold of those rare materials. You can't craft Mk VIII or higher without them. So take your time and stockpile.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think the best way to do this is as the Moderator says. Level your favorite school to level 5, this should open 3 slots I believe, then go to your second favorite school and level that to 5. Go to your third favorite school and level that to five. At this point you should have 4 slots opened. Now just bum rush your first choice to level 15 by putting in the 20hr project in all four slots.
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Grind is rediculous on this one, doing the 20 hour projects focusing on one school your looking at a 55 day grind to level 1 school. That of course assumes the 2mil number is correct, with the terrible communication we have been getting lately they haven't bothered to give us any real detail on the crafting levels, or when we unlock traits.

So for 7 schools, 55 days each, 385 days to level all 7. So far I am sitting this one out, just can't bring myself to start a grind that is this absurd.
  • Options
    trilljinxtrilljinx Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    Grind is rediculous on this one, doing the 20 hour projects focusing on one school your looking at a 55 day grind to level 1 school. That of course assumes the 2mil number is correct, with the terrible communication we have been getting lately they haven't bothered to give us any real detail on the crafting levels, or when we unlock traits.

So for 7 schools, 55 days each, 385 days to level all 7. So far I am sitting this one out, just can't bring myself to start a grind that is this absurd.

So, little over a year, doing one mission per day that requires all of 30 seconds, is too much of a grind? In just a few days you can have a second, maybe even third slot open, so that cuts the time by 50/66%, and it is still too much of a grind for you?

Wow, and I thought I was lazy...
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2014
    Considering the average life span of a human being is around 70 years, I'd say yes, spending an entire year of that life waiting to unlock some consoles IS a tad excessive, numpty.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the best way to do this is as the Moderator says. Level your favorite school to level 5, this should open 3 slots I believe, then go to your second favorite school and level that to 5. Go to your third favorite school and level that to five. At this point you should have 4 slots opened. Now just bum rush your first choice to level 15 by putting in the 20hr project in all four slots.
    This is what i intend to do.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Considering the average life span of a human being is around 70 years, I'd say yes, spending an entire year of that life waiting to unlock some consoles IS a tad excessive, numpty.

yeah except to unlock the specific console, only take 27 or so day, and then 27 more to get the max chance of top rarity
  • Options
    borgqubborgqub Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    so what happens to the levels I had in the old system?
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    borgqub wrote: »

It's GONE, Macready.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    borgqub wrote: »

They're void like a bad check...
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm displeased with the massive grind INTENDED to get us to buy dil with real world money to bypass it.

That's just hideous.

But, on top of that the aesthetics are totally gone. I, for one, do NOT want to rely on the 100% borked results of the doff system, where 100% sure success means you fail. Nice math, there.

However, you go to the R&D screen and you get nothing. You see components. For what? These are useless. I don't have recipes. I need a tech tree list like from Civilizations, that say "I want THIS, which means I do this that and that, to GET to this" -- none of that is available. So you don't know what end items need which parts.

It's really a terrible implementation and design for a crafting system, including the part where your end results are randomly dictated by the poor math Cryptic's DOFF system uses.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    If you're a level 50, or anywhere near it, I'd advise that you don't start trying to craft anything.

Do the 20 hr assignment for 6000 xp until you get your skill up in that school. Unlock more crafting slots. It won't consume a lot of materials that you're going to need later on.

And you're going to want to get ahold of those rare materials. You can't craft Mk VIII or higher without them. So take your time and stockpile.

No no no...

1) Run a single Mk II project
    2) Run a single Mk VI project
    3) Unlock 2nd craft slot
    4) Chain run XP projects until lvl 4 in a single school
    5) Unlock 3rd craft slot
    6) Get to lvl 5 in your first school
    7) Get to lvl 5 in two more schools
    8) Unlock 4th craft slot
    9) Chain run XP projects in your first school until lvl 15
    10) Unlock 5th craft slot
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    tribbleorlfltribbleorlfl Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've been out of the game for nearly 2 months due to computer troubles and family responsibilities, so I apologize if this has been answered: if we had achieved all tiers under the prior crafting system, do we have to start from scratch under the new one? Is there any kind of conversion for the old particle traces and unreplicatable materials?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've been out of the game for nearly 2 months due to computer troubles and family responsibilities, so I apologize if this has been answered: if we had achieved all tiers under the prior crafting system, do we have to start from scratch under the new one? Is there any kind of conversion for the old particle traces and unreplicatable materials?

