test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Inspect Medical Supplies mission causes Boffs to fall through geometry.

gill102gill102 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
No matter what nebula or exploration sector you are in, if you go to an Unknown System and get the "Inspect Medical Supplies" mission, it is bugged. After scanning the first crate at the landing site, you get a warning that some faction has beamed down enemies. If you run more than around 20 meters away from the landing site, all of your bridge officers will fall through the geometry and become stuck. This is duplicable on Live.

This has been a bug since the game released 4 years ago. I know this because I reported this bug the first time I encountered the mission after 3 days of playing. I took a hiatus from the game, then came back a year and a half later and ran into the bug again and reported it again.

So, do you not give a TRIBBLE about bug reports, don't read bug reports, or are too damn lazy to at least remove the Inspect Medical Supplies mission from the rotation? 4 years of an obvious, mission-breaking bug is pretty excessive.
Post edited by gill102 on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Still don't care, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Still an issue.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Word is, exploration cluster missions are going away in 9.5. A Dev said it, so the source is reliable.

So you shouldn't need to worry about that mission being bugged.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wow...so rather than do, literally, anything about a completely broken mission, they just wait 4 years then decide to get rid of the whole system? If you ever wanted proof as to why this game was forced to go F2P just to keep going, I'd say this was it. When the dev team doesn't give a TRIBBLE about fixing obvious, duplicable, quality-of-life bugs, why should borderline fans support their game?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Still an issue.
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    The Star Cluster stuff was an experimental system for creating simple, randomized content quickly via an automated process. This was needed when STO launched. The disadvantage was that when these maps broke, they were very difficult and time consuming to fix, and they ultimately hit a state where the time required to fix them was just too much. Combined with STO no longer needing the content provided, as there's now much more higher quality content available, we are retiring the old Star Cluster missions.

All of the Star Cluster missions are being replaced with Duty Officer assignments, as can be seen in the build on the Tribble test server.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The Star Cluster stuff was an experimental system for creating simple, randomized content quickly via an automated process. This was needed when STO launched. The disadvantage was that when these maps broke, they were very difficult and time consuming to fix, and they ultimately hit a state where the time required to fix them was just too much. Combined with STO no longer needing the content provided, as there's now much more higher quality content available, we are retiring the old Star Cluster missions.

All of the Star Cluster missions are being replaced with Duty Officer assignments, as can be seen in the build on the Tribble test server.

So we can still complete the achievements?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Not really as most crash to desktop still when you fly close to a Cluster and try to get the Doff UI to pop up.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

Yes:
    jheinig wrote: »
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17755261#post17755261
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2014

While I do understand where you're coming from, and I do appreciate you're making an effort to keep the accolades around, I will miss the daily 1440 one can get with a quick pop in to them.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i for one have been here since launch. i do the cluster missions from the genisus project. i understand the need for improvement and updating and all that good stuff.
    my concern is about the accolades. i have not completed them all for the clusters in different secors as you need 70 to max out the accolade. some i need alot a couple i will be able to complete before you go live with 9.5 update. are we going to be able to get the accolades that are not going to be available?
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i for one have been here since launch. i do the cluster missions from the genisus project. i understand the need for improvement and updating and all that good stuff.
    my concern is about the accolades. i have not completed them all for the clusters in different secors as you need 70 to max out the accolade. some i need alot a couple i will be able to complete before you go live with 9.5 update. are we going to be able to get the accolades that are not going to be available?

Two posts up:
    lucho80 wrote: »

jheinig wrote: »
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17755261#post17755261
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Combined with STO no longer needing the content provided, as there's now much more higher quality content available, we are retiring the old Star Cluster missions.
    That's subjective.

Your supposed "higher quality" content is repetitive and boring. At least with Star Cluster missions we were given a bit of random encounters and variety. Now you're removing those and expect us to repeat the same old story content and queued content.

And that's why you're losing a player with S9,5. You're removing a piece of content without adding anything in its place. Why should I bother with the game that relies on (monetizing) systems and gimmicks rather than introducing new and interesting gameplay options?

I mean, "DOOOM!!" and all that, but seriously, after over four years (playing since beta) now is the time I'm honestly fed up with all the greedy grindy power creepy alt-unfriendly BS.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'd like to object to the characterization that STO "doesn't need" the content.

