edited June 2014
    My Prediction...

England Vs Italy

England 1 - 1 Italy (tie)

It's 1 - 0 for Italy atm...

DAJE ITALIA FORZA AZZURRIIII
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    c R o A t I a :P :P :P
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I must be the only person I know who isn't interested or impressed by the hype.

I feel the same about the Olympics -- is it REALLY worth all the drama it creates? Are a few sporting events (or games/matches, what have you) REALLY so critical to our lives that the world has to stop turning? Sports are big money. And there's the reputation and prestige that comes with winning. I get that.

Outside the obvious...why does anyone care? It's still JUST a sport!
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    giotariz wrote: »
    It's 1 - 0 for Italy atm...

DAJE ITALIA FORZA AZZURRIIII

Half time: England 1 Italy 1

Good game so far with plenty of passing, both side backwards and forwards into each other's half. Too close to make a prediction yet!

COME ON ENGLAND.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    everytime your team wins u get a testosterone rush, leading to increased hair growth
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I must be the only person I know who isn't interested or impressed by the hype.

I feel the same about the Olympics -- is it REALLY worth all the drama it creates? Are a few sporting events (or games/matches, what have you) REALLY so critical to our lives that the world has to stop turning? Sports are big money. And there's the reputation and prestige that comes with winning. I get that.

It's about national pride more than anything else - being able to say your nation has the best footballers/tennis players/boxers/swimmers/cyclists, etc. I know I don't usually pay attention to sports (unless it's cricket) until the World or European Cup (or the Ashes or Olympics). That's because it's something that gets the whole country together.

Also, these events can do a lot for communities. The 2012 Olympics gave Stratford a much-needed economic boost (and London overall). The South African FIFA World Cup bought the entire country together in the hope of a better economic future...

For 2000 years, sport has been a unifying force for society.
  • Options
    imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    *rant's about the expenses of the world cup that should have gone to the extreme amount of poor people in Brazil*
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    It's about national pride more than anything else - being able to say your nation has the best footballers/tennis players/boxers/swimmers/cyclists, etc. I know I don't usually pay attention to sports (unless it's cricket) until the World or European Cup (or the Ashes or Olympics). That's because it's something that gets the whole country together.

Also, these events can do a lot for communities. The 2012 Olympics gave Stratford a much-needed economic boost (and London overall). The South African FIFA World Cup bought the entire country together in the hope of a better economic future...

For 2000 years, sport has been a unifying force for society.

national pride... what a silly concept. dont tell me that type of hype is what you think about? real implications, football players are paid obscene amounts to run around a pitch and kick a rubber ball for 90 minutes, supposedly representing their artificial nation with a silly bit of colored cloth and the rest of us toil away earning less then a fraction they can get for 40 hours + a week, non stop.

as far as africa is concerned, it was europe that destroyed that economy in the first place and this game is hardly bringing a continent together thats been fragmented for well over a century.

and this 2k year thing, these days "sport" as you call it is ran by businesses, say what you like but thats the truth of the issue. you see this little thing called "money" is what runs the world and most evil man made drug on this planet.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, good game, Italy. Hopefully, we'll do better against Uruguay next week.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Was surprised about the Costa Rica win as well. I see a lot of bookies tearing their hairs out if the WC continues like this.

It's underdog winning streak so far.

Well, I wouldn't say it's an underdog winning streak. So far, Costa Rica is the only true underdog that snatched up a victory and I'm kinda' happy for them, they played their hearts out and deserved it. That's the beauty of the game.

Other than that so far:

Brazil 3 - 1 Croatia; an obvious favourite here
    Mexico 1 - 0 Cameroon; Mexico is far from an underdog in a match with Cameroon
    Spain 1 - 5 Netherlands; Spain might be the actual World Champion, but I can't really call a team like the Netherlands an underdog.
    Chile 3 - 1 Australia; an obvious favourite here
    Colombia 3 - 0 Greece; again, Colombia can't be the underdog here although their win was bigger than expected

And the last one so far, England 1 - 2 Italy - no underdog here, regardless who'd have won this one.
    I can't say I didn't expect Italy to end up victorious since the England team doesn't strike me as one capable of winning the big matches, although I have to admit I'm pleasantly suprised by the Liverpool part of the English national team, they seem to have kept their form from the Premier League.
    c R o A t I a :P :P :P

>link< :P
    daqhegh wrote: »

It's all in good fun. It's not that anyone cares too much in some specific manner, although there are countries that tend to take football way to seriously, especially in South America.
    What I can say about me and my friends is that is all just in good fun, getting together to watch some matches and have fun togehter, plus it's a global event happenng once in 4 years. Some of us also just enjoy watching football.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hehe, i was expecting an underdog to cause a major upset, but Costa Rica! now Ivory coast beat japan and everyone i met said japan would walk to the next round unopposed with such weak competition, but i was still expecting another upset and got it with the african team.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hehe, i was expecting an underdog to cause a major upset, but Costa Rica! now Ivory coast beat japan and everyone i met said japan would walk to the next round unopposed with such weak competition, but i was still expecting another upset and got it with the african team.

