test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Caution!! New Doff system will Kill doffs if not careful. [Auto-select Issues]

spike74656spike74656 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
Anyone else feel Like this new Autoselect algorithim as actually designed to give a higher chance of Killing your better Doffs.

Befoe this I would NEVER but purple doffs on a mission if there was A high Casualty risk and a chance of disaster. Now I have to pay alot of attention to make sure this doesnt happen as the autoselect will always do this!!!

Also it certainly doesnt work out the best crit chance for all missions Either. For most assignments I have been able to improve the crit chance by swapping the Doffs.

So

It doesnt give best Crit Chance
It doesnt give best Success Chance
It DOES make it more lightly you will Loose high quality Doffs if your not on the ball!!

Thoughts and opinions?
Post edited by spike74656 on

Comments

• jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    spike74656 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel Like this new Autoselect algorithim as actually designed to give a higher chance of Killing your better Doffs.

Befoe this I would NEVER but purple doffs on a mission if there was A high Casualty risk and a chance of disaster. Now I have to pay alot of attention to make sure this doesnt happen as the autoselect will always do this!!!

Also it certainly doesnt work out the best crit chance for all missions Either. For most assignments I have been able to improve the crit chance by swapping the Doffs.

So

It doesnt give best Crit Chance
    It doesnt give best Success Chance
    It DOES make it more lightly you will Loose high quality Doffs if your not on the ball!!

Thoughts and opinions?

It may not be perfect, but it does give MUCH better crit chances than it used to

Also it simply slots what it thinks are the best DOFFs for the task, ignoring casualty rate because it is just meant to optimize crit chances
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can't kill purples with disaster results. Only whites will actually die. Green and up go to sick bay.
  • spike74656spike74656 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dont know about most people but I would rather a slightly lower crit chance and NO CHANCE of loosing my purple doffs.

They could do with a couple of options.

1: Recomendations for best success chance

2: Recomendation for best balance of Success then Crit

3: Recomendation for best Crit

Also notice now how most of the interface is BIG but the casualty risk is just some small text at the top right? Make that bigger so we don't miss it!!!

And of course add back in some of the features of the old doff system.
    edited July 2014
    You can't kill purples with disaster results. Only whites will actually die. Green and up go to sick bay.

Are you sure??? I've never actually risked a purple myself but have been told by others that they have had purples killed on mission.

If this can be confirmed then fair point and I take back what I said.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It has been documented by Cryptic in the past.

You CAN, however, grind/trade/kill them if the mission explicitly says "this will result in the loss of your officer" such as KDF "execute mutineer" or officer exchanges. I got royally BONED by the system changing already-locked missions with lesser boffs that were going to be exchanged/traded for various reasons and it took several purples/blues from me that I NEVER selected and gave me jack squat in return. I'm VERY upset.
  • opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They really need to fix the "known issue" that prevents us from filtering DOFFS. I am really scratching my head why this wasn't implemented for launch. It seems like a must have feature.

Aside from that I have no issues with the new system. Well I would like to see the descriptive text without going into the mission but that is a seriously minor gripe.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • elishathorneelishathorne Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yea the exchange missions kinda suck atm.through the combination of the preset of kill you best officer and the problem of finding another suitable officer

Also a lot of normal missions because they are setup up after crits end up with horrible combination like sending armory officers on research mission although a corresponding blue sci officer would guaranty a success bu tslightly higher crit with the armory officer so he must be better...

My favourite must be when the system wanted me to send 5 lauras on a support as kdf that was kinda annoying. 30% crit and 70% success instead of with my normal setup 33% crit chance and 67% success. sure only 3% but still it just feels dumb.
    Could the system perhaps be setup so that it takes into account the best chance to succeed and after 100% succed goes for the best crit chance.

I get it that the system is set up for crit and that the search box is sorted after best to worst to succed at a mission but it is just a really clunky design if you have 400+ officers...
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What I mean by this is some doff missions (Reqruitment and Operations) require you to trade one of your doffs for a item. With the new UI it automatically puts what doff it seems fit into the mission slot. If you don't watch you will end up tradeing out something good for maybe Junk.

The new doff system needs a better set of options. It needs the options added that lets a player select their doffs by traits and rariety, just like the old one. As it is now its just one huge Cluster #?%$!!!.

Cryptic if you read this. Please add all the old options to the new system. Also add a scalable UI that way we can have more than 4 doff missions on the screen at a time. It needs work. I just hope you guys make it a #1 priority.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Are you sure??? I've never actually risked a purple myself but have been told by others that they have had purples killed on mission.