It BADLY needs the content...just not that particular iteration of it.

Exploration is a huge part of Star Trek in general, and with the gradual move away from star cluster content, the focus on the war, and then the other war, and then that other war over there, it just doesn't feel as much like Star Trek as it did, or indeed as it should. Why? Because there is nothing to explore.

Exploration NEEDS to be part of any Star Trek experience, and there just isn't any to be had now that the star clusters are going away.

Remember, this wasn't a Star Trek theme park designed for gamers; it was a game designed for Star Trek fans. Turning it into a shooter with starship-shaped widgets just isn't enough for the people who pre-ordered the game and bought lifetime subs at launch. I'm one of them, and I've been here the whole time.

Frankly, this is another reason the dwindling numbers of us "old hands" are put off the grinding mechanic as well. But that's for another discussion entirely.

We need exploration content in the game, and we need it in large quantities. The Foundry doesn't fulfill that, and putting new content creation off as something the users need to do is kinda disingenuous anyway.

If the Star Clusters 1.0 became unsustainable, then it's time to create Star Clusters 2.0. Or a batch of exploration missions that change their details every time. I hate to bring up other games, but look at SWTOR's "Kuat Drive Yards" flashpoint: granted it's a poor example, but you end up with a three-step mission where the three steps are always different, each chosen from a few different choices.

I'm sure a concept like that could be brought in and used to create randomized exploration missions with different twists: the ambassador is kidnapped, the shuttle with the captain is lost in a wormhole, the Breen are trying to throw off the planetary survey, etc.

Yes, it would require new tech, but if that's the only reason not to do it, you're missing the forest for the trees: Star Trek is about explorers. When you remove the star clusters, there will be no more explorers. No explorers, no Star Trek.

Your move, Cryptic. You've impressed me a lot lately. Impress me again. I dare you. :D
  • Options
    rasilekrasilek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »
    I'd like to object to the characterization that STO "doesn't need" the content.

It BADLY needs the content...just not that particular iteration of it.

Exploration is a huge part of Star Trek in general, and with the gradual move away from star cluster content, the focus on the war, and then the other war, and then that other war over there, it just doesn't feel as much like Star Trek as it did, or indeed as it should. Why? Because there is nothing to explore.

Exploration NEEDS to be part of any Star Trek experience, and there just isn't any to be had now that the star clusters are going away.

Remember, this wasn't a Star Trek theme park designed for gamers; it was a game designed for Star Trek fans. Turning it into a shooter with starship-shaped widgets just isn't enough for the people who pre-ordered the game and bought lifetime subs at launch. I'm one of them, and I've been here the whole time.

Frankly, this is another reason the dwindling numbers of us "old hands" are put off the grinding mechanic as well. But that's for another discussion entirely.

We need exploration content in the game, and we need it in large quantities. The Foundry doesn't fulfill that, and putting new content creation off as something the users need to do is kinda disingenuous anyway.

If the Star Clusters 1.0 became unsustainable, then it's time to create Star Clusters 2.0. Or a batch of exploration missions that change their details every time. I hate to bring up other games, but look at SWTOR's "Kuat Drive Yards" flashpoint: granted it's a poor example, but you end up with a three-step mission where the three steps are always different, each chosen from a few different choices.

I'm sure a concept like that could be brought in and used to create randomized exploration missions with different twists: the ambassador is kidnapped, the shuttle with the captain is lost in a wormhole, the Breen are trying to throw off the planetary survey, etc.

Yes, it would require new tech, but if that's the only reason not to do it, you're missing the forest for the trees: Star Trek is about explorers. When you remove the star clusters, there will be no more explorers. No explorers, no Star Trek.

Your move, Cryptic. You've impressed me a lot lately. Impress me again. I dare you. :D

While I hate regurgitating other people's post, i feel an overwhelming need to echo the above. Well said!

Yes, a vast amount of the player base enjoys pew-pew and cool loot. But let's keep our eye on the ball through STO's roadmap, Cryptic. Yes, it is understood that your resources are limited and the game needs to make money for future development...but honestly: Do Star Trek and its fans proud and remember why Starships themselves were invented in the first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yeah. I guess 4 and a half years really isn't that much time. Well, I'll look forward to all the defunct items like the Delta Flier schematic being removed by 2020 or so. Maybe.