Ivory Coast winning is not an upset at all. They are a very good side and about 20 places higher up than Japan in the world rankings.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ivory Coast winning is not an upset at all. They are a very good side and about 20 places higher up than Japan in the world rankings.

african teams are not known for their football though, thats what makes it so fun to watch, its like an underdog snaching it away from those with far bigger budgets, training and such. im just wondering when the day comes an african team wins the WC :P. senegal came close in 02 before getting KO by turkey and taking 7th best team in the world the same with ghana.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,335 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    everytime your team wins u get a testosterone rush, leading to increased hair growth

That explains the Brazilian wax.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Lets hope the engraving on the cup is already finished and it is "brazil". This world cup is no fun and is no sport. Its and industry, bringing a country close to a collapse, what a shame.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    you mean american rugby :P

Well, rugby for people that need armour to play it :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    lebtron wrote: »
    Lets hope the engraving on the cup is already finished and it is "brazil". This world cup is no fun and is no sport. Its and industry, bringing a country close to a collapse, what a shame.

indeed. riots in brazil, even before the WC the poor were left in shacks, living in dirty huts, hot and humid conditions, gangs of bullies rally every other day to pick on the weak like clockwork, and half a mile over in the city center, all clean rich toffs living off the backs of the weak just because they can. you wanna know why brazil is one of the richest in the world? because they spend nothing on the poor. its a way of life out there unfortunately. i would hate to end up living in a favela or a poorly built corrigated iron and wood hut when the monsoon like conditions in sticky hot conditions in the night, all the time wondering when im gonna stop going hungry and thirsty, when will the roof stop leaking water all over the matress, when will the cockroches stop gathering for a potential feast on my body, when will these flies go away.

i hadnt forgotten.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    national pride... what a silly concept. dont tell me that type of hype is what you think about? real implications, football players are paid obscene amounts to run around a pitch and kick a rubber ball for 90 minutes, supposedly representing their artificial nation with a silly bit of colored cloth and the rest of us toil away earning less then a fraction they can get for 40 hours + a week, non stop.

as far as africa is concerned, it was europe that destroyed that economy in the first place and this game is hardly bringing a continent together thats been fragmented for well over a century.

and this 2k year thing, these days "sport" as you call it is ran by businesses, say what you like but thats the truth of the issue. you see this little thing called "money" is what runs the world and most evil man made drug on this planet.

I always thought it was crazy anyone could train and toss a ball around and get paid millions. While the rest of people who perform hard and sometimes back-breaking work and don't even get 1/10th of what the sports people are paid.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I always thought it was crazy anyone could train and toss a ball around and get paid millions. While the rest of people who perform hard and sometimes back-breaking work and don't even get 1/10th of what the sports people are paid.

the prime minister of the uk doesnt get anything close to what these sports types get which just shows the contrast even with full scrounger power within the party powerbase, a footballer like van persie or hamilton in formula 1 can gain double digit millions for just over an hours work in front of cameras and acting like loosers if they like, a little sponsorship time and beyond that, nothing. yes the prices are really silly. most of which could of been used to get some of these issues in our world sorted.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

There is a word for that, it's called 'capitalism'.

Anyway guys, let's not derail this thread with social, political or economic issues. This thread is about football/soccer and the ongoing World Championship in this sport.

Argentina won last night! YAY! :D And Messi finally socred!! YAY!! :D
    However, I am slightly dissapoint. Even as an Argentina fan I'll be objective and say that Bosnia & Herzegovina was very very unlucky and fully deserved not only to draw the game, but to win it.
    I hope our Argentine team realizes that they're in Brazil to play football instead of the badminton they were playing last night. It was trully depressing to watch for me, apart from some 20 minutes when they played like they know to play, they didn't play anything as I expected them to do. Let's hope that it's just game 1 and they need to get the ball rolling, sort of speak, so they'll start playing good attractive football during the rest of the WC.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    There is a word for that, it's called 'capitalism'.

Anyway guys, let's not derail this thread with social, political or economic issues. This thread is about football/soccer and the ongoing World Championship in this sport.