Yes you have to start the new one. Right click on your old traces and use to convert it.
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    question on the materials. We have a fleet bank full of gases, particle traces, ect. These are now all useless besides converting them into the new system, correct? I just don't want to convert all of the rare stuff if it might be used somewhere else.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    question on the materials. We have a fleet bank full of gases, particle traces, ect. These are now all useless besides converting them into the new system, correct? I just don't want to convert all of the rare stuff if it might be used somewhere else.

you are correct
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm displeased with the massive grind INTENDED to get us to buy dil with real world money to bypass it.

That's just hideous.

But, on top of that the aesthetics are totally gone. I, for one, do NOT want to rely on the 100% borked results of the doff system, where 100% sure success means you fail. Nice math, there.

However, you go to the R&D screen and you get nothing. You see components. For what? These are useless. I don't have recipes. I need a tech tree list like from Civilizations, that say "I want THIS, which means I do this that and that, to GET to this" -- none of that is available. So you don't know what end items need which parts.

It's really a terrible implementation and design for a crafting system, including the part where your end results are randomly dictated by the poor math Cryptic's DOFF system uses.

click beam array, select mark and energy type, confirm, and behold, your recipe is now staring you in the face.

congrats, you've just figured out the crafting system
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Dam I really hate the new system :

- you lvl up faster than you craft your stuff
    - you can't cancel tasks
    - Shared doffs, if you don't pay attention on your assignments you are not able to craft anymore
    - you have to craft stuff 1 per 1 (really boring for components)
    - no consumable stuff to craft
    - lvling take a while so you have almost 0 chance to craft something better than common
    - the components are at the top in replicator
    - after MkVI it's not worthing to craft

Seriously, this one of the worst crafting system I ever saw in any mmorpg.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lamyrs wrote: »
    Dam I really hate the new system :

- you lvl up faster than you craft your stuff
    - you can't cancel tasks
    - Shared doffs, if you don't pay attention on your assignments you are not able to craft anymore
    - you have to craft stuff 1 per 1 (really boring for components)
    - no consumable stuff to craft
    - lvling take a while so you have almost 0 chance to craft something better than common
    - the components are at the top in replicator
    - after MkVI it's not worthing to craft

Seriously, this one of the worst crafting system I ever saw in any mmorpg.

first thing, once you hit higher levels, you can easiy guarantee MK VR and rares for MK XI and MK XII, add a VR DOFF and catalysts, you can get VR MK XII every time at lvl 20
  • Options
    draconir83draconir83 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This might be a little off topic to what the OP is asking but speaking of R&D doffs, any idea where to get more (and better) ones from? Maybe it's blatantly obvious but I can't seem to track any down...
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lamyrs wrote: »
    - you can't cancel tasks

This. Like the rep system, I assume that it will be added at some point. But why not have it in right off the bat? Now that we have had a similar experience in the rep system, it should have been totally obvious to add a cancellation option built in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    This. Like the rep system, I assume that it will be added at some point. But why not have it in right off the bat? Now that we have had a similar experience in the rep system, it should have been totally obvious to add a cancellation option built in.

With rep you can cancel only before you start the assignment, the cancel button for crafting is in the bottom right
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    draconir83 wrote: »
    This might be a little off topic to what the OP is asking but speaking of R&D doffs, any idea where to get more (and better) ones from? Maybe it's blatantly obvious but I can't seem to track any down...

Theres a new 1k dil assignment at starfleet academy (not the same as the old one) that gives em
    also c-store packs now drop them
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ok so now I'm seeing some say that trading in rare data samples only give you common/uncommon back, and that it is a glitch? So do we hang onto our old rares until its fixed?:(
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ok so now I'm seeing some say that trading in rare data samples only give you common/uncommon back, and that it is a glitch? So do we hang onto our old rares until its fixed?:(

They dont know what they are talking about, maybe 25% of traces will become rares, its a chance thing, and its not gonna change
  • Options
    omnissiah72omnissiah72 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where do you go to even start the new crafting? I'm relatively new to the game in general and just started figuring out Memory Alpha when everything changed. Do I go back to memory alpha for some tutorial on the new crafting system?