If you put them into a mission that will "Turn in changeling" or something like that, yes... That Officer will be removed... but thats somewhere around 1% of the missions... probably less.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You cant kill purple doffs.

the only ones are the ones that offer an exchange, or for klingons the ones that allow you to execute crew members.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the new layout i accidentally exchanged Law for a Dosi doff.
    Not fond of the new layout.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Even worse, the rarity of the doffs selected seems to be tied in to the rarity of the mission since the update. I tried the "execute changeling spy" mission and it would only let me put in a purple doff, needless to say I passed on that one and suspect garbage like that is how a lot of people are losing non-white doffs.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It may not be perfect, but it does give MUCH better crit chances than it used to

Also it simply slots what it thinks are the best DOFFs for the task, ignoring casualty rate because it is just meant to optimize crit chances

Its far from perfect, its a complete mess.

The auto slotting doffs feature is a complete fail. Why? because i dont know othe rpeople, but in my case, an example, most of the times i dont want a purple biochemist to return contraband, with a white security officer i have more than enough, or some doffs assignend i dont want em to be there in that assignment even if they give me more critical chance, because i want em in reserve to be used in other assignments that will fit more their specialization.

And this happens with almost 75% on all my assignments.

And at least i hope they implement the sort system as fast as they can, because trying to change the default slotted doffs for 5 or 6 can be a pain. Since they are going to appear already in the candidate roster, even if you already have em sloted in the assignment.. :confused:

In the end, this system is pure TRIBBLE. If you are used to the doff system and how it works, this new doff mechanics is the worst thing that ever happened to it.

I know cryptic is trying to make the game focused to non brained fellows, but this is getting ridiculous. Trying to achieve that (first, they remove the star clusters, now they make a child-based doff ui system) they are destroying the game at little steps.

About killing doffs, only white common can be killed, thats the universal rule, but i experienced weird issues in the past, and i remember having a couple of bugs where 2 purple doffs were killed in some marauding assignments.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    With the new layout i accidentally exchanged Law for a Dosi doff.
    Not fond of the new layout.

And this happens because what i said. Why the hell, if we already have that doff assigned, he appears again in the candidate roster?? its really stupid.
    edited July 2014
    Hrm.. someone Has changed the name of this thread to make it more sensible.

Better than my origional name granted but don't mods inform you when they edit stuff?
  • drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally i don't find the new doff system terribly different than it used to be. I mean the suggestions in the past were frequently not the best choices so i would simply select doffs that achieved the result i was looking for. Sometimes that means using the computer suggestions sometimes not. Under the old system you had to select each doff required for the assignment by hand anyway, so whats the big deal now if you have to change out some of the suggested doffs put in place automatically instead of merely suggested like they were before? Near as i can remember the actual choices of available doffs has not changed, nor have most of the missions; only real difference is how its presented. I don't see a huge difference other than superficial changes in presentation. Once I ran through a few characters worth of doff missions I got the hang of the changes and find they minimally impact any of the missions I regularly did before. Did I miss something? Keep seeing the huge outcry on forums and expect to see game breaking changes, yet all i see is a superficial change in presentation.

PS: If you disagree, rather than flaming me for disagreeing, please do me the courtesy of responding politely with specific examples.
    edited July 2014
    Ahh it seems it got a rename when it got moved.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm hearing more and more similar reports that Purple DOFFs are disappearing out of Rosters. It's now at the level its a serious problem.

But we all knew it was coming. As soon as they started "improving" the DOFF UI, we knew they would TRIBBLE it up somehow. Given all the negative feedback..........why couldn't they have left well enough alone? The old UI worked, was 99.5% bug-free. Now, it's a massive disaster.
  • asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Along with sorting and filters needing to be added, having the "enable officer recommendation"check-box moved to the left border of the doff ui so it is always available would be helpful to toggle on and off when you want to manually place doffs into the selection.
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    opak1 wrote: »
    They really need to fix the "known issue" that prevents us from filtering DOFFS. I am really scratching my head why this wasn't implemented for launch. It seems like a must have feature.

They might have been able to get something in game if only someone had said something when this was on Tribble....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bufflezbufflez Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    this new doff system is a clown car train wreck. we're just going to wait and see if they'll fix it. If not... well at least I won't have to log on every 3-4 hours anymore. hmmm, maybe it's time to check out battlestar galactica online...

P.S. We were screaming about this in the tribble forum as well. There's like... 20 pages there.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I have only read of one actual instance of a purple Doff dying.

In the Doff'ing sub-forum, a player posted that after doing a mission (can't remember which one) his William Shakespeare Doff died. He mentioned that the mission had casualty rating of Extreme, but I forgot what his disaster percentage was.

Regarding the Doff UI...

I will admit that the algorithm does seem to choose Doffs for you which gives pretty decent success and critical success rates, but since players can no longer easily filter their Doffs, it's hard to manually assign Doffs on missions.

Additionally, sometimes I do not want to choose the best Doff for a mission if I am going need high quality Doffs for missions that I will eventually get to. For example, say I am at ESD and i wanna fly to Omega Leonis sector to do the colony chain missions there. Many times I would simply fly there and pick up various Doff missions along the way. I generally avoid selecting any purple Doffs so that I will have them all available for the colony chain missions.