Argentina won last night! YAY! :D And Messi finally socred!! YAY!! :D
    However, I am slightly dissapoint. Even as an Argentina fan I'll be objective and say that Bosnia & Herzegovina was very very unlucky and fully deserved not only to draw the game, but to win it.
    I hope our Argentine team realizes that they're in Brazil to play football instead of the badminton they were playing last night. It was trully depressing to watch for me, apart from some 20 minutes when they played like they know to play, they didn't play anything as I expected them to do. Let's hope that it's just game 1 and they need to get the ball rolling, sort of speak, so they'll start playing good attractive football during the rest of the WC.

the social and political issues are apart of the sport in brazil right now. its a hot topic if the football in brazil is worth the effort or not as a knock on effect elsewhere so that makes it completely relevant and nothing is derailed and attempting to try and strip one from the other would like taking the tires off a racing car just moments before the race. if your asking to focus on the sports side then thats fine.

the one im focusing on is not the portugal vs germany, its the iran vs nigeria match. it would be great to see if iran can win some points and give the middle east some hope they can up their own countries game and see themselves in that group more often. i hope iran makes QF :P. i also like to support the underdog and according to seed, iran is 49th to nigeria at 33rd.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ...and now with portugal taking a hammering its becoming clear germany and holland are ones to watch.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ...and now with portugal taking a hammering its becoming clear germany and holland are ones to watch.

I still can't believe i missed that game.
    A colleague went home sick and i was the reserve. 4-0 was a larger difference than i expected.

It's going to be interesting to see how the red devils (Belgium) perform. Belgium has been down in the dumps for years, but recently they seem to have a good team/thing going for them.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    A colleague went home sick and i was the reserve. 4-0 was a larger difference than i expected.

It's going to be interesting to see how the red devils (Belgium) perform. Belgium has been down in the dumps for years, but recently they seem to have a good team/thing going for them.

belgium picked up 2 goals but got smacked in the face by algeria once. however it has put belgium in a good position for the next few games but i wouldnt expect them to win many more rounds.

figured as much about brazil, they drew against mexico of all countries! when they got lucky against the likes of croatia a few days back i could see their boat was sinking before it even left the docks, just a delayed reaction of luck its why i didnt put brazil in with germany and holland for the title because i can spot talent and brazil lacked it.

i was hoping nigeria or iran would get a point though, there was nothing there, but get this as the nigerians were rioting, the iranians were celebrating like mad apparently at the draw, crazy! :P.

i want to see where south korea are with their football as they are an unpredictable quantity, the russians are atypical solid sports players as ever, any team that can score 4 points over another team is easily one of the more interesting teams to watch out for, but then again it could be flattering to deceive.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    0-1 advantage South Korea vs Russia

Roughly 25 minutes to go. I like the fighting spirit from the Koreans even though it's a young team. Russia is playing too defensive. It's boring.

Edit: TRIBBLE. 1-1 Go Korea!!
  • Options
    edited June 2014

To be honest, my opinion is that Portugal has always had a mediocre team (in terms of title challengers) with 2-3 shining stars like C.Ronaldo or Nani, but it has proven time and time over that you can't depend on 2-3 excellent players to bring the trophy home.
    And I also have no idea why they call the likes of Pepe in national teams, sure the guy has talent, but he activates his brain like once per decade. And his behavior in Real Madrid was shockingly calm this last season, so he spent his credit on using the brain for this decade, mt.
    Honestly, I'm suprised by how reserved the German team was after Pepe's red card. Knowing Germany, they could have pumped it to 6-7 goals easily and completely demoralise the Portugal squad. I think they just decided to take it easy since it's only the start of the championship for them and not to get overwhelmed by the opportunity presented to them.

Belgium came back from 0-1 to win it and they really have a good team this time. I think they started slowly due to being overwhelmed by the achievment and possibly needed some time to get used to the climate in Brazil, just like Switzerland.

Brazil....well I can't really say they are dissapointing at the start since they pretty much are on the right track of achieving their goals, but this is not the team and the football everyone expected of them. Mexico is a team that had more success in causing troubles for Brazil than any other team in history, so them holding on to a draw is not that big of a shock.
    Also all my compliments to the Mexican team, they were bold, their manager said that they don't intend to defend themselves against Brazil and they did play offensively and threatened Brazil on multiple ocassions. They fully deserved their 1 point.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2014
    0-1 advantage South Korea vs Russia

Roughly 25 minutes to go. I like the fighting spirit from the Koreans even though it's a young team. Russia is playing too defensive. It's boring.

Edit: TRIBBLE. 1-1 Go Korea!!

Got to see this game at my Dad's nursing home. My goalkeeper brother is in town and he just kept marveling throughout the game at the poor ball handling by both keepers. In fact, he was predicting the score against the Russians would be because the keeper couldn't control the ball.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hehe, plucky aussies, they almost had the dutch running for cover. atm spain are getting their backsides handed to them by chile.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Not that I'm always right, but...
    shpoks wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is, the Spanish game has been read by all teams by now and they need to change something and inovate very fast, because as it is Chile could very much send them packing for home and they could suffer France's faith from the WC after the French were World Champions.

...when I'm right, I'm right. ;)

Spain 0 - 2 Chile

Congratulations Chile for qualifying for the second round, you showed the world how one plays for the national jersey!
    HQroeLu.jpg