test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Base Turn Rate abysmally Low

markbailey89markbailey89 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Screenshots Here

so in my vor'cha dead stop i read 0.8 turn rate. my scimitar on my alt reads 4.2. that's my first sign of bad things happening to my Klingon.

i have 7 points in to the impulse skill which should boost that and i know standing still severely reduces turn speed but 0.8... come on.

i haven't got a screenshot of this but i added a crappy 5% rcs and while at quarter impulse im only receiving like .3 or .4 of an increase. NO increase at all while at 0 speed.

is there something up with this or?

showing screenshots of 0 speed, 1/4, 1/2 an full

Tried switching to a shuttle and results are pretty much similar. 3 degrees turn rate at 0 speed. surely even in a shuttle that should be a bit higher than a scimitar sitting still
@markbailey89
Tenth Fleet Charlie
Post edited by markbailey89 on

Comments

• jetpaczx49jetpaczx49 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was witness to these tests and it was painful to watch him turn the ship....
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dead stop in ALL ships has a greatly reduced turn rate. In a slow to turn ship, its extremely low. This is by design and normal. I drive a lot of carriers and its very, very bad to try to turn while parked.

If you do not do so, learn to reverse. One click forward and reverse give full turn rate at a low speed; I personally control my speed via the mouse-wheel but you can do whatever you like. Sitting still is bad for anything except a couple of odd fights like the undine planet killer that takes 2 hours (ok, exaggerated a bit there) to kill where you just sit there and shoot at it (I think it shoots back, not sure... no one ever takes any significant damage). In those fights, you don't need to turn anyway.

If you MUST turn while sitting still, use evasive maneuver!

A shuttle should turn decently sitting still. 3 sounds low, but maybe it is that bad when parked. Again, the solution is to NOT park.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's been other threads showing how inconsistent the turn is while stopped. It's probably bugged and no dev understands how.

Thankfully you shouldn't need to care and use Noroblad's advice: always move.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • markbailey89markbailey89 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i do always move, but i was doing a kdf farm and turned to broadside and i couldnt do it. i know ships have a rubbish turn sitting still but look at the examples below:

Atrox carrier - 4.0
    scimitar - 4.2
    vesta - 4.0
    klingon shuttle - 4.0
    Vor'Cha 0.8
    @markbailey89
    Tenth Fleet Charlie
  • jetpaczx49jetpaczx49 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At standstill my JHDC sits at 4.1, where as it is .8 on the OP's ship...
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Turn rate is directly tied to impulse speed with half impulse being the full base turn rate (i think that's the dealio)

If you can't understand that...then know the "bug" so to speak is WAI and this will not be looked into
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited July 2014
    i do understand that. i must not be making myself clear so apologies.

im simply saying no ship should have a turn rate of 0.8 sitting still especially when its a battle cruiser and a true carrier or a dreadnaught carrier is 4+

it was just making me think my character was messed up because i have 7 points in impulse thrusters and a blue mk 8 engine.

no worries ill drop it..
    @markbailey89
    Tenth Fleet Charlie
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Turn rate is directly tied to impulse speed with half impulse being the full base turn rate (i think that's the dealio)

I don't think that's accurate, since I was testing turn rates recently.

My mouse wheel controls the throttle at 20% increments, and there was no difference in displayed turn rate between 40% and 60%. There was a big difference between 20% and 40% though.
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

If you can't understand that...then know the "bug" so to speak is WAI and this will not be looked into

Turn rate's full from quarter impulse up (so also at full reverse which is identical to quarter impulse).

You're saying the turn rate below that speed is also linked to impulse modifier (meaning ships with the same turn modifier will have different turn when stopped depending on their impulse mod) ? Haven't seen that mentioned yet. Will have to look into that.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    0.8 is too low and probably bugged for the one ship, which means it could easily be bugged for many ships. It should just be like 25% of your in-motion value.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This topic sounds familiar to one we had a couple of years ago where the bug is actually the engine used. Swap your impulse engine for another one and check your results again.

Pretty sure you have a buggy engine there.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, guys stop doing maths or watever.. :P. He says 0.8 turn rate sitting still. That is not normal, period. Its probably a bug.
    edited July 2014
    thanks guys ill try a different engine. it was a combat engine and on the exchange it said +11 turn rate and as soon as i was about to equip it it changed to + 0.8
    @markbailey89
    Tenth Fleet Charlie
    edited July 2014
    wierd thing is its 0.8 in system space. but 9 or something in sector space haha so yeah maybe engine
    @markbailey89
    Tenth Fleet Charlie
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I learned something new. That's going in the vault...bugged engines...heh
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited July 2014
    wierd thing is its 0.8 in system space. but 9 or something in sector space haha so yeah maybe engine

Sector space is another different set of values. Don't try to compare them to system.

edited July 2014
    as far as im aware system values take skills modules etc in to account and sector do not.

so for me to have better turn rate in sector space is bizarre.

some people...
    @markbailey89
    Tenth Fleet Charlie
    edited July 2014
    as far as im aware system values take skills modules etc in to account and sector do not.

so for me to have better turn rate in sector space is bizarre.

some people...

It's definitely more complicated.

A) In sector space, your turn rate is at max when sitting still.
    B) Your inertia value is higher if I recall well.
    C) I don't think the turn rate in sector space is even linked to the normal system space turn rate. IE it's either same for all ships or very similar (excluding special ship powers and abilities like all the improved slipstreams etc.)