test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

link personal armor and shield to uniform slots

ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
STO isnt an RPG, so we dont have things like armor vs mobility, but we can still do some things to at least keep people from wearing bikini to dungeon zones

Assume that the shield emitter and armor is part of the uniform, so you only have it when you're wearing a uniform (or an armor type). You do not have them with off-duty or formal wear.

Therefore, simple solution to the issue is simply link personal armor and shields to uniform slots.

edit--simpler still would be to simply disable armor/shield slots with non-uniform costume
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Or just set up an armour outfit. The "2 tailor slots for every character" C-Store item is probably the best value item in the C-Store.
  • Options
    medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's actually not a bad idea. Wearing an off-duty outfit in combat? NO SHIELD OR ARMOR FOR YOU!
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How about NO!
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ... Therefore, simple solution to the issue is simply link personal armor and shields to uniform slots.

You people do realise everytime ther's some game mechanics change, ther's the possibility for aditional game bugs.

linking outfit slots to equipped slots could create additional issues beyond the intended, that would take how long to get fixed, if ever ...

that is unnecessary mechanic change that could lead to unintended problems.

in this case, "Keep It Simple Stupid" (KISS) like the defari, the best solution is to do nothing.
    Less work, Less Bugs, Less things to fix when it breaks (and it would brake) is the simplest way to have a better game.

Another reason is that recently, developers separated the armour looks and they're equipping, which allows more flexibility in looks and made so many people pleased with it. a step in a different direction would be walking backwards.

oh ... and please, don't be a dictator on what other players should wear or not, I'm sure there's and alien race out there, that does heavy combat in bikinis, it can't be more ridiculous that the scify weird stuff that shows up occasionally.

sory if i can't agree on you're suggestion, but part of a online game is to accept other people don't play exactly as you would like them to. :)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Therefore, simple solution to the issue is simply link personal armor and shields to uniform slots.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to disable off-duty in combat areas?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Technically... there is a species that wears bikinis into battle, and they are already in game.

ORIONS!

Anyways... I also have to say bad idea on linking equipment to costumes. Makes no sense as we have costume slots. Besides... what if my fleet wants to do a formal attire run of a ground STF? Or just a totally off the wall off duty outfit run? And then there's the RPrs who might want to be in a formal dress for a Colony Invasion, and make like they were at the local club or something when the attack happens and want to reinact something from Tomb Raider Legend?

They've already locked swimwear to Risa anyways. Why throw even more restrictions onto people?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    what if my fleet wants to do a formal attire run of a ground STF? Or just a totally off the wall off duty outfit run? And then there's the RPrs who might want to be in a formal dress for a Colony Invasion, and make like they were at the local club or something when the attack happens and want to reinact something from Tomb Raider Legend?

They've already locked swimwear to Risa anyways. Why throw even more restrictions onto people?

Actually my proposal would allow you to wear whatever you want wherever you want, with the caveat that you would only have armor and shields when wearing uniform/armor pieces. If you want to wear bikini into KAGE go ahead, but it comes with risk for whatever reward you are getting out of it. Risk-reward makes for good gameplay. Why do you hate good gameplay?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Actually my proposal would allow you to wear whatever you want wherever you want, with the caveat that you would only have armor and shields when wearing uniform/armor pieces. If you want to wear bikini into KAGE go ahead, but it comes with risk for whatever reward you are getting out of it. Risk-reward makes for good gameplay. Why do you hate good gameplay?

Put it this way - Normally motorcycle leathers are the external layer. You could wear a suit or a bikini above them - doesn't mean you aren't wearing the leathers to protect yourself, just that your suit or bikini will be ruined if you end up sliding down the road.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Gets into the simpler option of removing the ability to hide armor then, eh?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Gets into the simpler option of removing the ability to hide armor then, eh?

It was better when you had an option to hide/display armour, it meant you could display armour and uniforms on Boffs without the constant trips to the tailor it requires now...
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2014
    STO isnt an RPG, so we dont have things like armor vs mobility, but we can still do some things to at least keep people from wearing bikini to dungeon zones

Assume that the shield emitter and armor is part of the uniform, so you only have it when you're wearing a uniform (or an armor type). You do not have them with off-duty or formal wear.

Actually your proposal is "I don't like what other players are wearing into combat, Cryptic please give them a penalty for doing so"

The simple solution is to leave it as Cryptic designed it, the "Bikini in Dungeons" issue will be fixed at some point most likely.

Even though Cryptic is the one who allowed off-duty outfits to be worn by all factions recently and they have been able to be used where ever you like, Mercenary outfit is still an off-duty outfit but could be considered to be a uniform by some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Actually your proposal is "I don't like what other players are wearing into combat, Cryptic please give them a penalty for doing so"

Yes a penalty, to discourage it, not to prevent it.

When cryptic fixes the bugs you'll have nothing. This is a way to have something, but you wont be using it in pugs to troll other players who are looking for STAR TREK immersion experience.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Risk-reward makes for good gameplay. Why do you hate good gameplay?

Ah, Risk vs. Reward, one of the least understood and most exposed concepts in games.

If you don't like Orions try giving the Federation a try.

And when has actual armor been worn on away missions on the TV shows? Or personal shields? A phaser, a tricorder, and a commbadge were the standard load out.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2014

When cryptic fixes the bugs you'll have nothing. This is a way to have something, but you wont be using it in pugs to troll other players who are looking for STAR TREK immersion experience.

Ah yes Star Trek immersion, like in the shows where they went into ground combat wearing what looks like combat armour from Mass Effect and had those nifty personal shields? Oh wait... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Worst idea ever. Are you seriously saying that mercenaries shouldn't have armor and shields?
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Why does it need a penalty to discourage it? Your poor immersion doesn't mean anything to me. Being able to use things I've paid for matters to me.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2014

Curious as to what teaming que god you have offended as I have run the ground sft ques for 2 years without being trolled, players that didn't have a clue what to do, yep been there but that is not being trolled so what do you mean?

PS the Immersion breaking argument just seems silly, other than ST: Insurrection when did we ever see the show characters carrying any type of heavy weapon [ worfs bazooka thingy ] or even deploying bombs/minefeilds, turrets, or quantum mortars? standard fare was hand phaser, their starfleet uniform and a tricorder, I don't even recall the characters in any type of armor or personal shields carrying pulsewave assault rifles. if you are trying to have that kind of experience a private que of friends would be better for immersion.

It still seems your argument is I can't have fun my way so I want cryptic to bow to me and change it, good luck with that. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I've gone into full reasoning before (which is more involved and envisions some very longterm features) but I would simply link trait loadouts to costume slots and certain types of costumes would have access to different trait pools.

You're in swimwear? Fine But your only combat traits are distraction based and prone to backfiring and the majority of the traits involved are non-combat based.