Options

Caitian looking humans or others Aliens

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Or you are just going to misunderstand how ST canon works again.

So I assume you have the authority to say how Trek "canon" works?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    evilurnaevilurna Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    JJ Trek is the best Trek anyway. Mostly because of the great action and women are given a high place unlike that droll 60's show where women were ignored at best. It is very progressive and pro social justice.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Y'know, calling it nonsense over and over won't make it an unprofitable strategy.

You know full well what part of it I referred to.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You know, repeating this nonesence over and over again won't make it true.

Fox News would like to have a word with you. :P
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If a person wants to pay THIER money for the option to put tails and ears on thier humanoid then who the hell are we to tell them no.

Cryptic and PWE woud stand to make some good coin to make this option an C-Store unlockable
    as alot of people find this style of customising acceptable and desirable.

Also why cant there be races out there that look human etc etc AND etc with cat ears and tails this is a space game and should have more variety then it does.

I say let them have thier ears and tails if their willing to shell out the coin for it
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    As they look the same of cause you can make that leap, as the catgirls look nothing like Caitians and are not referred to as Caitians, they can't be Caitians.

Also the Klingons in ID look exactly like TNG Klingons with pierced ridges.

When someone refers to the Klingons in a discussion about how alien appearance changes with the creative direction of the production they aren't referring to Into Darkness.

Hell there's even two episodes in ENT that go over this one....

Here's the way to look at it, every show or movie is simply a visual interpretation of a given story line. The next thing to take a crack at the same subject material may use the exact same "method of representation" or it may choose to move in a different direction based on what the creative team think will work best. See. the Borg in First Contact or Assimilation (ENT) versus the borg in Best of Both Worlds. There's plenty of changes, even to the basic nature of the borg and that gave us one of the finest Star Trek movies.

This is a different matter, smaller scale and really more of a token point. But it doesn't matter, canon isn't law as much some people might mistake it as. Its merely a hog-pile of conventions that helps to generally guide later work. If it weren't, well the Klingons would be part of the Federation (TNG Season 2, Samaritan Snare) and the entire galaxy would be within Starfleet's reach (ST5: Final Frontier, where the blue TRIBBLE was locked up). It wouldn't be the Star Trek we know.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ejsphcrispejsphcrisp Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can understand not having the cat parts because of the c-store character, so I will say again, I would like to see the Jem'Hadar chin unlocked for the alien species, we have everything else.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ejsphcrisp wrote: »
    I can understand not having the cat parts because of the c-store character, so I will say again, I would like to see the Jem'Hadar chin unlocked for the alien species, we have everything else.

Well here's the problem with that logic I just noticed. FED aliens have access to all Klingon parts. That species is however a C-store unlock. Reman parts show up across the board as well.

If indeed a rule, as such, it's a pretty arbitrary one.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    When someone refers to the Klingons in a discussion about how alien appearance changes with the creative direction of the production they aren't referring to Into Darkness.

Hell there's even two episodes in ENT that go over this one....

Here's the way to look at it, every show or movie is simply a visual interpretation of a given story line. The next thing to take a crack at the same subject material may use the exact same "method of representation" or it may choose to move in a different direction based on what the creative team think will work best. See. the Borg in First Contact or Assimilation (ENT) versus the borg in Best of Both Worlds. There's plenty of changes, even to the basic nature of the borg and that gave us one of the finest Star Trek movies.

This is a different matter, smaller scale and really more of a token point. But it doesn't matter, canon isn't law as much some people might mistake it as. Its merely a hog-pile of conventions that helps to generally guide later work. If it weren't, well the Klingons would be part of the Federation (TNG Season 2, Samaritan Snare) and the entire galaxy would be within Starfleet's reach (ST5: Final Frontier, where the blue TRIBBLE was locked up). It wouldn't be the Star Trek we know.

The updated appearances of Klingons (between TOS and TNG) and the Borg (between ?TNG and VOY) are confirmed to be the same race within the show.

If the catgirls were called Caitians in ID than it would be another, in a long list, of amusing continuity errors in ST, however as it stands they aren't and only ridiculously over-complex explanations can make them the same race.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ejsphcrisp wrote: »

We don't really unlock or choose chins the same way we choose noses, foreheads, and ears. There are sliders in the advanced options to adjust the chin though.

And here is a handy little link for anyone wanting to create an iconic Star Trek alien from the show that aren't naturally in the game.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    syfyguy64syfyguy64 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not scared of stupid aliens, I in fact want stupid aliens.
    But I don't want people to view this game as simply a character creator that has badges and military gear. People who have inch thick neck beards with posters of Anime and Furry nonsense replacing the neck beards with posters of Kirk and Spock and Star Trek nonsense.
    If they want to have humans with animal features, make your own MMO, don't ruin STO worse than it already is.
    Bikini's are probably a step too far, although...
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    syfyguy64 wrote: »
    I'm not scared of stupid aliens, I in fact want stupid aliens.
    But I don't want people to view this game as simply a character creator that has badges and military gear. People who have inch thick neck beards with posters of Anime and Furry nonsense replacing the neck beards with posters of Kirk and Spock and Star Trek nonsense.
    If they want to have humans with animal features, make your own MMO, don't ruin STO worse than it already is.
    Bikini's are probably a step too far, although...

Guess it's good you have no say in the matter.

If playing dressup is what people like, then more power to them.*

Hell, when I don't feel like farming marks for the 10,000th time I sometimes just go to the tailor and "play dressup".

*Yes, I've requested a LOCAL COMPUTER option to show other players as standardized characters. But that in no way impacts THEIR ability to look how they want.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That is exactly the rationale behind my two characters, that after M'Ress got famous due to holonovels based on Kirk's adventures there was an influx of human immigrants seeking Caitian mates. Fast forward a couple of centuries and the hybrids are a small but established subspecies with a small colony world of their own.

Really, it makes sense.

I th...errr wait...

wut?

:eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    They really should add them to the alien creator for those who purchased them. I mean, I don't think you'll get more stupid aliens.

Besides, my Navi needs a tail.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, there are Caitians with human ears on Nimbus. Not to mention other aliens with lots of features not traditional for that species.

Friend explained it as resulting from the limited gene pool there.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    howd you make a navi?

Just look at a picture of one and go into the alien creator and do your best. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. The two biggest issues are no tails and the nose. Navi have a filine like nose, and it's hard to appoximate it in the character creator.

My next project was a Minbari, that one is pretty easy.

Last attempt was a Narn, but just couldn't get it to work out, to me the defining feature is the shape around the eyes, and I couldn't get that look in the character creator.

Oh, I also have a Dark Elf/Drow :)